ADVERTISEMENT

Whiplash

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
A really good movie about a kid who went to a prestigious conservatory to play the drums. The story revolves around his drive to be the best and his main teacher's abusiveness/drive to be the best. No spoilers but the end was pretty epic. Worth a rent.

I have not seen Life Itself but we did see Imitation Game. That was an awesome movie. Not sure which was better, that or Whiplash. Very different. Probably would depend on what mood you were in.

Originally posted by Tenacious E:
I have not seen Life Itself but we did see Imitation Game. That was an awesome movie. Not sure which was better, that or Whiplash. Very different. Probably would depend on what mood you were in.
Are any of these better than The Money Pit?

Give Life Itself a try. (But I've always been a big fan of documentaries; I still think Hoop Dreams is one of the top 20 movies of all time). Ebert's story is interesting - talks about his cancer, of course, and his problems with alcohol.

If you like documentaries I would recommend Spellbound and Bully. Spellbound follows kids training for the national spelling bee. Very entertaining. Bully follows some kids who are bullied. Very depressing.

Whiplash is a very intense movie. I was suprised how much it affected me. I love the topic and felt for the kid who was leaving a lot of his life on the wayside- sort of reminded me of Shine in that regard. the ending was a vindication.

my favorite movie this year was Nightcrawler. JG was outstanding and now, Patrick Bateman has met his socio-pathic equal in Lou Bloom.

Originally posted by DrVenkman:

my favorite movie this year was Nightcrawler. JG was outstanding and now, Patrick Bateman has met his socio-pathic equal in Lou Bloom.
And far and away the winner of the best movie with the worst advertising campaign.

You know if you have a tomatometer score of 95% and an audience score of 96% you've done something right!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT