ADVERTISEMENT

What's the loudest you have ever heard Kinnick?

I would probably go with ‘04 Wisconsin too.

That will always be one of my favorite Iowa football memories…defacto BIG title game in Kinnick vs a rival.

There was a year versus Northwestern too somewhere in like 2014-2017 where the officials messed up BIG time and there was garbage raining on the field….that may be the angriest crowd I have ever been in.

I feel like there was another one like that last year or the year before as well.

Quietest is by far the Michigan game where the home winning streak snapped. Place was like a funeral walking out. ‘05 maybe?

Reactions: srams21
‘03 Michigan when we came back to beat them 30-27 was probably the best/loudest I’ve seen the crowd from start to finish. Nobody sat down the entire game in our section.
Why is it I can't seem to remember this game? I remember my Michigan friends being at the game and we agreed before the game to tailgate after the game regardless of who won. They of course being the arrogant sore loser Michigan fans that they where left immediately after the game. It might be that I'll just never forget the 2002 team that destroyed Michigan in the Big House the year before. Actually that 2002 team has a ton of my greatest Hawkeye game memories. I'm not sure if that Michigan or Minnesota game in 2002 is my most memorable game being at.

I would probably go with ‘04 Wisconsin too.

That will always be one of my favorite Iowa football memories…defacto BIG title game in Kinnick vs a rival.

There was a year versus Northwestern too somewhere in like 2014-2017 where the officials messed up BIG time and there was garbage raining on the field….that may be the angriest crowd I have ever been in.

I feel like there was another one like that last year or the year before as well.

Quietest is by far the Michigan game where the home winning streak snapped. Place was like a funeral walking out. ‘05 maybe?
05 Michigan was there too..

I was at that one too.. one of the worst officiated and most frustrating games I've ever been to. Agree.. have never seen Kinnick that angry

Some really good ones people have mentioned. Couple others I'd note:

Opening of the game 2006 vs Ohio State - College Gameday was on site, people had been drinking all day, place was going nuts. Unfortunately didn't last too long.

2008 Penn State winning FG - not the best season at that point, but upended #3 in the country

CJ Jones return vs USC at the Orange Bowl was the most excited ive ever been at a live sporting event. The rest of the game, not so much

I was 12, at my first bowl game, I hadn't yet been naturally hardened to disappointment as an Iowa fan. Pure joy at kick off, to worried yet hopeful, to anger, to sadness.

I’ve been to Camp Randall, Michigan Stadium and the Horseshoe at TOSU.
I think I need to visit y’all’s House.
Horseshoe was a blast last year. OSU fans were surprisingly cool to party with. But it's easy to be nice when they absolutely drubbed us.

"jump around" at camp Randall is one of the most overrated things I've ever seen in person. We sat like 10 rows up. The stadium doesn't shake. At all. We did win the rock fight though and went on to have an undefeated regular season that year. And Montee Ball and I bought shots for each other at a Madison bar that night.

Reactions: ItsinourDNA
Might have been '81 vs. Michigan State when it was announced at halftime that Ohio State had beaten Michigan and all the Hawks were going to the Rose for the first time since '59. Phil Blacher rushed for 246 yards, a record at the time. He lived next to one of my friends in Bon Aire trailer court and he came over after the game and we drank into the wee hours...

I was 12, at my first bowl game, I hadn't yet been naturally hardened to disappointment as an Iowa fan. Pure joy at kick off, to worried yet hopeful, to anger, to sadness.

My first son was born right before Christmas in 2015. Was just over a week old for the Rose Bowl. I was so excited to watch it with him, since I was 3 the last time the Hawks had made it and had no memory. Then C-Mac decided to take out all of his anger at losing the Heisman out on us. I remember looking at him and saying "this is what it's like being a Hawkeye fan. Better get used to it".

Horseshoe was a blast last year. OSU fans were surprisingly cool to party with. But it's easy to be nice when they absolutely drubbed us.

"jump around" at camp Randall is one of the most overrated things I've ever seen in person. We sat like 10 rows up. The stadium doesn't shake. At all. We did win the rock fight though and went on to have an undefeated regular season that year. And Montee Ball and I bought shots for each other at a Madison bar that night.
I was there in the 80’s when they had the 5th Quarter and the Bud Song. Our next door neighbor ran the W Club and we got awesome seats. Good tailgating too.
They had Alan Ameche over for the neighborhood Christmas party and I thought my hubby was gonna faint.

Might have been '81 vs. Michigan State when it was announced at halftime that Ohio State had beaten Michigan and all the Hawks were going to the Rose for the first time since '59. Phil Blacher rushed for 246 yards, a record at the time. He lived next to one of my friends in Bon Aire trailer court and he came over after the game and we drank into the wee hours...

That was an awesome punt block.

For me it was the 2004 de facto BIG championship game against Wisconsin. It finished in the cold dark night, and the place was going nuts. It was the 3rd consecutive 10 win season in Kirk's revival of the Hawks. Matt Roth went wild that night and must have sacked Wisconsin's shitty QB ten times. I recall Tate hitting Clinton Solomon after doing a spectular Houdini like escape in the pocket for a long TD. Place was unhinged.

I wasn't at the Iowa-Michigan legendary '86 game and also missed the epic OSU beatdown in 2017. Both of those were crazy from what I was told.
I was going to say the Wisconsin game as well. I think the South end zone locker room was under construction at the time because I remember giving Matt Roth a high five as the Hawks exited at the NE corner. I may still have the towel they gave away because it was the first Heartland Trophy game

I was there in the 80’s when they had the 5th Quarter and the Bud Song. Our next door neighbor ran the W Club and we got awesome seats. Good tailgating too.
They had Alan Ameche over for the neighborhood Christmas party and I thought my hubby was gonna faint.
"The Horse"

Reactions: goldmom
I have been to World Series games, NBA Finals game at Oracle in Oakland when the Warriors beat the LeBron Cavs. Nothing, and I mean nothing comes close to the 2021 Penn St. game. That was the loudest sporting event I have ever been to. I can’t even imagine how loud Kinnick would be if they matched the South end zone structure with the North end zone.

I think this guy, or maybe someone else, posted that the flyover before the game was not even this loud.

Maybe my favorite game due to the previous 20 years.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
This was special too in Indy. For a neutral field game we blew the roof off. I'll forget what happened 15 minutes later..

Reactions: mthawkeyes
PSU for sure. I'll throw in the game versus Michigan where Jim Harbaugh was the QB going into the north end zone, and Iowa received a penalty for the fans being too loud. Probably the dumbest f*****g rule the NCAA ever implemented.
Schembechler pulled that same crap at Purdue I think on 3 straight plays in about 1984. Cost Purdue a time out.

60,000 fans are louder than over 100,000 at the Big House in the same era?

LOL

when Tim Dwight broke the B1G TD punt return record in 1997. They kept punting away from him. We booed every time they punted. He finally broke thru. The greatest return I've ever seen. To appreciate it you had to see how hard they tried not to punt to him. He forced his will upon them. The place was deafening.

It's the last return in this highlight

Last edited:
Why is it I can't seem to remember this game? I remember my Michigan friends being at the game and we agreed before the game to tailgate after the game regardless of who won. They of course being the arrogant sore loser Michigan fans that they where left immediately after the game. It might be that I'll just never forget the 2002 team that destroyed Michigan in the Big House the year before. Actually that 2002 team has a ton of my greatest Hawkeye game memories. I'm not sure if that Michigan or Minnesota game in 2002 is my most memorable game being at.
The 2003 Michigan game will always be a top 5 game for me.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
That Murray kick was the loudest I've ever heard Kinnick. I know it wasn't Kinnick but the CJ Jones opening kickoff in the Orange Bowl was defeaning. I'll add one that's not related to the thread but the victory over UNI in 2009 is the weirdest Kinnick experience I've ever had. The stadium was so quiet after the game you wouldn't have known Iowa had won if you didn't know any better.
Chris hassle’s impersonation of dolph and Ed calling the end of that game was hilarious. I’ve tried in vain to find it on the interwebs.

Also 2004 Wisconsin for me. I wasn't at the 2021 Penn State because I was at a 10U softball game. We had two TVs set up in centerfield (by the parking lot) with football on one and the stream of the softball game on the other.

TBH, the only time I've ever heard Kinnick was his Heisman speech.
Rimshot GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT