ADVERTISEMENT

Why we lost yet again

Sep 28, 2016
Offense: Play calling seemed to be bad. We have an advantage downfield again 2nd and 3rd string dbacks. instead of exploiting that anywhere, we are doing short passes ala Davis again...I cannot believe how many times I screamed today...why did you throw that pass. Either Brian is calling a shitty game or Nate is so afraid of making a mistake that he will not exploit the coverage downfield. The receivers had steps all day and he would not throw the ball. Man, so exasperating to see guys open and we check to the back. The slant was open all freaking day...and how often did we use it?

Defense: Gap integrity was horrible at every level, but the linebackers were abysmal. I cannot believe how often they were out of position. But not helped by the line missing their assignments so often that a very average FRESHMAN back torched them for a shitload of yards. For those of you who preach Epenesa snaps, he let the back move outside multiple times today. How did they not get home any more often against a very average offensive line. The defense was not nearly what they needed to be and they got beat by inferior talent on not complicated schemes...they simply did not rise to the occasion.

Overall, the offense was bad, but Iowa would have won if the defense would just play assignment football.

Reactions: BDJHawk
I don't think the play calling was all that bad. When Nate is is afraid/unsure/uncomfortable/hurt/incompetent as he's been recently, the call looks bad. It honestly seemed like he'd give MAYBE a two-count before dumping down to the safety valve. I have no idea what has caused him to do that, but his play has been trending backwards significantly, IMO.

Reactions: BDJHawk and BG2004
Offense: Play calling seemed to be bad. We have an advantage downfield again 2nd and 3rd string dbacks. instead of exploiting that anywhere, we are doing short passes ala Davis again...I cannot believe how many times I screamed today...why did you throw that pass. Either Brian is calling a shitty game or Nate is so afraid of making a mistake that he will not exploit the coverage downfield. The receivers had steps all day and he would not throw the ball. Man, so exasperating to see guys open and we check to the back. The slant was open all freaking day...and how often did we use it?

Defense: Gap integrity was horrible at every level, but the linebackers were abysmal. I cannot believe how often they were out of position. But not helped by the line missing their assignments so often that a very average FRESHMAN back torched them for a shitload of yards. For those of you who preach Epenesa snaps, he let the back move outside multiple times today. How did they not get home any more often against a very average offensive line. The defense was not nearly what they needed to be and they got beat by inferior talent on not complicated schemes...they simply did not rise to the occasion.

Overall, the offense was bad, but Iowa would have won if the defense would just play assignment football.

Don’t forget special teams punt return. You cannot let the ball land on the punts then roll for 10 to 15 yards and negate any good field position you had by doing this. Then the coaches don’t make a change and let 14 continue to do this over and over again. KF needs to get pissed off ala Nick Saban, chew some Levar Woods ass then tell him to put a guy back there that will catch the damn ball, aka IMR since he was about the only one trying to win the god damn ball game.

Three years in a row where Iowa has managed to score only 10 points against an average Northwestern defense. Northwestern has scored 48 points in those three games and won them all. The defense was pretty poor today especially the linebackers - no discipline today, but the offense was terrible. Two fumbles when the game is on the line tells the story of this team. This team just doesn’t know how to win .....

On the flip side - Northwestern won the west. This just fuels the fire about how bad the west is. This is bad news for a potential one loss tOSU or UM team in the Big Ten championship game because Winning this game won’t be viewed as a big win unless they win by 50.

Three years in a row where Iowa has managed to score only 10 points against an average Northwestern defense. Northwestern has scored 48 points in those three games and won them all

Not sure what you're thinking of, but this is wrong. See 2016

Stanley is not getting it done period. Eventually it brings the team down. He misses guys or sees them but does not throw it. His accuracy is not sufficient. In this game as well, the run blocking stunk but teams will rightfully make Stanley beat them. The linebackers were very poor and D-line not a ton better. The coaches were gutless at times and even though the backs need to hold onto the ball, even calling a run at the end was stupid given the game situation and our lack of success all game. Piss poor performance for sure.

Reactions: hawkhorn
The NW game looks the same every year 17-10, 14-10. It's amazing how they will roll out their DE into the QB's face every time we call play action.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT