ADVERTISEMENT

Why Eno decommited...

Just reporting what i heard from the Michigan side of things, KF basically told Eno to get lost, pulled the offer. He didn't have a choice but to decommit.

I'm pretty sure he's not a take right now for Michigan..Watch out for Nebraska.

KF needs to get with the times, let the kid take visits.

Yes, Iowa cut him loose a week ago. Chevin Calloway too.

When and how the recruit chooses to release it is up to them.

Just reporting what i heard from the Michigan side of things, KF basically told Eno to get lost, pulled the offer. He didn't have a choice but to decommit.

I'm pretty sure he's not a take right now for Michigan..Watch out for Nebraska.

KF needs to get with the times, let the kid take visits.
Nebraska hasn't even offered yet.

While I normally agree, I think it was who Eno was that is the problem. This guy recruited guys for us which helped out tremendously in Texas.

Okay, true. But need I to remind you of the NFL quality development that goes on there? Your program is the most impressive development program in all of college football. I say this because your setup doesn't live and die by impact freshman, it will find impressive bodies and character to build. It's quite impressive and something I wouldn't change (except for the puzzling receiver deficiencies).

Your program always strattles the like between four win and undefeated seasons. And that is okay because almost all games are always physical and go down to the wire. You can be 4-8 and beat an undefeated team or go 12-2 while losing to a nobody. Your opponents get beat up and always leave worse off for having played you no matter the outcome.

The only thing I'd change would be to double up on the wr and qb walkons and hire a specialized development "trainer" and buy specialized "equipment" in the hopes of enhanced development.

Also. I see how you guys like to say "That's just too sexy". Sexy doesn't guarentee success. In fact, it guarentees that you must gain significantly more yards than your non-sexy opponents to have a chance of winning.

Take our game last year. We had 450 yards of offense to your 250 (same as psu and osu last night, actually). Guess who won both games? The non-sexy teams. Why? Because 450 to 250 yards doesn't even tell half the story, it's like taking a sentence out of the full story (context). Sexy is not efficient, it is more risky, it guarantees more mistakes, it's choosing the dark side of the sport which works well if you aren't too unlucky with your carelessness.

I also admire your program because all opponents are afraid to play you regardless of your record. Your mean, physical, smart, efficient and will get more out of each yard than the rest of us.

I mean I get it though. You probably get frustrated at how much better the sexy programs look. You also hear so much about them while you typically get a little bit more overlooked. Nebraska has been on both sides of that coin. And let me tell you, the grass is always greener and I am excited to work away from sexy and go back to cleaner ball. It's all hindsight fellas.

So forget Eno, Calloway etc.. You dont have rb or cb deficiencies and probably never will. You were fin even during the airbag years. I guarantee they wouldnt have made a bit of difference to the outcome of your games. Get more wr and dual threat qb bodies (walkons or scholarship) while keeping everything else the same, then I think you'd be strattling more on the right side of the aforementioned thin-line of consistency.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="MichiganBaller, post: 3732028, member: 31178] KF needs to get with the times, let the kid take visits.[/QUOTE]
It's not that he took visits that is the main issue it's that he secretly took them and lied about it, twice. If he was open and honest with the staff chances are he is still a hawk.

Reactions: terrehawk
Yes, Iowa cut him loose a week ago. Chevin Calloway too.

When and how the recruit chooses to release it is up to them.

This seems like a ridiculous policy. We should be selling these recruits on our program until the day they sign. If two equal schools, this type of policy cannot be to our advantage, and it's probably a deterrent even before the verbal. It's like you'd rather shop at a store that has the confidence to offer a 100% refund, even if you don't think you'll use it.

Jon Miller sent out a series of tweets believing that Iowa Staff doesn't want to be burned on signing day. Stated that it would have been fine if Benjamin had been notifying them of the visits, but they kept hearing about them from 2nd hand sources. Felt they should part ways now, and get a jump on a recruit that actually wants to be there.

Bottom line Miller thinks that the felt strongly that Eno was going to flip, and they wanted to get a head start on a replacement that wants to be there, and not wait and see with Eno.

I wish the Iowa coaching staff would spend more time polishing their resumes than worrying about sloppy second recruits.

You guys always find very good running backs regardless of star rating.

I wouldn't be worried about rb at all, if i were a hawk. Id be hunting for speedy, reliable wide recievers.

Eno is easily replaceable for you all. Look at your very high rate of success. Also look at your other rb recruit, his film is pretty special.

Losing Eno doesn't freak me out. Losing all the recruits he helped bring on board as a result would be disastrous and could drop this class from a high 20's/30 type ranking down into the 50's or worse.

Losing Eno doesn't freak me out. Losing all the recruits he helped bring on board as a result would be disastrous and could drop this class from a high 20's/30 type ranking down into the 50's or worse.
Agree. We have done well with lower rated backs. Look at Wadley and Daniels. WR is our real pressing need right now. Eno real lose was in his recruiting and promoting the program.

Reactions: TarrNationHawk
The visit policy is stupid. I get trying to do it but enforcing just seems ridiculous. If a kid wants to visit other places just tell him he isn't considered committed but then continue to recruit him hard.

In regards to Eno. It sucks to lose him because he really did do a lot to help Iowa recruit and I think he really did want to go to Iowa. I think the coaches are a little jump from losing guys like Higdon and are overreacting. In truth, Iowa hasn't had trouble getting good RBs, it is WRs, OTs, and DL recruits they have been having trouble with. The big question is will it affect other Texas recruits like Holmes and Hankins?

Reactions: BigHawksFan
This is not in the least surprising.
Iowa is behind the times on the field, of course you would expect them to be behind the times off the field as well.

It is more likely that a 4 or 5 star guy is going to turn out to be a great player than finding the rare 2 star or walk on that comes out of nowhere to be all B1G.
If the expectation now is that kids take visits, even after their verbal commitment, and that they expect constant attention until they're on campus then that's what you give them. Unless there's a lineup of 4 and 5 star kids at that position wanting to come to Iowa, they must scrap and claw and do everything that's legal and within NCAA rules to get that kid signed and on campus. Iowa absolutely, positively, cannot afford to take any 4 or 5 star kid for granted that wants to go there.

Get with the times, or go enjoy retirement.

The visit policy is stupid. I get trying to do it but enforcing just seems ridiculous. If a kid wants to visit other places just tell him he isn't considered committed but then continue to recruit him hard.

In regards to Eno. It sucks to lose him because he really did do a lot to help Iowa recruit and I think he really did want to go to Iowa. I think the coaches are a little jump from losing guys like Higdon and are overreacting. In truth, Iowa hasn't had trouble getting good RBs, it is WRs, OTs, and DL recruits they have been having trouble with. The big question is will it affect other Texas recruits like Holmes and Hankins?
The coaches didn't let Eno go simply because he took visits. They let him go because he tried to take the visits secretively and hide them from the Iowa coaches not once but twice. If Eno would have been open and honest with the coaches, or the other 2017 commits, he would probably still be a Hawk. The visit policy isn't the reason why Eno isn't here. It is the way Eno handled his business.

The coaches, and other recruits per Mansell, were able to talk Hankins out of taking his official to Michigan this weekend. That is a big win for Iowa for now. Holmes's has family in Iowa so the connection for him is much stronger than another recruit. Mansell and Corrales both seem strong after their visits this weekend.

That's not good enough after a 12-0 regular season. We can't afford to have dumb policies like this. This is the type of thing you hint at only but enforce on a case by case basis (we reserve the right).

The coaches didn't let Eno go simply because he took visits. They let him go because he tried to take the visits secretively and hide them from the Iowa coaches not once but twice. If Eno would have been open and honest with the coaches, or the other 2017 commits, he would probably still be a Hawk. The visit policy isn't the reason why Eno isn't here. It is the way Eno handled his business.

The coaches, and other recruits per Mansell, were able to talk Hankins out of taking his official to Michigan this weekend. That is a big win for Iowa for now. Holmes's has family in Iowa so the connection for him is much stronger than another recruit. Mansell and Corrales both seem strong after their visits this weekend.

You mean like how Calloway told them he was going to take visits yet they still cut ties with him too? The coaches aren't supposed to have hurt feelings in this stuff. Their job is to win football games and get the best recruits they can to Iowa. Sorry, I like Ferentz but he is wrong on this one. This is just an old way of thinking that limits Iowa in recruiting. It just does. The kids is probably 17-18 years old right? Kids do stupid things and in the list of stupid things a kid can do, taking visits secretly is not up there. Talk to him, tell him that it wasn't right and move forward.

The other thing is, so you talk a kid out of a visit. How does that make him feel? Probably like you are more concerned for yourself than the kid. And wouldn't be surprised if he decommits at some point so he can visit other schools.
The social media policy is another thing that needs changed. Let the kids use twitter, instagram, etc. It is an outdated policy. It has a good intent, but really just makes the staff and program seem old.

I would have thought some of the younger guys on the staff like Woods, Bell, B. Ferentz, Seth Wallace would have changed his mind on some of these things but I guess not.

Reactions: BigHawksFan
You mean like how Calloway told them he was going to take visits yet they still cut ties with him too? The coaches aren't supposed to have hurt feelings in this stuff. Their job is to win football games and get the best recruits they can to Iowa. Sorry, I like Ferentz but he is wrong on this one. This is just an old way of thinking that limits Iowa in recruiting. It just does. The kids is probably 17-18 years old right? Kids do stupid things and in the list of stupid things a kid can do, taking visits secretly is not up there. Talk to him, tell him that it wasn't right and move forward.

The other thing is, so you talk a kid out of a visit. How does that make him feel? Probably like you are more concerned for yourself than the kid. And wouldn't be surprised if he decommits at some point so he can visit other schools.
The social media policy is another thing that needs changed. Let the kids use twitter, instagram, etc. It is an outdated policy. It has a good intent, but really just makes the staff and program seem old.

I would have thought some of the younger guys on the staff like Woods, Bell, B. Ferentz, Seth Wallace would have changed his mind on some of these things but I guess not.
The Calloway situation has alot more to do with the "dealings" of people around him than it does him taking visits...

Reactions: cecilB

The Calloway situation really has nothing to do with him taking other visits but carry on.

He shouldn't have HAD to lie about the visits. Colossally stupid recruiting again by this underachieving staff.

I actually applaud their stance. Recruiting is no different than selling. The expectations were clearly set. Sales is about asks and gives. If the expectation was set that they couldn't take other visits or the offer would be pulled they have to follow through or no one will take them serious going forward.

In a world where schools are not bound to honor their scholarship offers (there is obviously a reputation so risk for pulling it), it would be crazy for a recruit to stop taking visits and limit his options in the event that the school pulls its offer. Iowa's policy is unreasonable in light of this imo

In a world where schools are not bound to honor their scholarship offers (there is obviously a reputation so risk for pulling it), it would be crazy for a recruit to stop taking visits and limit his options in the event that the school pulls its offer. Iowa's policy is unreasonable in light of this imo
When has Iowa pulled a scholly from a commit other than Jack Beneventi? I am pretty sure Iowa helped get him in at W. Illinois.

That's not good enough after a 12-0 regular season. We can't afford to have dumb policies like this. This is the type of thing you hint at only but enforce on a case by case basis (we reserve the right).

Exactly

When has Iowa pulled a scholly from a commit other than Jack Beneventi? I am pretty sure Iowa helped get him in at W. Illinois.
Maybe Jyaz Jones? He was listed as a verbal until Iowa poached Miles Taylor from GT late in the cycle. I've only read Jyaz Jones side of the story. He claims he was "caught up in a numbers crunch". I have no idea if that is the sole reason...He ended up at CSU for a short period and onto JUCO, I think....guessing grades were the overall issue.

They DX'd Austin Vincent a few years ago due to grades...he ended up being recruited to Colorado by Bobby Kennedy. He lasted a little bit there before getting the boot for a crime that put him on the sex offender registry.

Frank Darby had his offer pulled when he declined Iowa's demand that he attend prep school for a short period. Ended up at Arizona State (being coached by former Hawk-Jay Norvell).

That is just sad. Its going to be like the last few years of Hayden Fry's tenure.

Fry's last year was horrible no doubt. The year before was disappointing because they had high expectations that weren't met. The prior year they throttled Washington in the Sun Bowl.

Maybe Jyaz Jones? He was listed as a verbal until Iowa poached Miles Taylor from GT late in the cycle. I've only read Jyaz Jones side of the story. He claims he was "caught up in a numbers crunch". I have no idea if that is the sole reason...He ended up at CSU for a short period and onto JUCO, I think....guessing grades were the overall issue.

They DX'd Austin Vincent a few years ago due to grades...he ended up being recruited to Colorado by Bobby Kennedy. He lasted a little bit there before getting the boot for a crime that put him on the sex offender registry.

Frank Darby had his offer pulled when he declined Iowa's demand that he attend prep school for a short period. Ended up at Arizona State (being coached by former Hawk-Jay Norvell).
So get your grades in order and you won't have a problem with that Iowa offer. I remember the Darby case. He got a passing test score back late in the process but Iowa wanted him to be a little more prepared before he came to Iowa.

Wasn't Jones a CSU commit before Iowa offered?

So get your grades in order and you won't have a problem with that Iowa offer. I remember the Darby case. He got a passing test score back late in the process but Iowa wanted him to be a little more prepared before he came to Iowa.

Wasn't Jones a CSU commit before Iowa offered?
I'm not sure if it was Jyaz or his brother Anjeus that verballed to CSU/another school. Maybe both?

Bottom line Miller thinks that the felt strongly that Eno was going to flip, and they wanted to get a head start on a replacement that wants to be there, and not wait and see with Eno.

At this stage of the recruiting game, does Iowa have any offers out to any high-quality RBs? Do they have good standing with any high-quality running backs? Or is Iowa just going to poach a kid softly committed to Appaloosa State who's been hoping and waiting for an FBS offer from just about any Power 5 conference? Did the Iowa coaches think about how pulling his offer might impact other recruits this year? Next year and in the foreseeable future? This is the social media age whether Kirk believes in it or not and these recruits communicate with each other. This move has the potential to give the Iowa coaching staff a really, really bad reputation with potential recruits in the future (let alone Mansell and the rest of the Texas recruits this year).

Reactions: David1979
At this stage of the recruiting game, does Iowa have any offers out to any high-quality RBs? Do they have good standing with any high-quality running backs? Or is Iowa just going to poach a kid softly committed to Appaloosa State who's been hoping and waiting for an FBS offer from just about any Power 5 conference? Did the Iowa coaches think about how pulling his offer might impact other recruits this year? Next year and in the foreseeable future? This is the social media age whether Kirk believes in it or not and these recruits communicate with each other. This move has the potential to give the Iowa coaching staff a really, really bad reputation with potential recruits in the future (let alone Mansell and the rest of the Texas recruits this year).

While I agree with you partially, this will not affect any other recruits mind set. These kids commit to a coach/program. They do not commit because some kid told them to. I remember back when Jake C was supposedly recruiting all the players out of Illinois to Iowa. Every single one of them said, he put Iowa into their minds. They had to go check it out for themselves and make sure it was the right "fit" for them. So we might see maybe 1-2 guys leave, but those are the guys who were probably "soft" verbals. No HS kid has the ability to recruit kids to a program, these kids commit to a coach/school. Not because their buddy from the next town over told him to.

In the scholarship letter that each player gets it states the first expectation is (Will not take any other visits). So if you commit, your agreeing to those expectations. I am pretty sure most coaches will still allow you to take a visit if you communicate it to them.

After hearing some guys talk on the radio today, it sounded like Iowa coaches didn't want this to be "Higedon 2.0). They didn't want to get burnt in February. So I can see their side to it. I just wish there was a happy ending, but this is the real world and there are no happy endings.

While I agree with you partially, this will not affect any other recruits mind set. These kids commit to a coach/program. They do not commit because some kid told them to. I remember back when Jake C was supposedly recruiting all the players out of Illinois to Iowa. Every single one of them said, he put Iowa into their minds. They had to go check it out for themselves and make sure it was the right "fit" for them. So we might see maybe 1-2 guys leave, but those are the guys who were probably "soft" verbals. No HS kid has the ability to recruit kids to a program, these kids commit to a coach/school. Not because their buddy from the next town over told him to.

In the scholarship letter that each player gets it states the first expectation is (Will not take any other visits). So if you commit, your agreeing to those expectations. I am pretty sure most coaches will still allow you to take a visit if you communicate it to them.

After hearing some guys talk on the radio today, it sounded like Iowa coaches didn't want this to be "Higedon 2.0). They didn't want to get burnt in February. So I can see their side to it. I just wish there was a happy ending, but this is the real world and there are no happy endings.

That's a fair assessment, well considered. I appreciate that. And I hope you're right about the reputation issues. I'm not sold 100 percent, but I am willing to concede that I am still in shock right now. Not a lot is going Iowa's way this fall. This doesn't help and if Iowa does lose more commits, especially the Texas guys, then it'll be hard to believe that this situation didn't contribute to that.

Reactions: DavenportHawk8
we might see maybe 1-2 guys leave, but those are the guys who were probably "soft" verbals. No HS kid has the ability to recruit kids to a program, these kids commit to a coach/school. Not because their buddy from the next town over told him to.

I saw this Beau Corrales quote from a Hawkeye Nation article:

"Corrales said he didn’t know how Benjamin’s decision would impact others besides himself. 'I know a lot of guys are upset about it but I think everyone’s trying to let their emotions be set aside before making any big decisions like that. Tensions are pretty high and it’s just frustrating that we’re having to deal with this drama,' he said."

That's not good, but, yeah, maybe it will work itself out as time goes by. But "drama" do we want that?

Yeah Beau was a Texas State commit wasn't he? I mean Iowa was his first Power 5 offer. I hope that helps keep him committed, but I am sure this Drama isn't good Publicity right now.

I mean these coaches are going to have to work "overtime" this week and be down in Texas selling their brand to the recruits. If I see KF or GD at any local playoff game this week I will be upset. They should be traveling finding the best talent out there.

I saw this Beau Corrales quote from a Hawkeye Nation article:

"Corrales said he didn’t know how Benjamin’s decision would impact others besides himself. 'I know a lot of guys are upset about it but I think everyone’s trying to let their emotions be set aside before making any big decisions like that. Tensions are pretty high and it’s just frustrating that we’re having to deal with this drama,' he said."

That's not good, but, yeah, maybe it will work itself out as time goes by. But "drama" do we want that?
Pretty sure Corrales had recently mentioned a p5 school had been pushing him for a visit...I'm about 75% sure it was Penn State...at the time, he mentioned not wanting to go through the whole de-comittment process again..

Reactions: Eternal Return
Jon Miller sent out a series of tweets believing that Iowa Staff doesn't want to be burned on signing day. Stated that it would have been fine if Benjamin had been notifying them of the visits, but they kept hearing about them from 2nd hand sources. Felt they should part ways now, and get a jump on a recruit that actually wants to be there.

Funny how this just gets ignored by all those posters who we've never seen on here before

Most of these posters seem to be likely fans from other fan bases coming into Starship

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT