ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't we get athletic players?

IAHawkGrad2000

Team MVP
Jan 12, 2014
Watching the tournament, I see all these fast/super athletic players at every position going to piddly-ass small schools and it frustrates me we hardly ever get ONE player like that, much less a whole team. Why is that? Is it a Fran thing (doesn't want/can't recruit) or simply an Iowa thing (education requirements/NIU/location in the country/etc)?

Watching the tournament, I see all these fast/super athletic players at every position going to piddly-ass small schools and it frustrates me we hardly ever get ONE player like that, much less a whole team. Why is that? Is it a Fran thing (doesn't want/can't recruit) or simply an Iowa thing (education requirements/NIU/location in the country/etc)?
We can.

Isu has had many many quality athletic guards spanning 5 or 6 coaches.

Just takes the right recruiter with the right connections whos willing to go find them.

I don't think Frans even looking, he has a different set of priorities.

I don't think Frans even looking, he has a different set of priorities.
Oh cmon. It's fine to say that Fran can't close on great recruits. He's usually in on great athletes early, but loses the race when good recruiters at good programs swoop in.

Fran's certainly not a closer. But to say he he's not even looking for athletic recruits is a completely lazy take.

Even though Iowa lacks the quickness and agility of other teams, you can make up for that somewhat with perimeter shooting and smart help defense. I just don't think Fran is smart enough to teach or focus on the kinds of strategies that will bring his recruits tourney success.

• Haha
Reactions: chaneccooms
Most of our recruits look better suited to be on a swim team. We started 5 white dudes recently. That hasn’t happened since the 50’s!!! And people wonder why we are perennial garbage! WE LOOK MORE LIKE A YMCA D LEAGUE TEAM EVERY DAMN YEAR!!

Most of our recruits look better suited to be on a swim team. We started 5 white dudes recently. That hasn’t happened since the 50’s!!! And people wonder why we are perennial garbage! WE LOOK MORE LIKE A YMCA D LEAGUE TEAM EVERY DAMN YEAR!!
Are you counting the Murrys since They're half white, because one of them has been starting for the last two years. Perkins or Ulis has been starting the last 1 1/2 so when exactly is "recently"?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I did not realize Kris Murray, Tony P and Ahron Ulis did not start recently....3 of 5 players.... Derp

Do university entrant requirements have any impact on who they recruit? I don't know what the requirements are for the university.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Fran loves long skinny white guys
And several of them have been All B1G or All Americans. So watching the great freshman season that Filipowski had, did we not want him either. Any of you guys watch Duke play much? They usually are mostly white also. Like to have Jack Nunge back this year, because he would have been a difference maker.
Not putting this all on you QC, but we really need to get off this white/ black thing.....Iowa's roster is 8 white players and 7 black players.

Oh cmon. It's fine to say that Fran can't close on great recruits. He's usually in on great athletes early, but loses the race when good recruiters at good programs swoop in.

Fran's certainly not a closer. But to say he he's not even looking for athletic recruits is a completely lazy take.
Ok, I'll grant you he does identify some really good guys early who end up being high end recruits who are good on both ends. Those guys aren't ending up at Iowa.

My point was when it comes to guys he can actually get he usually has to choose between athletic guys who play defense and attack the basket but aren't great on offense or guys that suck on defense and can't attack the basket but can shoot and take care of the ball, he always takes the shooters.

He'd rather offer a Jordan Bohannon than a Wes Washpun.

Frans not looking for undersized athletic guys that end up at mid majors he's looking for long tall guys who can shoot.

Go look at that princeton team
They are playing a team that is one of the worst teams in the country in 3 point defense.
Most teams doing well in this tourney are stronger defensively. Vols, San Diego State, most Big 12 teams.
FDU was a bunch of attack dogs.

It's not who is playing, it's can they play defense

Tony is pretty athletic, but has average handles and the shooting motion of a 5th grader. He also stumbled and tripped the Auburn PG who had made 34 straight free throws with the game on the line. Payton is basically a discount weiskamp. Definitely lacks lateral quickness quickness and hops, good shooter and rebounder though.

Tony is pretty athletic, but has average handles and the shooting motion of a 5th grader. He also stumbled and tripped the Auburn PG who had made 34 straight free throws with the game on the line. Payton is basically a discount weiskamp. Definitely lacks lateral quickness quickness and hops, good shooter and rebounder though.
Is Payton athletic?

Those of you that think race indicates quality of a basketball player are ignorant.

If you give me 5 white guys and 5 black guys and ask me to pick a Bball team with no knowledge of the players other than their race, I am going to pick the 5 black players. Why? Because black players dominate Bball rosters.

But that is not how anyone recruits. One does not recruit blind to all other factors about a player.

We don’t need more black players. We need more good players.

Okey Ukah was not as good as Aaron White.

Some white guy also dominated the NCAA championship game a few years ago. Divincenzo? Literally blocked two black guys above the rim and put up 30. But I get it, there are far more black guys doing that than whites.

They are playing a team that is one of the worst teams in the country in 3 point defense.
Most teams doing well in this tourney are stronger defensively. Vols, San Diego State, most Big 12 teams.
FDU was a bunch of attack dogs.

It's not who is playing, it's can they play defense
Purdue had players wide open because the defense concentrated on Edey, but couldn't hit. I And I will say this--defense is great but often it is given credit for guys who are simply having a cooooold night shooting. It's also can they hit the basket.

I can see the difference.

Do you think Tony Perkins is athletic?

Do you think Payton Sandfort is athletic?
Personally I don’t think Perkins is what I consider super athletic (not compared to power 5 guards). He’s a power leaper and really not that fluid. There are plenty of guys who are “in line” powerful but laterally poor, he is one.
Yeah if you measured his vertical, it’s good, but he’s not much with the ball in his hands. It’s the reason why he’s more miss than hit.

And several of them have been All B1G or All Americans. So watching the great freshman season that Filipowski had, did we not want him either. Any of you guys watch Duke play much? They usually are mostly white also. Like to have Jack Nunge back this year, because he would have been a difference maker.
Not putting this all on you QC, but we really need to get off this white/ black thing.....Iowa's roster is 8 white players and 7 black players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT