ADVERTISEMENT

Why Eno decommited...

Ferentz doesn't have clue one on how to recruit in the modern age. I've said for six years that this staff is clueless when it comes to recruiting. He has a rule that if you commit to Iowa you can't take other visits? He doesn't even follow his own rules because he still recruits kids that are committed to other schools. Ferentz is big time hypocrite! I'm officially done with him as coach. Its going to be a long ten years my friends. More 50-60 ranked recruiting classes to come.

That's not even the same thing...I keep seeing this...& maybe you are posting it all over...but KF says they stop recruiting at that kid's position if you commit to us. So...he is not hypocritical at all...or you don't understand what it means.

You commit to Iowa & Iowa commits to you.

It has nothing to do with recruiting kids committed elsewhere (you think Iowa looks at recruiting websites to see who is available & not???? No...they recruit the kid. And if the kid says I'm committed elsewhere, I'm not interested, Iowa moves on...

I wouldn't want my son playing for Kirk. Enough said!
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard anybody say. You can go man-for-man with just about everyone who went through the program and they would disagree with you vehement Lee

You mean like how Calloway told them he was going to take visits yet they still cut ties with him too? The coaches aren't supposed to have hurt feelings in this stuff. Their job is to win football games and get the best recruits they can to Iowa. Sorry, I like Ferentz but he is wrong on this one. This is just an old way of thinking that limits Iowa in recruiting. It just does. The kids is probably 17-18 years old right? Kids do stupid things and in the list of stupid things a kid can do, taking visits secretly is not up there. Talk to him, tell him that it wasn't right and move forward.

The other thing is, so you talk a kid out of a visit. How does that make him feel? Probably like you are more concerned for yourself than the kid. And wouldn't be surprised if he decommits at some point so he can visit other schools.
The social media policy is another thing that needs changed. Let the kids use twitter, instagram, etc. It is an outdated policy. It has a good intent, but really just makes the staff and program seem old.

I would have thought some of the younger guys on the staff like Woods, Bell, B. Ferentz, Seth Wallace would have changed his mind on some of these things but I guess not.
I agree 1000%. It's not right to limit a kid's visits. And if you compare Harbaugh's recruiting effort with KF's, it's like night and day. It's beyond asinine how entitled and privileged KF is. Taking a 4-star recruit for granted is yet another unforgivable offense KF has committed.

Yeah Beau was a Texas State commit wasn't he? I mean Iowa was his first Power 5 offer. I hope that helps keep him committed, but I am sure this Drama isn't good Publicity right now.

I mean these coaches are going to have to work "overtime" this week and be down in Texas selling their brand to the recruits. If I see KF or GD at any local playoff game this week I will be upset. They should be traveling finding the best talent out there.

On that level, the bye week came at a good time.

Reactions: DavenportHawk8
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard anybody say. You can go man-for-man with just about everyone who went through the program and they would disagree with you vehement Lee

Yup. Would you rather your kid play for Pelini, Leach, and etc??? There are some bad Div 1 coaches out there who treat their players like crap. KF is a genuine guy who is all about doing what's right for the program.

Sometimes I agree with KF and other times I don't. But at Iowa the players will respect their coach and he will respect them in return.

I saw this Beau Corrales quote from a Hawkeye Nation article:

"Corrales said he didn’t know how Benjamin’s decision would impact others besides himself. 'I know a lot of guys are upset about it but I think everyone’s trying to let their emotions be set aside before making any big decisions like that. Tensions are pretty high and it’s just frustrating that we’re having to deal with this drama,' he said."

That's not good, but, yeah, maybe it will work itself out as time goes by. But "drama" do we want that?

I think this might be a bit misleading taken out of context. Earlier in the same article it also quoted Corrales as saying "“I’ll admit I’m upset with the situation right now, but I’m still 100 percent with Iowa,”. He may have been referring to others with his later statement regarding "big decisions". (Disclaimer: That's just my interpretation, I have no inside knowledge).

Reactions: Eternal Return
Okay, true. But need I to remind you of the NFL quality development that goes on there? Your program is the most impressive development program in all of college football. I say this because your setup doesn't live and die by impact freshman, it will find impressive bodies and character to build. It's quite impressive and something I wouldn't change (except for the puzzling receiver deficiencies).

Your program always strattles the like between four win and undefeated seasons. And that is okay because almost all games are always physical and go down to the wire. You can be 4-8 and beat an undefeated team or go 12-2 while losing to a nobody. Your opponents get beat up and always leave worse off for having played you no matter the outcome.

The only thing I'd change would be to double up on the wr and qb walkons and hire a specialized development "trainer" and buy specialized "equipment" in the hopes of enhanced development.

Also. I see how you guys like to say "That's just too sexy". Sexy doesn't guarentee success. In fact, it guarentees that you must gain significantly more yards than your non-sexy opponents to have a chance of winning.

Take our game last year. We had 450 yards of offense to your 250 (same as psu and osu last night, actually). Guess who won both games? The non-sexy teams. Why? Because 450 to 250 yards doesn't even tell half the story, it's like taking a sentence out of the full story (context). Sexy is not efficient, it is more risky, it guarantees more mistakes, it's choosing the dark side of the sport which works well if you aren't too unlucky with your carelessness.

I also admire your program because all opponents are afraid to play you regardless of your record. Your mean, physical, smart, efficient and will get more out of each yard than the rest of us.

I mean I get it though. You probably get frustrated at how much better the sexy programs look. You also hear so much about them while you typically get a little bit more overlooked. Nebraska has been on both sides of that coin. And let me tell you, the grass is always greener and I am excited to work away from sexy and go back to cleaner ball. It's all hindsight fellas.

So forget Eno, Calloway etc.. You dont have rb or cb deficiencies and probably never will. You were fin even during the airbag years. I guarantee they wouldnt have made a bit of difference to the outcome of your games. Get more wr and dual threat qb bodies (walkons or scholarship) while keeping everything else the same, then I think you'd be strattling more on the right side of the aforementioned thin-line of consistency.
Great post. And yes, another Brad Banks and CJ Jones please.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Okay, true. But need I to remind you of the NFL quality development that goes on there? Your program is the most impressive development program in all of college football. I say this because your setup doesn't live and die by impact freshman, it will find impressive bodies and character to build. It's quite impressive and something I wouldn't change (except for the puzzling receiver deficiencies).

The word on the street is Iowa develops more NFL talent than most other college teams. That is a bit skewed.

BIG All time Football Programs sending players to the NFL after 2015
Ohio State – 425 (3rd)
Penn St. – 358 (4th)
Michigan – 353 (5th)
Nebraska – 349 (6th)
Wisconsin – 301 (14th)
Michigan St. 289 (18th)
Purdue – 273 (21st)
Illinois – 271 (22nd)
Iowa – 258 (25th)

BiG Schools with the most Players on NFL Rosters thru Week 5
Ohio State – 39
Penn State – 29
Nebraska – 26
Michigan State – 26
Wisconsin – 25
Iowa – 21

Source NCAA

I suppose one could say more development takes place but then again when you are talking about 2 and 3 star athletes they have more room for development. 4 and 5 star students athletes are already ahead in development.

The word on the street is Iowa develops more NFL talent than most other college teams. That is a bit skewed.

Ohio State – 425 (3rd)
Penn St. – 358 (4th)
Michigan – 353 (5th)
Nebraska – 349 (6th)
Wisconsin – 301 (14th)
Michigan St. 289 (18th)
Purdue – 273 (21st)
Illinois – 271 (22nd)
Iowa – 258 (25th)

Ohio State – 39
Penn State – 29
Nebraska – 26
Michigan State – 26
Wisconsin – 25
Iowa – 21

Source NCAA

I suppose one could say more development takes place but then again when you are talking about 2 and 3 star athletes they have more room for development. 4 and 5 star students athletes are already ahead in development.

Ohio State – 425 (3rd)
Penn St. – 358 (4th)
Michigan – 353 (5th)
Nebraska – 349 (6th)
Wisconsin – 301 (14th)
Michigan St. 289 (18th)
Purdue – 273 (21st)
Illinois – 271 (22nd)
Iowa – 258 (25th)

Ohio State – 39
Penn State – 29
Nebraska – 26
Michigan State – 26
Wisconsin – 25
Iowa – 21

Source NCAA

Iowa is 16th in NFL draftees over the last 10 years. That's ahead of Michigan, Oregon, Auburn, Tennessee, Stanford, Nebraska and others that recruit better than us. I'd say that makes us a pretty good developmental program if not the best.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ost-players-drafted-into-nfl-in-past-10-years

That list of course is a year old....in the past 10 years Nebraska has more draft picks than Iowa.

Even if this is true, I'm sure it's pretty close. It still doesn't change the fact that Iowa is a better developmental program when you compare average recruiting ranks over a 10 year period.

Why would you want to play for a coach who can't add 8+6? Kirk is the laughing stock of college football for that decision. Skill players avoid us like the plague and who can blame them?
That quote is taken so out of context, 2 scores meaning a TD and a 2 point conversion to tie. As opposed to a field goal and TD to win it. Seriously have no problem with the decision, its not like Wisconsin was setting records with their offense. Get the 3 with 5+ minutes and down by 5, force a punt-block it or let D King get good return, CJB finds a way to get into the endzone...game over. However, when your kicker misses a 35 yard field goal....well that is the ball game and we sit now at 5-3....certainly sucks but I still hope for a good season after the bye week

That quote is taken so out of context, 2 scores meaning a TD and a 2 point conversion to tie. As opposed to a field goal and TD to win it. Seriously have no problem with the decision, its not like Wisconsin was setting records with their offense. Get the 3 with 5+ minutes and down by 5, force a punt-block it or let D King get good return, CJB finds a way to get into the endzone...game over. However, when your kicker misses a 35 yard field goal....well that is the ball game and we sit now at 5-3....certainly sucks but I still hope for a good season after the bye week

It wasn't taken out of context.

It wasn't taken out of context.
It appears people are trying to say that KF didn't realize that a TD and 2 point conversion would not tie the game. That is not the case, which is why it was taken out of context. The decision was to get 3, get a defensive stop and score a TD without need for 2 point conversion (which is not high % play either) and win the game. Kicker missed so obviously in hindsight it was not the right play. But considering we were like 10% converting 3rd down IDK why people think going for 4th and 5 would be right decision, especially considering you still need to score a TD and if you don't there is little to no time left and even if you do you now need 2 pt conversion and if you don't get that once again time is a major factor. IMO it was the right call, make it and there is 4+ minutes to get a stop and force punt

It appears people are trying to say that KF didn't realize that a TD and 2 point conversion would not tie the game. That is not the case, which is why it was taken out of context. The decision was to get 3, get a defensive stop and score a TD without need for 2 point conversion (which is not high % play either) and win the game. Kicker missed so obviously in hindsight it was not the right play. But considering we were like 10% converting 3rd down IDK why people think going for 4th and 5 would be right decision, especially considering you still need to score a TD and if you don't there is little to no time left and even if you do you now need 2 pt conversion and if you don't get that once again time is a major factor. IMO it was the right call, make it and there is 4+ minutes to get a stop and force punt
I would have liked to see him try to gain 2-3 yards on third down then get the other 2-3 yards on 4th down and continue to try to get the TD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT