ADVERTISEMENT

Who should we be rooting against?

El Simbolo

HB Heisman
Mar 6, 2002
The current consensus is that Iowa is a 7 seed. So here's who we should be cheering against in order to possibly improve that seed, but at least stay above the dreaded 8-9 game, correct?

West Virginia
UNC
Utah
Georgetown
Arkansas
Butler
SMU
Providence
Mich St
SD St
VCU
St Johns
Ohio St
Cincinnati
Oregon
Xavier
Dayton
NC St
LSU
Okie St
CSU
Davidson
UGA

Anyone lower than this I don't think is a threat to pass us, and I don't think we could pass anyone above WVU or UNC

I'm not saying we absolutely need any of these teams "below us" to lose, but it would nice if none of them get big wins, like NC St has a chance to do against Duke tomorrow.

Also, unless we beat them we definitely want Wisconsin as a 1-seed because that eliminates us from consideration for 25% of the available 8-9 seeds. Just in case they viewed us as a 7, but felt they had to shift some 7s and 8s in order to balance the bracket.

Originally posted by El Simbolo:
The current consensus is that Iowa is a 7 seed. So here's who we should be cheering against in order to possibly improve that seed, but at least stay above the dreaded 8-9 game, correct?

West Virginia
UNC
Utah
Georgetown
Arkansas
Butler
SMU
Providence
Mich St
SD St
VCU
St Johns
Ohio St
Cincinnati
Oregon
Xavier
Dayton
NC St
LSU
Okie St
CSU
Davidson
UGA

Anyone lower than this I don't think is a threat to pass us, and I don't think we could pass anyone above WVU or UNC
No problem on this one.

Also, SDSU's season is over and they have no shot at an at-large invitation.

West Virginia has a tough match against Baylor and I think they lose their first matchup of the tourney. Problem is that it wont be a bad loss at all and probably wont hurt them much.

I dont know if UNC is someone to root against or not. Would their success in the tourney help Iowa's resume bc of our win against them or are they close enough to the hawks that we are competing for seeds?

Penn State. On Friday Purdue. On Saturday Wisconsin. On Sunday whoever we play. That's it.

We're still holding at a 7-seed in the bracketmatrix.com (but I don't know if all the predictions they reference are updated since yesterday or not)

With our loss yesterday eliminating our chances of moving up the focus is more on not getting passed up by the teams behind us and maybe having some fellow 7-seeds fall below us. So here's my revised list of who to root against this weekend:

Arkansas
SMU
Providence
SD St vs CSU? (can we move above SD St if they lose, but would CSU then pass us?)
VCU
Ohio St? (or at least winner of MSU-OSU to lose to Maryland)
Cincinnati
Oregon
Xavier
Dayton
LSU
Davidson
UGA
Indiana
Purdue

Agree or disagree? What's your take on MSU-OSU and SD St - CSU?

Originally posted by wyohawk:
Iowa St.

Always and forever.
Absolutely!
smile.r191677.gif

I honestly don't think it really matters much. To have this huge list of teams around the same seed area as us and root against them all is simply an effort in futility.

So, I will go with the Iowa State answer the most.

That will continue until their eventual loss well before the final four in the NCAA tournament.

Disagree with above- Xavier definitely matters. Currently #8 seed and playing Georgetown tonight. Their RPI is much higher than ours and will go higher if they win and possibly play Villanova.

Root against:

Michigan (already lost)
Purdue
Virginia
Norfolk State
Michigan State
Oklahoma

LOL I agree it is gonna be tough to root for the Cyclones. Probably still won't cheer for them but it could help our RPI.

58962159.jpg

According to ESPN analysts- Xavier wins tonight and they will likely move up to a 7 regardless of result in championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT