ADVERTISEMENT

Harding

Can anyone give me a reason why Harding only got 3 minutes last? I thought in the Illinois game he was sensational. 13 minutes, 6 points, 6 assists. Really provided energy when Fran sat Perkins. I just don’t understand his limited minutes last night, especially the way Dix was struggling.
Yeah. Who got his minutes??? ;)

Reactions: NevadaHawk
it was very disappointing but obviously Fran wasn't treating the NIT game as a boost to the younger players minutes

JXPCN6l.jpg

As I mentioned in a different thread, Tony's defense on their leading scorer (and MVP of the NIT for North Texas last year) was really good. And while he only had 9 pts and had 3 turnovers, Tony did have 8 assists. Yeah, Pmac's defense was not good, but that's another issue. IMO it was Tony's defense on their stud that kept Brock out.

Harding came in and didn't play well, had that terrible one handed turnover and then benched. Perkins played all damn game though, and that's probably why.

I think Harding had two assists. If playing poorly was the issue, why would PMAC be averaging around 23 mpg this season, right about his career average. Fran has bias towards seniors and his DNA, that explains much of what Fran does about PT.

If playing Tony the majority of the minutes in theses games convinces him to come back next year, then so be it. Hope he does.
Patrick's coming back, bank on it!
I mean where else is Patrick going to transfer and play? He wouldn’t start or even play at MVC schools like Drake or Indiana State. He’d have to go low division one to even get minutes.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I think Harding had two assists. If playing poorly was the issue, why would PMAC be averaging around 23 mpg this season, right about his career average. Fran has bias towards seniors and his DNA, that explains much of what Fran does about PT.
Oh I agree, I'm just answering what happened. I like Harding a lot, can't wait to see him grow.

Tyler Perry is/was KSU's best player and the key to their offense. The only player Iowa has that can remotely check a guy like that is Perk. Perry played 35 minutes so Perk had to play atleast that many to balance that. Fran can't really play Perk and Harding at the same time because that means either Sandfort or Dix sits and when that happens we lose size and shooting. Harding didn't play a lot only due to the matchup. I think he gets a few more minutes at Utah because they are not PG dominant and so Fran has a little more wiggle room. Plus, it is going to be asking a lot of Perk to play 35+ minutes on the road at that elevation.

For next year, Harding just needs to work on his shot. Him and Freeman could cause the B1G a lot of problems in pick-and-roll situations if Harding could shoot in the high 30's. I know that is not Fran's offense, however, it could be a wrinkle that could be used sparingly and effectively.

Can't play pmac as much if brock gets minutes. Dix was playing poorly but won't take him out. Fran see's a team make any effort to back down harding and he pulls him, whether successful or not. Fran will watch his son play horrific defense and not rebound but that's ok.

I think Harding is gonna be really good, but I'm not concerned about his minutes in the NIT games. His development is going to come in the off-season. Get a little stronger, continue to work on shooting and ball handling.

Perk's going to leave, Bowen is gone. Next year is Harding's time.

Reactions: Gus is dead
I think Harding is gonna be really good, but I'm not concerned about his minutes in the NIT games. His development is going to come in the off-season. Get a little stronger, continue to work on shooting and ball handling.

Fran needs to go into the portal hard after pg's. We're set at wings.

Reactions: Bierhalter
If playing Tony the majority of the minutes in theses games convinces him to come back next year, then so be it. Hope he does.
Patrick's coming back, bank on it!
I don't see any way PMac returns next year. His body language generally says he's frustrated and is ready for all this to be over. I would be shocked if he was in an Iowa uniform next season. OTOH, I could see him taking his final year somewhere else, get a fresh perspective. But going through it again at Iowa? I just don't see it.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I don't see any way PMac returns next year. His body language generally says he's frustrated and is ready for all this to be over. I would be shocked if he was in an Iowa uniform next season. OTOH, I could see him taking his final year somewhere else, get a fresh perspective. But going through it again at Iowa? I just don't see it.
Send him to Drake

Roster shrinkage happens all the time come tournament season. Teams are still trying to win games and often most trustworthy players get the minutes. I guess you’d have to ask Fran if that is why.
Iowa didn't make the tournament.

These are exhibition games.

None of the reasons hold water when the guy who's actually getting the time is Patrick.

Fran needs to go into the portal hard after pg's. We're set at wings.
There's also another place Fran could go to get help to bolster Iowa's guard play, the Junior college ranks. The portal isn't the end all.
If Fran can get a guard that will help Iowa get to the sweet 16, I'm in, but NIL will be a problem. As good as I know Brock is and will be, he can't play every minute, Proclaiming Brock and Riley will start next year, was a little premature on my part, instead both will play at least extended minutes next year.
Iowa will contend for the Big title and play in next years NCAA tournament and be a low seed. I love Iowa's returning players and losing Bowen is just a hiccup that can be overcome.

Last edited:
Harding works best when he can create buckets, but in doing so he will turn the ball over more than Fran likes. I think overall it's a positive, but I don't think Fran sees it that way.

Reactions: LukaDuka

Yeah, getting high level tournament experience is overrated :rolleyes:

Harding came in and didn't play well, had that terrible one handed turnover and then benched. Perkins played all damn game though, and that's probably why.
Didn't KSU make a run when he was in too, likely as a result of those turnovers? If he didn't have it that night, I'm ok with him not getting as much playing time. Especially if others are playing much better. If Harding wants to get more minutes, don't enter the game and immediately give up two turnovers, especially if you are one of the ball handlers.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Didn't KSU make a run when he was in too, likely as a result of those turnovers? If he didn't have it that night, I'm ok with him not getting as much playing time. Especially if others are playing much better. If Harding wants to get more minutes, don't enter the game and immediately give up two turnovers, especially if you are one of the ball handlers.
He had 2 assists and 1 TO in 3 minutes.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT