ADVERTISEMENT

Who is a Military Veteran on here? Thanks for your service!

I have a question for any vets here. How do you feel when someone says "thank you for your service"? Do you take it as a compliment? The reason I ask is because I have never served in the military. It seems like something that is a bit shallow to say since I don't know a thing about what it's like to serve. I would appreciate your perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker1999
I have also thought that the "thanks for your service" thing was pretty plastic,... but I didn't serve either, so maybe it's just me....

I have a question for any vets here. How do you feel when someone says "thank you for your service"? Do you take it as a compliment? The reason I ask is because I have never served in the military. It seems like something that is a bit shallow to say since I don't know a thing about what it's like to serve. I would appreciate your perspective.
when you think about it, if people didn't voluntarily enter the military, we would probably need a draft?

I just bought a Trumpy Bear, and then emailed all of my representatives to cut VA funding and eliminate the GI bill.

Go 'Merica!!!!

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA5OC85ODYvb3JpZ2luYWwvU3VsbGl2YW4tQnJvcy1OTy1SRVVTRS5qcGc=

Yeah, when I hear it I don't know what to say so I just smile.

I was an active duty Army officer for 28 years and also a service-disabled veteran (40% according to the VA). No war stories here, my disability is a compressed disc between C5-C6 and resulting cervical arthritis that came about playing football during unit PT. That was rated line-of-duty Yes.

I'd prefer people didn't thank me for my service. That type of comment should be reserved for the guys that got limbs blown off or worse.

I was an active duty Army officer for 28 years and also a service-disabled veteran (40% according to the VA). No war stories here, my disability is a compressed disc between C5-C6 and resulting cervical arthritis that came about playing football during unit PT. That was rated line-of-duty Yes.

I'd prefer people didn't thank me for my service. That type of comment should be reserved for the guys that got limbs blown off or worse.

Thank you for the feedback, sir!

I actually feel really uncomfortable when someone says it to me. I get that most mean it, it's just weird. I really want to tell them "If you want to thank the vets, get our freaking government to fix how the VA runs and get us out of forever wars"

I actually feel really uncomfortable when someone says it to me. I get that most mean it, it's just weird. I really want to tell them "If you want to thank the vets, get our freaking government to fix how the VA runs and get us out of forever wars"

Oh, and demand that before a single soldier gets sent to a country in anger, it takes approval by both House of Congress. The idea that one man, in either party, has the power to send young men into combat is insane.

I would accept exceptions (Bin Laden raid being an example), but any large number of troops in a long term engagement should have approval of Congress. It's the Department of Defense, not the Department of Let's go Kick Ass.

Oh, and demand that before a single soldier gets sent to a country in anger, it takes approval by both House of Congress. The idea that one man, in either party, has the power to send young men into combat is insane.
I would agree with you before we entered the era of Obstruct and Resist politics a couple of years ago. Nowadays I think Pelosi and Schumer would sell out on America before they'd cooperate with Trump on anything.

Add me to the list of feeling awkward but generally I just say thanks and nothing else.

I don't yell at them or spit on them, so don't say it. But, I don't thank them either. This is all propaganda to glorify the war system. First it was Armistice Day, commemorating the end of WW1. Now, our tax $$$ are spent by the Dept. of Offense at sporting events where coaches rock Army camo green. How flipping disgusting promoting war. And people slop it up. Quit signing up and there will be less wars. The last constitutionally declared war was WW2. Everything else has been illegal.

I feel sheepish. I was in the Air Force for 4 years and while it could have been rough with certain assignments, it wasn't. I was in Boston for 4 years as a weapons systems cost analyst and I was never deployed. Closest thing to that was occassional TDY to DC/Crystal City for briefings on the National Missile Defense program. I compare that to the Army boots on the ground in Iraq/Afghanistan and I'm like yeah, that's service to thank someone for...

I never ask to serve. They took me for two years during Vietnam, but I did my time and got the hell out.

9th Infantry Division, Dong Tam, Mekong Delta. I am with Quix0te, the ones who lost limbs and lives are the heroes.

I would agree with you before we entered the era of Obstruct and Resist politics a couple of years ago. Nowadays I think Pelosi and Schumer would sell out on America before they'd cooperate with Trump on anything.

I'll say this, I trust the whole of the Senate and House far more than I trust any POTUS.

I think that people want to thank vets because of the terrible treatment guys got in Vietnam. People are a lot more educated now and realize it's not the GIs that decided to go wage war. I think the draft had a big effect on older generations and their children. You going means I don't have to. That is what they're appreciative of.

I think that people want to thank vets because of the terrible treatment guys got in Vietnam. People are a lot more educated now and realize it's not the GIs that decided to go wage war. I think the draft had a big effect on older generations and their children. You going means I don't have to. That is what they're appreciative of.

The reason I hated the draft was because it was not levied fairly - too many deferments and easy outs to suit most of us. I wasn't in school, not married, no kids and my Dad wasn't a big shot to get me a National Guard gig - so, I went.

I feel sheepish. I was in the Air Force for 4 years and while it could have been rough with certain assignments, it wasn't. I was in Boston for 4 years as a weapons systems cost analyst and I was never deployed. Closest thing to that was occassional TDY to DC/Crystal City for briefings on the National Missile Defense program. I compare that to the Army boots on the ground in Iraq/Afghanistan and I'm like yeah, that's service to thank someone for...

I was Army and feel the same way. 4 years from 2011-2015 where there was lots of deployments and I was in a non-deployable battalion where we solely tested weapons and new equipment. Easier just to say thanks thank explain the strange feeling of seeing other battalions on post go to Afghanistan or somewhere else multiple times during that four years.

Humbled.....I volunteered to do a job, that's all.

Embarrassed a little, I never had to pull a trigger other than on the range. Service is deployment in my book. I sent a lot of my brothers in arms on their way, was never able to join them.

Guilty, a little...….cause so many gave so much.

Honored…...to have worn the uniform.

SSG M. Zierath
US Army, 71D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT