ADVERTISEMENT

When a friend passes away do you keep their text messages?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I was talking to a buddy about this recently. We've both had friends pass away in the last few months, and I told him I have messages in my phone from friends and relatives that passed away years ago. I was thinking about this again last night as I struggled through an extra innings Cubs loss, and looked at the old messages from one of my friends who was a huge Cubs fan.
I guess I feel like if I clean the phone out part of our shared lives and the memories disappear.

I don't. I still have my dad's phone contact in my phone - he's been gone 11 years. My niece (no pics) has that phone number now and whenever she calls, it comes up as "dad", and I kinda like seeing that, even though I know it's not really him.

I was talking to a buddy about this recently. We've both had friends pass away in the last few months, and I told him I have messages in my phone from friends and relatives that passed away years ago. I was thinking about this again last night as I struggled through an extra innings Cubs loss, and looked at the old messages from one of my friends who was a huge Cubs fan.
I guess I feel like if I clean the phone out part of our shared lives and the memories disappear.
I've got texts from one friend still on my phone. IMO it's kinda like keeping letters from a friend. It's nice to be able to go back and read them sometimes.

Yes, I have lost a few really good friends over the past 5 years. Some due to cancer, I look back at the texts before they found out then the last texts I received from them. Sucks.
What's worse is on facebook memories when I look at comments and will see all 4 of them commenting on my photos. It's a real gut punch.

Why wouldn't you? If life after death is a real thing, then they should still be able to send and receive. Amiright?

Yes, I have lost a few really good friends over the past 5 years. Some due to cancer, I look back at the texts before they found out then the last texts I received from them. Sucks.
What's worse is on facebook memories when I look at comments and will see all 4 of them commenting on my photos. It's a real gut punch.
Yeah. One of the reasons I'm off of the Facebook.

I had a voice mail from my mother in law that I listened to when I missed her after she died. We got a new phone system at work and it got deleted. I was crushed. Some times we just need to hear their voice to be okay.

I never delete my deceased friends and relatives from my contacts, but I have to ask, am I the only OCD person on GIAOT who constantly deletes old text threads?

I had a voice mail from my mother in law that I listened to when I missed her after she died. We got a new phone system at work and it got deleted. I was crushed. Some times we just need to hear their voice to be okay.
No offense but you actually liked your MnL? JK.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Same.

Have a couple AF buddies who died way too early. Still have their texts, emails.

I've never thought to go back and delete a text string in my phone ever. Dead or alive. What's the point of doing that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT