ADVERTISEMENT

Who is ready to pay reparations

I’d love to know what percentage of our citizens - of all races, colors, and ethnicities - are descendants of people who came to America after the Civil War and have no connection to the enslavement of Africans.

It would be interesting to see if they feel as though they need to pay reparations to anyone.

I’d love to know what percentage of our citizens - of all races, colors, and ethnicities - are descendants of people who came to America after the Civil War and have no connection to the enslavement of Africans.

It would be interesting to see if they feel as though they need to pay reparations to anyone.
This factor is the one and only reason I kind of want the dumbasses to actually try it.

Do You know how pissed off the democratic base is going to be when they realize that only like 20% of them qualify for it and now the remainder are even further behind?

We all have a connection to slavery. And red lining. And blockbusting. And bathroom laws. And drinking fountains. And segregation. You're lying pretending this all ended in the 1860s.

What about the idea of a guy who forces everyone to listen to his favorite songs instead of answering questions? The same level of stupid? More? Less?
I don't know.... equal??

Is Trump playing music and reparations closely related and I'm just not aware of it?

You’re apparently missing the reference tk the trump rally where he stood on stage for 30-45 minutes while they just played music.

It was, well…weird.
No I get the reference I just don't understand how it relates to a reparations discussion. That's why I said equal because I don't know

No sorry man the whole idea of it is stupid.
40 years ago we paid reparations to the survivors of people who we’d sent to Japanese internment camps during WW2, causing them to lose their livelihoods, many of their private possessions, etc. so there’s some precedent.

If we were going to pay reparations to ex-slaves, it ought to have been done when they were still alive. Idk how you do it today that makes sense.

40 years ago we paid reparations to the survivors of people who we’d sent to Japanese internment camps during WW2, causing them to lose their livelihoods, many of their private possessions, etc. so there’s some precedent.

If we were going to pay reparations to ex-slaves, it ought to have been done when they were still alive. Idk how you do it today that makes sense.
we're not even really talking about "payments"...

the proposals and programs highlighted in that newsweek article are closer to programs that provide some kind of benefit - but not a cash payment. almost like affirmative action, but not even that far

its disingenuous to pretend that reparations in the form of payments are being seriously presented at any kind of scale (not saying you are)

We all have a connection to slavery. And red lining. And blockbusting. And bathroom laws. And drinking fountains. And segregation. You're lying pretending this all ended in the 1860s.
of course it didn't. Nor did the mistreatment of Irish, Italians, etc. People are tribal and want to live with like minded people. I would be ok with dividing the 40 acres and a mule up among the descendants of slaves, but that probably wouldn't satisfy most. Cost of 40 acres and truck today, divided by the number of descendants, won't make a big difference in our budget or anyone's life, but it will further divide the nation

Exactly. The point isn’t stupid at all, it’s stupid to not understand why (theoretically) we have an unpaid debt to Black Americans. We’re dealing with the effects of this stolen labor, and the literal and metaphorical rape of an entire set of people today.

That's kind of my point. As far as reparations go for slavery anything past probably 1899 just doesn't work and probably isn't even worth discussion anymore.

So how would it work?

Do you have to be full on black? Like, black black?

What if a black black just immigrated from Africa a couple years ago? Does he get it?

What if you are half or three quarter? Is that black enough or no?

What if you are a rich successful black? Even if black black? Should they get money????

This. The reparations paid to the Japanese American citizens who were the actual internees was justified.
They came back from the camps hoping to reclaim their homes and businesses and found out they were out of luck. Illegally seized and no hope of the law backing them up.
The reparations paid were overdue and justified.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yes, Christopher Hitchens (who goes WAY above your MAGAt intellectual level) was pandering for votes in his crushing of that argument. You're too dumb to realize what a nitwit you are.
Why should African Americans alive in 2024 be given money for lives lived by African Americans 200 years ago? What about blacks that lived 20, 50, 100 years ago? What about the whites who died or were maimed in the Civil War to stop slavery? What about whites whose ancestors weren't even in the country until recently or blacks who recently moved to the U.S.?

If reparations is ever implemented, it would destroy the fabric of America and cause nonrepairable relations between varying groups.

• Sad
Reactions: Tom Paris
Old lady forgets that black people weren't allowed to vote until the 1960s. Old lady forgets the GI Bill was tied to Jim Crow Laws so black men who fought for our country against fascism weren't given money for homes - to build wealth - or a college education like white men were, after WW2. Old lady doesn't understand how everything has been stacked against them, for basically centuries. It's much easier to be willfully ignorant.

Again, I am not for reparations, but I do understand that people in poverty and the middle class could benefit if the freaking top 1% didn't have the country rigged for them.

No I get the reference I just don't understand how it relates to a reparations discussion. That's why I said equal because I don't know
Because reparations are yet another distraction from Trump's non stop senior moments. Don shits himself and magically stuff like reparations pop up. Rs don't want everyone talking about him being lost in his own mind.

Why should African Americans alive in 2024 be given money for lives lived by African Americans 200 years ago? What about blacks that lived 20, 50, 100 years ago? What about the whites who died or were maimed in the Civil War to stop slavery? What about whites whose ancestors weren't even in the country until recently or blacks who recently moved to the U.S.?

If reparations is ever implemented, it would destroy the fabric of America and cause nonrepairable relations between varying groups.
You absolutely bring up valid reasons it might not be feasible. But the last sentence is pure hogwash. Just because some poor white people might get their precious feelings hurt over people getting paid for the labor they put in building this country, is not one of the valid arguments against.

Because reparations are yet another distraction from Trump's non stop senior moments. Don shits himself and magically stuff like reparations pop up. Rs don't want everyone talking about him being lost in his own mind.
Oh ya man makes total sense now, thank you for explaining your rationale to me.

You are beyond ignorant. You truly don't know the history of black America. Millions of people, who you vote with, don't think much differently than white Americans in any of those time frames you mentioned. Walk into rural towns all over the damn country and you'll see it. Just because blacks were given equal rights in the 1960s didn't mean that all whites accepted that. Some of you refuse to learn big picture and pigeon hole everything into these tiny little grievances.

Hell, a study was done a couple of years ago about black and white names on applications getting called back for job interviews. Overwhelmingly the white names got responses. Who would YOU call first, Marqueesha or Allison? Keyvonte or Jack? Which reminds me...what's your job? I didn't see your reply when I asked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT