ADVERTISEMENT

When is the recession? I was promised a doomsday recession by so many

BlIIlken2

HR All-American
Nov 23, 2021
I haven’t seen it yet. Yes inflation sucks but people keep on spending and traveling.

Wait two weeks?

200w.gif

Here is a look at the economic span from the past 50 years
in the United States. The cost of living obviously varies from
state to state and city to city. These given figures are as a nation.

Median Household Income in 1973....$12,050 and 2021...$70,784

Median Cost of New Home in 1973....$35,700 and 2021...$269,000

Reactions: win4jj
Here is a look at the economic span from the past 50 years
in the United States. The cost of living obviously varies from
state to state and city to city. These given figures are as a nation.

Median Household Income in 1973....$12,050 and 2021...$70,784

Median Cost of New Home in 1973....$35,700 and 2021...$269,000

$269... I like it.

Reactions: goldmom
Well what's everyone's prediction for Q4 2022 GDP? I think America wanted to have a nice Christmas so the numbers will hold up, but after that we're going over the cliff....

The housing market is clearly already in recession mode.
Well, there it is. Official word there will be no recession!
giphy.gif

It definitely is not great out there. Layoffs are starting to go more "up-market." I know some very well-compensated people in tech who have gotten laid off in the last 3 months. Software giant Salesforce announced this morning that they will be cutting 10% of their workforce.

A buddy of mine who owns a small local restaurant chain (3 locations) said that he had his first losing quarter in 15 years.

This won't be 2008 all over again, but 2023 is likely not going to be a good year economically.

It definitely is not great out there. Layoffs are starting to go more "up-market." I know some very well-compensated people in tech who have gotten laid off in the last 3 months. Software giant Salesforce announced this morning that they will be cutting 10% of their workforce.

A buddy of mine who owns a small local restaurant chain (3 locations) said that he had his first losing quarter in 15 years.

This won't be 2008 all over again, but 2023 is likely not going to be a good year economically.
This morning it was reported that at the end of November there were just over 10
million unfilled jobs. I’m sure there were temp holiday jobs in there but in some sectors there are still staffing shortages.
There will be a pullback in 2023 but I think we won’t have a replay of 2008.

Patience OP,.. Recession will begin to jell by second quarter of 2023 and extend well into 2024..

This morning it was reported that at the end of November there were just over 10
million unfilled jobs. I’m sure there were temp holiday jobs in there but in some sectors there are still staffing shortages.
There will be a pullback in 2023 but I think we won’t have a replay of 2008.

Options are pretty dry right now. I’m guessing that we are going to start seeing a lot of companies forcing return to office or face being fired before we start seeing hirings again

Reactions: goldmom
Good? Housing is overvalued. Stupid overvalued in a lot of markets.
I know our coastal posters, and those from big cities would think our housing prices in DSM are adorable, and they are relatively speaking, but it is amazing right now what money does not buy. Here in Ankeny, so many new houses are built on tiny lots jam packed up against one another, as if we are actually living in a big city or by the ocean/gulf, where space is at a premium. And yet, these nice-looking houses on tiny lots are selling for way more than I would ever pay for them. Then you have "older" homes here built in the 90s and early 2000s, which are mostly tired and in desperate need of renovation. To get a combination of a really nice and/or updated house on a big lot lot with a modicum of privacy, you are looking probably at homes that start at 700k, and go up to $1.3M. Even then many of the houses are a bit dated. Will these prices crash? I don't know. But we got sick of trying to find the right one to move to and basically have replaced almost everything in our house in the past few years, and added a pool, for a hell of a lot less.

I know our coastal posters, and those from big cities would think our housing prices in DSM are adorable, and they are relatively speaking, but it is amazing right now what money does not buy. Here in Ankeny, so many new houses are built on tiny lots jam packed up against one another, as if we are actually living in a big city or by the ocean/gulf, where space is at a premium. And yet, these nice-looking houses on tiny lots are selling for way more than I would ever pay for them. Then you have "older" homes here built in the 90s and early 2000s, which are mostly tired and in desperate need of renovation. To get a combination of a really nice and/or updated house on a big lot lot with a modicum of privacy, you are looking probably at homes that start at 700k, and go up to $1.3M. Even then many of the houses are a bit dated. Will these prices crash? I don't know. But we got sick of trying to find the right one to move to and basically have replaced almost everything in our house in the past few years, and added a pool, for a hell of a lot less.
That is nuts.

$500,000 will get you a nice McMansion on a big lot anywhere in the Quads.

This one is $489,000 in Moline. 4 beds, 3 baths, just off the Rock River with its own boat ramp. Lot is just under 1 full acre.

9835964752-535599821-original.jpg

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Options are pretty dry right now. I’m guessing that we are going to start seeing a lot of companies forcing return to office or face being fired before we start seeing hirings again
About 80% of companies are now requiring in office attendance and the number is expected to climb in 2023.

That is nuts.

This one is $489,000 in Moline. 4 beds, 3 baths, just off the Rock River with its own boat ramp. Lot is just under 1 full acre.

And it is pretty much a gut job, or at least a good amount of it is. So go ahead and add $250k to the price tag.

Reactions: 3boysmom
About 80% of companies are now requiring in office attendance and the number is expected to climb in 2023.
Then they can expect to lose people to companies that are offering remote work or a hybrid work plan - 2 in, 3 out or 3 in, 2 out.

And it is pretty much a gut job, or at least a good amount of it is. So go ahead and add $250k to the price tag.
Exterior is ok but the entire interior needs completely redone, opened up and you can’t get 12/11 ceilings like the new homes are putting in now, especially more appealing ranches being built with walk outs.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Does Des Moines have the jobs to support those home prices when interest rates aren’t 2.5%? And unlike the coasts, there is no natural barrier like an ocean to prevent continued development to meet what the market can afford at higher rates

And I saw those homes in Grimes when somebody posted about its development. A strong breakfast pizza fart knocks them over

That is nuts.

No big-ass front porch? No service wing? What kind of manor is this supposed to be? It's just a big box.

Does Des Moines have the jobs to support those home prices when interest rates aren’t 2.5%? And unlike the coasts, there is no natural barrier like an ocean to prevent continued development to meet what the market can afford at higher rates

And I saw those homes in Grimes when somebody posted about its development. A strong breakfast pizza fart knocks them over
We will find out in 2023!

That is nuts.

Des Moines area houses are kind of crazy. This basic 80s ranch with about 1500 sq ft. in West DSM is asking 425k.

232801894831d11ad94b5941ccd01bad-cc_ft_1536.webp

That is nuts.

Seems OK for visiting In Laws, Any pics of the main house?

Porch and deck on the back so you can enjoy watching the river flow by (when it isn't flooding your basement :) )

3638622752-535599821-original.jpg
It is a beautiful porch, and it has curb appeal. Another plus is that there are no alligators lurking in the river to kill you. But I can almost smell the house through the pictures, and but that interior is horrible...

It is a beautiful porch, and it has curb appeal. Another plus is that there are no alligators lurking in the river to kill you. But I can almost smell the house through the pictures, and but that interior is horrible...
I imagine the flood insurance premiums are insane, too.

The Rock River looks pretty in summer. This is what it looks like often off-and-on in the late winter and spring:

7797b940-0202-4407-96f4-cadc3148363a_1920x1080.jpg

5a6f3d21e5023.image.jpg

2850776f-964b-49ff-8f16-22ec5cca5871-large1x1_DresdenIceJams4.jpg

Recession might happen if the House GOP gets their way.

Of .course, that assumes the House GOP ever elects leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT