ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the 4th playoff team? (Assuming LSU/ OSU/ Clemson are locks)

Bama - it was 46-41 for chrissakes. I am a Big 10/midwest homer but no one else should be in the conversation unless Georgia wins out and beats LSU in the SEC championship game. If that is the case margin of victory will determine whether the 4th team is Bama or LSU.
Right now, who is Bama's best win? Why does Bama and their #54 SoS get a pass?

What happens if Georgia runs the table, beating undefeated LSU in a the seccg? Clemson & OSU go undefeated, they're in. Georgia would be in. Who gets the 4th spot then? LSU, Bama, or someone else?

Bama - it was 46-41 for chrissakes. I am a Big 10/midwest homer but no one else should be in the conversation unless Georgia wins out and beats LSU in the SEC championship game. If that is the case margin of victory will determine whether the 4th team is Bama or LSU.

In that case, how do you really make a case for Bama over LSU, when LSU won head to head, AT Bama?

Right now, who is Bama's best win? Why does Bama and their #54 SoS get a pass?
Let me count the ways:
  1. They've housed everyone they've played except #1 LSU, to which they played a 46-41 game.
  2. Their QB is a heisman candidate, and they have blistering speed at wide out.
  3. Relatedly, they have a highest weighted 4-year recruiting average (https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...llege-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class)
  4. They have one of the best if not the best coaching staffs in the country.
  5. History is on their side in that they have played liked they belonged in the college playoffs (last year's championship game notwithstanding)
Other than that, they don't have much going for them.

If Minnesota goes 12-0 in the regular season and loses to OSU by 1 in the B1G Championship how can they hold them out?

giphy.gif

In that case, how do you really make a case for Bama over LSU, when LSU won head to head, AT Bama?
That's why I said it comes down to margin of victory. If GA houses LSU, then people will think LSU has taken a step back in the weeks since the game was played, especially if Bama takes it to Auburn. If it is a close game, they might give the nod to LSU.

I don't think LSU will make it if GA runs the table so since you chose the top 3 for me, i'll go with Alabama running the table and getting the courtesy pick.

That's why I said it comes down to margin of victory. If GA houses LSU, then people will think LSU has taken a step back in the weeks since the game was played, especially if Bama takes it to Auburn. If it is a close game, they might give the nod to LSU.

Victories over Bama (at Bama), Auburn, UF and Texas....with a blowout loss to UGA (in Atlanta), still trumps an Alabama blowout over Auburn (away), IMO.

Still much football left to be played.

What happens if Georgia runs the table, beating undefeated LSU in a the seccg? Clemson & OSU go undefeated, they're in. Georgia would be in. Who gets the 4th spot then? LSU, Bama, or someone else?
My thoughts are Georgia would be sole SEC rep unless the one loss Big 12 and Pac 12 teams also go down. So if Oregon/Utah and Oklahoma keep winning and win their championship game, no way a LSU losing last Saturday or a Bama not even playing last Saturday jumps over Oregon and Oklahoma conference champs, especially with the SEC already represented by UGA. Of course, then the debate is who do you pick PAC 12 or BIG 12 champ to be in the last spot.

Victories over Bama (at Bama), Auburn, UF and Texas....with a blowout loss to UGA (in Atlanta), still trumps an Alabama blowout over Auburn (away), IMO.

Still much football left to be played.
Maybe. I'll believe it when I see it.

With a 4-team format, somebody's always going to get screwed. Minny didn't help themselves with OOC scheduling.

Let me count the ways:
  1. They've housed everyone they've played except #1 LSU, to which they played a 46-41 game.
  3. Relatedly, they have a highest weighted 4-year recruiting average (https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...llege-football-recruiting-rankings-2019-class)
  5. History is on their side in that they have played liked they belonged in the college playoffs (last year's championship game notwithstanding)
The playoffs are not a lifetime achievement award. It's a reflection of the play for that particular year. Bama has zero top 25 wins. Their best win right now would be 6-3 aTm. Otherwise in conference they've beaten 4-6 South Carolina, 4-6 Ole Miss, 5-5 Tenn and 2-8 Arkansas. Their OOC opponents have been Duke, New Mexico State and Southern Mississippi. They don't deserve the love being thrown their way.

The playoffs are not a lifetime achievement award. It's a reflection of the play for that particular year. Bama has zero top 25 wins. Their best win right now would be 6-3 aTm. Otherwise in conference they've beaten 4-6 South Carolina, 4-6 Ole Miss, 5-5 Tenn and 2-8 Arkansas. Their OOC opponents have been Duke, New Mexico State and Southern Mississippi. They don't deserve the love being thrown their way.
tenor.gif

Let me count the ways:
Their best win is a loss. They should not be in.

To quote the great American Dennis Green,

"If you want to crown them, crown their ass!"
And to be clear I am not a Bama fan, or a fan of any of you effs in the south. I am a Hawkeye homer first and foremost. Then my loyalties go to the Big 10. After that I will loosely root for various teams from the midwest, other than Notre Dame and Iowa State. With that said Minny does not belong in the conversation I mean Jesus, look at who they've played. Oregon lost to Auburn, who isn't that great, and almost lost to Washington, who isn't that great. Utah got their ass pounded by Washington. Penn State just lost to Minny and the hawkeyes could have beaten them. Oklahoma lost to KSU and should have lost to ISU. Florida? Nope. Baylor? they are the Minnesota of the B12. Auburn? Nope. And on it goes.

Because they're only getting the benefit of being Alabama. They had their shot to take down LSU. Especially if LSU gets into the playoff. Like I said earlier, if their best win right now is a loss, then no.

Who should be then? Sorry if I missed the case you made for a more deserving team.
If Minnesota or Baylor win out they should go in over Alabama.

Also, no one in the country gets the benefit Alabama has. Alabama takes an L, doesn't even play in their conference championship game and still gets in. So then LSU has to beat Alabama twice to win the National championship. If Alabama had won, LSU wouldn't be in the talks to make the CFP, so Alabama only has to win once because they're Alabama.

F*** em. They had their shot.

Because they're only getting the benefit of being Alabama. They had their shot to take down LSU. Especially if LSU gets into the playoff. Like I said earlier, if their best win right now is a loss, then no.

If Minnesota or Baylor win out they should go in over Alabama.
If Baylor wins out, no. By your analysis they will not have beaten anyone of a playoff caliber. If Minnesota wins out, that means they will have beaten Iowa, which should indeed qualify them for the playoffs on that basis alone. If they follow that up with wins over Wisky and tO$U, they would certainly bolster their case. But they will lose to Iowa this weekend and for sure against OSU.

With a 4-team format, somebody's always going to get screwed. Minny didn't help themselves with OOC scheduling.
Neither did Alabama, but people say Alabama should get in even though they have an L right now and Minnesota does not. Duke, New Mexico State, and Western Carolina.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
If Oregon wins out then they deserve to be in over Bama. Their only loss was in the closing seconds in the season opener against Auburn. Winning the Pac-12 with a 12-1 record should count for more than finishing second in the SEC West.

Reactions: millah_22
If Oregon wins out then they deserve to be in over Bama. Their only loss was in the closing seconds in the season opener against Auburn. Winning the Pac-12 with a 12-1 record should count for more than finishing second in the SEC West.
Auburn will finish maybe be 3rd in said western division. The pac12 is dog crap this year.

This whole system blows. This “eye-ball test” beauty pageant sh*t is garbage. Why do we even play the games. Just assign the best 4 teams on paper a spot in the playoffs and screw the regular season. It shouldn’t be the 4 “best” teams, it should be the 4 most deserving teams based on resume. I f*cking hate Minnesota but they should absolutely be #4 right now.

It's going to be Minnesota. They're going to win out, win the Big Ten championship, beat Clemson in the semis, and then beat LSU in the finals. They will never lose again, PJ Fleck will become president of the United States, the national anthem will be amended to include the phrase "row the boat", head hair will be outlawed, and we're all going to die in a giant flood.

If Minnesota goes 12-0 in the regular season and loses to OSU by 1 in the B1G Championship how can they hold them out?

If both keep winning, then the B1G Championship is essentially a College Football Playoff play-in game, like Iowa vs. Michigan State was. As should Oregon-Utah if the winner doesn’t lose any more.

Alabama should not. Time to start hitting team that schedule out of conference trash.
Why?
Their schedule overall it pretty damn salty.
It is no worse than the vast majority of D-1 teams...and a damn sight better than most year in and year out.
The season is 12 weeks long, plus “play-offs”.....Pretty much, the best 4 teams will qualify themselves by season’s end.
Non-conference schedules are really overrated as far as the final 4 team selections are concerned, in my opinion.

Why?

It is not. Outside of LSU (which they last...at home) they have not played a team that is currently in the top-25. If Auburn loses to UGA and Bama, they may not be ranked, either. Only playing one top-25 team in 12 games is not normal for a power-5 school. But it can happen if you have a shitty OOC schedule, which Bama clearly has.

They have no resume.

But there is still a lot of football left to be played. It's way too early for people to freak out.

It is not. Outside of LSU (which they last...at home) they have not played a team that is currently in the top-25. If Auburn loses to UGA and Bama, they may not be ranked, either. Only playing one top-25 team in 12 games is not normal for a power-5 school. But it can happen if you have a shitty OOC schedule, which Bama clearly has.

They have no resume.

But there is still a lot of football left to be played. It's way too early for people to freak out.
In that scenario, how bad would Oregon’s loss to auburn look? And yet, there is clamoring for Oregon?

They have no resume.

If they don’t win the SEC Championship this year, they ain’t making it. It’s not their fault their conference opponents are below par this year. Generally speaking, Power 5 teams will play several solid teams annually...I really don’t blame them for not loading up their schedules with top flight intersectional games. Maybe once every 4-5 years......

Why?
It is no worse than the vast majority of D-1 teams...and a damn sight better than most year in and year out.
The season is 12 weeks long, plus “play-offs”.....Pretty much, the best 4 teams will qualify themselves by season’s end.
Non-conference schedules are really overrated as far as the final 4 team selections are concerned, in my opinion.
This is the salty 54th ranked schedule.

If they don’t win the SEC Championship this year, they ain’t making it. It’s not their fault their conference opponents are below par this year. Generally speaking, Power 5 teams will play several solid teams annually...I really don’t blame them for not loading up their schedules with top flight intersectional games. Maybe once every 4-5 years......
Yes they will. The committee pretty much set it up for them to get the #4 spot without them even qualifying for their conference Championship game much less winning it.

If Georgia loses at Auburn or in the SEC Championship game, Bama will slide up from 5th to 4th. Had the committee dropped them to the 7-8 range, that scenario would not be as feasible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT