ADVERTISEMENT

What was your introduction to Iowa football?

Kinnick.At.Night

HR Legend
Jun 27, 2018
My introduction came when I was very young. My folks used to throw an annual "Herkey's No Turkey" party for one of the season's biggest games. They'd print fliers, have cups made, pass out koozies, dress head-to-toe in Iowa gear, decorate the house, prepare a buffet of food..the whole shebang. Few things are more fun as a kid than having a house full of partying adults. Of course, they were all downstairs while the kids were upstairs with the babysitter. I'd still sneak down for some quick hellos a couple times a night though. I vividly remember sitting on my dad's shoulders cheering on the 1984 Hawkeyes before being sent back upstairs. The next morning, the driveway would be full of cars until about noon as one of the party rules was cabbing home. Iowa football seemed mythical to me then. Kinnick Stadium, Hayden Fry, the players and the uniforms felt larger than life. I still feel that way when it's game time and the first glimpse of Iowa's players comes across the TV. Or when they emerge from the tunnel. I still feel like a kid watching the Hawks.

I am the youngest of 4 and my oldest sister is 10 years older than me so we were only under the same roof for 8 years (4 of which I can remember). My oldest memory is my siblings and father yelling at the tv while nick bell ran over people on the sideline against Illinois. I quickly joined the family as a hawk fan and have loved watching them on saturdays ever since. My siblings and I all had different interest but we all cheered for the same team every Saturday in the same living room for a couple years. Hawkeyes = family

1981, when Iowa beat Nebraska 10-7 in Kinnick. It was the first game of the year, and Nebby was ranked in the top 10.
I caught the last quarter of it in a small town bar. I was riding in the car with my Dad listening to AM 600 (Frosty Mitchell?)for most of the game and he was so fired up that Iowa might win, we had to stop somewhere and see it on TV.
The bar went absolutely crazy when the Hawks won. I was 14 then and was totally hooked for life.

Boy Scouts used to hold a rope around the field after games. I was part of Troop 71. Got to do this a couple games a year. I remember Phil Suess was the QB. Purdue won the game.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
I went to a couple games with Dad and Grandpa during the ‘77 season when I was 8. Coming up out of the tunnel in section N gave me goosebumps when I first saw the field. Still get those today.
I think Iowa only won 4 games that year with Tom Rusk, Dennis Moseley, Cedric Shaw, Jim Hilgenberg and Sam Palladino to name a few.
I think I had the roster memorized back then.

Best memories were occasional whiffs of pipe tobacco drifting by from an old man down the row and thinking the Scottish Highlanders at halftime were cool.

went to a couple games later in the Fry era with my Dad on the east sideline....but first “I bleed black and gold follow every game” season was ‘02. That season pretty much cemented it.

I still remember sitting in the stands as Iowa shut down this supposedly great WR Charles Rodgers....I believe it was a rainy day in Kinnick.

Mine is...dare I say...a pretty good story.

My first Iowa football game was the day they dedicated and renamed Iowa Stadium, "Kinnick Stadium". I remember seeing Nile Kinnick Sr saluting the crowd from the field. My friend's Dad and Uncle (A U of I employee) were huge Hawk fans...and they took us to the game. At the time, I didn't understand how big that day was.

Fast forward a number of years, Fall of 1977...the resumption of the IOWA-ISU football series. I was a Sr in High School. My bud (a Freshman at IOWA) was a student manager for the football team (smelly jock duty), he got me 2 tickets for the IOWA-ISU game.

I took my high school girlfriend who was more of a clone fan. Our seats were in the front row of the North end zone. Feet...on the turf. No shit. IOWA upset the clones... the students rushed the field and tore the goalposts down...they fell right in front of me. I looked around and took in what was happening...and there was no turning back. I was a Hawkeye. Broke up with the girl a few weeks later.

Despite full ride scholarships from a few other schools (Augustana, UNI, Western Illinois, Drake) for music...I choose IOWA and a partial scholarship. Didn't stick with a music major long but i did join the drum line of the Hawkeye Marching Band. A couple of years later...Thanks to a guy named Hayden Fry, I was marching down Colorado boulevard in Pasadena in the most prestigious parade in the world...and a few hours later...across the 50 yard line of the Rose Bowl.

Not a bad run. (I'll leave the plane ride with Lute Olson, Final Four and dinner with Jim Zabel for another post).

I'm a Hawkeye for life.

Last edited:
1975 season opener hosting the Illini. Dad got tickets through work.

Bob Cummings' team lost to Illinois that warm September day but I was impressed with the Iowa cheerleaders.

At one point a bearded 70s-type hippie several rows behind us yelled "Go Illini" and got a few popcorn boxes tossed at him, but it was all in good fun.

I've said it before, if not for Hayden Fry Iowa football from then to present would be like Indiana football.

Mid 80’s, don’t remember much of the first few games, but was hooked. Attended lots of football, wrestling, MBB and WBB.

1981, when Iowa beat Nebraska 10-7 in Kinnick. It was the first game of the year, and Nebby was ranked in the top 10.
I caught the last quarter of it in a small town bar. I was riding in the car with my Dad listening to AM 600 (Frosty Mitchell?)for most of the game and he was so fired up that Iowa might win, we had to stop somewhere and see it on TV.
The bar went absolutely crazy when the Hawks won. I was 14 then and was totally hooked for life.
This.
The moment Iowa went from losing program to winning program. Haven’t looked back since.

Chuck Long years early to mid 80's my late father took me to my first game against the Goofs i remember sitting next to him and he pulled out a bottle of liquor he dropped it and it broke.Then everyone around us started sharing with him I can't make this up.I think it was 85 Iowa won

My introduction came when I was very young. My folks used to throw an annual "Herkey's No Turkey" party for one of the season's biggest games. They'd print fliers, have cups made, pass out koozies, dress head-to-toe in Iowa gear, decorate the house, prepare a buffet of food..the whole shebang. Few things are more fun as a kid than having a house full of partying adults. Of course, they were all downstairs while the kids were upstairs with the babysitter. I'd still sneak down for some quick hellos a couple times a night though. I vividly remember sitting on my dad's shoulders cheering on the 1984 Hawkeyes before being sent back upstairs. The next morning, the driveway would be full of cars until about noon as one of the party rules was cabbing home. Iowa football seemed mythical to me then. Kinnick Stadium, Hayden Fry, the players and the uniforms felt larger than life. I still feel that way when it's game time and the first glimpse of Iowa's players comes across the TV. Or when they emerge from the tunnel. I still feel like a kid watching the Hawks.
My love affair with Iowa football started when I attended my first game in 1946 It has been a love affair that has lasted until this day. It grew stronger during my seven years attending the University of Iowa watching players like Alex Kara and Calvin Jones play. Since graduating although my profession has taken me to many parts of this country I have continued following the Hawks through good years and a few down years. Hopefully I will be around a few more years as I feel that great years are coming.

Fall of 1949 when Iowa played Northwestern and won 28-21 was my first Iowa game---and what an experience it was---somehow my older brother was not quite as "captured" and went on to be a Clone

Entered Iowa in 1954, played tennis, graduated in 1958

Rose Bowl in 1957---took wife and three kids (two were Iowa students) in 1985
and since we retired three Outback Bowl games, saw Iowa beat LSU thanks to the Holloway pass and the first Orange Bowl game--toss in Gator Bowl in 1954 with high school senior son

Absolute Highlight----took oldest son to game in 1972 after moving back to middle west to Minneapolis and saw Nile Kinnick's father stand at mid field as the name of the stadium changed

28 years in Minneapolis makes you a very strong Iowa fan thanks to the rodent fans---those every other year weekends when Iowa visited were great fun and "looked forward to fun"

I had only watched with family members on my Dad's side. Grandpa and some other were season ticket holders. Went to my first game in 2000 Western Michigan at Iowa.

Early 70’s walking down a picked corn row pheasant hunting. A friend would listen to the game on his pocket transistor radio.Also my dad would pop popcorn and listened to BB games. Did the knot hole and Boy Scout stuff when the north end zone was still wood bleacher seats. Started attending games with my brother and parents regularly in the early 80’s. Good times. Would tailgate where the hockey field is now.

My first game (as a kid) was also the day they dedicated and renamed Iowa Stadium, "Kinnick Stadium". There was also when the 1st artificial turf was put in Kinnick. We walked out on it after the game.
My first game in the student section was Nebraska 1981, that was fun!

I have now been to 230 games. Iowa's record in games I have attended is 153-76-1.

My dad took me when I was 10. Hawkeyes were not very good. Mid 1960s. I remember Gary Snook was the QB. Hawkeyes put up a good fight against Ohio State, but lost 14-10. I remember it was a pretty chilly day in early November. I asked my dad why the Ohio State coach was wearing a short sleeve white shirt when all his players had jackets on while on the sideline. Woody Hayes....what a doof.

Started listening to Zabel while working on the farm around 1963-4 as a 9 year old. Became a fall ritual...always had my transistor radio on me.
Finally attended the games in college. Vivid memory was beating Wisky in 75,running onto the field afterward while under the influence of mushrooms and enjoying the spongy feel of that astrofield turf.
I never miss a game...ever.
Go Hawks!

UCLA 1981. My family was still living in Missouri but knew we would be moving to Iowa the next summer. My oldest sister was going to Mizzou at the time and we had been to a few of those games. Kinnick stadium was a whole new experience. Packed, with people sitting in the aisles and in the grass berms. Dominating defense from the Hawks and a 20-7 win. Fans rushed the field and the PA announcer came on to say the fans needed to disperse so the band could leave the stadium. We went to The Mill afterwards. I made my dad buy me a Hawkeye t-shirt afterwards because I was 100% a Hawkeye from that moment on.

Reading the Des Moines register Big Peach section about the Hawks , and listening to Jim Zabel call the game on the radio like it was close even, though Iowa was getting the snot beat out of them by Michigan.

My introduction to Iowa athletics was when Iowa was the best. The best football team and the best basketball team. Iowa reached 2 consecutive Final Fours and the football team was playing in the Rose Bowl and the football writers had us at #1. It has been a roller coaster ride ever since.

Cousin played at Iowa in early 80's so I had the schedule poster with him on it on my wall when I was about 7. Grew up as the only Iowa fan in my central Illinois school. Got to meet a ton of players at his wedding a few years later, been hooked ever since.

My first Hawkeye recollection was in 1970 (I was 7 years old) when I watched the Iowa/Purdue basketball game on TV. That was the game where Rick Mount scored 61 for Purdue, but Iowa ended up winning 108-107. I had never watched an Iowa basketball game before, but I was so nervous near the end of that game I thought I was going to throw up. I decided right then I was a Hawkeye fan.

My first experience in Kinnick was the 1982 game with ISU. I immediately fell in love with the game day atmosphere in Iowa City, and even though Iowa lost that day (last time we lost to the Clones until 1998), I knew that attending Hawkeye games was always going to be a regular part of my life. I was lucky enough to attend the U of I during the Chuck Long era, and attended all Hawkeye home games during that stretch. One of the best days of my young life was Iowa's 12-10 win over Michigan in '85.

I started playing/following football late... The first Hawkeye game I watched on TV unfortunately was the 2002 ISU game :mad:

Don’t remember first game, but started in late ‘60s. Hawks were usually getting curb stomped.

Going to Kinnick sitting in the knothole section to watch my cousin play tight end under Frank Lautenberg. They went 0-11 one season but LOVED going to the games. I was in grade school and then and my dream of playing for the Iowa Hawkeyes began. Was disappointed I was not offered by Iowa but broke my signed commitment to play Juco to follow my dream and walk on at Iowa. Football didn't work out but became a 3 year letterman in baseball.

Parents divorced when I was 4 and both had season tickets. Earliest I can remember is 1971. First road game in 73.
My wife says that I go into a depression after the bowl game. Usually come out of it in June when the preseason magazines come out.
Have saved all my ticket stubs. Stack is now 3 inches tall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT