ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to chivalry?

May 25, 2023
I was sitting outside my daughter's (no pic) school today waiting for her to come out of her kindergarten class. A guy with 2 children around the same age as my daughter came walking out with his kids. He got in his truck and let his kids fend for themselves in the parking lot and get themselves into his truck.

A few minutes later, another guy walked in to the school. He went in first with his wife behind him. The door damn near hit her in the face. What an absolute douche bag.

My wife (no pic) and kids (cute pics available) are always in the car or building ahead of me so I know they are safe and sound. I always hold the door for my family, as well as people I don't even know.

Again, whatever happened to chivalry??

Disclaimer: OP's Mom is no longer alive, so please refrain.

CSB: held the door open for a woman who had two bags of food in one hand and a dog carrier in the other. When I held the door open she stopped, said "uhh, no," and waited for the door to close. Then sue decided to set her things down, open the door herself, and leave. Seemed odd to me.
That was just a dumb example that makes me laugh.

Overall though, yes, it is upsetting to see how much people don't care or respect others. I don't get why that changed so much. Is it that hard to open a door for your wife or kids?

CSB: held the door open for a woman who had two bags of food in one hand and a dog carrier in the other. When I held the door open she stopped, said "uhh, no," and waited for the door to close. Then sue decided to set her things down, open the door herself, and leave. Seemed odd to me.

Overall though, yes, it is upsetting to see how much people don't care or respect others. I don't get why that changed so much. Is it that hard to open a door for your wife or kids?
My wife (no pic) had similar happen to her last week. I've noticed this WAY more in the Midwest then when we lived in Georgia or NC. I think Midwesterners in general believe they are superior and hold an entitlement, and I was born and raised here. This could be a spin-off thread.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The OP seems to be talking about being protective and tending to his dependents. Everyone else seems to be talking about minor acts of consideration with strangers in public. Chivalry vs common courtesy.

Regarding the chivalry, taking the premise as granted, could be from the breaking down of traditional gender norms and gender equality concepts that are more prevalent as years have passed.

Not sure what to make of the childcare observation though.

Hard not to shrug and laugh.

I always made sure she came first and then I would follow in behind her when she was alive
burning love we connected on so many levels GIF

My wife (no pic) had similar happen to her last week. I've noticed this WAY more in the Midwest then when we lived in Georgia or NC. I think Midwesterners in general believe they are superior and hold an entitlement, and I was born and raised here. This could be a spin-off thread.
I live in SoCal, so there are definitely people that think they're better than others. I think her thing was that she didn't need a man holding the door for her. I told her I'd have held it open if she was a man, too.

Reactions: Moral
I live in SoCal, so there are definitely people that think they're better than others. I think her thing was that she didn't need a man holding the door for her. I told her I'd have held it open if she was a man, too.
Yeah I can see that. My wife (no pic) looks like a woman, and the other lady was a woman... identifying as such, so I'm not sure what the deal was between them.

I had someone have a similar reaction once. I just told her "I hold the door for everyone, don't think you're special" She was less than impressed, so I said "Alrighty then" and walked through.

I’m all about equality. Women can open their own doors, pull out their own chairs and earn their own damn money. Kids need to learn how to take care of themselves without all the helicopter parents. Chivalry is dead, it fell on its sword.

Maybe its just 'luck of the draw' when I witness most of the stuff I do, but the majority of people nowadays are mostly just ****ing dicks and ***** anymore, imo.

I view it as most people see the world through a "me" monocle, rather than "us" glasses.

And its not in just personal interactions like holding doors open for others or ignoring greetings, etc, but also in vehicles at parking lots/ramps, etc. IE, parking closer than need to - selfishly misusing handicapped parking credentials - or parking in a space that creates the best situations for themself while at the same time screwing over who is parked in at least one other surrounding space.

Chivalry died and selfishness/self-serving took over its former place.

I used to hold doors open and let the other person walk through first instinctually. I've evolved to just walking through first and flipping the door open for the person behind me if they're close enough. I've had too many cross eyed looks when holding the door open the old fashioned way. I also stopped making the the 'Oh.. face' when people walk through.

CSB; When he was about 5, my son and I were walking into a store and there was an elderly woman ahead us struggling with opening the door, and my boy noticed and literally ran ahead to hold it open for her.

She smiled and said, "Thank you, young man." He beamed and replied, "You're welcome, old lady."

I was moritified; she couldn't stop laughing.

I was sitting outside my daughter's (no pic) school today waiting for her to come out of her kindergarten class. A guy with 2 children around the same age as my daughter came walking out with his kids. He got in his truck and let his kids fend for themselves in the parking lot and get themselves into his truck.

A few minutes later, another guy walked in to the school. He went in first with his wife behind him. The door damn near hit her in the face. What an absolute douche bag.

My wife (no pic) and kids (cute pics available) are always in the car or building ahead of me so I know they are safe and sound. I always hold the door for my family, as well as people I don't even know.

Again, whatever happened to chivalry??

Disclaimer: OP's Mom is no longer alive, so please refrain.
It starts at home. I'm consistently telling my son, "Go grab the door for your mom" and things like that. When his grandmother pulls up he always rushes out to help her (she has a walker). When we're at church, a concert, etc. I typically sit near the aisle. When I exit, I always take one step up allowing my kiddos and wife to exit ahead of me.

I remember when I was stationed in San Angelo my next door neighbor was a single mom with two daughters, so I often filled the gap. I remember one night hearing someone honking on the horn outside. I walked out and it was the older girl's date. I calmly walked over to his window and tapped on it. I told him to turn off the engine, go up to the door, meet the mom and then walker her back to the car opening the door.

I'm old school when it comes to things like this. I still say yes sir and yes ma'am to nearly everyone I encounter.

I'm on team OP here, but in public amongst strangers...

Sometimes if I open a door for a woman I feel like she might perceive this as disrespect (because she thinks I think she needs a man to open the door for her).

Or if I do something for someone else's kid and their parent is standing there that they might think I mean their child harm or I'm doing something creepy.

While I know I'm overthinking, I'm doing it because I know there are those types of people out there and there's always a chance I've found one...

It starts at home. I'm consistently telling my son, "Go grab the door for your mom" and things like that. When his grandmother pulls up he always rushes out to help her (she has a walker). When we're at church, a concert, etc. I typically sit near the aisle. When I exit, I always take one step up allowing my kiddos and wife to exit ahead of me.

I remember when I was stationed in San Angelo my next door neighbor was a single mom with two daughters, so I often filled the gap. I remember one night hearing someone honking on the horn outside. I walked out and it was the older girl's date. I calmly walked over to his window and tapped on it. I told him to turn off the engine, go up to the door, meet the mom and then walker her back to the car opening the door.

I'm old school when it comes to things like this. I still say yes sir and yes ma'am to nearly everyone I encounter.
I'll bet you did!

• Haha
Reactions: desihawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT