ADVERTISEMENT

Why has Padilla not hit the portal?

I have no idea who will start the majority of next season, Petras, Padilla, Labas, or May for that matter. The one thing I DO know for certain, No ones getting run out of their starting spot by "the fans'. Ain't happening...

Going out on a limb but I'm 100% sure it won't be May. I couldn't see KF give the keys to a freshman. I'm not sure Labas has a shot either.

Padilla is already playing behind one of the poorest starting quarterbacks of any power 5 conference. Not many options unless he steps down a level. And I like Petras the person.

Why would he? This is literally Jake/ Ricky 2.0. He has to feel the temperature of the room. Petras screws up early gets ran out by the fans he is the starter of a P5 school. Or I guess you could go to Colorado State with a new coach and no guarantees of even playing there.
The “fans” will have no voice in who plays QB. Coaches could care less what the “fans” think. I certainly wouldn’t want a coach who listens to the fans on who they should play.

Hear me out...BF is changing the offense to an RPO and it's not actually Padilla that will be hitting the portal it's Petras once he realizes the new scheme doesn't fit his skill set. Hence why they let Petras go the whole bowl game knowing it'd most likely be his last at Iowa.

Hear me out...BF is changing the offense to an RPO and it's not actually Padilla that will be hitting the portal it's Petras once he realizes the new scheme doesn't fit his skill set. Hence why they let Petras go the whole bowl game knowing it'd most likely be his last at Iowa.
I can get down with this.

You are either really high or really drunk!

Could be lack of any decent prospects.

Could be he's more patient than most.

Could be he genuinely likes at Iowa.

Could be he's waiting till after spring ball to see where he stands.

If he is going to go, playing spring ball at your new school is a huge advantage on the upcoming season.

You really think Brian could talk Kirk into a RPO schemed offense...?

Stranger things may have happened at Iowa, under KF But I'm not sure what that was...

I'd love it if it became reality! 🤞🤞🤞

They already do some RPOs and what makes you think they RPOs fit Padilla’s skill set and not Petras?

Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
You do realize that the "R" part of RPO doesn't necessarily mean the QB running, right? There's no reason SP couldn't QB an RPO heavy offense. We run some RPO plays now.

Reactions: BBHawk and HawkOn15
I hope that was sarcasm! It may not be “allowed”, but coaches are saying that it is happening.
This is like with video games, and people cheating. Many say “you can’t cheat on console,” yet many video game makers are saying they’re trying to figure out how to combat the cheating on current generation consoles.
they just expect you to believe it’s true because at one time it might have been

Reactions: mooresville hawk
I hope that was sarcasm! It may not be “allowed”, but coaches are saying that it is happening.
Pretty easy to work around. Rather than a coach contacting somebody, a WR or RB connects with him on social media. Then takes the conversation off line to a cell/text thread. "Hey man, we need a QB, the offensive coaches really like you. If you're thinking of transferring I think you'd be a good fit here".

Last edited:
You do realize that the "R" part of RPO doesn't necessarily mean the QB running, right? There's no reason SP couldn't QB an RPO heavy offense. We run some RPO plays now.
The QB has to be a threat to run is #1. Yes we hear that he is trying to be more mobile next season, but as of right now, there is zero threat of Petras not handing the ball off, so pretty much the exact same offense Iowa is running right now.

• Haha
Reactions: 01135965
Not necessarily Padilla but some of these portal guys are giving up scholarships with nothing to replace them with for sure. Gamble.
Yes it is a factor. There are so many transfers, that not all of them entering the portal are going to have landing spots. I saw something a few weeks ago on the sheer numbers and a good % of guys will not end up with teams to be on at the end of the day. A free college education is not nothing.

Colorado State I believe got a new coach. Wyoming has been openly looking for a new QB. My guess, only a guess, is that he stays and tries to win the job.

Reactions: ichawk24
Padilla is already playing behind one of the poorest starting quarterbacks of any power 5 conference. Not many options unless he steps down a level. And I like Petras the person.
Do you even know Petras? Or do you just like him based on what you've read? Honest question, not trying to start anything.

The QB has to be a threat to run is #1. Yes we hear that he is trying to be more mobile next season, but as of right now, there is zero threat of Petras not handing the ball off, so pretty much the exact same offense Iowa is running right now.
The QB does not have to be a threat to run. Explain why he has to be a threat to run please. If the QB is running on an RPO he likely messed up the play.

The QB does not have to be a threat to run. Explain why he has to be a threat to run please. If the QB is running on an RPO he likely messed up the play.
so you are looking at a play-action or run. What again is the difference from what they run right now? Yes, having a QB that can tuck the ball changes an RPO offense. The defense will never have to pay attention to the QB run in this component.

Are you confusing RPO with zone read? RPOs are packaged plays where you use run blocking and the QB makes a post snap read on whether to hand off for a run or keep and pass. Because of the blocking style it has to be quick hitting on pass plays to prevent o linemen from getting too far downfield.

You can have RPO plays that are designed qb runs just like any other play, but it's not integral to the concept.

Are you confusing RPO with zone read? RPOs are packaged plays where you use run blocking and the QB makes a post snap read on whether to hand off for a run or keep and pass. Because of the blocking style it has to be quick hitting on pass plays to prevent o linemen from getting too far downfield.

You can have RPO plays that are designed qb runs just like any other play, but it's not integral to the concept.
Not at all, if the defensive end is squeezing, the QB must be mobile enough to pull the ball and either make the pass or run. Petras is has not shown the ability to make the throw on the run, or move well enough for this to be an option right now.

so you are looking at a play-action or run. What again is the difference from what they run right now? Yes, having a QB that can tuck the ball changes an RPO offense. The defense will never have to pay attention to the QB run in this component.
A QB run is hardly ever involved in an RPO. Tanner Morgan made is career off RPOs and he’s not a run threat. What Iowa do know is primarily triggered by a box count. If they have numbers outside that’s where they go. All Minnesota does with their RPOs they leave the LBs unblocked if they vacate there zone they throw it. It’s far different than PA.

Again, it is integral to keep the defense honest, you do not want a defense that can hang in cover 1 the entire game, but explain to me why I am wrong in this concept.

A QB run is hardly ever involved in an RPO. Tanner Morgan made is career off RPOs and he’s not a run threat. What Iowa do know is primarily triggered by a box count. If they have numbers outside that’s where they go. All Minnesota does with their RPOs they leave the LBs unblocked if they vacate there zone they throw it. It’s far different than PA.
Again, I never said every play, but the threat has to be there. Also the need to be able to tuck the ball in the roll out is absoltuely a part of the RPO. Do you have confidence in Petras throwing the ball on the move?

Reactions: hawktech
Again, it is integral to keep the defense honest, you do not want a defense that can hang in cover 1 the entire game, but explain to me why I am wrong in this concept.
It is not an integral part some of the best RPO QBs aren’t mobile. They are quick decision makers. A defense playing cover 1 is dangerous in an RPO offense as you can incorporate a slant flat concept and cause lots of problems for the DBs.

Again, I never said every play, but the threat has to be there. Also the need to be able to tuck the ball in the roll out is absoltuely a part of the RPO. Do you have confidence in Petras throwing the ball on the move?
RPOs are throws made from the pocket why would he be on the move doing an RPO. What run concept are you tagging on that he would be runnning?

We actually play a LOT of RPO. "RPO" is used pretty much interchangeably with "zone read", which we don't do a much (if any) of. And to your point, the run option isn't the QB.

Reactions: Hwk-I-St8
I know this video is better and shows actual film and how it fits in Iowas offense. Again the goal of an RPO is to either hand the ball off or pass it quickly. The longer the QB has the ball the more bad stuff will happen.

Just another cog in an already confusing offense for a QB that has no ability to climb the pocket or read a defense outside of throwing the ball to Laporta. Padilla gives you the double option in this scenario to tuck the ball. Again, having this as a threat allows you to open up even more.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
Just another cog in an already confusing offense for a QB that has no ability to climb the pocket or read a defense outside of throwing the ball to Laporta. Padilla gives you the double option in this scenario to tuck the ball. Again, having this as a threat allows you to open up even more.
He doesn’t give you the run run option. Other teams edge players can run him down with ease as evidence by the read option we did against Illinois in goal distance. It should have been a TD but since he’s not an athlete he got caught by their edge defender. Iowa/Kirk will not incorporate those plays for fear of the QB getting hurt.

They already do some RPOs and what makes you think they RPOs fit Padilla’s skill set and not Petras?

Have you seen Petras run...? Yeah, me neither.

Neither is a great, or even good runner. But Padilla is a far better than Spencer. And it isn't even close...

Where Padilla got short changed, IMHO, is when they stopped running him outside the pocket after the NW game... That was what kept defenses in check, and opened up our offense... That's on Kirk

Reactions: citizenHawk
Have you seen Petras run...? Yeah, me neither.

Neither is a great, or even good runner. But Padilla is a far better than Spencer. And it isn't even close...

Where Padilla got short changed, IMHO, is when they stopped running him outside the pocket after the NW game... That was what kept defenses in check, and opened up our offense... That's on Kirk
They are closer than you think in terms of mobility. They were moving him outside to make his reads easier because they didn’t trust him in the pocket not challenge the defense. They stopped doing it because he got gun shy and it made the defenses job easier. Petras is much better on bootlegs than Padilla.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT