ADVERTISEMENT

Why I remain optimistic about the future and why I think the Hawks will be the favorites next season

LaxHawk174

HR All-American
Jan 15, 2014
Warning: Just like the title of this thread, this post will be rather lengthy and could get possibly rant-y as I tend to do sometimes. I would also like to point out, that by making this thread I am in NO WAY giving up on the Hawks this season despite how Grim it looks with Stolls injury. This is in response to all the talk of regime change, not having the studs to get it done .. etc.

First off, I will be writing under the assumption that our starting lineup next year will have True Freshman Alex Marinelli slotted in at 165, as I think he is a super talent and his points will absolutely make a difference.
125 Gilman
133 Clark
141 Turk/Carton
149 Kemerer/Sorensen
157 Kemerer/Sorensen
165 Marinelli
174 Meyer
184 Brooks
197 Holloway (If Burak had taken a RS at some point, nobody would come close next year)
285 Stoll

First I want to point out FLO's P4P rankings. As inaccurate as some of you think they are, the guys on there are all pretty deserving. We currently have 3 Hawkeyes in the top 20 college wrestlers in the country p4p right now this season, 2 of them are JR's (Gilman and Clark) one is a SO (Sorensen), compared to Penn States 5. (Megaludis/McIntosh SR's, Nolf/Nickal FR, and Retherford SO). Next year we will each have 3 a piece. Going purely by attrition and the graduating SRs (obviously things could change at B1Gs and NCAAs this year) #8 Clark, #9 Gilman, #12 Sorensen vs #1 Retherford, #4 Nolf, and #13 Nickal. Gilman can take ground on Tomsello who is above him and Nolf can take ground on Imar who is above him. This is a solid core for any championship team. Also: I firmly believe that Kemerer, Marinelli, and Stoll will make their way onto this list during their careers. (Hopefully sooner than later.)

Next i'd like to address the lightweights, Gilman and Clark. We know Gilman will be Top 3 lockdown for next season. Gilman, Tomasello, Dance return of the big 4. I predict a 2nd consecutive Gilman/Tomasello final, a rematch of this seasons NCAA finals. Clark will be preseason #1, Garrett&Brewer are gone, it will be Clark and Richards battling for the title next season. But most of us already know what we have in these weights.

Now i'd like to address the most important part to our team title next season. 149-165. Whoever is at 149, I am penciling in as Top 3. You've got Retherford/Mayes/Tsirtsis coming back. If its Kemerer I'd likely place him at 3 with a chance for finals. He absolutely dominated Sueflohn in their match, then hit a wall which happens to even the best studs sometimes. The same guy who beat Mayes. It will depend on the form Tsirtsis comes back in. Sorensen is a finals lock if he's at 149 next season.

Whoever goes up to 157, I would pencil in at #4 to start behind Imar/Nolf/Smith. 157 Graduates #3 Miller/#4 Gannt/#6 Brascetta/#7 Pack/#11 Smith/#15 Cooper/#18 Welch. If you look at 157 there is nobody below those top 3 i listed, that I don't think either Sorensen or Kemerer wouldn't beat right away. I think they would be right there with Smith for the 3 spot. I also can't think of any other stud redshirts entering this weight from around the country that I haven't accounted for.

At 165, next year graduates half the weight class #1 Dieringer/#4 Rodrigues/#5 Perrotti/#8 Welch/#9 Wilson/#10 Staudenmeyer/#11 weatherman/#16 Fierro/#20 Pickett. The top guys at this weight next season will be I.Jordan/Lewis/Rohskopf/Possibly A. Valencia but I don't think he competed in any folkstyle this season so not sure on his weight. I think Bo Jordan moves up for sure as do many on the ohio state board, he looks like a shell of his former self this season sucking back down for the team. Of the top guys, I think Marinelli is far better on his feet than Lewis/Rohskopf but Valenica is really tough. Lewis is a demon on top, Marinelli's best option against him is to just pick neutral and pick him apart on his feet and build a good lead. I would slot Marinelli in as #3. I think I.Jordan may big brother him as i'm sure they have worked out plenty in the Graham room and camps whenever the Jordans are in town. Marinelli will be to us what Bo Jordan was to tOSU last year during their title run. A stud freshman who will high AA (3rd) and pick up bonus along the way.

We know what we have in Meyer and Brooks, All of the top guys at 174 return next year except #6 Butler/#8 Brunson/#9 Kent/#10 Ottinger/#12 Waters/#17 Barnes. I think Meyer will be in about the same range as I'm hoping for this year 5-8. But, a much needed supporting All american to go with our 6 High AA studs. Brooks I think will fill the same role as Meyer, a much needed supporting All American. But based on what i've seen in his career so far I have a hard time picking him to high AA. I predicted it all season long last year and this year, but he just doesn't get it done. 184 Graduates about half of the studs in this weight class, making it a big easier road to hoe. #2 Brown/#6 Avery/#7 STauffer/#8 Zillmer/#14 Miller/#15 Thomas/#17 Courts/#20 Utley. This weight also adds bigger Z. Valencia who will be in the mix. I think Brooks will slide into 5-7 range next season, although I'm hoping i'm wrong and we see him higher.

Finally we get to our 6th and final high AA STOLLHOUSE. Hwt Graduates a fair amount of Talent with #1 Gwiazdowski/#5 Marsden/#10 Smith/#12 Wessell/#16 Stolfi/#17 Shaw/#18 Cabell. Returning are Walz/Coon/Snyder/Dejournette above Stoll. I think Stoll is better than Dejournette and he will slot in at #4 at this weight next season. I have full confidence he will rebound from this injury just like Telford did from his. If he is not able to AA this season, he will come back strong and be a 3x AA for us just like Big bob. Stoll will be right there competing for the pinnacle his JR/SR seasons.

I have purposefully left out 141 and 197 in my analysis because If i'm being honest, I haven't seen much out of them to indicate significant NCAA points from the two. But, much like Stoll from RS -> RSFR I would not rule out vast improvement.

That leaves us with 8 AA's in my estimation
Gilman Top 2
Clark Top 2
Sorensen Top 2
Kemerer Top 4
Marinelli Top 3
Meyer 5-8
Brooks 5-8
Stollhouse Top 4

This is a winning recipe. Although you all probably know me as an eternal optimistic, do any think that this is not realistic?

I like your optimism... I think Marinelli can finish anywhere in the top 4... not so sure about Kemerer. I would be excited if he could be an AA next year. Fairly accurate on the rest of the line-up. We need to see improvement from Brooks and Meyer.

Reactions: LaxHawk174
I also forgot to mention Joseph will likely be in that 165 group for PSU, but I still put Marinelli above him. My opinion of course.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Optimism is a good thing. We all want these guys to wrestle up to our expectations. It will still take some good luck and steady growth for this scenario to take place, but overall you can count me in. Yeah, let's do this!

Warning: Just like the title of this thread, this post will be rather lengthy and could get possibly rant-y as I tend to do sometimes. I would also like to point out, that by making this thread I am in NO WAY giving up on the Hawks this season despite how Grim it looks with Stolls injury. This is in response to all the talk of regime change, not having the studs to get it done .. etc.

First off, I will be writing under the assumption that our starting lineup next year will have True Freshman Alex Marinelli slotted in at 165, as I think he is a super talent and his points will absolutely make a difference.
125 Gilman
133 Clark
141 Turk/Carton
149 Kemerer/Sorensen
157 Kemerer/Sorensen
165 Marinelli
174 Meyer
184 Brooks
197 Holloway (If Burak had taken a RS at some point, nobody would come close next year)
285 Stoll

First I want to point out FLO's P4P rankings. As inaccurate as some of you think they are, the guys on there are all pretty deserving. We currently have 3 Hawkeyes in the top 20 college wrestlers in the country p4p right now this season, 2 of them are JR's (Gilman and Clark) one is a SO (Sorensen), compared to Penn States 5. (Megaludis/McIntosh SR's, Nolf/Nickal FR, and Retherford SO). Next year we will each have 3 a piece. Going purely by attrition and the graduating SRs (obviously things could change at B1Gs and NCAAs this year) #8 Clark, #9 Gilman, #12 Sorensen vs #1 Retherford, #4 Nolf, and #13 Nickal. Gilman can take ground on Tomsello who is above him and Nolf can take ground on Imar who is above him. This is a solid core for any championship team. Also: I firmly believe that Kemerer, Marinelli, and Stoll will make their way onto this list during their careers. (Hopefully sooner than later.)

Next i'd like to address the lightweights, Gilman and Clark. We know Gilman will be Top 3 lockdown for next season. Gilman, Tomasello, Dance return of the big 4. I predict a 2nd consecutive Gilman/Tomasello final, a rematch of this seasons NCAA finals. Clark will be preseason #1, Garrett&Brewer are gone, it will be Clark and Richards battling for the title next season. But most of us already know what we have in these weights.

Now i'd like to address the most important part to our team title next season. 149-165. Whoever is at 149, I am penciling in as Top 3. You've got Retherford/Mayes/Tsirtsis coming back. If its Kemerer I'd likely place him at 3 with a chance for finals. He absolutely dominated Sueflohn in their match, then hit a wall which happens to even the best studs sometimes. The same guy who beat Mayes. It will depend on the form Tsirtsis comes back in. Sorensen is a finals lock if he's at 149 next season.

Whoever goes up to 157, I would pencil in at #4 to start behind Imar/Nolf/Smith. 157 Graduates #3 Miller/#4 Gannt/#6 Brascetta/#7 Pack/#11 Smith/#15 Cooper/#18 Welch. If you look at 157 there is nobody below those top 3 i listed, that I don't think either Sorensen or Kemerer wouldn't beat right away. I think they would be right there with Smith for the 3 spot. I also can't think of any other stud redshirts entering this weight from around the country that I haven't accounted for.

At 165, next year graduates half the weight class #1 Dieringer/#4 Rodrigues/#5 Perrotti/#8 Welch/#9 Wilson/#10 Staudenmeyer/#11 weatherman/#16 Fierro/#20 Pickett. The top guys at this weight next season will be I.Jordan/Lewis/Rohskopf/Possibly A. Valencia but I don't think he competed in any folkstyle this season so not sure on his weight. I think Bo Jordan moves up for sure as do many on the ohio state board, he looks like a shell of his former self this season sucking back down for the team. Of the top guys, I think Marinelli is far better on his feet than Lewis/Rohskopf but Valenica is really tough. Lewis is a demon on top, Marinelli's best option against him is to just pick neutral and pick him apart on his feet and build a good lead. I would slot Marinelli in as #3. I think I.Jordan may big brother him as i'm sure they have worked out plenty in the Graham room and camps whenever the Jordans are in town. Marinelli will be to us what Bo Jordan was to tOSU last year during their title run. A stud freshman who will high AA (3rd) and pick up bonus along the way.

We know what we have in Meyer and Brooks, All of the top guys at 174 return next year except #6 Butler/#8 Brunson/#9 Kent/#10 Ottinger/#12 Waters/#17 Barnes. I think Meyer will be in about the same range as I'm hoping for this year 5-8. But, a much needed supporting All american to go with our 6 High AA studs. Brooks I think will fill the same role as Meyer, a much needed supporting All American. But based on what i've seen in his career so far I have a hard time picking him to high AA. I predicted it all season long last year and this year, but he just doesn't get it done. 184 Graduates about half of the studs in this weight class, making it a big easier road to hoe. #2 Brown/#6 Avery/#7 STauffer/#8 Zillmer/#14 Miller/#15 Thomas/#17 Courts/#20 Utley. This weight also adds bigger Z. Valencia who will be in the mix. I think Brooks will slide into 5-7 range next season, although I'm hoping i'm wrong and we see him higher.

Finally we get to our 6th and final high AA STOLLHOUSE. Hwt Graduates a fair amount of Talent with #1 Gwiazdowski/#5 Marsden/#10 Smith/#12 Wessell/#16 Stolfi/#17 Shaw/#18 Cabell. Returning are Walz/Coon/Snyder/Dejournette above Stoll. I think Stoll is better than Dejournette and he will slot in at #4 at this weight next season. I have full confidence he will rebound from this injury just like Telford did from his. If he is not able to AA this season, he will come back strong and be a 3x AA for us just like Big bob. Stoll will be right there competing for the pinnacle his JR/SR seasons.

I have purposefully left out 141 and 197 in my analysis because If i'm being honest, I haven't seen much out of them to indicate significant NCAA points from the two. But, much like Stoll from RS -> RSFR I would not rule out vast improvement.

Gilman Top 2
Clark Top 2
Sorensen Top 2
Kemerer Top 4
Marinelli Top 3
Meyer 5-8
Brooks 5-8
Stollhouse Top 4

This is a winning recipe. Although you all probably know me as an eternal optimistic, do any think that this is not realistic?
We would need to see PSUs lineup to compare, they will be the biggest obstacle.

I'd like Meyer and Brooks to move up and let Paddock and whoever else bulk to 174. Meyer is cutting a ton and I think Sammy will be fresher at 197 plus it clears out pretty good, could see him top 4 there.

Adding in current records for you're returners..lot of firepower coming back

[QUOTE="LaxHawk174,

Gilman 21-0
Clark - 19-1 **1 loss to #1 guy in OT
Sorensen - 23-0
Kemerer - 24-2 **RS
Marinelli - 200-4 **High school record :)
Meyer - 21-2
Brooks - 20-3
Stollhouse - 20-3

This is a winning recipe. Although you all probably know me as an eternal optimistic, do any think that this is not realistic?[/QUOTE]

I'd like Meyer and Brooks to move up and let Paddock and whoever else bulk to 174. Meyer is cutting a ton and I think Sammy will be fresher at 197 plus it clears out pretty good, could see him top 4 there.
I agree with that scenario, Look at how well Pfarr is doing at 197 and Brooks handled him last year. Brooks will have good success up a weight if he can put on the size. Meyer looked good against Miklus when he bumped up against him in the dual against Mizzou last year, but I'm not sure his chances of AAing at 184 are as good as they are at 174. Would need a bigger sample size. But his style is better suited for bigger and slower guys.

Agree completely, Lax. Still hoping for a miracle title this spring, but next year is when the Hawks get back on top, IMO.

Nice work!

Just a few other Big Ten guys I'm throwing out there to think about at the various weights.

Brian Murphy (MI-157): He was an All-American last year. This year just a shell of himself after being injured in first match of the year. If he comes back healthy he could make some noise.

Logan Massa (MI-165/174): Big time recruit coming off of redshirt. I am sure expectations are high in Wolverine-land.

Johnny Sebastian (NW-174): I know the Wildcat program is basically in shambles but as of now he is still listed on their roster and has an impressive prep resume.

It's worked for Pfarr this year. He looks like a new guy at 197.

Nice work!

Just a few other Big Ten guys I'm throwing out there to think about at the various weights.

Brian Murphy (MI-157): He was an All-American last year. This year just a shell of himself after being injured in first match of the year. If he comes back healthy he could make some noise.

Logan Massa (MI-165/174): Big time recruit coming off of redshirt. I am sure expectations are high in Wolverine-land.

Johnny Sebastian (NW-174): I know the Wildcat program is basically in shambles but as of now he is still listed on their roster and has an impressive prep resume.
Great catch on Massa! Completely forgot about him. He will definitely be among the top at 165. I wonder if he an Marinelli have ever met while in HS?
As for Murphy, I like Kemerer/Sorensens chances against him. Kemerer fires off quality attacks faster than my ex-wife tried to take half of my stuff. (I don't actually have an ex-wife) And Sorensen this season has basically a 100% conversion rate of leg attacks to finishes.. when he gets in on the leg, he finishes.

Massa is a stud. Going to be an AA right out of the gate. Has more talent than his brother and none of his tank issues.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
OP...I like the way you think and there is nothing there that is invalid IMO. There is definitely solid reason to be very optimistic next year. That being said..."next year" analyses almost always have a way of not going entirely according to plan. :D Time will tell, time will tell...

Super32 last year:

160:
1st: Fox Baldwin (Osceola, Fla.) dec. Alex Marinelli (St. Paris Graham, Ohio), 8-6

Ohio State/Virginia dual this year:

Varsity - Bo Jordan (Ohio State) over Fox Baldwin (Virginia) (TF 17-2 4:34)
--

2014 Walsh Ironman

1st Place Match
Alex Marinelli (St. Paris Graham OH) 54-2 won in sudden victory - 1 over Mason Manville (Blair Academy NJ) 7-1 (SV-1 3-1)

2015 Junior World Team trials

Garett Hammond (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club) won by decision over Mason Manville (NLWC) Dec 8-0

--

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be optimistic. I think you should. But expecting Alex Marinelli to finish top 3 next year is insane.

As a lifelong Cub fan, I understand your point all too well, Old. That said, I haven't been as optimistic about our team title chances for the upcoming "next year" since the year of our last national team title. If we get/stay healthy, I think it sets up very well for us.

Super32 last year:

160:
1st: Fox Baldwin (Osceola, Fla.) dec. Alex Marinelli (St. Paris Graham, Ohio), 8-6

Ohio State/Virginia dual this year:

Varsity - Bo Jordan (Ohio State) over Fox Baldwin (Virginia) (TF 17-2 4:34)
--

2014 Walsh Ironman

1st Place Match
Alex Marinelli (St. Paris Graham OH) 54-2 won in sudden victory - 1 over Mason Manville (Blair Academy NJ) 7-1 (SV-1 3-1)

2015 Junior World Team trials

Garett Hammond (Nittany Lion Wrestling Club) won by decision over Mason Manville (NLWC) Dec 8-0

--

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be optimistic. I think you should. But expecting Alex Marinelli to finish top 3 next year is insane.

2015 Agon

Alex Marinelli won by dec over Josh Shields 9-4

2015 Dapper Dan

Joseph Smith won by dec over Josh Shields 3-2

You can make these common opponent comparisons all day long and draw 50 different conclusions. I'd be willing to bet that Marinelli will be a top 10 guy in the country from the get-go next season. Top 3 might be a stretch but matches from 20 months ago probably don't mean a lot at this point. Tyler Berger beat Jason Nolf after their junior years in high school and Nolf just teched him. I'd be shocked if Fox Baldwin's college career was anywhere close to Marinelli's for a variety of reasons.

Probably a bad sign if you guys are talking about next year heading into the Big Tens.... I would love Jimmy having 5 more years eligibility, good kid. I think he has a pretty successful post-season!

Can't we all just live in the moment together? How about I start a round of Kumbaya and you guys join in. Kumbaya my Lord Kumbaya.

Reactions: VRE
Suriano/Gilman - have to give strong edge to Iowa - MD
Cortez/Clark - another one in hawks corner - reg decision
Gulibon/Turk Carton - PSU with reg decision
Retherford/Sorenson - we'll see this weekend but at this point have to say Zain reg decision
Nolf/Kemerer - Nolf clear favorite - probably bonus - MD
Joseph/Marinelli - I say toss up
Nickal/Meyer - we will see this weekend but PSU fav by reg dec
McCutcheon/Brooks - another toss up
Cassar?/Hollobrook - toss up
Nevills/Stoll - gotta give Stoll reg dec here

should be fun!

Reactions: VRE
Suriano/Gilman - have to give strong edge to Iowa - MD
Cortez/Clark - another one in hawks corner - reg decision
Gulibon/Turk Carton - PSU with reg decision
Retherford/Sorenson - we'll see this weekend but at this point have to say Zain reg decision
Nolf/Kemerer - Nolf clear favorite - probably bonus - MD
Joseph/Marinelli - I say toss up
Nickal/Meyer - we will see this weekend but PSU fav by reg dec
McCutcheon/Brooks - another toss up
Nevills/Stoll - gotta give Stoll reg dec here

should be fun!
Fun matchups. I expect we'll be hearing from Rasheed next year in the 174-184 (or even 197) mix, and it will not be welcome news for most opponents.

Unless Hall is deferring a year, I think he's in the lineup for Penn State. And hasn't the scuttlebutt been Nolf being big and moving up a weight? I think Penn States best lineup would be Suriano, Gulibon, Cortez, Retherord, Joseph, Nolf, Hall, Nickal, Cassar/Rasheed, Nevills.

Unless Hall is deferring a year, I think he's in the lineup for Penn State. And hasn't the scuttlebutt been Nolf being big and moving up a weight? I think Penn States best lineup would be Suriano, Gulibon, Cortez, Retherord, Joseph, Nolf, Hall, Nickal, Cassar/Rasheed, Nevills.

Joseph has outgrown 157. He missed weight at two separate tournaments this season, including the Scuffle, and the last time he competed was at 165. If Nolf is too big for 157, then who fills in at 157 for Penn State would Manville then go as a True FR? It seems that Hall and Manville are deferring a year/taking a redshirt. Thats what the general idea seems to be from PSU fans. Will be interesting to see how 133/141 takes care of itself for Penn States lineup.

Joseph has outgrown 157. He missed weight at two separate tournaments this season, including the Scuffle, and the last time he competed was at 165. If Nolf is too big for 157, then who fills in at 157 for Penn State would Manville then go as a True FR? It seems that Hall and Manville are deferring a year/taking a redshirt. Thats what the general idea seems to be from PSU fans. Will be interesting to see how 133/141 takes care of itself for Penn States lineup.

Beitz has another year of left

Nolf's staying 157 and Hall is going to gray shirt and wrestle freestyle all year...at least that's the rumor.

I have it 4 and 4 and 2 toss ups I see some bonus points by PSU being the difference. It will be a close one though.

Suriano/Gilman - have to give strong edge to Iowa - MD Iowa
Cortez/Clark - another one in hawks corner - reg decision Iowa
Gulibon/Turk Carton - PSU with reg decision PSU
Retherford/Sorenson - we'll see this weekend but at this point have to say Zain reg decision PSU
Nolf/Kemerer - Nolf clear favorite - probably bonus - MD PSU
Joseph/Marinelli - Iowa
Nickal/Meyer - we will see this weekend but PSU fav by reg dec PSU
McCutcheon/Brooks - toss up
Nevills/Stoll - gotta give Stoll reg dec here Iowa

Suriano
Cortez
Gulibon
Retherford
Nolf
Joseph
Nickal
McCutcheon
Cassar?
Nevills

Agree on the lineup, better or worse?

2017 2016 Dual Results
Suriano Megaludis 0-3
Cortez Conaway 3-3
Gulibon Gulibon 6-3
Retherford Retherford 9-3
Nolf Nolf 12-3
Joseph Morelli 15-3
Nickal Nickal 18-3
McCutcheon McCutcheon 21-3
Cassar McIntosh 21-7
Nevills Nevills 24-7

Beitz has another year of left

Not accurate. He took a job and was announced with rest of seniors at senior night.

My uninformed opinion....
Hall and Manville will grey shirt at otc next year and wrestle a decent schedule under NLWC banner.

Nolf stays at 157, Joseph at 165, Nickal 174, Cutch 184

I think Rasheed bumps up and gives Cutch all he can handle but Cutch remains. Rasheed has the frame to be a small 197 if he is a gym rat. But that's a lot of calories and lunk time in 8 months.

I would go Cassar at 197 but there's a but with a wait and see on this one. Could be stout who was a good recruit and had an ok RS.

Love the looks of the dual next year. No doubt it will have both fans bases on the edge of their seats.

Not accurate. He took a job and was announced with rest of seniors at senior night.

My uninformed opinion....
Hall and Manville will grey shirt at otc next year and wrestle a decent schedule under NLWC banner.

Nolf stays at 157, Joseph at 165, Nickal 174, Cutch 184

I think Rasheed bumps up and gives Cutch all he can handle but Cutch remains. Rasheed has the frame to be a small 197 if he is a gym rat. But that's a lot of calories and lunk time in 8 months.

I would go Cassar at 197 but there's a but with a wait and see on this one. Could be stout who was a good recruit and had an ok RS.

Love the looks of the dual next year. No doubt it will have both fans bases on the edge of their seats.

Next year we will still have two weights that probably won't make the tournament for us-- Turk at 141 and Holloway at 197. Plus I doubt that Marinelli will wrestle, I think Brands will redshirt him. Also, their guys are ranked 1 and 2 while we're ranked 3 and 4. So we need to over achieve while Penn State has to underachieve which they don,t do { see Gulibon). Then throw in bonus points, which they do alot better than Iowa. We lose to them just on bonus points, so we need to step up big time just to beat them. Hopefully things can change next year but we've been saying that for the past 5 or 6 years. I know we can bounce back but alot has to go our way, let's hope it happens, go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT