ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people continue to doubt a football season....

Won’t be Nebraska high school football. They have already announced they are moving forward. OPS the biggest district in the state is likely going to cancel. Rumors that Millard and Bellevue might do so as well.

7 - OPS schools
3 - Millard
2 - Bellevue

So if they all cancel, that’s over 1/3 of Class A. But also 12 of the last 13 state champs came from those schools.
Nebraska high school football is a joke anyway.

The CDC finally started publishing stratified data for COVID by age. for the 15-24 age group in the U.S., a total of 225 deaths "with" COVID (that is a loose term). In the same timeframe, more than 16,000 persons in the 15-24 age group have died. so the COVID deaths are 1.4% of the deaths in the age group during that time.

The last year the CDC has published detailed breakdown of deaths by age and cause was for 2018. In that year, for the ages 15-24, nearly 12,500 persons died from unintentional injuries, 6211 from suicides, 4607 from homicides, 1371 from malignant neoplasms (basically cancer), 905 from heart disease, 354 from congenital abnormalities (I don't know what that is exactly), 200 from influenza, 246 from diabetes, then goes down from there. In the unintentional injuries category, individual causes are motor vehicle accidents (6,308), 3,675 from poisoning (I assume that means drug overdoses), 431 from drownings, 152 from falls and then down from there.

https://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

This data is readily available and took me all of 15 minutes to access. This is not to say that virus isn't serious, it is. Especially for older persons. But colleges and schools should be opened. It is very comparable in terms of impact to seasonal influenza to persons ages 15-24. For those 14 and under, seasonal influenza is much more serious. In 2018, 244 persons in the U.S. 14 or under died from influenza. There have been 45 kids 14 and under who have died from COVID in the entire country.

Just based on the data, it makes zero sense for us to not have schools and colleges open.

Not to nit pick, but your info says 200 from influenza and 244 from influenza both from the 2018. And those numbers are with no lockdown or remote learning. I agree that kids seem better at taking this on, but really it is comparing apples and oranges

Reactions: Fsanford
Not to nit pick, but your info says 200 from influenza and 244 from influenza both from the 2018. And those numbers are with no lockdown or remote learning. I agree that kids seem better at taking this on, but really it is comparing apples and oranges

200 is for 15-24, the 244 is for 0-14. So they are different age categories. It's not comparing apples and oranges. Viruses will spread no matter what we do. We can't do full lockdown (literally where no one leaves their homes) for 6 weeks as people would starve and society would collapse. Do we really want to close all these businesses and put all those people out of work again? for what? The virus is going to make its way through the population. Period. Just like seasonal flu makes its way through a population. Pretending that we can magically "stop the spread" is fantasy-land. The young and healthy are literally a society's front-line defense against any virus. Ordering healthy people into a quarantine is anti-science and against everything we have known and studied about how to combat these things for decades.

200 is for 15-24, the 244 is for 0-14. So they are different age categories. It's not comparing apples and oranges. Viruses will spread no matter what we do. We can't do full lockdown (literally where no one leaves their homes) for 6 weeks as people would starve and society would collapse. Do we really want to close all these businesses and put all those people out of work again? for what? The virus is going to make its way through the population. Period. Just like seasonal flu makes its way through a population. Pretending that we can magically "stop the spread" is fantasy-land. The young and healthy are literally a society's front-line defense against any virus. Ordering healthy people into a quarantine is anti-science and against everything we have known and studied about how to combat these things for decades.

Dude. All we have to do is wear a mask, not go to a party or large gathering, and it should get better. How the hell can the rest of the world do this, but Americans are just to damn stubborn to figure it out.... I will tell you how. It is social media. The flu and Covid are different. Not sure why you do not believe the doctors here.

Why is it so hard to wear a mask? I keep seeing youtube videos and articles and social media posts about their danger..... but I have yet to see a single death from a freaking mask.

Reactions: Moral
Dude. All we have to do is wear a mask, not go to a party or large gathering, and it should get better. How the hell can the rest of the world do this, but Americans are just to damn stubborn to figure it out.... I will tell you how. It is social media. The flu and Covid are different. Not sure why you do not believe the doctors here.

Why is it so hard to wear a mask? I keep seeing youtube videos and articles and social media posts about their danger..... but I have yet to see a single death from a freaking mask.

The U.S. actually ranks pretty highly in terms of compliance with mask-wearing. The Phillipines has had some of the highest mask-wearing (more than 90%) of anywhere in the world with a strict lockdown, and cases are surging in the Phillipines. Why is that if masks are the panacea? There has yet to be a definitive study on the efficacy of masks to combat respiratory viruses. Make no mistake, I'll wear a mask if a business asks that I do, or a person asks that i do in their home. Hong Kong has had some of the highest mask compliance anywhere and they are headed into their second round of lockdown. Lockdowns only delay the inevitable, which is the virus will make its way through a certain percentage of the population. There is no getting around the science of a contagious virus, which is rather lethal for older folks and less lethal than the seasonal flu for younger age groups. So our answer is to quarantine healthy people. It makes no sense.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The U.S. actually ranks pretty highly in terms of compliance with mask-wearing. The Phillipines has had some of the highest mask-wearing (more than 90%) of anywhere in the world with a strict lockdown, and cases are surging in the Phillipines. Why is that if masks are the panacea? There has yet to be a definitive study on the efficacy of masks to combat respiratory viruses. Make no mistake, I'll wear a mask if a business asks that I do, or a person asks that i do in their home. Hong Kong has had some of the highest mask compliance anywhere and they are headed into their second round of lockdown. Lockdowns only delay the inevitable, which is the virus will make its way through a certain percentage of the population. There is no getting around the science of a contagious virus, which is rather lethal for older folks and less lethal than the seasonal flu for younger age groups. So our answer is to quarantine healthy people. It makes no sense.

The U S and mask wearing compliance? Where do they get those numbers? Who watches and tallies who is wearing them. Western countries like ours do not wear masks because it is not normal to us. We still fly all over the country and go on vacations regardless.

We already knew it was harder on older people but younger asymptomatic kids give it to older people, and that is the issue. Older people deserve a little more respect than what many are giving them.

Reactions: GRT2B1
When MLB and MLS have been able to play so far?

why can’t the NCAA do it? Aside from the fact that football has more rostered players exposing them to risk. On the other hand a large roster gives more available players for roster spots.

1) MLB has had its fair share of problems (darn you Cardinals)
2) you can’t create any form of a bubble with college kids taking classes
3) professional athletes are getting paid very handsomely for taking the risk of playing- college athletes are not- IMO- you can justify professional seasons but college seasons are a different scenario

3) professional athletes are getting paid very handsomely for taking the risk of playing- college athletes are not- IMO- you can justify professional seasons but college seasons are a different scenario

No it’s not different. Both are voluntary. You assume because one group gets paid it’s easier to do the right things and put up with more distancing etc. But fact is the athletes are choosing in both instances. The pros for money and love of the game, college for exposure and love of the game. The college players are free to choose not to participate. No one would be forcing anything.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
No it’s not different. Both are voluntary. You assume because one group gets paid it’s easier to do the right things and put up with more distancing etc. But fact is the athletes are choosing in both instances. The pros for money and love of the game, college for exposure and love of the game. The college players are free to choose not to participate. No one would be forcing anything.

What you just posted is in fact different. Exposure and Job are different no matter how you look at it.

Reactions: BettDogs7
What you just posted is in fact different. Exposure and Job are different no matter how you look at it.

And in the spring, you can still be playing for exposure. I am pissed like everyone else because we need to try. But this has been a crazy year and all we can do is tighten the seat belt and sit down for the ride.

This post didn't age well for Ol' Haw-Key
Yeah it’s crazy. I think this is a decision the big ten will live to regret when the other conferences are able to have a successful season. But we will see. I may be wrong and this all becomes a shit show for the big 12, SEC and ACC. Why the big ten would choose to buck the power 5 trend to play is beyond me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT