ADVERTISEMENT

Whitlock: NCAA using DEI to bust Caitlin Clark's and Iowa's WBB bracket

This grifter needs to keep Caitlin's name out of his mouth

Will Smith Reaction GIF by saschamoellersde

So you feel that Iowa got a very fair draw for being the no.2 rated team in America.

Ha. Ok, got it.

Not saying his reason is right but Iowa definitely got screwed & it doesn’t make any sense.

Iowa got the hardest region for a one seed but it's not like a 1 seed has ever gotten screwed with a stacked region before.

Hell look at the men's tourney UConn was the #1 overall seed and their region has 3 P5 teams that won their conference tourney. It would be pretty easy to make an argument that they got screwed worse than Iowa.

I have no idea about how tough their draw is but you knew LSU would be in the region.

The NCAA tourney is a TV show. They create story's every single year. This year in men's you have ISU Drake in 2nd round and Nebraska facing Texas AM in both women's and men's. Those are just the ones I am familiar with. I'm sure there are more.

Every single year.

Hi Beth - thanks :)

Current women's committee members​

NameSchool/ConferencePosition
Nina KingDukeVice President and Director of Athletics
Beth Goetz ฿IowaAthletic Director
Deneé BarracatoNorthwesternDeputy Director of Athletics
Amanda BraunMilwaukeeAthletic Director
Greg BurkeNorthwestern StateAthletic Director
Kurt McGuffinTennessee-MartinAthletic Director
Lisa PetersonOregonDeputy Director of Athletics
Derita Ratcliffe DawkinsArkansasDeputy Director of Athletics
Janice RuggieroNew MexicoDeputy Director of Athletics and Senior Woman Administrator
Jill ShieldsKansas StateDeputy Athletics Director
Lynn TigheVillanovaSenior Associate Athletics Director and Senior Woman Administrator

Iowa got the hardest region for a one seed but it's not like a 1 seed has ever gotten screwed with a stacked region before.

Hell look at the men's tourney UConn was the #1 overall seed and their region has 3 P5 teams that won their conference tourney. It would be pretty easy to make an argument that they got screwed worse than Iowa.
When has any Iowa team ever got an easy road Nationally?

Hi Beth - thanks :)

Current women's committee members​

NameSchool/ConferencePosition
Nina KingDukeVice President and Director of Athletics
Beth Goetz ฿IowaAthletic Director
Deneé BarracatoNorthwesternDeputy Director of Athletics
Amanda BraunMilwaukeeAthletic Director
Greg BurkeNorthwestern StateAthletic Director
Kurt McGuffinTennessee-MartinAthletic Director
Lisa PetersonOregonDeputy Director of Athletics
Derita Ratcliffe DawkinsArkansasDeputy Director of Athletics
Janice RuggieroNew MexicoDeputy Director of Athletics and Senior Woman Administrator
Jill ShieldsKansas StateDeputy Athletics Director
Lynn TigheVillanovaSenior Associate Athletics Director and Senior Woman Administrator
Because of ethics, she would not be able to say anything about Iowa's placement

I wonder how much of the draw is because Goetz had to leave the room for Iowa discussions, and how much of the draw was about story lines. They do try to select based on contrasting styles, but its a bit unuasual to have this big of a theme with opponents, priceton/WV are the only pressing teams? 3 teams from this bracket spend 15/19 weeks at number2 in the countey, LSU (never #2, but was #1). Colorado also not #2 during the year, but spent a lot of time in the top 10

I have no idea about how tough their draw is but you knew LSU would be in the region.

The NCAA tourney is a TV show. They create story's every single year. This year in men's you have ISU Drake in 2nd round and Nebraska facing Texas AM in both women's and men's. Those are just the ones I am familiar with. I'm sure there are more.

Every single year.
Not only that but one also knew that they would have Van Lith playing against Louisville. There have been a helluva lot of coincidences in the brackets that tell us the committees set potential matchups on purpose. I question the rubber match against KSU also.

It’s funny, I think Whitlock originally had an anti-CC take like a few months or a year ago, assuming that would land big with his audience. When that didn’t work, its looked like he’s now pivoted to pro-CC DEI takes.

Whitlock, Clay Travis, Jemelle Hill - the best thing America can do is ignore all of them and realize they are trying to generate views. I realize I’m doing the opposite by commenting here but not watching Whitlock’s video. Keep your politics (ON EITHER SIDE!!!) out of my sports.

It’s funny, I think Whitlock originally had an anti-CC take like a few months or a year ago, assuming that would land big with his audience. When that didn’t work, its looked like he’s now pivoted to pro-CC DEI takes.

Whitlock, Clay Travis, Jemelle Hill - the best thing America can do is ignore all of them and realize they are trying to generate views. I realize I’m doing the opposite by commenting here but not watching Whitlock’s video. Keep your politics (ON EITHER SIDE!!!) out of my sports.
Jemelle could make a point or two if she didn't bring race into EVERYTHING. She would be the perfect example of that. I hear her pop up somewhere and within 4-5 sentences I think, "Oh good God, here we go again."

This story from ESPN says, and I quote, "Iowa -- a No. 1 seed for the first time since 1992 -- should have earned the 2nd-easiest corner of the bracket, but instead got the hardest."

Here is that story from that ESPN reporter, who knows more about women's college basketball than any of us:

Women's March Madness bracket Winners, Losers

i

Michael Voepel, ESPN.com
Mar 17, 2024, 11:34 PM ET

Who are the winners and losers of the women's NCAA tournament bracket? We start on the losers' side, and it begins with the last two teams standing in 2023. Both aren't going to make it to Cleveland. In fact, neither one might be there.

The Albany 2 Regional has three teams that many might have picked to make the Final Four before the bracket was revealed: defending national champion LSU, national runner-up Iowa and UCLA.

Who thought this was a good idea?
Apparently the NCAA selection committee, which decided to jam-pack that trio together, along with No. 4 seed Kansas State.

Iowa -- a No. 1 seed for the first time since 1992 -- should have earned the second-easiest corner of the bracket, but instead got the hardest.

The Big Ten tournament champion Hawkeyes, SEC tournament runner-up LSU and Pac-12 semifinalist UCLA were all in the top four in the preseason Associated Press poll and are in the top eight now. Of course, poll rankings are one thing and NCAA tournament placement another. Still, it's a surprise to see them all together.

"Initially, I just thought, 'Oooh, this is a tough, tough region,'" LSU coach Kim Mulkey said of her first reaction to the bracket.

Let's further break down the women's bracket winners and losers, and what the path ahead looks like for unbeaten South Carolina and Caitlin Clark and Iowa.

Losers​

i

Iowa Hawkeyes

Last season, Stanford -- the No. 1 seed in Iowa's regional -- was eliminated in the second round by Ole Miss. The Rebels were subsequently defeated by Louisville, which then fell to Iowa in the Elite Eight.

It wasn't an easy path to the Final Four for the Hawkeyes in 2023, but it seems easier in retrospect to what they could face this season in Albany 2.

The potential difficulty starts in the second round. The Hawkeyes, who shouldn't have trouble in their opener against the Holy Cross-UT Martin winner, would face the 8-9 West Virginia-Princeton winner next.

Last year, Georgia's ability to defend Iowa made for a nerve-wracking second-round win for the Hawkeyes. It could be similar if they face West Virginia, which leads the Big 12 in steals. Against Princeton, Iowa would face a program that upset Kentucky two years ago.

Should seeds hold, Iowa will have a third meeting this season vs. Kansas State; the teams played twice in November, with the Wildcats winning the first and the Hawkeyes the second. Center Ayoka Lee provides the muscle inside for a K-State team that pushed Texas in the Big 12 semifinals.

If Iowa makes the Elite Eight against either No. 2 UCLA or No. 3 LSU, one of the biggest issues will be how the Hawkeyes combat the size inside for both teams.

in this video, the people at ESPN who cover women's college basketball discuss why the Albany 2 Region is the toughest.

They call it "murderer's row."

Hit the PLAY button:

Seriously, He is right...

Why is it so hard for some to admit the Hawks got screwed? Now, they still have to play the games, but the committee did not do the Hawks or themselves any favors by putting Iowa in a position where they will have a tougher road to the final 4. Caitlin IS the draw right now for viewership. It is that simple and anyone who denies it is an idiot.

This probably one of the few cases where I'd prefer an AI program replacing the Human Committee.

Instead of using a group of people that may share or are sucked into group think of bias, jealousies, personal agendas (including rewards) it would be a program (AI) based on rules of selection...nothing to do with creating drama or rematches or vendettas.

This committee understood that Iowas achilles heal is the post. Big posts cause problems for Iowa and they loaded Iowas's region with teams that have really good big post and front courts.

ND on the other side of SC has injury issues....they probably will never make it to play SC. Would have liked to see ND instead of LSU/UCLA. OU instead of K-st....OU is better than K-st but it would have been nice to see OU coach (former Iowa player Jennie Baranczyk who Bluder coached in her first season). The Sooners under Baranczyk won the Big12 regular season and they are up temp and have nice personalities....like Iowa. The committee were too focused on ways to trip Iowa than game of potential of interest. and good story lines.

JFC get a grip. Whitlock is a demented grifter.

JFC get a grip. Whitlock is a demented grifter.
Why - Because he doesn't hold the line on the expected narrative? My guess is you don't like his politics or religious views so of course everything he says has to be termed as being a grifter. Maybe he should just fall in line with all the others - hmmm?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT