ADVERTISEMENT

Why Eno decommited...

BigDan21

HR All-State
Sep 27, 2014
From looking at twitter there appears to be more going on here beyond just Iowa having a down year. What was happening between him and the coaches?

Coaches couldn't get over him taking visits and the coaches thought it would be best to part ways.

Wasn't there a recruit recently complaining that Iowa coaches stopped recruiting him once they committed? The kids expect to be loved and adored all the way through signing day.

Reactions: 24Hawkeye7
Sounds like there's something to it. Oh well. I've never seen any 18 year old who never set foot on the field make that much of a difference.

I actually applaud the Iowa coaches for taking a stand here. It says on his scholarship offer for commits that you must not visit other schools. If you don't enforce it you'll reap what you sow with other commits. The bigger issue for Iowa recruiting rather than recruiting rankings or stars is replacing that 4 star with a guy with 2 stars or fewer on signing day.

Now they need to get on that recruiting trail and try twice as hard for a good lineman or two...

I actually applaud the Iowa coaches for taking a stand here. It says on his scholarship offer for commits that you must not visit other schools. If you don't enforce it you'll reap what you sow with other commits. The bigger issue for Iowa recruiting rather than recruiting rankings or stars is replacing that 4 star with a guy with 2 stars or fewer on signing day.

Now they need to get on that recruiting trail and try twice as hard for a good lineman or two...

Reason 1059 our coaching staff blows chunks.

Jon Miller sent out a series of tweets believing that Iowa Staff doesn't want to be burned on signing day. Stated that it would have been fine if Benjamin had been notifying them of the visits, but they kept hearing about them from 2nd hand sources. Felt they should part ways now, and get a jump on a recruit that actually wants to be there.

Bottom line Miller thinks that the felt strongly that Eno was going to flip, and they wanted to get a head start on a replacement that wants to be there, and not wait and see with Eno.

I am sure we will find out soon enough what happened.

The kid was all Iowa for the last year. He was a key in getting some of the Texas recruits to verbal. I am hoping we can keep at least 50% of them.

And this is exactly why we'll remain stuck. Look at the top programs and they adapt to the times. When you have a top-10 RB, you need to be flexible and play the situation. If he wants to check out other schools, let him. Because that's the type of player that can take your program to the next level. But our coaches don't get it. So sure, celebrate them taking a stand and losing a blue chip skill position recruit. Makes perfect sense.

Jon Miller sent out a series of tweets believing that Iowa Staff doesn't want to be burned on signing day. Stated that it would have been fine if Benjamin had been notifying them of the visits, but they kept hearing about them from 2nd hand sources. Felt they should part ways now, and get a jump on a recruit that actually wants to be there.

Bottom line Miller thinks that the felt strongly that Eno was going to flip, and they wanted to get a head start on a replacement that wants to be there, and not wait and see with Eno.

So our coaches don't feel like their program is capable of holding onto a recruit like this? I mean I get it, Higedon did it a few years ago. I just hope we go after some "big name" or at least try.

If we sign a skill player (unless its Martin from IC West) from the IC/CR metro area I am going to be pissed.

Reactions: ChrisVarick

That sums up the whole freaking problem. Don't give kids a reason to leave! No faith in your own program, coaches, and philosophy to hold on to a top recruit. This staff gives me no reason to not just say ho-hum we are just Iowa... this stuff happens.

A huge part of your job is to get talent on campus. Kids now need lots of pampering so do it now and teach them how to be grown ups when they are here.

Sorry, venting. Trying not to do it so much on here but this weekend sucks for Iowa football in every way and I am tired of being a bunch of pansies that get destroyed for not even attempting to change failing practices.

Reactions: hawkeye_power
And this is exactly why we'll remain stuck. Look at the top programs and they adapt to the times. When you have a top-10 RB, you need to be flexible and play the situation. If he wants to check out other schools, let him. Because that's the type of player that can take your program to the next level. But our coaches don't get it. So sure, celebrate them taking a stand and losing a blue chip skill position recruit. Makes perfect sense.

Take a look around. Alabama and Ohio State aren't exactly letting recruits walk all over them.

Take a look around. Alabama and Ohio State aren't exactly letting recruits walk all over them.

they let their recruits take other visits. Look in the SEC their recruits are taking visits all the time. Its the nature of the beast with these kids now a days. You tell them what to do, they will tell you to F-off.

Reactions: _Eppy_

Yeah, and when you're Iowa you need to be flexible with blue chip recruits and not stick so rigid to antiquated policies. They just lost a blue chip RB because of their 'policy'. How ****ing stupid is that.

Reactions: *hawksrock*
Yeah, and when you're Iowa you need to be flexible with blue chip recruits and not stick so rigid to antiquated policies. They just lost a blue chip RB because of their 'policy'. How ****ing stupid is that.

You honestly think they lost Eno because of a policy???

i hope AJ de-commits.
that would start a chain reaction that would eventually put us out of our KF / Barta misery once and for all i believe.
it just may happen...........

i hope AJ de-commits.
that would start a chain reaction that would eventually put us out of our KF / Barta misery once and for all i believe.
it just may happen...........
I don't because then instead of having 1 AJ and 1 Kirk, we have no AJ, and 1 kirk.

Kirk isn't leaving until he wants to leave.

Reactions: terrehawk
You honestly think they lost Eno because of a policy???

Well they lost him either because of his visits, which some are saying is what happened, in which case yes, we lost him because of a policy. Or they lost him because he opened his eyes and watched how inept our coaches are at running an offense.

Either way, this falls squarely on the coaches. Blue chip RB commits don't come our way that often, so regardless of the reason, our coaches ****ed up big time.

screenshot of Coach Ferentz using priceline

731394646.jpg

You guys always find very good running backs regardless of star rating.

I wouldn't be worried about rb at all, if i were a hawk. Id be hunting for speedy, reliable wide recievers.

Eno is easily replaceable for you all. Look at your very high rate of success. Also look at your other rb recruit, his film is pretty special.

Coaches couldn't get over him taking visits and the coaches thought it would be best to part ways.

you are correct.

From the Gazette:

The Iowa staff takes actions (by the commit) following a commitment very seriously, and the letter sent to commits spells that out plainly. When asked about it in August, Iowa recruiting coordinator Kelvin Bell laid out how serious they are about it.

“Extremely ... extremely ...,” Bell said in August. “Once you’ve committed to us, we’re committed to you. We’re not going to go out looking at other kids at your position, so we don’t expect you to go out and look at other schools.”

Following Benjamin’s decommitment, Iowa has 16 players verbally committed to its 2017 recruiting class, five of those from Texas. Given Benjamin’s vocal role in urging other recruits to come to Iowa, it remains to be seen if or how many other dominoes might fall.

whole story: http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/eno-benjamin-decommitts-from-iowa-20161023

You guys always find very good running backs regardless of star rating.

I wouldn't be worried about rb at all, if i were a hawk. Id be hunting for speedy, reliable wide recievers.

Eno is easily replaceable for you all. Look at your very high rate of success. Also look at your other rb recruit, his film is pretty special.

While I normally agree, I think it was who Eno was that is the problem. This guy recruited guys for us which helped out tremendously in Texas.

Reactions: BigHawksFan
Ferentz doesn't have clue one on how to recruit in the modern age. I've said for six years that this staff is clueless when it comes to recruiting. He has a rule that if you commit to Iowa you can't take other visits? He doesn't even follow his own rules because he still recruits kids that are committed to other schools. Ferentz is big time hypocrite! I'm officially done with him as coach. Its going to be a long ten years my friends. More 50-60 ranked recruiting classes to come.

im done for 10 years bye

I would have loved Eno to have signed with the Hawks too. Not at the expense of bending the rules to keep him. Team players don't expect to be treated better than the rest of the team! It's too bad that we don't have 4 or 5 4-5 star RB's waiting for an offer like OSU, Alabama, etc.

With that being said, I hope a few other posters follow you during your 10 year sabbatical!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT