• Labas

Votes: 100 35.1%
  • May

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Doesn't Matter/F**k Wisconsin

Votes: 31 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I get the sentiment but division vs crossover losses doesn't matter and never has. Iowa has 3 conference losses including one to the first place team in the west. I think a bigger F you would be continuing to change next to nothing and hope things get better.
You don't think last year's team is proud of winning the West and playing in the championship game? They most certainly are. And they would be very proud to do the same this year.

That's the quest of this team right now. You're either with them or against them. Labas or May right now just isn't happening.

You don't think the offense is trying to make changes? I can promise you they aren't trying to continue playing poorly. They are trying to make all the changes that come with playing and executing better

Last edited:
You don't think last year's team is proud of winning the West and playing in the championship game? They most certainly are. And they would be very proud to do the same this year.

That's the quest of this team right now. You're either with them or against them. Labas or May right now just isn't happening
They are not winning the West, they have 3 losses and lose the tiebreaker to Illinois, please stop with the Black and gold enabling rah rah crap, The Offense is broken and there needs to be major changes, The first is to get Labas reps for next Year because Padilla is not the long term answer the 2nd is to fire BF and bring in an OC who has total control of the Offense and the Offensive depth chart , the 3rd is to fire Barnett who has had 2 Years to destroy the Offensive line , Not a single Player has gotten better and most are worse than last Year. Lindy held that 2021 line together and kept it from being 2022 bad .

Since there's really nothing particularly meaningful left to play for...Ol' Doodle's in the camp of actually wanting to see Petras back in there. Absolutely nothing against him personally, it's just that the theater of the absurd this entire drama has become, and the almost endless supply of fabulous gallows humor it has generated, is by far the most entertaining part of the season. It'd be a crying shame to see America's favorite new soap opera, "Dysfunction Junction" come to a premature and unceremonious end.

Part of me wants this too. If Padilla wins out then there's a higher chance of Brian staying. But also, when someone makes a horrible mistake and stubbornly sticks with it despite everyone doing everything in their power to stop them, you start wanting that person to feel the full force of their failure. The fans and players don't deserve Petras, but the Ferentzes do.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Ferments with everything in his soul wants to show everyone who's boss and start Petras...HOWEVER, he will start Padilla for ONE reason on Saturday....he knows that there will be a reluctance...for good reason...for boos to reign down and make him and Meathead look bad.

Since there's really nothing particularly meaningful left to play for...Ol' Doodle's in the camp of actually wanting to see Petras back in there. Absolutely nothing against him personally, it's just that the theater of the absurd this entire drama has become, and the almost endless supply of fabulous gallows humor it has generated, is by far the most entertaining part of the season. It'd be a crying shame to see America's favorite new soap opera, "Dysfunction Junction" come to a premature and unceremonious end.
if the season ends with the country believing iowa has the best D and literally the worst O, the publicity just might perversely end up working in our favor. counterintuitively it might help bring in offensive talent.

Reactions: Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo

That's the quest of this team right now. You're either with them or against them. Labas or May right now just isn't happening.

You don't think the offense is trying to make changes? I can promise you they aren't trying to continue playing poorly. They are trying to make all the changes that come with playing and executing better
I didn't say anything about not being proud of last year. I merely stated that division record doesn't supercede total conference record. It's also last year and has no impact on this season's performance. Case in point the offense. I'm fairly certain the players are trying to improve but coaches don't seem to be putting them in any position to do so. Ease up on the them vs us mentality unless you're on the team/staff. In which case, wth are you doing in this cesspool?

Reactions: grayhair81

What changes is the offense trying to make? did you see any after the bye week?

this is the reality of the situation

• Angry
Reactions: Greenway4Prez

Has there been any attempt at all to improve things? what was done in the offseason or any offseason since Brian became OC?

All seem to agree on one thing: The offense is very bad.

IOWA OFFENSE'S NATIONAL RANKING20222017-22
Offensive Points per Game130th105th
Yards per Game131st127th
Yards per Play130th124th
Third Down Conversion Rate126th105th
Points per Possession131st103rd
Success Rate130th105th
Explosive Play Rate130th126th
Expected Points Added per Play131st108th

Unless the O line improves immediately and dramatically....it doesn't matter which QB on this roster is in the game. Let Padilla practice all week with the ones and let him start and play on Saturday. Let's see what he can do. I expect the result will appear slightly better since we are playing an absolutely terrible team. Many of you will then say "see...told you so....we should have played Padilla all year...and we'd be 7-1". Then....we face tougher competition the rest of the way....and the Padilla results will be very similar to the Petras results. Wake up people....the main problem with this offense is NOT the QB(s)! Horrifically terrible line...and WRs with very little talent. Result = QB has no chance to play solid football on a consistent basis. Blame Petras all you want. In a couple of weeks you'll all blame Alex. Next comes...I guess Labas. Same result....Dummies!
Absolutely agree that this O-line is a steaming pile of opossum dung, but that doesn't account for locking on to a receiver before breaking the huddle, playing 4-square and bouncing passes, hitting the open receiver who just got up from their seat in row-6 to go to the toilet, and stepping on a sheet of rodent sticky-traps every snap.
I've been saying it for weeks; the line sucks, Spencer sucks, and Brian sucks. Not a good recipe.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Who can make the line not look as bad as they are? Padilla (maybe Labas - who knows, but we know Padilla will move substantially better than SP and that alone is enough to justify AP getting the nod)

Note, this is asking who SHOULD start at QB to give us the best chance to win, not asking who will likely start at QB.

"best chance to win" limits the poll. Who is the best for long-term health of the program? Maybe Labas costs us the NW game if he plays, but ends up turning the offense around by end of the season....I'd go with Labas.

WE got a good look at Padillo last year...he's not the answer, but he's better than Petras. We need to know if Labas can make some plays with his legs...if he's really 4.6 speed then he needs some snaps. IF Carson May is the next Tom Brady, then he needs some snaps

IF all the other options besides Petras are really as bad as KF/BF seem to believe, then the entire QB room needs to be flushed. You still sit Petras though, because he obviously is a dead end.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Take this for what it is worth.

Just posted on Hawkeye Nation Football Forum:

“Chad Leistikow has a text group where people get scoops before they actually get published publicly.

Leistikow texted, “Based on what I’m hearing, I expect to see Petras as the starter this week. Coaches see a big gap between 1 and 2.”

Says he expects Kurt to announce it tomorrow instead of keeping it under his hat.”

Can this be true?!?
Wow, this would be ugly and abusive for Petras.

• Wow
Kirk is stubborn but he's not stupid. He's not going to throw a game to prevent fans from saying "I told you so."

He gets bonuses from winning games. He's not going to give up hundreds of thousands just to troll HR football board.
We have no chance of winning 8 games this year. KF will have to figure out how to get Christmas presents for the family without that extra $100,000 or whatever it is.

Yes, I firmly believe that KF is more interested in being right than he is in winning games at this point.

It doesn't matter if Padilla should have been given the same opportunities as Petras or not.
The point is that lack of reps and timing for a backup QB leaves him less prepared to put his best foot forward. This we all agree on. So why would you in this way hamper a team that's competitive but has zero margin for error?

Even if KF flat out got the QB starter wrong going into the season, none of that mattered all season. What mattered is team had a chance to win a lot of games, but didn't have the margin for error to overcome the inevitable timing issues that come with a backup QB on the field. Would have been the same situation if Padilla had been the starter all along and the offense had similar stuggles. The team wouldn't have been able to overcome the timing issues that would have come with putting in a Petras that had no practice reps.

The fumbled snap is exactly what I said could happen in previous posts. It doesn't matter if it was Padilla or Jones' fault. The point is there is a coordination that requires the rhythm from reps together that turn it into second nature. Fumbled snaps within the first few plays the backup QB enters are not at all uncommon. Sure, the false start was Stevens' fault. But the fact remains that false starts, delay of games, illegal procedures, and fumbled snaps become more frequent while a backup QB is in the game. Again, it's the rhythm attained through the 1's taking continuous reps together.

Sure Labas and May are probably better pure throwers than Petras and Padilla. And yes, making the throws helps execute a play as well as anything. But there is obviously more to it than that. It's the sequence of timing that leads to the throw and the coordinated reads with the receivers that is required to give the play a chance. Iowa's offense requires a lot of pre-snap decisions that require teammates to be familiar with the timing of the QB's cadence and snap count. Then you need the reps and game experience to make post-snap reads on the proper time-belt. Then there needs to be a rhythm with the receivers. Then there's a protection issue from a developing line that's greatly limiting the timing to execute plays. Then there are struggles at other offensive positions. So you can see the timing issues that would be next to impossible for this offense to overcome should Labas or May be on the field.

For much the same reasons, going to Padilla before they did would have been the wrong decision. From my limited perspective, halftime of the OSU game is the only point in the season I would have made the change. 3 turnovers, with a couple of them real bad, from the starting QB is unacceptable. Just like the team doesn't have margin for error to absorb the timing issues of a backup QB, it doesn't have the margin for error to overcome 3 turnovers from the starter. And at that point, zero margin for error wasn't really relevant to the situation. It wasn't like one fumbled snap or false start could be the difference in the game. Nonetheless, these are the plays that happened with Padilla under center. Missed throws, reads, and timing proved to be a problem for the backup QB.

It was proven that the offense has wide struggles that can't be answered by replacing one incomplete QB with another incomplete QB. Especially when the replacement/team don't have any repped rhythm together.

Some say this proves nothing because they predicted KF would throw Padilla to the OSU wolves to set him up for failure. KF pulled Petras because he had 3 bad turnovers in the first half. Not to set Padilla up for failure to try to prove the fans wrong. KF doesn't give a damn what fans on here are saying and you know it. Not to mention the theory in itself is ridiculous. Padilla is good enough to be the answer, but he had zero chance to succeed at OSU? It was a setup by the coaches because he was literally destined to fail? But he's somehow good enough to be the answer in every other situation? He can't have zero chance in one game and be the answer in every other game.

The real "I told you so" lays in the timing issues of a backup QB that I outlined and pretty much predicted to a tee, down to a fumbled snap. And lays in the fact not only is a backup QB not the answer, but that the offense as a whole is not good enough to withstand a backup QB and remain competitive.

I predicted exactly what happened. But I fully expect that what I have to say won't be listened to. You people don't even trust a coach who has given you 20+ years of success. Any solid football fan knows that coaches forever have avoided QB controversies like the plague. Do you think there might be reasons why most all the experts in the field of football (coaches) since the beginning of the game have feared playing or having the controversy of playing their backup QB? Yes, there are many reasons, but none of you care.

You may not know the game that well or understand everything that goes into coaches decisions. That's fine, you don't have to be a football nerd. But what's wrong with trusting/supporting a certain way of looking at the game that's in line with what the expert coaches actually think. To know that coaches view a QB controversy as poison to a team and then incessantly complain, call for the backup QB, and create a QB controversy is being a completely short-sighted, destructive, disrespectful, and reckless fan. Let this be a lesson, if you care at all about being a good fan for your team. You can see that Padilla isn't the clear-cut answer that he was proclaimed to be. And you can see that you were wrong to create and pile onto a QB controversy. It certainly hasn't helped anything.

To put it another way, simply, most fans don't know what they are talking about. Even those who have played and coached realize that they are under informed to speak accurately about exactly everything that's going on with the team. When watching a game on TV the sideline camera stays on the QB while he has the ball. Thus, most of the action between the receivers and Dbacks doesn't even fit on the screen. We don't see the routes. We don't see the coverages. We don't see who's open and who isn't. From the sideline camera it's also very difficult to decipher what's happening in the interior line play in real time. Even if our eyes are trained to see what's happening in the interior line, we don't know their blocking schemes/assignments on every play. We also don't always see when a running back has missed the hole from the sideline camera. Given the clarity of how little we actually know, why in the world would one take the drastic leap of adding onto a QB controversy and possibly dividing team? Why would one take the drastic leap of mindlessly joining someone's else misery and creating a completely toxic environment for your team to exist in on a day-to-day basis? Chill out people. Be conscientious about the energy you contribute to your community.

So here we are on Monday. Petras was pulled in the last game and we're wondering who starts Saturday. Again, without having been in the building every day, I can't say for sure. But I'll take a crack at handicapping it.
-If there's any truth that Padilla isn't fully invested and doesn't spend much extra time in the film room, the answer is easy. You can't have that guy leading your team.
-I'm not sure that it can be a week long open competition. I think more likely a starter needs to be in mind early in the week so he/the 1's can get the maximum amount of prep reps together.
-If the switch is made to Padilla the team will literally be starting over. Every bit of familiarity and timing that the 1's have been building upon with Petras will have been lost. Yes, the product hasn't been pretty. But again, the struggles exist across the offense. If Padilla were switched to, the struggles across the offense would remain. It would become a struggling offense with even less familiarity and timing with its QB.
-This leads to an important consideration that nobody is taking about. The starter needs to not only give the team the best chance to win now, he needs to be the player most likely to allow the team to continue to grow. I wouldn't put the future over the present. But if I did, I understand that playing the QB of the future wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for the team's future. The team needs to continue to grow now. I'm guessing that's most easily done by building upon the work that the 1's have put in together all season. It's not necessarily that Petras is that much better than Padilla. It's very much because the QB is the rhythmic conductor of the offense. An offense is able to function together because the timing of the game flows through its QB. I would think the growth of this offense will most easily come by building upon its established reps with Petras and continuing to compete for realistic goals in front of them.
-On the other hand, if Petras continues to play as he did against OSU, the offense will not be able to grow, and the team may lose its chance to win in the present. Has he lost his confidence? Was it just an extra bad day?
-Given protection issues from the line, does Padilla's mobility give the offense its best chance for success? Even if he can extend the play, can the receivers get open off script? It does seem a given that the added mobility of Padilla would at least escape more negative plays.
-Petras has the stronger arm. Again, the receivers aren't creating much separation for deeper throws to be made. But at least those plays are available and must be defended while he is under center.
-Padilla has the more accurate arm.
-Can a week of snaps with the 1's for Padilla give the team the best chance to win this week? Will that answer have changed based upon an extra bad half from Petras?
-What is the pulse of the locker room? Does the team seem to want one guy in there over the other?

All things considered, I'm guessing it's Petras. Whoever it is, I will rooting for him. Go Hawks!

Any answer that is not Labas with May as the Backup is not thinking the long term health of the Program .
This is incredibly out of touch. Nobody in that locker room gives a crap about the long term health of the program.

Anyone who has ever played a sport and had their opportunities passed over for the sake of the next class understands just how wronged they were. Especially the seniors. It's their team, it's not next year's team. They deserve the opportunity to win now.

This isn't a pro sport. The players care about now. The coach is under contract for a while and has recruits committed to come play in the future. The future is literally of zero consideration.

If the future did mean more than the present, playing Labas now still probably isn't the best thing for the future. His lack of experience combined with an offense that struggles as a whole, almost certainly would lead to pretty much zero success this season. The offense actually would become quite worse. It would literally be paralyzed with Labas out there and probably do very little for his development. More importantly, a paralyzed offense won't allow the rest of the players on offense to grow. Because the timing of the offense runs through the QB, they need the better rhythm that the experienced QBs can offer. A bad offense with zero rhythm and familiarity between the 1's, just wouldn't allow the offense to make the plays together to foster growth

• Haha
Reactions: Ignored
Imagine the added pressure on Fitz if he loses to lowly Iowa. His seat has to be getting a little warmer. They sucked bad last year and no sign of improvement on any side of the ball any time soon. And he has one of those new fangled offense schemes that are said to work every time.

Imagine the added pressure on Fitz if he loses to lowly Iowa. His seat has to be getting a little warmer. They sucked bad last year and no sign of improvement on any side of the ball any time soon. And he has one of those new fangled offense schemes that are said to work every time.
Vegas happens to have Iowa as a pretty large favorite

If Petras starts it won’t be pretty in Kinnick…The Ferentz Football Co. will be serenaded with boos

Reactions: not_mantiteo
It shouldn't be Petras or Padila. Neither one gives the offense anything more than the other. Both of their negatives out way their positives.
It should be one of the under classmen.
That's why I went with the smartass answer.
My only issue with this is that Padilla, while never setting the world on fire either, was #2 all season and then the only chance he gets is the second half, already way down to an elite OSU team that was going to be teeing off.

There’s no reason to play Petras anymore. Most of the hate he gets isn’t even his fault - he’s just not good enough and defects in other areas of Iowa’s offense also shine a bright light on all the things he doesn’t do well.…but him playing isn’t his fault, I have no doubt that he’s been out there giving his A effort. Playing him anymore just isn’t fair to the program and it’s not even fair to him.

I’m fine with giving Padilla the Northwestern game and then rolling from there. If he’s not great, then yes, start mixing in the younger guys. If he’s terrible, then go to one of the younger guys because at that point, the season is completely lost.

My other reason for Padilla next is that if the OL continues to be this bad and we can’t get receivers open or roll the QB to a point where throws can be made, you’re just taking one or both of the young QBs and throwing them to the wolves so that they can get all that junk in their heads too.

How much rhythm did the Patriots get tonight playing two QB's? Couldn't have been much, they got spanked by the Bears.

Not surprisingly, there was a fumbled hand-off involving the backup QB that lead to a turnover. We're talking the most prepared coach, that's had the best executing teams of all-time, in Belichick, that can't escape the timing issues of a backup QB. And that's with professionals on the field trying to help the backup get the job done.

These timing issues for the backup QB are very predictable and not at all a new phenomenon to the game of football. Yet "ignorant fan" chants for the backup QB to get in the game. Why not? Much of the Patriots stadium was chanting for the backup tonight. Well, they got what they asked for.

Hawkeye fans were wrong to create a QB controversy. It was very unfair to the team

Hawkeye fans were wrong to create a QB controversy. It was very unfair to the team
So, you say that Hawkeye fans who were suggesting that, instead of the worst QB in the country, maybe play a backup with experience and a history of winning games (3-0 as starter) and clearly better mobility behind an underperforming OL, “created a controversy unfair to the team “?

JFC

Leistikow texted, “Based on what I’m hearing, I expect to see Petras as the starter this week. Coaches see a big gap between 1 and 2.”

Says he expects Kurt to announce it tomorrow instead of keeping it under his hat.”

Can this be true?!?

The only big gap is between Brian's ears. Petras got benched in last year's Northwestern game after throwing the ball in the dirt 8 times, and prior to that posting back-to-back single-digit outputs. History could literally repeat itself.

Timing? Loss of rhythm? Might I point to the NW game just last season when Padilla was inserted mid-game and the offense displayed none of the issues alluded to above? Crap happens and AP was playing Ohio State last week. I predict we'll not have seen the best out of him yet this year, IF KF does the right thing and continues to give him playing time.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
How much rhythm did the Patriots get tonight playing two QB's? Couldn't have been much, they got spanked by the Bears.

Not surprisingly, there was a fumbled hand-off involving the backup QB that lead to a turnover. We're talking the most prepared coach, that's had the best executing teams of all-time, in Belichick, that can't escape the timing issues of a backup QB. And that's with professionals on the field trying to help the backup get the job done.

These timing issues for the backup QB are very predictable and not at all a new phenomenon to the game of football. Yet "ignorant fan" chants for the backup QB to get in the game. Why not? Much of the Patriots stadium was chanting for the backup tonight. Well, they got what they asked for.

this take is as bad as Iowa's offense.

LOL…yeah because Hawkeye fans created it…I suppose everyone should have clapped and cheered while we continued to trot out the worst QB in college football? “it’s ok you threw a pick six….we don’t want to hurt the other teams feelings!!” “Don’t worry about it Brian….no reason to play another QB up 28 in a six hour rain delay….we trust your judgement!!!”

You people are absolutely unbelievable. You throw a fit all season long for the backup QB. He gets in and can't even execute a snap, which is quite common when a backup first gets in, and was completely predictable to me all along. Now you want to throw in the underclassman who has never played.

THIS IS VERY SIMPLE. EVERY PERSON IN THAT LOCKER ROOM BELIEVES THEY CAN WIN THE WEST. Seriously, this isn't hard to understand. You look at the standings, you see Iowa with one divisional loss, and you fight for what's in front of you. Going to a rookie at QB right now would be a huge "F you" to everyone in that building. Got it?

Not to mention closing the season with three trophy games. KF's record in rivalry games is absolutely special. Having so many rivalry games is part of what makes Iowa football. It's football in the heartland. 7 in a row vs Minnesota is special. 7 in row vs Nebraska is special. You don't think these players want to fight for those steaks? 6 in a row vs ISU was special. All games vs Wisconsin are huge. You don't think those games are important to the players and people from those boarder towns and you're kidding yourself

I noticed you didn't peovide a name of who you think should be out there. Who do you think it should be?

You people are absolutely unbelievable. You throw a fit all season long for the backup QB. He gets in and can't even execute a snap, which is quite common when a backup first gets in, and was completely predictable to me all along. Now you want to throw in the underclassman who has never played.

THIS IS VERY SIMPLE. EVERY PERSON IN THAT LOCKER ROOM BELIEVES THEY CAN WIN THE WEST. Seriously, this isn't hard to understand. You look at the standings, you see Iowa with one divisional loss, and you fight for what's in front of you. Going to a rookie at QB right now would be a huge "F you" to everyone in that building. Got it?

Not to mention closing the season with three trophy games. KF's record in rivalry games is absolutely special. Having so many rivalry games is part of what makes Iowa football. It's football in the heartland. 7 in a row vs Minnesota is special. 7 in row vs Nebraska is special. You don't think these players want to fight for those steaks? 6 in a row vs ISU was special. All games vs Wisconsin are huge. You don't think those games are important to the players and people from those boarder towns and you're kidding yourselfwhen

While you are providing who you think it should be I would also encourage you to consider how many people were vocal about getting the backups snaps prior to playing Ohio state.
The staff created and owns this debacle.

They are not winning the West, they have 3 losses and lose the tiebreaker to Illinois, please stop with the Black and gold enabling rah rah crap, The Offense is broken and there needs to be major changes, The first is to get Labas reps for next Year because Padilla is not the long term answer the 2nd is to fire BF and bring in an OC who has total control of the Offense and the Offensive depth chart , the 3rd is to fire Barnett who has had 2 Years to destroy the Offensive line , Not a single Player has gotten better and most are worse than last Year. Lindy held that 2021 line together and kept it from being 2022 bad .

they are technically still alive for the West, but they have to win out and get help. Illinois for example still plays Purdue and @ Michigan. Still plenty to play for this season.
It doesn't matter if Padilla should have been given the same opportunities as Petras or not.
The point is that lack of reps and timing for a backup QB leaves him less prepared to put his best foot forward. This we all agree on. So why would you in this way hamper a team that's competitive but has zero margin for error?

Even if KF flat out got the QB starter wrong going into the season, none of that mattered all season. What mattered is team had a chance to win a lot of games, but didn't have the margin for error to overcome the inevitable timing issues that come with a backup QB on the field. Would have been the same situation if Padilla had been the starter all along and the offense had similar stuggles. The team wouldn't have been able to overcome the timing issues that would have come with putting in a Petras that had no practice reps.

The fumbled snap is exactly what I said could happen in previous posts. It doesn't matter if it was Padilla or Jones' fault. The point is there is a coordination that requires the rhythm from reps together that turn it into second nature. Fumbled snaps within the first few plays the backup QB enters are not at all uncommon. Sure, the false start was Stevens' fault. But the fact remains that false starts, delay of games, illegal procedures, and fumbled snaps become more frequent while a backup QB is in the game. Again, it's the rhythm attained through the 1's taking continuous reps together.

Sure Labas and May are probably better pure throwers than Petras and Padilla. And yes, making the throws helps execute a play as well as anything. But there is obviously more to it than that. It's the sequence of timing that leads to the throw and the coordinated reads with the receivers that is required to give the play a chance. Iowa's offense requires a lot of pre-snap decisions that require teammates to be familiar with the timing of the QB's cadence and snap count. Then you need the reps and game experience to make post-snap reads on the proper time-belt. Then there needs to be a rhythm with the receivers. Then there's a protection issue from a developing line that's greatly limiting the timing to execute plays. Then there are struggles at other offensive positions. So you can see the timing issues that would be next to impossible for this offense to overcome should Labas or May be on the field.

For much the same reasons, going to Padilla before they did would have been the wrong decision. From my limited perspective, halftime of the OSU game is the only point in the season I would have made the change. 3 turnovers, with a couple of them real bad, from the starting QB is unacceptable. Just like the team doesn't have margin for error to absorb the timing issues of a backup QB, it doesn't have the margin for error to overcome 3 turnovers from the starter. And at that point, zero margin for error wasn't really relevant to the situation. It wasn't like one fumbled snap or false start could be the difference in the game. Nonetheless, these are the plays that happened with Padilla under center. Missed throws, reads, and timing proved to be a problem for the backup QB.
I have to disagree with your statement that going to Padilla at halftime of the OSU was the best time to do it. There were two better opportunities to do so imo - vs Nevada or during the bye,

against Nevada you have the opportunity to break in Padilla with a week of reps with the 1s before a bad Nevada squad and then on the road vs a decent but not great Rutgers team prior to the Michigan game. Or you do it after the Illinois game, and take advantage of the bye to give him two weeks of practice to work on that timing before the OSU game.

doing that at halftime of the OSU game was the worst possible moment imo, and set Padilla up to fail.

Reactions: iahawks10

Please remember the rules that all big 10 wins and losses count toward a division title. If Iowa had beat Mich then Mich would still have one loss in their standings and be a game behind OSU.

So right now Iowa has 3 losses and Illinois has 1 loss so Iowa is 2 losses behind Illinois but since Illinois beat Iowa and have the head to head advantage then Illinois basically has a 3 game lead on Iowa in the standings. Iowa would have to win 4 more games than Illinois just to pass Illinois. With only 5 games to go the hawks would have to win out while Illinois goes 1-4. I doubt that happens but it could.

The hawks have to win out because another loss puts them farther down in the loss column and gives the team that beat them the head to head advantage of a game.

It is simple so right now I think the hawks' first goal is to win two games and go to a bowl and then to win 4 or 5 games and play like a complete team with even a below avg to average offense.

My only issue with this is that Padilla, while never setting the world on fire either, was #2 all season and then the only chance he gets is the second half, already way down to an elite OSU team that was going to be teeing off.

There’s no reason to play Petras anymore. Most of the hate he gets isn’t even his fault - he’s just not good enough and defects in other areas of Iowa’s offense also shine a bright light on all the things he doesn’t do well.…but him playing isn’t his fault, I have no doubt that he’s been out there giving his A effort. Playing him anymore just isn’t fair to the program and it’s not even fair to him.

I’m fine with giving Padilla the Northwestern game and then rolling from there. If he’s not great, then yes, start mixing in the younger guys. If he’s terrible, then go to one of the younger guys because at that point, the season is completely lost.

My other reason for Padilla next is that if the OL continues to be this bad and we can’t get receivers open or roll the QB to a point where throws can be made, you’re just taking one or both of the young QBs and throwing them to the wolves so that they can get all that junk in their heads too.
The young QB's need to prove they can beat being thrown to the wolves, whether this year or next . If the QB can't take the mental aspect of it, then they aren't going to make it ny way.

The young QB's need to prove they can beat being thrown to the wolves, whether this year or next . If the QB can't take the mental aspect of it, then they aren't going to make it ny way.
Depends on how bad it is. I have no interest in leading a QB into habits of happy feet and feeling ghosts in the pocket. That said, though, the best defenses are behind us now, so I’m all for these guys getting some run.

This is incredibly out of touch. Nobody in that locker room gives a crap about the long term health of the program.

Anyone who has ever played a sport and had their opportunities passed over for the sake of the next class understands just how wronged they were. Especially the seniors. It's their team, it's not next year's team. They deserve the opportunity to win now.

This isn't a pro sport. The players care about now. The coach is under contract for a while and has recruits committed to come play in the future. The future is literally of zero consideration.

If the future did mean more than the present, playing Labas now still probably isn't the best thing for the future. His lack of experience combined with an offense that struggles as a whole, almost certainly would lead to pretty much zero success this season. The offense actually would become quite worse. It would literally be paralyzed with Labas out there and probably do very little for his development. More importantly, a paralyzed offense won't allow the rest of the players on offense to grow. Because the timing of the offense runs through the QB, they need the better rhythm that the experienced QBs can offer. A bad offense with zero rhythm and familiarity between the 1's, just wouldn't allow the offense to make the plays together to foster growth
Senority on a Roster means nothing, performance does and the upperclassmen You think get privelege based on time of tenure have not produced, go back to Your Union meeting .

LOLOLOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT