ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Simon and Garfunkel's best song ever, The Boxer?

TheCainer

HB Legend
Sep 23, 2003
This song crosses all generations, in that it tells of the struggles of any young man in their respective generation, to achieve what all young men strive for; a place in today's world.

Are there any challengers from S&G's multitude of other songs that would defeat The Boxer as their greatest song ever?

If so, please elaborate. Please present your case.

Oddly my favorite S&G song was a cover of "Scarborough Fair." I have loved that song since I was about ten years old.

Here is a Sarah Brightman version:

The song itself lists a number of impossible tasks given to a former lover who lives in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. The "Scarborough/Whittingham Fair" variant was most common in Yorkshire and Northumbria, where it was sung to various melodies., with refrains resembling "parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme" and "Then she'll be a true love of mine."[

I can see where trading out your lover for her pretty daughter might resemble an impossible task so its use in the movie (The Graduate) soundtrack seems appropriate.

As an aside, certain of the lyrics appeared in "Girl From the North Country" written by Bob Dylan.

Last edited:
The final verse of that song is beautifully written. Poignant and sad, but then inspiring.

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains

Reactions: WSC72
This song crosses all generations, in that it tells of the struggles of any young man in their respective generation, to achieve what all young men strive for; a place in today's world.

Are there any challengers from S&G's multitude of other songs that would defeat The Boxer as their greatest song ever?

If so, please elaborate. Please present your case.

I know you are supposed to site sources and support your stance. But my answer is I just like it better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT