ADVERTISEMENT

What's a tip or trick you never thought of...

Morning Tip:

Don't jump out of bed fast. You may get dizzy.

Instead, sit on the edge of the bed for 10 seconds then get up.

We have a can deposit here. You pay 5c per can with every purchase and then can redeem your can for the 5c. A fair number of Iowans keep an extra trash can in the garage to just throw cans in. When your done you just wash them out real quick so there is no syrup and it's not a big deal.

We have a can deposit here. You pay 5c per can with every purchase and then can redeem your can for the 5c. A fair number of Iowans keep an extra trash can in the garage to just throw cans in. When your done you just wash them out real quick so there is no syrup and it's not a big deal.

We have curbside recycling here. You pay 0c per can (or bottle) and just drop them in a recycling bin, then dump that into your larger recycling trash can every week. It's not a big deal.

I suppose I could "save" all my cans (which do have the Iowa 5c refund stamp on them) and bring them back for the couple bucks I'd get 'returning' them at Hy-Vee, but not really worth my time.

We have curbside recycling here. You pay 0c per can (or bottle) and just drop them in a recycling bin, then dump that into your larger recycling trash can every week. It's not a big deal.

I suppose I could "save" all my cans (which do have the Iowa 5c refund stamp on them) and bring them back for the couple bucks I'd get 'returning' them at Hy-Vee, but not really worth my time.
I'm not saying Iowa has some great idea but to act like you didn't know about cans or that it's some uncommon thing seemed odd.

Not to get political in this thread, but the way Common Core teaches math it's more likely Whiskey would have realized sooner that the reason his trick works is the commutative property. The way you and I learned math was strictly memorization not really understanding. CC math gets kids to see what is really happening with numbers.

My kindergartners were able to do story problems because of the way math is taught using CC.

The problem with CC math is that the kids start at step 1 of 1000. Parents get asked for help the 1st time at step 115 and they haven't seen steps 1-114. Then they try to do what they learned, which doesn't work like CC math, and they don't like it because it isn't what they learned and they can't help their kid with basic division so they think CC math is the problem.

Reactions: gohawks50
Saw it used and thought "Thought's so obvious why haven't I ever done that?"

For me, have an open cell foam pad on top of my oil pan for oil changes. Catches the drain plug and oil filter without bouncing out and stops any splashing. Saw it on Tik Tok and thought "35 years of changing oil and it never occurred to me to do that"
Back in the day, when I changed my own vehicle’s oil, that would have been a nice tip/trick. However, with these newer cars/engines the oil filter, etc is harder to get at, so my “tip”…just take vehicle to mechanic for that job. 😉

The problem with CC math is that the kids start at step 1 of 1000. Parents get asked for help the 1st time at step 115 and they haven't seen steps 1-114. Then they try to do what they learned, which doesn't work like CC math, and they don't like it because it isn't what they learned and they can't help their kid with basic division so they think CC math is the problem.
I agree it's confusing for parents, but I remember as a kid going through school in the 60s and 70s my parents and their friends complaining about the new math we were learning. It happens with every generation.

Reactions: SSG T and RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT