ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people continue to doubt a football season....

haw-key

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2011
When MLB and MLS have been able to play so far?

why can’t the NCAA do it? Aside from the fact that football has more rostered players exposing them to risk. On the other hand a large roster gives more available players for roster spots.

Because positive tests have been set as the standard when the standard should be symptomatic vs. asymptomatic and/or hospitalizations. When the standard is positive tests, and it is impossible to prevent every player from getting the virus, people doubt having a season.

Because positive tests have been set as the standard when the standard should be symptomatic vs. asymptomatic and/or hospitalizations. When the standard is positive tests, and it is impossible to prevent every player from getting the virus, people doubt having a season.
This.
Tom has made this same point as well. If we have to quarantine anybody that had contact with a person that tests positive (even if everyone in question is asymptotic), then it becomes logistically almost impossible to have a season. Unless college football changes the way they are handling this, it’s going to be really hard. I think it would make a lot more sense to only quarantine the person that tested positive. Or at a minimum at least just test everyone else and as long as they test negative let them play.

The other thing that is going to be harder about college sports is very few kids that age are going to be good about social distancing. In the pro leagues obviously there have been notable examples of athletes not following the social distancing guidelines either. But compliance will likely be much worse among college kids which raises the odds of outbreaks.

why can’t the NCAA do it? Aside from the fact that football has more rostered players exposing them to risk. On the other hand a large roster gives more available players for roster spots.

I want football in the worst way.

But the players are going to be viewed as student athletes first.

Pray for a miracle, Abe.

I want football in the worst way.

But the players are going to be viewed as student athletes first.

Pray for a miracle, Abe.
Oh I am praying trust me. The mood of the country would improve significantly if we’d get NCAA FB back, NFL back and NCAA Men’s BB back too while we are at it. There need to be other outlets for peoples energy ....

Oh I am praying trust me. The mood of the country would improve significantly if we’d get NCAA FB back, NFL back and NCAA Men’s BB back too while we are at it. There need to be other outlets for peoples energy ....

I agree. As COVID has dragged on, my spirits have been lowered. Not getting football this fall would really suck.

As long as the measuring stick is positives, I think it’s pretty much effed by October.

I mean we’ve already had 4 whole teams from the B1G alone quarantined just from working out together.

Reactions: millah_22
A few games is better than nothing at all for us fans, but is it worth risking the lives of college aged kids, albiet a very minimal amount may be affected. What if it is Trevor Lawrence that gets it bad and has heart conditions the rest of his life? What if it is a Hawkeye that this happens too? What of Lamar Jackson gets it bad and can't play again? What if just 1 head coach dies....

Last time I watched a MLB they didnt have 22 people blocking and tackling each other every play for an hour and having 100 per team being in close proximity to each other for over 3 hours.

There isn’t going to be any football. Every day there are multiple baby steps taken toward no football becoming official. Just look at the threads on page 1 in the lounge:

PSU won’t have fans
Wiscy won’t have fans
The Big Sky conference is forgoing the season
Minny’s best player forgoing season
Purdue’s best player forgoing season
PSU’s best player forgoing season
Clemson’s best player will miss season due to Covid
No vendors allowed on Melrose
Kinnick will only have 10-15,000 fans
Minny HS football moved to spring

We’re going to get news like this multiple times a day until the season is canceled outright and none of it paints a pretty picture. Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren even made it a point to repeatedly say that just because we have a schedule doesn’t mean we’ll actually play. They’re proceeding hoping a miracle happens, but grownups know that miracles don’t happen.

It’s right there in front of our faces. There are going to be more stories about P5 teams suddenly having 30 guys test positive, big name players too sick to play, etc. Hopefully we don’t see a story about aging coaches getting sick and being put on ventilators, but it’s stupid to think we won’t. Football being cancelled is slowly happening, but it’s happening nonetheless.

I said it before - there won’t be any football this year, fellas. Get the denial and anger out so you can move into the acceptance stage and find some peace.

Last edited:
More and more players will opt out. With the standards, entire units will be quarantined. How does a team play when both the entire O line and D line are quarantined because one guy tested positive. Or how do you play with no QB's?

We *may* get one or possibly two games in, but even that would surprise me. My guess is that camp will show that the current guidelines are too strict to allow it to happen and less strict opens up liability issues.

It sucks, but that's the reality right now. 2020 sucks ass.

If all of our players play less than 4 games, does everyone get to use this as a redshirt year? And do we then only get to have a handful of incoming freshman in the next recruiting class to avoid the roster size growing beyond the allowable limit?

You can worship in all kinds of places

71c1e89ec26a5d3fbeb3fa4955573e9b.jpg

There isn’t going to be any football. Every day there are multiple baby steps taken toward no football becoming official. Just look at the threads on page 1 in the lounge:

PSU won’t have fans
Wiscy won’t have fans
The Big Sky conference is forgoing the season
Minny’s best player forgoing season
Purdue’s best player forgoing season
PSU’s best player forgoing season
Clemson’s best player will miss season due to Covid
No vendors allowed on Melrose
Kinnick will only have 10-15,000 fans
Minny HS football moved to spring

We’re going to get news like this multiple times a day until the season is canceled outright and none of it paints a pretty picture. Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren even made it a point to repeatedly say that just because we have a schedule doesn’t mean we’ll actually play. They’re proceeding hoping a miracle happens, but grownups know that miracles don’t happen.

It’s right there in front of our faces. There are going to be more stories about P5 teams suddenly having 30 guys test positive, big name players too sick to play, etc. Hopefully we don’t see a story about aging coaches getting sick and being put on ventilators, but it’s stupid to think we won’t. Football being cancelled is slowly happening, but it’s happening nonetheless.

I said it before - there won’t be any football this year, fellas. Get the denial and anger out so you can move into the acceptance stage and find some peace.
This kinda pessimism is tiring. Cheer up.

I’m gonna be optimistic until things are official.

Reactions: pmtdc

They are paid and that is their job for one big difference. These are quote "student athletes". I doubt there will be fans but think we should play. Not how we will have fans but MLB or NBA doesnt.

They are paid and that is their job for one big difference. These are quote "student athletes". I doubt there will be fans but think we should play. Not how we will have fans but MLB or NBA doesnt.
Agree with all of that.

Read the Big 10 protocol, you literally need to have bubbles for first team to practice, 2nd team to practice

The rule is that if anyone tests positive, more or less those who were within 6 feet of the guy the previous 2 days have to quarantine for 14 with no testing out. You could lose a whole offensive line under those rules

I thought NBA, MLS and NHL were all in a bubble.
MLB had issues week 1 and had to shut down games. They are the only non bubble example we currently have.

Reactions: haw-key
How many games has MLB already had to postpone not even 2 weeks into the season? Some teams only got thru one series before having to pump the brakes.

I'm thinking Nebraska HS football next to be moved or cancelled. This isn't helping.

Won’t be Nebraska high school football. They have already announced they are moving forward. OPS the biggest district in the state is likely going to cancel. Rumors that Millard and Bellevue might do so as well.

7 - OPS schools
3 - Millard
2 - Bellevue

So if they all cancel, that’s over 1/3 of Class A. But also 12 of the last 13 state champs came from those schools.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Because people are afraid of what they don't know or understand..........

Read the Big 10 protocol, you literally need to have bubbles for first team to practice, 2nd team to practice

The rule is that if anyone tests positive, more or less those who were within 6 feet of the guy the previous 2 days have to quarantine for 14 with no testing out. You could lose a whole offensive line under those rules

I thought NBA, MLS and NHL were all in a bubble.
MLB had issues week 1 and had to shut down games. They are the only non bubble example we currently have.

All three sports are good examples of the close contact football will face but being in the bubble absolutely has kept these things going.

I'm thinking Nebraska HS football next to be moved or cancelled. This isn't helping.

Won’t be Nebraska high school football. They have already announced they are moving forward. OPS the biggest district in the state is likely going to cancel. Rumors that Millard and Bellevue might do so as well.

7 - OPS schools
3 - Millard
2 - Bellevue

So if they all cancel, that’s over 1/3 of Class A. But also 12 of the last 13 state champs came from those schools.

Is there is a more Nebraska name than Clester? Maybe Cletus? Also, how many classes does Nebraska have for sports?

MLS has been in a bubble that's why they've been able to play

Reactions: littlez
No fans is OK as long as the game is on tv. I'm tired of watching replays of Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska and almost never an Iowa game.

What the MLS is doing is a million times different than what College FB is doing. MLS and the NBA have been successful because they are playing in a bubble and are tested every day. Staying in dorm rooms and no outside distractions. MLB is failing as they are flying all over the country and going from city to city. Even if we just go to a conference schedule, if you add in the players living in dorms, going to classes, everything associated w/college life it's almost going to be impossible, at least in my opinion. If we could quarantine the players and only had online classes, then I think it could possibly be done. It also looks to me that a lot of the high profile guys are just saying F it, why take the chance and opting to sit out, even though things are looking shaky anyway.

Reactions: JJ13579
Reactions: CalmHawk
This.
Tom has made this same point as well. If we have to quarantine anybody that had contact with a person that tests positive (even if everyone in question is asymptotic), then it becomes logistically almost impossible to have a season. Unless college football changes the way they are handling this, it’s going to be really hard. I think it would make a lot more sense to only quarantine the person that tested positive. Or at a minimum at least just test everyone else and as long as they test negative let them play.

The other thing that is going to be harder about college sports is very few kids that age are going to be good about social distancing. In the pro leagues obviously there have been notable examples of athletes not following the social distancing guidelines either. But compliance will likely be much worse among college kids which raises the odds of outbreaks.

Correct. If the standard is positive test determining whether play is continued or stopped, then season won't be happening. They can't put them in bubbles it doesn't appear. If the approach was test only those who are sick or showing symptoms and then isolate them if they test positive, then a season could happen.

Youth sports and AAU tournaments have been happening all summer and I haven't read one thing about those being a disaster or super-spreader events, or kids hospitalized or sick. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I assumed we would hear if it did.

The schools will make every effort to play due to the financial implications. They aren't being ogres or want "people to die" if they want to try and play. Literally the athletic departments and many schools will cease to exist if there are not games. Thousands of scholarships for volleyball, gymnastics, baseball, softball, etc. could all go away if football doesn't happen.

Reactions: haw-key
This is filled with far too much common sense and too little hysterical commentary. No room for this on the inter-webs.

Reactions: pmtdc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT