ADVERTISEMENT

Why do Republicans deny climate change?

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

It seems obvious that climate change is real.

Why do Republicans deny it?

Even if someone didnt believe in climate change I am not sure why they still would prefer burning fossil fuels over moving over to renewables.

So let's say burning up carbon doesn't warm the earth, it still sure as hell is changing the composition of our atmosphere and that can't be good either (yes, I know that is what leads to the warming).

With the cost of renewables finally coming in line and a major transition in that area on the brink I am not sure why people keep fighting this logical next move in energy production.

Windpower.
Even if someone didnt believe in climate change I am not sure why they still would prefer burning fossil fuels over moving over to renewables.

So let's say burning up carbon doesn't warm the earth, it still sure as hell is changing the composition of our atmosphere and that can't be good either (yes, I know that is what leads to the warming).

With the cost of renewables finally coming in line and a major transition in that area on the brink I am not sure why people keep fighting this logical next move in energy production.
f means we are all gonna die!
Wind power cost to decline in half. Good for Iowa. This is a windy mf state.

Last edited:

And why would anyone from Iowa stand up for coal or oil?

Reactions: unIowa
Unfortunately, this issue, like most everything else, has been politicized. Once that has happened, it's stuck for the duration. The "right", Republicans, conservatives, whatever, will never accept that climate change is happening or that the human species is threatened by it. And, the left, democrats, liberals will always be convinced that our time is getting shorter every day. There it will stay for perpetuity.

I just hope innovation can help us to find a way to get it in balance.

Reactions: unIowa
Unfortunately, this issue, like most everything else, has been politicized. Once that has happened, it's stuck for the duration. The "right", Republicans, conservatives, whatever, will never accept that climate change is happening or that the human species is threatened by it. And, the left, democrats, liberals will always be convinced that our time is getting shorter every day. There it will stay for perpetuity.

I just hope innovation can help us to find a way to get it in balance.
So you are saying fk politics give me science?

The"right", Republicans, conservatives, whatever, will never accept that climate change is happening or that the human species is threatened by it. And, the left, democrats, liberals will always be convinced that our time is getting shorter every day

So in what way are you "threatened"

I knew the messenger killers would be out in force... can't have anyone F-ing with their new religion. :)

I mean, the TRACK RECORD, is one everyone needs to jump on board with, right? o_O

Climate Alarmists Have Been Wrong About Virtually Everything

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech...ts-have-been-wrong-about-virtually-everything

;)

121 years of Failed Climate and Environmental Predictions

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3510559

It is all about political ideology,.... If you are a lowly Democrat you have to believe in Global Warming, it is part of their platform.

However, being a libertarian, allows me to think for myself, and not with the collective....

Are there Dems who are Non believers? I bet they get excoriated for it.

Last edited:

I love this post. It's exactly what really bothers me about how people talk about global warming. The passion people have for more coal or drill baby drill are just crazy to me.

Iowa could really be building an advantage with wind power which makes me optimistic about where this is headed. That's the type of thing that will have to get people excited about renewables.

Angus says "stop using my image as your avatar."

Politics has rarely if ever been a solution to anything important. It's usually an impediment.
Politics is how humans solve most every problem. The fact that you don't appreciate the process doesn't mean that's not how we resolve nearly every conflict and ameliorate nearly every peril.

Discarded solar panels are piling up all over the world, and they represent a major threat to the environment.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/449026/solar-panel-waste-environmental-threat-clean-energy

CO2-pineGrowth100120half.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Windpower.

Wind power cost to decline in half. Good for Iowa. This is a windy mf state.

It's only going to accelerate; wind is a 'pay upfront cost', where the electricity rate/cost is mainly set by paying back the loans on building the towers and infrastructure. Once that cost is paid off, the energy is pretty much 'free'. Costs to revamp towers (new blades, new turbines) will be smaller than the original building cost, so when you sink in new $$ to refurbish a tower, the generated electricity effectively costs LESS over time.

It is a completely different financial dynamic from extraction and burning, where much of the cost is linked to extraction, transport and the same large-scale turbine costs (paid back by loans). Those costs generally rise/fall with extraction and transport prices, which are more closely tied to inflation and subject to market fluctuations. Renewables are mostly immune to those market fluctuations.

Ask the Republicans.

Reactions: cigaretteman

It also contributes to numerous illnesses, but then again, big pharma is republican.

HROT, meet Guck. He makes INH and OiT look like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

He's been here before. Pretty much ignores anything posted back to him and just posts more fake links and Op Eds.

Classic troll. Not worth feeding.
May not last long if he keeps it up here.

If the climate alarmists ever get something right, I'll be more likely to believe them. First we were facing another ice age. That didn't happen. Then it was global warming and the polar ice caps were going to melt and coastal cities were going to be 12 feet underwater. Once that didn't happen, we get climate "change" and hurricanes like Katrina would be happening with much greater frequency....and then that didn't happen.
Get something right and people will start listening.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
If the climate alarmists ever get something right, I'll be more likely to believe them. First we were facing another ice age. That didn't happen. Then it was global warming and the polar ice caps were going to melt and coastal cities were going to be 12 feet underwater. Once that didn't happen, we get climate "change" and hurricanes like Katrina would be happening with much greater frequency....and then that didn't happen.
Get something right and people will start listening.
Lol.

If the climate alarmists ever get something right, I'll be more likely to believe them.

Bullshit. You'll never believe facts if they smack you upside the head.

First we were facing another ice age. That didn't happen.

That's because the "prediction" of another ice age never happened, spud.

Then it was global warming

Which IS HAPPENING

the polar ice caps were going to melt

They are melting. Go look it up. FASTER than the scientific projections, by several decades.
coastal cities were going to be 12 feet underwater.

Where was this "prediction"? Fox News?

hurricanes like Katrina would be happening with much greater frequency....and then that didn't happen.

Extreme weather events LIKE Katrina (and now Harvey) ARE happening. Go look up major re-insurance companies like Munich-RE and Lloyds and see what THEIR data are showing. They KNOW what is coming, and are all upping their rates because of it. If that's all a "Big Conspiracy", then where's the new re-insurance giant cutting in to undersell them? Ain't happening, because the smart guys with money to provide major re-insurance know it's a fool's bet....

Which IS HAPPENING

They are melting. Go look it up. FASTER than the scientific projections, by several decades.

Extreme weather events LIKE Katrina (and now Harvey) ARE happening. Go look up major re-insurance companies like Munich-RE and Lloyds and see what THEIR data are showing. They KNOW what is coming, and are all upping their rates because of it. If that's all a "Big Conspiracy", then where's the new re-insurance giant cutting in to undersell them? Ain't happening, because the smart guys with money to provide major re-insurance know it's a fool's bet....
Listen smarty pants, he gave it 9 months, which is MORE than generous. If the earth doesn't reveal the entirety of it's plan to wipe us out in that span, it ain't happenin'.

Let me break it down in terms you can understand. It's exactly like the Russia thing. If they haven't proven a single thing, nada, nothing, zilch, anything at all connecting Trump and his team to Russia in any way whatsoever by now, then there is NOTHING. A big fat nothingburger, just like global warming.

You must not have read the emails, libtard jackass.

a

Which IS HAPPENING

Events like KatrIna and Harvey are happening, yes, but they are not happening with the greater frequency that was predicted. And you're using an insurance company jacking up their premiums as proof that something is coming? Maybe it's proof that the insurance company wants to make more money. Ever consider that? And other insurance companies see the profits and follow suit. Either way, it's hardly proof of actual climate change.

Newsweek, April, 1975, "A Cooling World". They predicted the rapidly cooling temperatures would have a drastic effect on world food supplies, and that we could be headed towards another "little ice age."

And you're right; when I said there were claims that ocean levels would rise 12 feet, I was wrong. In Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth, he said 20 feet in the next 15-20 years. That was 11 years ago, and sea levels have actually dropped. The next 4-9 years have a lot of ground to cover, so to speak.

a
Events like KatrIna and Harvey are happening, yes, but they are not happening with the greater frequency that was predicted.

Events ARE happening more frequently. If you Googled major re-insurers, you'd see that their actuarial data reflects this, based on climate-related claims and losses.

Newsweek, April, 1975, "A Cooling World". They predicted the rapidly cooling temperatures would have a drastic effect on world food supplies, and that we could be headed towards another "little ice age."

Protip:

"Newsweek" is NOT "scientists".
Your ORIGINAL gripe was that "scientists can't get things right". You're referring to a magazine article, NOT a scientific prediction, dipshit.

And you're right; when I said there were claims that ocean levels would rise 12 feet, I was wrong.

EVERYTHING in your post was wrong.

If you want to understand the SCIENCE you need to read the SCIENCE.
NOT Newsweek. NOT Al Gore movies.

Stop pretending you care and that "scientists are all wrong", because you simply refuse to listen to what they actually tell you, and defer to nonsense propaganda that makes you feel better about your position and your decisions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT