ADVERTISEMENT

Which varsity sports are only offered by ONE college or university in Iowa?

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
I was having this discussion with a friend over an Iowa baseball game. He and I are both fans of Iowa baseball and Drake Men's Soccer (he has been a season ticket holder to each), and we realized that these are two programs that have had some nice success in the last decade. Drake soccer has three NCAA tournament appearances, with a 5-2 record in the NCAA tournament including an Elite 8 11s appearance. And now I believe Iowa baseball is the only D1 school in Iowa with a baseball program and has (obviously) had some conference championship and national success recently. So, are there any other sports that are the domain of only one school, or one school within their NCAA division in Iowa? (Upper Iowa not withstanding that second part, being that they are the only D2 school in Iowa)

Last edited:
Women's rowing. Men's and women's gymnastics?

You got one...

Men's Gymnastics: Iowa
Women's Rowing: Drake and Iowa
Women's Gymnastics: Iowa and Iowa State

EDIT: I should have remembered rugby as I played it. Iowa Central is the only small college varsity rugby scholarship program. Palmer College is the only Division 1 varsity rugby program, though Iowa has made the national 7s tournament as a club program twice in the last few years, with room and board sponsored by the almuni club.

Last edited:
I was having this discussion with a friend over an Iowa baseball game. He and I are both fans of Iowa baseball and Drake Men's Soccer (he has been a season ticket holder to each), and we realized that these are two programs that have had some nice success in the last decade. Drake soccer has three NCAA tournament appearances, with a 5-2 record in the NCAA tournament including an Elite 8 11s appearance. And now I believe Iowa baseball is the only D1 school in Iowa with a baseball program and has (obviously) had some conference championship and national success recently. So, are they any other sports that are the domain of only one school, or one school within their NCAA division in Iowa? (Upper Iowa not withstanding that second part, being that they are the only D2 school in Iowa)

Women's Field Hockey?

Grand View has men's volleyball. NAIA. Not sure if the other NAIA schools in Iowa have it.
Grand View also has men,s and women's bowling. Plus coed shooting! and list coed cheerleading as a sport. Also the GV women have another sport which I can't remember.

Grand View also has men,s and women's bowling. Plus coed shooting! and list coed cheerleading as a sport. Also the GV women have another sport which I can't remember.

Iowa Central has shooting too. I have a relative who went there on scholarship for it. Not sure if there are different divisions for collegiate trap shooting.

ISU dropped men’s swimming when they dropped baseball. Does anyone other than Iowa have that?

Not at the Division 1 level, so there's another one. Multiple D3 and NAIA schools in the state have men's swimming though.

So far we have established the following as the only D1 programs in their sport...

Baseball - Iowa
Men's Soccer - Drake
Men's Swimming - Iowa
Men's Gymnastics - Iowa
Women's Field Hockey - Iowa

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT