ADVERTISEMENT

What will Barack Obama do after his term as POTUS expires?

TJ8869

HR King
Dec 7, 2006
Now that the 2016 campaign is getting into full swing, I'm wondering what President Obama will do once he leaves office. Will he keep a relatively low profile like most other recent Presidents? It's hard for me to imagine that he'll be satisfied just giving speeches and helping Clinton and Bush raise relief donations for the occasional natural disaster.

He'll be just 55 years old when he leaves office. Does he become a Supreme Court justice like William Howard Taft? Perhaps Secretary General of the United Nations? Where does he apply his talents?

Originally posted by TJ8869:
Now that the 2016 campaign is getting into full swing, I'm wondering what President Obama will do once he leaves office. Will he keep a relatively low profile like most other recent Presidents? It's hard for me to imagine that he'll be satisfied just giving speeches and helping Clinton and Bush raise relief donations for the occasional natural disaster.

He'll be just 55 years old when he leaves office. Does he become a Supreme Court justice like William Howard Taft? Perhaps Secretary General of the United Nations? Where does he apply his talents?
What talent?

He could go to Japan and give speeches to get rich like Reagan. But I think he will fundraise to support our efforts to have his likeness carved onto Rushmore.

Originally posted by jthawk:
There are literally hundreds of communities yet to be organized.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Can we try to have a grown-up conversation about this, please? I'm interested in serious responses.

According to Alan Keyes, his term will never end. The whole Iran drama is calculated to come to a head in 2016 and will give Obama an excuse to declare martial law for as long as it takes to totally eliminate the threat of terrorism, radical Islam, and a nuclear-armed Iran from the face of the Earth.

What Keyes doesn't realize is that if Obama tries that, the GOP will have Netanyahu nuke Iran - thereby eliminating the justification for Obama staying at the helm.

Don't you love the power of tin foil?

My guess is Michelle will have a fair bit to say about it. I could see them turtling up, making quiet speeches, writing books, etc. until the kids are gone. Then come out of the woodwork in 10 years in some world ambassador function.

Can we try to have a grown-up conversation about this, please? I'm interested in serious responses.
Sadly, I expect him to follow in Clinton's footsteps - doing some good but mostly shilling for Wall Steet and corporate America (as well as corporate interests even when they aren't American interests).

He'll do well. He's basically a black liberal Republican.

As a man who has won the Nobel Peace Prize,
he will move to Oslo, Norway. Here he will
become a spokesman for world peace and
make history as a nuclear arms inspector for
the Middle East.

Natural is probably the closest. I think Michelle wants a quiet life. I've stated before it's better when President's quietly retire. He can't go back to being a law professor.
The big question is where they will live in my mind. Back to Chicago?

Originally posted by lucas80:

The big question is where they will live in my mind. Back to Chicago?
I thought I heard recently they are planning to move to New York.

In a seriousness, the word on the street is
that the Obama family wants to move to the
state of Hawaii. Some have even suggested
that Michelle will someday run for U.S. Senator.

He'll golf, write a few books and stump for progressive's throughout the world.

I think his eventual goal is to become Secretary General of the UN.

Originally posted by INXS83:
He'll golf, write a few books and stump for progressive's throughout the world.

I think his eventual goal is to become Secretary General of the UN.
That would be a terrific time to abolish the UN. At least quite funding it and they can move it to Mongolia.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

I heard the Hawaii part too. Rumor was the bought the old Magnum PI house, but the WH denies it.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:

I heard the Hawaii part too. Rumor was the bought the old Magnum PI house, but the WH denies it.
Does the house include T.C.'s helicopter? Because that would be freakin' awesome.

Michelle's life has been mainly in Chicago. Big cities do provide some anonymity. Rich people, all ex presidents have money, can blend in better in a big city. Hawaii may have some appeal to stay out of the limelight. Michelle has said she gave up a lot to live in the DC fishbowl. I think she gets a lot of voice in where they live.
The girls will be in college soon. I don't know if that factors into the decision.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

Sounds about right. What ever he does he will spout his opinion about what the next POTUS is doing wrong and keep reminding us how wonderful he was at the job despite all evidence to the contrary. I could also see him being on TV is some capacity, he might be very good at that.

Hopefully:

Write a book
Give some corporate speeches

I hope he does the George W. Bush thing - not talking about the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania (along with his HIV/Malaria work) is one of the things I do like about the former President.

I think he'll keep a relatively low profile until his kids are at least in college. I could see Michelle possibly running for office in the future, and his fund-raising skills would be an asset in such a campaign.

I seem to recall hearing that he wouldn't seek any other type of political office, though.

Does the house include T.C.'s helicopter? Because that would be freakin' awesome.
I believe I saw that copter in the news recently for crashing.

It doesn't really matter what he does, the Republicans will find a way to criticize him for it. I think it will be pretty low profile. As far as Michelle, I don't see her running for office. I'm not sure she would be ok with her husband running again if they had to do it over.

Originally posted by txhawk I:

What talent?
this

Originally posted by hawkitd:

Now that the 2016 campaign is getting into full swing, I'm wondering what President Obama will do once he leaves office.  Will he keep a relatively low profile like most other recent Presidents?  It's hard for me to imagine that he'll be satisfied just giving speeches and helping Clinton and Bush raise relief donations for the occasional natural disaster.

He'll be just 55 years old when he leaves office.  Does he become a Supreme Court justice like William Howard Taft?  Perhaps Secretary General of the United Nations?  Where does he apply his talents?
What talent?
this

He's talented at campaigning.

What talent?
this
He's a helluva lot smarter than you.

Originally posted by mstp1992:

What talent?
this
And GWB is a helluva lot smarter than you. Doesn't make either of them good politicians.

He will be Jimmy Carter on steroids. Constantly showing up to second-guess is successor(s), glorify his own administration, and occasionally try to individually pre-empt what the administration is doing.

He also will emulate Bill Clinton in terms of appearances, books, anything to make a buck..

I don't see Obama to the Supreme Court any time soon. The Senate is too poisoned.
Michelle will not run for office. Ever.

Originally posted by hawkeye54545:

And GWB is a helluva lot smarter than you. Doesn't make either of them good politicians.
Oh god, for real? I'd take that bet.

Oh god, for real? I'd take that bet.
I like you but you would lose that bet

Can we try to have a grown-up conversation about this, please?  I'm interested in serious responses.

I am terribly offended by your personal attack:). I am completely serious. You said you wondered where he would apply his "talents". In my opinion, community organizing and giving speeches are what he does best.

My guess is Michelle will have a fair bit to say about it. I could see them turtling up, making quiet speeches, writing books, etc. until the kids are gone. Then come out of the woodwork in 10 years in some world ambassador function.
Hopefully he will move to the Middle East. And be a leader for all Muslim's. Chewbakka will probably divorce him.

Originally posted by mstp1992:

What talent?
this
They're the 2 best politicians of the last 16 years.

Now, if you said "leaders", then I would agree with you.

Both are a hell of a lot smarter and more successful than 99% of this board.

Maybe he could be the dean of a law school? Based on what I've seen, that's really just fundraising and giving speeches. Two things a baby can see he's good at doing. I just don't see him wanting to be "influential" in any substantial way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT