ADVERTISEMENT

When will be the next time we play in Maui?

Dvs9021

All-Conference
Oct 23, 2021
With the news of us being in the Emerald Coast Classic this upcoming season, I have been wondering why we are usually excluded... we have to be due soon. The last time was 2004. It's not like we are in the Lickliter years. We have been in the big dance plenty of times in the past decade. Do we need to make a sweet 16 before they invite us back?

It's limited to one B1G team so that availability is pretty narrow. It's Purdue this year. They favor elite teams and name brand teams so Iowa would probably need a few years of success similar to or better than the last few to be considered for an invite. In the B1G pecking order Iowa is probably around 7th or 8th today after the likes of Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, and Illinois. I realize that Indiana hasn't done anything this century and they probably wouldn't be considered today but the name still carries cache in the college basketball world.

Given the fact that it's been the better part of two decades, you would think our turn would come around occasionally. We are usually ranked and we certainly have a fan following. I have to wonder if there is another reason.

It's limited to one B1G team so that availability is pretty narrow. It's Purdue this year. They favor elite teams and name brand teams so Iowa would probably need a few years of success similar to or better than the last few to be considered for an invite. In the B1G pecking order Iowa is probably around 7th or 8th today after the likes of Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, and Illinois. I realize that Indiana hasn't done anything this century and they probably wouldn't be considered today but the name still carries cache in the college basketball world.
Iowa has plenty of name-brand, fan support, and success to warrant an invite, and the Maui folks feel the same. The Hawks will be back if and when Fran pushes for it.

Iowa has plenty of name-brand, fan support, and success to warrant an invite, and the Maui folks feel the same. The Hawks will be back if and when Fran pushes for it.
You honestly think that FRAN is the impediment to it not happening?

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

You honestly think that FRAN is the impediment to it not happening?

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
Yes and no. Fran essentially controls the schedule. From what I understand he hasn't lobbied hard for Maui for a variety of reasons (team isn't ready, other solid tournaments available, scheduling issues, travel issues, money, etc., all of which are understandable). I'm simply refuting that the reason Iowa hasn't been to Maui since 04-05 isn't because Iowa lacks name-brand recognition.

But I'm all ears if you have additional information.

Yes and no. Fran essentially controls the schedule. From what I understand he hasn't lobbied hard for Maui for a variety of reasons (team isn't ready, other solid tournaments available, scheduling issues, travel issues, money, etc., all of which are understandable). I'm simply refuting that the reason Iowa hasn't been to Maui since 04-05 isn't because Iowa lacks name-brand recognition.

But I'm all ears if you have additional information.
Hmmm...where did you hear this? Your post is the first I've read with such info. And I read the press daily. I've never seem McC quoted as saying anything like this about Maui. Maybe Tom Kakert can chime in here?

I don't think there's anything quotable here really. To be clear, from what I understand, it's not that he opposes Maui at all, it's simply that there have been other options available that meant he didn't need to push hard to play Maui.

I don't think there's anything quotable here really. To be clear, from what I understand, it's not that he opposes Maui at all, it's simply that there have been other options available that meant he didn't need to push hard to play Maui.
So you don't have anything to support your assertion that Maui wants Iowa but Fran isn't really interested? 🤔

With the news of us being in the Emerald Coast Classic this upcoming season, I have been wondering why we are usually excluded... we have to be due soon. The last time was 2004. It's not like we are in the Lickliter years. We have been in the big dance plenty of times in the past decade. Do we need to make a sweet 16 before they invite us back?
I am hoping for Maui in the next couple years.

So you don't have anything to support your assertion that Maui wants Iowa but Fran isn't really interested? 🤔
Where is your support for this assertion? "Iowa would probably need a few years of success similar to or better than the last few to be considered for an invite." That's what I'm refuting.

And where did I say that Maui wants Iowa and Fran isn't interested? Different preferences as to the available opportunities doesn't mean Fran isn't interested.

Anyways, regarding your question, Iowa has played Maui numerous times. Iowa fans have always traveled well there. Iowa has performed well there. Maui and Iowa get along well. I lived there, have attended the tournament on multiple occasions, and know folks that are involved with the tournament. They like Iowa just fine. Iowa doesn't lack name brand recognition and Iowa doesn't need to play well for a couple more years to be considered for an invite.

Reactions: NI hawk
Big Teams at Maui since 2000:

2023 = Purdue
2022 = Ohio State
2021 = Wisconsin
2020 = Indiana
2019 = Michigan State
2018 = Illinois
2017 = Michigan
2016 = Wisconsin
2015 = Indiana
2014 = Purdue
2013 = Minnesota
2012 = Illinois
2011 = Michigan
2010 = Michigan State
2009 = Wisconsin
2008 = Indiana
2007 = None
2006 = Purdue
2005 = Michigan State
2004 = Iowa
2003 = Ohio State
2002 = Indiana
2001 = None
2000 = Illinois

And where did I say that Maui wants Iowa and Fran isn't interested? Different preferences as to the available opportunities doesn't mean Fran isn't interesested.
Yes and no. Fran essentially controls the schedule. From what I understand he hasn't lobbied hard for Maui for a variety of reasons (team isn't ready, other solid tournaments available, scheduling issues, travel issues, money, etc., all of which are understandable).

I have no idea what you're attempting to prove with the bolded language. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. Fran can certainly be "interested" in something but not lobby hard for it.

But we're off topic as to when Iowa will return. It's a timing thing as much as anything. When do the stars align with the factors I mentioned above? Who knows. But Iowa isn't some outsider that has to earn their way back to Maui at this point.

2023 = Purdue
2022 = Ohio State
2021 = Wisconsin
2020 = Indiana
2019 = Michigan State
2018 = Illinois
2017 = Michigan
2016 = Wisconsin
2015 = Indiana
2014 = Purdue
2013 = Minnesota
2012 = Illinois
2011 = Michigan
2010 = Michigan State
2009 = Wisconsin
2008 = Indiana
2007 = None
2006 = Purdue
2005 = Michigan State
2004 = Iowa
2003 = Ohio State
2002 = Indiana
2001 = None
2000 = Illinois
Soo.... Except for those 2 appearances by Minnesota and Iowa they seem to be cycling through the same 6-7 teams that I mentioned earlier. Shocking.

Reactions: BBHawk
I have no idea what you're attempting to prove with the bolded language. These are not mutually exclusive ideas. Fran can certainly be "interested" in something but not lobby hard for it.

But we're off topic as to when Iowa will return. It's a timing thing as much as anything. When do the stars align with the factors I mentioned above? Who knows. But Iowa isn't some outsider that has to earn their way back to Maui at this point.
If it makes you feel better I think Iowa is closer to going than Rutgers, Penn St, Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota and Maryland are. How's that? 😊

Soo.... Except for those 2 appearances by Minnesota and Iowa they seem to be cycling through the same 6-7 teams that I mentioned earlier. Shocking.
Yep, they've basically cycled through the original Big Ten (sans Northwestern, bad program that doesn't travel, no surprise) every decade since the inception (Iowa appearances '87, '96, '04). Maryland went a few times during that span as well but they weren't in the Big Ten yet.

And of course there are quite a few more choices for holiday tournaments these days compared to when this started.

If we have to wait for a sweet 16 appearance to be invited to Maui, well, you know the rest.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill

2023 = Purdue
2022 = Ohio State
2021 = Wisconsin
2020 = Indiana
2019 = Michigan State
2018 = Illinois
2017 = Michigan
2016 = Wisconsin
2015 = Indiana
2014 = Purdue
2013 = Minnesota
2012 = Illinois
2011 = Michigan
2010 = Michigan State
2009 = Wisconsin
2008 = Indiana
2007 = None
2006 = Purdue
2005 = Michigan State
2004 = Iowa
2003 = Ohio State
2002 = Indiana
2001 = None
2000 = Illinois
Crap. I was hoping Iowa had a chance in 2023.

I don't think it is a Fran thing. We played in a stacked Battle 4 Atlantis in 2013.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT