ADVERTISEMENT

When the Transfer Portal Opens - Iowa Will have NO Offensive Coordinator & NO QBs Coach

Rest assured, Kirk has "made 3 phone calls" regarding the offensive coordinator position over the past 3 months since his boss fired his son. He clarified to make sure we understood 3 phone calls did not mean he had actually interviewed anyone...just that he made 3 phone calls in 3 months discussing the position.

Hardest working man in the business, bar none!
Most here say/Believe you are a husker fan in disguise.
If you are I wonder, why this bothers you so much besides you are a troll.

Rest assured, Kirk has "made 3 phone calls" regarding the offensive coordinator position over the past 3 months since his boss fired his son. He clarified to make sure we understood 3 phone calls did not mean he had actually interviewed anyone...just that he made 3 phone calls in 3 months discussing the position.

Hardest working man in the business, bar none!
Works more than you, guaranteed!

Wait a minute. You mean to tell me a 5***** transfer portal quarterback from high octane Oregon chose to turn down the opportunity to come to Iowa, which has had 4 months to find either an offensive coordinator or a QBs coach and failed to do so? No way.

I thought for sure it would have sweetened the pot for him to know that Iowa had the worst WR room in all of college football, but its top two receivers have left the program and have not been replaced by a single WR from the portal? And its top two underclassmen WRs the year before also transferred out of the program? Hard to believe.

Mark my words, Kirk's 4 month bungling of the offensive coordinator position while every other school was proactively out there improving their offenses is going to impact Iowa not just next year but for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: amahawk
Does anyone think that Kirk is going to bring in someone as OC who will:
- Make Brian look incompetent?
- Make his decision to hire Brian look like a mistake?
- Allow changes to the offense that will discredit his stubborn resistance to change?

Reactions: onionman1
- Allow changes to the offense that will discredit his stubborn resistance to change?

For offs, Ryan at Ohio State replaces his offensive coordinator and wants him to hire his own assistant coaches. What a concept.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
So it took Alabama 2 days to find a replacement for the greatest coach of all-time. Yet Kirk can't find someone in 3 months to replace the worst offensive coordinator in college football...with nearly an unlimited budget following a 10 win season.

Make this make sense.

Reactions: SCHawkeye99
@IowasLaw The only thing that KF's delay is hurting is your ability to b*tch and whine about the person he hires. I can see the post title now "IowasLaw top 5 reasons the new OC at Iowa is a bum!". I'm sorry Kirk is cramping your style, just have some patience, you'll have plenty of time to tear down Iowa's hire soon enough.

Yes

• Wow
Reactions: IAHUNTER
So it took Alabama 2 days to find a replacement for the greatest coach of all-time. Yet Kirk can't find someone in 3 months to replace the worst offensive coordinator in college football...with nearly an unlimited budget following a 10 win season.

Make this make sense.
Yeah but look at the terrible job Norm Parker did getting Sam LaPorta ready for the next level.

Coleslaw-Recipe-2-1024x1536.jpg

Make this make sense.
Hiring coaches, like offense, is "complicated" for Kirk.

Alabama had a new coaching staff hired in 2 days. Washington had their staff poached and had a new one in place in 24 hours. Today, Arizona managed to replace their outgoing super star coach 24 hours after he left for Washington.

I'm sorry but this isn't rocket science. Iowa is coming off a 10 win season and pays more than the vast majority of schools. Chryst either wasn't interested or didn't want to wait months for Kirk to vacillate. Clearly the other candidates (and there weren't many, considering Kirk was clear that he had only made "3 calls regarding the OC position" as of last month) decided it wasn't worth the headaches to make $1M coaching Iowa's offense under Kirk.

It's coaching malpractice to stall for 3 months and still not have an OC or QB coach in place. The portal has already opened and closed. Classes have started. The new OC isn't being given a fair chance to bring in his own guys.

Last edited:

Alabama had a new coaching staff hired in 2 days. Washington had their staff poached and had a new one in place in 24 hours. Now it sounds like Arizona is about to replace their outgoing coach 24 hours after he left for Washington.

I'm sorry but this isn't rocket science. Chryst either wasn't interested or didn't want to wait months for Kirk to make up his mind. It's coaching malpractice to stall for 3 months and still not have an OC or QB coach in place. The portal has already opened and closed. Classes have started. The new OC isn't being given a fair chance to bring in his own guys.
If you are so stupid to think HC is the same as OC you are even dumber than I thought. When your HC leaves you have 30 days where players can leave to the portal. If you have no HC in place the players would be more inclined to jump in the portal. How many have left Iowa because we don't have an OC?

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day

Alabama had a new coaching staff hired in 2 days. Washington had their staff poached and had a new one in place in 24 hours. Now it sounds like Arizona is about to replace their outgoing coach 24 hours after he left for Washington.

I'm sorry but this isn't rocket science. Chryst either wasn't interested or didn't want to wait months for Kirk to make up his mind. It's coaching malpractice to stall for 3 months and still not have an OC or QB coach in place. The portal has already opened and closed. Classes have started. The new OC isn't being given a fair chance to bring in his own guys.
Different animals. Players can transfer with no loss of eligibility when there is a change at HC. Those schools are fighting off recruit loss, or a reactivated portal/exemption.

Reactions: IowasLaw
If you have no HC in place the players would be more inclined to jump in the portal. How many have left Iowa because we don't have an OC?
Very few, which is an issue.

Let’s get some guys to hit the road so we can swoop some actual talent from the portal. This, of course, would be easier if we had a name & face to go with the title Offensive Coordinator.

Sure would be nice to have a WR coach too. But you know what…f**k the offense.

Last edited:
Yikes - it's now 1/25/24 and there has not been a single confirmed interview of anyone for the OC, WR coach, or QBs coach position. Fans can shrug and say "oh I'm sure Kirk is pounding the pavement and doing everything a CEO can do to bring in the best staff," but that's wishful thinking. Not one confirmed interview...not even Paul Cryst. Whether Kirk is hush hush or not, word gets out quickly in this day and age when someone actually interviews for a Big 10 position.

Make this make sense.
Power. Prestige. Money.

Yikes - it's now 1/25/24 and there has not been a single confirmed interview of anyone for the OC, WR coach, or QBs coach position. Fans can shrug and say "oh I'm sure Kirk is pounding the pavement and doing everything a CEO can do to bring in the best staff," but that's wishful thinking. Not one confirmed interview...not even Paul Cryst. Whether Kirk is hush hush or not, word gets out quickly in this day and age when someone actually interviews for a Big 10 position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT