ADVERTISEMENT

What was god purpose for creating humans?

1. Teach a 5 year old that eating candy without permission is wrong
2. Put candy on the kitchen counter
3. Leave the room for awhile
4. Return and find candy has been eaten

The parent knows well the kid will be tempted and likely eats the candy and upon return is not surprised the candy is gone. Nonetheless, the kid was still free to make a choice.
an omnipotent creator has more direct control than a parent

parents didn't make a conscious choice to enable a child to misbehave or disobey...or maybe more accurately - parents didn't have an option to create a perfectly obedient child, god did and chose not to

So I watched this guy. Did you actually watch the whole thing?

He tries to explain behavioral economics evolution separate from physical/biological evolution using the same principles but what he ultimately describes is still physical/biological evolution.

Further, he asserts that behavioral traits are passed down (referring to genetics) while not distinguishing from learned behavior. What he describes is simply learned behavior - no explanation for genetic inheritance of behavior. It is all just learned behavior and he conveniently never uses the word “instinct.” No evidence for passing anything down therefore, the offspring must learn from scratch the same behavior by their elders.

He also asserts that animals in the wild can quantify themselves and then compare against other systems to make behavioral judgement.

Lastly, he asserts himself that there are “selfish genes” (his words) and that is incredibly counter-productive towards this argument.

Like many professors, he uses word salad to sound smart but ends up teaching nothing. I ended up feeling bad for the students that had to suffer through that lecture.

I would be very careful positioning genetic behavioral evolution ideas. That is how the Eugenics movement started over a hundred years ago. I don’t think you want to open that can of worms. If you follow this to its logical conclusion - that’s exactly what you will end up doing.

I will still assert that human beings display a certain instinctive morality and a sense of altruism from a very early age that is clearly not learned behavior. Science cannot account for this (yet).
I mostly agree with this assertion and it is consistent with biological models of evolution and social behavior. Devine intervention is possible but not required.

You don’t have kids do you? If you did, you wouldn’t bother making this assertion.
I’ve got two. Grown ass men. They are doing great and I never once knew what they were going to do before they did it. And I never once demanded that they do anything that they were absolutely opposed to doing. So I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

Perfectly obedient child would equal a robot.

There is no joy when a robot tell you “I love you.”

There is abundant joy when a child chooses to tell you “I love you.”
and do parents have any responsibility to "earn" the love of their children?

if a parent purposely did horrific things to test them (or allowed horrific things to happen that they could easily prevent), would you say their children should still love them?

and do parents have any responsibility to "earn" the love of their children?

if a parent purposely did horrific things to test them (or allowed horrific things to happen that they could easily prevent), would you say their children should still love them?
No.

Define “horiffic.” As a parent, I put my children through situations and tasks that they would describe as scary but are designed to strengthen them. Yes, in spite of what the child may deem as “horrific,” the goal is to trust and love their parent.

No.

Define “horiffic.” As a parent, I put my children through situations and tasks that they would describe as scary but are designed to strengthen them. Yes, in spite of what the child may deem as “horrific,” the goal is to trust and love their parent.
job was mentioned earlier in the thread. if a parent purposely destroyed basically everything in a child's life just to prove a point to someone else, would that parent be deserving of their child's love?

Reactions: artradley
If God can’t do evil it’s impossible that he created man with the knowledge he would be disobedient . Doing so would be evil and unrighteous. Traits that God is not capable of. Apparently there is a lot of people who think God can be associated with evil things. That’s the real disappointment of this whole discussion.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
job was mentioned earlier in the thread. if a parent purposely destroyed basically everything in a child's life just to prove a point to someone else, would that parent be deserving of their child's love?
God didn’t do those things to Job.
Satan was the one who said a man will abandon God in times of hardship. God dignified Job enough and trusted him enough to know Job would keep his integrity . Which he did and was richly rewarded for . As stated Job gained back all he lost and in the resurrection he will see those children he lost in death .

Reactions: Hendy hawk

The parent knows well the kid will be tempted and likely eats the candy and upon return is not surprised the candy is gone. Nonetheless, the kid was still free to make a choice.
So I'm as all-knowing as god? I designed the kids?
I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion.

The Job scenario will not translate well to human parenting since human parents do not have the ability to talk to Satan and permit him to torment someone.

That being said, maybe a real life scenario could be a case with a drug addicted child who needs real help. A loving parent may decide to “destroy” that child’s world by removing them from the criminal element and forcing them into rehab. The parent is showing love through extreme discipline and worthy of love. This is apples to oranges compared to Job of course.

God is a loving Father but God also takes on the form of King in Jesus Christ. Our culture today looks down upon the monarchy and we are several hundred years removed from real Kingdoms. But, the idea is to love and trust your King and if your King asks you to do something, you do it. Kings used to order their men to march off to war and certain death.

Job loved God so much he was willing to suffer because that is what his God ordained. Doesn’t make sense to us mortals but it made sense to the King (God).

So I'm as all-knowing as god? I designed the kids?
I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion.
Don’t hear what I did not say Belem.

Human child/parent relationships are good for understanding God as a Father.

As an aside, there is a lot of research on this and studies have found if a human has a bad relationship with their father, they will likely have a hard time accepting God the Father.

Reactions: BrianNole777
The Job scenario will not translate well to human parenting since human parents do not have the ability to talk to Satan and permit him to torment someone.

That being said, maybe a real life scenario could be a case with a drug addicted child who needs real help. A loving parent may decide to “destroy” that child’s world by removing them from the criminal element and forcing them into rehab. The parent is showing love through extreme discipline and worthy of love. This is apples to oranges compared to Job of course.

God is a loving Father but God also takes on the form of King in Jesus Christ. Our culture today looks down upon the monarchy and we are several hundred years removed from real Kingdoms. But, the idea is to love and trust your King and if your King asks you to do something, you do it. Kings used to order their men to march off to war and certain death.

Job loved God so much he was willing to suffer because that is what his God ordained. Doesn’t make sense to us mortals but it made sense to the King (God).
you're the one who equate god to parents...i think its a crappy analogy and it seems like you're beginning to agree

also, god didn't do that to job to help him...he did that to job to prove a point to the devil

a more apt analogy would be for a parent to purposely get their high acheiving child addicted to drugs just to prove to some other parent that they could then "un-addict" them to drugs...and i'd ask again (since you want to equate god to parents)...would a parent that does that have earned the love of their child?

As an aside, there is a lot of research on this and studies have found if a human has a bad relationship with their father, they will likely have a hard time accepting God the Father.

Interesting.

That reminds me of atheist philosophers like Camus, Sartre and Schopenhauer that were fatherless.

you're the one who equate god to parents...i think its a crappy analogy and it seems like you're beginning to agree

also, god didn't do that to job to help him...he did that to job to prove a point to the devil

a more apt analogy would be for a parent to purposely get their high acheiving child addicted to drugs just to prove to some other parent that they could then "un-addict" them to drugs...and i'd ask again (since you want to equate god to parents)...would a parent that does that have earned the love of their child?
You lost me and could not disagree more. God uses Father (Abba father) often in the Bible to describe Himself. New NT Greek uses Storge love as the type of love for a family member. Therefore, parenting relationship and seeing God as a loving Father is all too important.

Parable of the Prodigal son is a perfect example.

Interesting.

That reminds me of atheist philosophers like Camus, Sartre and Schopenhauer that were fatherless.
Quick read (from a secular source) on the father wound and its profound impact:

Don’t hear what I did not say Belem.

Human child/parent relationships are good for understanding God as a Father.

You're trying to model the god/human relationship based on a human/human relationship. But god is an all knowing being who created us.
It's not a good analogy.

You're trying to model the god/human relationship based on a human/human relationship. But god is an all knowing being who created us.
It's not a good analogy.
It was good enough for God, no?

The parable of the Prodigal Son is a great example. Jesus explains God as a loving Father.

I tell my kids I’m omniscient by telling them “I see all and know all!”

Thank you for an insightful discussion. Neither one of us changed each other‘s minds, but a great thing about freedom and free will, we have the ability to share perspectives back-and-forth, but neither are forced to accept the other ones position.
Like I said, friend, I don’t want to take anyone’s faith away or de-convert anyone. Life is challenging enough as it is, and if belief in god helps someone through life I’m all for it.

Frankly, I wish I could share the faith you have. And FTR, I consider myself a non-resistant non-believer. In other words, I am open to whatever is true and if there is in fact an omnipotent and omniscient supreme being who takes an interest in the affairs of this world, I am more than open to this supreme being revealing himself (or herself) to me.

It just hasn’t happened yet.

Best wishes to you all the same.

To me, "God" exists not as a conscious entity, but as the Universe itself. I think a lot of people are comforted and find meaning in life by making their view of God as human like as possible. And I've never understood why that is.

To me, "God" exists not as a conscious entity, but as the Universe itself. I think a lot of people are comforted and find meaning in life by making their view of God as human like as possible. And I've never understood why that is.

God was human in Christianity.

Jesus is God made Man. :)

And Jesus isn't a myth like Zeus, Thor or Odin.

I mostly agree with this assertion and it is consistent with biological models of evolution and social behavior. Devine intervention is possible but not required.
When we're talking about behavior, we call it punishment and reward.

When we're talking about economics, we call it supply and demand.

When we're talking about evolution, we call it survival of the fittest.

The basic rules are the same.

God was human in Christianity.

Jesus is God made Man. :)

And Jesus isn't a myth like Zeus, Thor or Odin.
Hinduism has the same thing, where various gods take on human avatars. That's where we get the word "avatar."

Just one of many concepts Christianity copied from other mythologies.

Jesus the man may very well have existed. Jesus the god is on the same footing as any other claimed embodiment of gods and is no less a myth than Zeus, Thor or Odin.

Hinduism has the same thing, where various gods take on human avatars. That's where we get the word "avatar."

Jesus the man may very well have existed. Jesus the god is on the same footing as any other claimed embodiment of gods and is no less a myth than Zeus, Thor or Odin.

Groups of people saw Jesus resurrected from the dead so I respectfully disagree. :)

Hinduism is legalism.

Christianity is the opposite of legalism.

God taking on human form as substitutional atonement for the sins of the world is a unique, defining characteristic of the Christian faith.

Hinduism is legalism.

Christianity is the opposite of legalism.

God taking on human form as substitutional atonement for the sins of the world is a unique, defining characteristic of the Christian faith.

If we live the Christian life, we'll be OK in the Hindu afterlife as well. :)

Last edited:
When Jesus said "Enter through the narrow gate" does that mean most humans will NOT be saved?

Not sure.

The context of who He was speaking to is important (Jews following Torah, Pharisees, Sadducees). I think he was explaining that there would be many who say one thing but do another. I also think He was explaining the Christian road would be tough and taking up His cross would not be easy. Just my 2-cents.

Not sure.

The context of who He was speaking to is important (Jews following Torah, Pharisees, Sadducees). I think he was explaining that there would be many who say one thing but do another. I also think He was explaining the Christian road would be tough and taking up His cross would not be easy. Just my 2-cents.

Great points.

Frankly, I wish I could share the faith you have. And FTR, I consider myself a non-resistant non-believer. In other words, I am open to whatever is true and if there is in fact an omnipotent and omniscient supreme being who takes an interest in the affairs of this world, I am more than open to this supreme being revealing himself (or herself) to me.
Many will scoff at what I'm about to say, but I'll say it anyway.

My recommendation would be to stay the heck away from organized religion as an entry point and sincerely search. Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV) says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart". Maybe start by reading:

Case for Christ - Lee Strobel
Evidence That Demands a Verdict: Life-Changing Truth for a Skeptical World - Josh McDowell
Why I Hate Religion and Love Jesus - Jefferson Bethke
Heaven - Randy Alcorn

Cross-referencing with the Bible, of course.

(I've read all three and I'm in a deep-dive study of book #2. It's a heavy lift)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: anon_911569jwrmy3z
Not sure.

Well this was part of the sermon on the mount so it’s unlikely that it was meant for the Pharisees, or teachers of the law since they were probably not present.
The Bible uses such expressions as road or “path” or “way” to describe people’s life course and conduct. The image of two contrasting roads pictures life courses that are either approved or disapproved by God, determining whether an individual gains entry into God’s Kingdom.

Perfectly obedient child would equal a robot.

There is no joy when a robot tell you “I love you.”

There is abundant joy when a child chooses to tell you “I love you.”
Ironic to me because few "choose" religion. Most are introduced to the church as young children and would never question it. Are they robots?

Reactions: artradley

That isn’t omniscience. Omniscience is knowing before you even tell the child to stay away from the candy that you’re going to tempt them and they will succumb. Omniscience is knowing how it will play out even before the child exists. That is what is commonly known as a no-win scenario for the child.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT