ADVERTISEMENT

Why is baseball the worst officiated sport?

I would argue international soccer is worse (or at least CONCACAF) and it’s much more detrimental to the product. Watching a US team that only gets 5-10 goal scoring opportunities a game and have the refs take away just 1 is awful.

(Of course.... it would be less noticeable if the team was better)
I can't wrap my head around how soccer officials can impact a game often. Sure, I get it every now and again, but all they do is:
  • Say whos ball it is when it goes out of bounds (I presume they can screw it up occasionally)
  • Call offsides once or twice a game
  • Hand out a different colored card a couple times a game
  • Watch players pretend to die
  • Determine if the games goal or two actually went in the net

I don’t think it’s worse, it’s just that in baseball on,y one thing is happening at a time, so all eyes are on that. In other team sports you have multiple bodies flying around, there can be all kinds of missed calls but you notice it.

Plus, given that every pitch that isn’t swung at requires a call, there are a LOT of calls in a typical ball game.

Actually, they aren't "better than 95% on called pitches" and the facts prove it.

And they have a system that is significantly better that they don't use. And it can't be defended or argued with facts.

The statcast/FX reads are off. THey admit that. They don't account for different stances nor where the ball crosses the plate. You're using it as some gospel, but its not accurate at on the onset

The statcast/FX reads are off. THey admit that. They don't account for different stances nor where the ball crosses the plate. You're using it as some gospel, but its not accurate at on the onset

Off within around 1/3 of the diameter of a baseball, on average. Which is far, far better than what any ump does.

And I take nothing at "gospel", but I do tend to lean towards what is better. The human eye can't come close to the accuracy of Statcast. Can it be improved for every variant? Absolutely. But it's a far more accurate method of calling pitches than umps. Plus, they have it down to nearly instantaneous these days.

7wsMz.gif

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
I can't wrap my head around how soccer officials can impact a game often. Sure, I get it every now and again, but all they do is:
  • Say whos ball it is when it goes out of bounds (I presume they can screw it up occasionally)
  • Call offsides once or twice a game
  • Hand out a different colored card a couple times a game
  • Watch players pretend to die
  • Determine if the games goal or two actually went in the net
I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm guessing you're not a soccer fan, amirite?

Off within around 1/3 of the diameter of a baseball, on average. Which is far, far better than what any ump does.

And I take nothing at "gospel", but I do tend to lean towards what is better. The human eye can't come close to the accuracy of Statcast. Can it be improved for every variant? Absolutely. But it's a far more accurate method of calling pitches than umps. Plus, they have it down to nearly instantaneous these days.

The new strike zone creates opportunities for pitchers. High Point righthander Michael Bowden's first pitch of a late July start was a high fastball, high enough that catcher Matt Jones had to bring his mitt above his eye level to catch it. It was taken for strike one. Seeing that called a strike, Bowden went back there for a called strike two. He elevated a little higher on his third pitch for a swinging strike. Six pitches later, Bowden had thrown an immaculate inning: nine pitches, nine strikes, three strikeouts.

The new strike zone has been the downfall of other pitchers. Control artists who focus on widening the strike zone are much better off with a human calling balls and strikes.

"There are some pitchers that will never be able to work (to an automated strike zone). I was never an up-and-down pitcher. I was in-and-out. If in the first three innings I established that down and away pitch, by the fourth inning I got a half inch (off the plate). TrackMan won't give that to you," High Point pitching coach Frank Viola said. "Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and Frank Viola would not have had their careers because those pitches would have been called balls. We would have been walking everyone instead of getting called strikes that forced hitters to swing the bat.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...s-make-significant-impact-on-atlantic-league/

The new strike zone creates opportunities for pitchers. High Point righthander Michael Bowden's first pitch of a late July start was a high fastball, high enough that catcher Matt Jones had to bring his mitt above his eye level to catch it. It was taken for strike one. Seeing that called a strike, Bowden went back there for a called strike two. He elevated a little higher on his third pitch for a swinging strike. Six pitches later, Bowden had thrown an immaculate inning: nine pitches, nine strikes, three strikeouts.

The new strike zone has been the downfall of other pitchers. Control artists who focus on widening the strike zone are much better off with a human calling balls and strikes.

"There are some pitchers that will never be able to work (to an automated strike zone). I was never an up-and-down pitcher. I was in-and-out. If in the first three innings I established that down and away pitch, by the fourth inning I got a half inch (off the plate). TrackMan won't give that to you," High Point pitching coach Frank Viola said. "Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and Frank Viola would not have had their careers because those pitches would have been called balls. We would have been walking everyone instead of getting called strikes that forced hitters to swing the bat.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...s-make-significant-impact-on-atlantic-league/
Frank Viola was also the first person to be ejected from a game for arguing balls and strikes called by Trackman😂😂

The eyesight of the home plate umpire is crucial. Can he
actually see a baseball that travels 95 plus miles per hour?
The strike zone has become flexible with each hitter. Tall
players over 6' 2" have an expanded zone due to their size.
Players who are 5' 8" have a shorter zone. The problem is
that the umpire often fails to notice the difference.

As a longtime and admittedly old school baseball fan I much prefer an home plate ump with a more generous strike zone as I feel it brings about more swings and more balls in play.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I've seen a couple of Omaha Storm Chasers games under different situations. One where it was all robot calls; the home plate ump was notified what the call was and every pitch location was flashed on the scoreboard. Another where the ump called the pitches but each team had a certain number of challenges. With each challenge they would show the result on the scoreboard like a Wii Sports replay, same music, voice, and everything. I think both worked very well.

My God...so many people willing to hand over aspects of life to robots.

Just say no to M-5

Auto balls and strikes ≠ handing over aspects of life to robots
Amen. Needs to be done for the integrity of the game, too much at stake. The human eye/brain just isn't up to the task

Because interpretation doesn’t come into play in baseball.

Ball / Strike
Fair / Foul
Safe / out

Replay and computer generated strike zones make everybody at home the best umpire ever.

The eyesight of the home plate umpire is crucial. Can he
actually see a baseball that travels 95 plus miles per hour?
The strike zone has become flexible with each hitter. Tall
players over 6' 2" have an expanded zone due to their size.
Players who are 5' 8" have a shorter zone. The problem is
that the umpire often fails to notice the difference.

Only someone that has not worked the plate would say that. I will agree that a good ump is not going to notice a hitters height....since their height standing up has nothing to do with their top and bottom zone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT