ADVERTISEMENT

Which Declaration of Independence signer's original autograph (an original, not a copy) is the most valuable?

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003
A. Thomas Jefferson​
B. Sam Adams​
C. John Adams​
D. Benjamin Franklin​
E. John Hancock​
F. Another of the original 56 signers​
Button Gwinnett

If the name Button Gwinnett doesn’t ring a bell, you’re in good company, even among many American history buffs. Unremarkable as he was, Gwinnett’s rare signed document accounted for completing an autograph collection of the signatories of the Declaration of Independence that was purchased by dealer John Reznikoff for a record price of $1.4 million.

Gwinnett, a businessman and politician who represented Georgia at the First Continental Congress, was the first of the signatories to die, his passing in 1777 the result of losing a duel less than a year after the Declaration was issued, when he challenged a rival for calling him “a scoundrel and a lying rascal.” The last Button Gwinnett document to sell at auction fetched nearly $700,000 over a decade ago at Sotheby’s.

John Reznikoff, the president of University Archives, purchased the set and immediately placed it with a client. He said that a Gwinnett signature is often the missing piece of the complete 56-signature set, considered a plum among collectors. “Gwinnett was among the least-known of the signers, so relatively few examples, thought to be as few as ten in private hands, were preserved and were not considered to have much value,” Reznikoff said. “Today, a Button is often the jewel that completes the crown, but purchasing one would cost well over one million dollars.”

Sam Adams, I think. Didn't he destroy all of his personal correspondence?

Or, is this some BS trick question where one of them didn't sign the DoI?

Sam Adams, I think. Didn't he destroy all of his personal correspondence?
He did. Just finished his biography and there is very little of his personal writings. I also learned that John Hancock was quite the dandy--hence the signature style.

He did. Just finished his biography and there is very little of his personal writings. I also learned that John Hancock was quite the dandy--hence the signature style.
I think I heard an interview with the author of that book on NPR.

I think I heard an interview with the author of that book on NPR.
It's good...but very dense...like all her biographies. He was fully committed to being a rebel--where all other business and relationships fell to the side.

Samuel Adams is the forgotten Founding Father and really a first among equals. For a period after the Revolution, the public would have ranked along side Washington if not above him. The British would certainly have hanged him first and he knew it...it's probably the biggest reason he burned all his papers in order to protect his friends. He didn't give a damn about the fame. I read a story about him going to France to a hero's welcome and he tried to claim they were mistaken - he wasn't THAT Samuel Adams. Remarkable man.

Reactions: Joes Place
One of those men’s name has become synonymous with a person’s signature, and it is all because of the one that he put front and center on the declaration. I’d guess that is the one most valuable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT