ADVERTISEMENT

Where were Dix’s minutes?

People are so weird about this stuff. Rutgers has a top 10 defense in the country and was top 5 in steal % going into the game. We all saw what happened to Bowen when he was out there--Rutgers smelt blood and doubled hard and turnt him over. They would have done similar things to Dix. We needed 3 guards whom Fran could trust to handle the ball out there. Ulis has his drawbacks, but overall 4 TOs in 35 minutes against this defense is something to be commended for.

Just as it should've been today, gobbled up by Sandfort. I like JD quite a bit but Sandfort was a difference maker and deserved his minutes.
Sandfort plays the 4 , 3 and 2, so he didn’t suck up all the minutes,

even the greatest players of all time get tired and are even better when rested.

I think he and Dasonte were limited minutes due to being freshmen, on the road, versus a very physical defense that forces a lot of turnovers.

I want to see Josh get more minutes, but this was a great win and coaching job by Fran!
People are so weird about this stuff. Rutgers has a top 10 defense in the country and was top 5 in steal % going into the game. We all saw what happened to Bowen when he was out there--Rutgers smelt blood and doubled hard and turnt him over. They would have done similar things to Dix. We needed 3 guards whom Fran could trust to handle the ball out there. Ulis has his drawbacks, but overall 4 TOs in 35 minutes against this defense is something to be commended for.
But putting in walkon Kingsbury was OK. He wouldn’t be nearly as rattled as Dix?

“I gotta get him more minutes” Josh Dix? Glad for the win.
No reason Dix couldn’t spell Perkins while Sandfort spelled Kris.

rebraca played all 20 2nd half minutes and went 0-4 with 5 rebounds, thats really poor production and shouldve had some rest

Kris goes only 3-5 and 8 points, and 3 rebounds again,

but that’s not much production for 40 minutes from your C and PF.( 8 points and 8 rebounds total, combined )

they and the team could benefit from some better player rotations

But putting in walkon Kingsbury was OK. He wouldn’t be nearly as rattled as Dix?
He didn't play the guard position. He came in when Connor and Kris were on the bench and defended Mag for 3 minutes at the end of the half. While Dix may be the same height as Kingsbury, who would you rather have boxing out and defending opposing power forwards? I'll take the guy who's built like a linebacker.

Connor at pg
Let Dix spell Perkins.

Limit minutes for Ulis and Bowen.

We desperately need to hit the portal for a pg. Really wish he wouldn't have ran off JoeT. He would be a big upgrade from what we have at PG right now.

He didn't play the guard position. He came in when Connor and Kris were on the bench and defended Mag for 3 minutes at the end of the half. While Dix may be the same height as Kingsbury, who would you rather have boxing out and defending opposing power forwards? I'll take the guy who's built like a linebacker.
This…!

Reactions: amahawk

rebraca played all 20 2nd half minutes and went 0-4 with 5 rebounds, thats really poor production and shouldve had some rest

but that’s not much production for 40 minutes from your C and PF.( 8 points and 8 rebounds total, combined )

Unfortunately this is the same thing we were talking about the other day. For FR (and to some degree KM) to get more rest we need Josh and Mulvey to step up. Evidently Josh is injured, (have never heard anything on when he might be back), and Mulvey would probably have been in over his head.

Reactions: KcTo and Bishop1971

I think it's legitimate discussion and a valid point IF there was no reason for Kinsbury going in instead of Dix.

That said, we don't know. It has been offered up that Dix tweaked something in the few minutes he did play and that Kingsbury wasn't playing the same position. This would be a good question for Fran on the call in show.

Life's good when we can discuss a very minor situation like this after a strong road win over a team that was tied for first in the league and playing really well.

Rebraca didn't struggle in 2nd half because he was tired. It was Rutgers defense and players swarming him.

He was getting clean looks at the basket in the 1st half but not the 2nd. That was all Rutgers.

He needed to be on the floor for rebounding.

We all agree Fran has to start working in Dix and Bowen more but today was probably the worst opponent to do that against and Iowa had to get this win for the tournament resume when it was there for the taking.

Connor at pg
Let Dix spell Perkins.

Limit minutes for Ulis and Bowen.

We desperately need to hit the portal for a pg. Really wish he wouldn't have ran off JoeT. He would be a big upgrade from what we have at PG right now.
More minutes for Bowen.

Playing Ulis limited minutes in this game probably would have resulted in 30+ turnovers and getting run out of the gym.

You need a minimum of 3 ballhandlers on the floor against Rutgers.

Fran said today was as good of a job of executing the game plan as he's ever seen. That all started with Ulis in the high screen with Rebraca.

Iowa put up 20 more points than Rutgers usually gives up because they actually got clean looks.

Last edited:
Rebraca didn't struggle in 2nd half because he was tired. It was Rutgers defense and players swarming him.

He was getting clean looks at the basket in the 1st half but not the 2nd. That was all Rutgers.

We all agree Fran has to start working in Dix and Bowen more but today was probably the worst opponent to do that against and Iowa had to get this win for the tournament resume when it was there for the taking.
Not sure you can definitively say that. Post play is mostly about position. If you are worn out it’s hard to maintain.
Fran needs to steal time by either subbing for rebraca a minute before tv timeouts and/or combining it with a timeout a minute before the tv timeout to rest guys he plays the most.
There are tricks to gain some rest time.

Reactions: hawksense
Interesting that fans are criticizing distribution of playing time after a road win against maybe the hottest team in the conference, maybe in the country.
Fran makes it easy to question his rotations. His substitutions are a mystery a lot of times. There's plenty of reason to not play Dix but you apologists would actually have to know something about basketball to make those arguments except you use a lame results argument over actual legit reasons not to play Dix. Not understanding the Dix love in this thread. Are people questioning Fran's unusual playing time or do people really think Dix deserves more minutes? True freshman averaging 10 minutes a game and 2 points a game. Is that the production this team needed to beat Rutgers on the road?

Not sure you can definitively say that. Post play is mostly about position. If you are worn out it’s hard to maintain.
Fran needs to steal time by either subbing for rebraca a minute before tv timeouts and/or combining it with a timeout a minute before the tv timeout to rest guys he plays the most.
There are tricks to gain some rest time.

I agree he can't continue to play these minutes as a long term strategy.

Today his points were not on post ups when going against Omoruiy in either half besides the one where he pass faked. He wasn't winning the position battle on the block in either half.

First half he got free on screens, dives to the basket, dump offs and offensive rebounds.

I can definitively say he had many more open looks at the rim in the first half vs second because that's what happened.

Reactions: Bishop1971

So you're in favor of giving by far your two best players more bench time?? Those two guys need to be out on the floor as much as possible. Rebraca played the entire game because there isn't a backup 5 to speak of and Kris only played 34 today.

So you're in favor of giving by far your two best players more bench time?? Those two guys need to be out on the floor as much as possible. Rebraca played the entire game because there isn't a backup 5 to speak of and Kris only played 34 today.
Exactly. No complaints from me for riding Rebraca and Kris. You want to complain about having to ride them because Fran's lack of ability to address the 5 position in recruiting that's a whole different thread.

Overslept and missed the game. Anyone know when if there is a replay?

I thought Josh was limping a little late in Indiana game. When he went to the bench I think he was kind of rubbing the bad leg. Have to be really careful with that leg this year. He had a terrible injury and we don't want it to be a recurring thing. Might explain what I understand to be his absence against Rutgers.

I thought Josh was limping a little late in Indiana game. When he went to the bench I think he was kind of rubbing the bad leg. Have to be really careful with that leg this year. He had a terrible injury and we don't want it to be a recurring thing. Might explain what I understand to be his absence against Rutgers.
He played in first half. Did fine.

Rutgers dialed up the pressure big time in the second half and the starters were having a hard enough time hanging on to the ball.

Fran makes it easy to question his rotations. His substitutions are a mystery a lot of times. There's plenty of reason to not play Dix but you apologists would actually have to know something about basketball to make those arguments except you use a lame results argument over actual legit reasons not to play Dix. Not understanding the Dix love in this thread. Are people questioning Fran's unusual playing time or do people really think Dix deserves more minutes? True freshman averaging 10 minutes a game and 2 points a game. Is that the production this team needed to beat Rutgers on the road?
l like Josh Dix and think he has a great future, but I think Fran recognized what the team needed and when they needed it to get a W.

Rebraca 2nd half was 0-5, zero points and 5 rebounds, while playing every minute.
-> is this the best production can expect for 20 minutes of playing time?

kriss played all 20 2nd half minutes and managed only 5 FGs, 8 points and 3 rebounds.

it should be obvious to all that even your starts get exhausted and benefit from a 2-3 minute blows. Good coaching pulls them before the TV time out to get them a longer rest.

this are simple successful game coaching tenets.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974

A. But then why ’work‘ Kingsbury into game if it was too tough a team for Dix and Bowen. Dix closed the win on the floor vs a nationally ranked IU? Why Kingsbury today?

Unfortunately this is the same thing we were talking about the other day. For FR (and to some degree KM) to get more rest we need Josh and Mulvey to step up. Evidently Josh is injured, (have never heard anything on when he might be back), and Mulvey would probably have been in over his head.
But Mulvey played very well in his 90 seconds vs IU…
i cant see how Mulvey playing in short increments instantly crashes the IOWA BB server…

B. 1st half, 5-8, 7 R, 12 points
2nd half 0-5 , 5 rebounds, 4 points , 2 TO

there is truth in that Rutgers doubled teamed him, and they were mugging him, that’s what they do all game long, however he missed all his shots, and also got emphatically swatted on a 1v1 vs Omuri ( no double team )

Rebecca is a warrior, however, you cant run your horses 40 minutes every night and expect them to not wear down, not become less efficient. I’m simply provided evidence that supports this theory.

I think he and Dasonte were limited minutes due to being freshmen, on the road, versus a very physical defense that forces a lot of turnovers.

I want to see Josh get more minutes, but this was a great win and coaching job by Fran!
That shouldn’t be an excuse if the starters are shooting as they are. Dix hasn’t been bad on defense either. Fran just is weird about adjusting minutes and is slow to make a move on a hot or cold hand.

Reactions: vamchawk
i cant see how Mulvey playing in short increments instantly crashes the IOWA BB server…
He looked decent in short minutes too. A little out of pace with the other four players on court but eh. I like fran and he has adjusted a bit from playing too many players or too many subs to this, but he needs to be flexible still. Dix should have be rewarded with more minutes and it can’t hurt to give mulvey a short lease opportunity here and there.

• Love
Reactions: Bishop1971 and KcTo
He looked decent in short minutes too. A little out of pace with the other four players on court but eh. I like fran and he has adjusted a bit from playing too many players or too many subs to this, but he needs to be flexible still. Dix should have be rewarded with more minutes and it can’t hurt to give mulvey a short lease opportunity here and there.
100% agree.

if Mulvey plays 2-3 minutes he has shown he won’t crash the servers, rather, I’d posit that he May actually contribute, get an offensive rebounds, maybe a defense rebound, contest shots, and may even score the ball if given a reasonable opportunity.

B. 1st half, 5-8, 7 R, 12 points
2nd half 0-5 , 5 rebounds, 4 points , 2 TO

there is truth in that Rutgers doubled teamed him, and they were mugging him, that’s what they do all game long, however he missed all his shots, and also got emphatically swatted on a 1v1 vs Omuri ( no double team )

Rebecca is a warrior, however, you cant run your horses 40 minutes every night and expect them to not wear down, not become less efficient. I’m simply provided evidence that supports this theory.
No, thats not what was happening in the first half. He was getting comparatively easier looks off of penetration where he was facing the basket in position to score.

The second half were more back to the basket looks where Rutgers had time to double.

The looks he got in the 1st half were much easier than what he got in the second half so you cannot use the two as a relevant comparison.

I agree he shouldn't play 40 minutes.

His injury the other day was a sprained ankle I believe, and was on the OTHER foot.

I really do agree that Fran needs to ride him for a few minutes a game, and see if he can get him more involved. At this point he has no other option, and as I pointed out earlier playing Kris and or FR 38-40 minutes a game will NOT be sustainable as we move through conference play.

Reactions: hawksense and KcTo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT