ADVERTISEMENT

what was your go to cheap booze in high school

I think I was an alcohol snob even back then. I remember at a party we gave some girls money to make a beer run, thinking they would at minimum come back with Bud or Miller Lite. They came back with Milwaukee's Best Light. Lesson learned.

In high school? If we couldn't get busch light or bud light it was whatever we thought we could get away with sneaking from the parents cabinet.

Southern-Comfort-Original-Whiskey-750ml-Liquor-35-Alcohol_6f1745d8-f9a9-4de6-bbe9-af8aa90e6b7a.60483255ecb62185d7b4543c8d2bfba8.jpeg

s-l400.jpg

Natty Light.

My buddy used to swill Mad Dog 20/20.

🤢
Oh man. When I was in college pledging my fraternity, I had to drink a bottle of Mad Dog with an upperclassman (1 each) to get his signature on my pledge paddle. Learned all the lore ("What's Mad Dog spelled backwards?"). Just absolutely hammered, and then, the night took a sad turn when my girlfriend decided to pay a surprise visit on a road trip from WVU and found me face down in the starfish position.

My HS was an Old Milwaukee school for some ungodly reason. This was about the time Schlitz began cheapening everything they sold and Old Mil went from a halfway decent beer to swill. But, it was the cheap beer their dads drank, so they drank it too.

My gawd, it was awful. Me personally, I was a Bud and Michelob drinker. I remember I had a small kegger once and bought a couple kegs of Budweiser and half the attendees pissed and moaned that it wasn't "the good stuff".

And yet, they disappeared pretty damn quickly, so much so we had to make a late night kegger run for another 16'er of Bud....

Boone’s farm was my first experience with drinking, Honestly not much of a drinker in H.S. Going cheap for me was a bag of Mexican but much preferred Columbian.

Beer was Keystone light or Busch light

Booze was Hawkeye or 10 o'clock vodka with mountain dew. Voodews. Just gross thinking back on it.

High school was unreliable. Sure there were preferences, but it was also based on availability.

Got sick enough on a couple different Bacardi flavors. Never want to touch the Razz or Green Apple again. Definitely spent some time with Admiral Nelson and Lady Bligh. Had our fair share of Gordon's gin, I still think that's an adequate gin for G&Ts or a Tom Collins.

Liquor was faster and easier to conceal than beers, but still had plenty of the usual domestic light beers, being in Iowa, there was of course Busch Light available.

Reactions: McLovin32
My HS was an Old Milwaukee school for some ungodly reason. This was about the time Schlitz began cheapening everything they sold and Old Mil went from a halfway decent beer to swill. But, it was the cheap beer their dads drank, so they drank it too.

My gawd, it was awful. Me personally, I was a Bud and Michelob drinker. I remember I had a small kegger once and bought a couple kegs of Budweiser and half the attendees pissed and moaned that it wasn't "the good stuff".

And yet, they disappeared pretty damn quickly, so much so we had to make a late night kegger run for another 16'er of Bud....
I hear you. I grew up in Anamosa. In my high school years, Old Mil (a/k/a "Old Swill") had a total lockdown on the market. When I worked at the Family Foods store on weekends, I had to restock the Old Mil almost hourly. I swear that distributors had to take away most other inventory after it aged out. My best guess is that Old Mil made up about 90-95% of beer sales there at the time. If you were trying to impress a girl, you might splurge and opt for the Champagne of Beers in the little seven-ounce bottles.

Last edited:
dude...they used to sell a case sof Huber bottles in East Dubuque for 10 bucks in 90s.

My grandpa called it foot wash. If it was cold I could drink it.

Stuff was lousy, but you could cop a mild buzz for a buck,... When I had cash, I'd splurge on Old Mill

images

The bottle proclaims it is "smooth as silk". I can confirm that that is a lie.
The summer after my senior year of high school, my buddy and I went up to his grandparents condo at Okoboji for a week. We were just snooping around and opened a closet and it had about, and I shit you not, probably 30 handles of this stuff in it....full handles. Needless to say we opened a couple and drank those for the week. It is definitely not smooth as silk, but fortunately since I was used to drinking Hawkeye vodka, I was used to drinking stuff that felt like gasoline going down/csb

Reactions: cheeselog8
The summer after my senior year of high school, my buddy and I went up to his grandparents condo at Okoboji for a week. We were just snooping around and opened a closet and it had about, and I shit you not, probably 30 handles of this stuff in it....full handles. Needless to say we opened a couple and drank those for the week. It is definitely not smooth as silk, but fortunately since I was used to drinking Hawkeye vodka, I was used to drinking stuff that felt like gasoline going down/csb
I suppose I have something of a soft spot for my old friend Popov vodka, because by drinking it in my youth, I knew enough when I went to the Soviet Union in 1985 to study not to let the hotel waiters try to trade for my stuff using anything less than Russkaya as barter currency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT