ADVERTISEMENT

Will Campbell wait for the Iowa job to open?

fJK3T-gm_400x400.jpg

Mostly just don’t wanna stare at this grill much.

You all are so full of yourselves thinking that either the Iowa or the Nebraska jobs are super desirable in today’s climate. Campbell leaves ISU FOR ONLY ONE OF THESE THREE ND, tOSU, OR MICH.
But past hires suggest ISU was never a desirable job. Taking a gamble on a Toledo coach that panned out doesn't count.

If I was an ISU fan, I would pray to all that is holy that Campbell doesn't leave.

With the current climate of college football, conference realignment, the most desirable jobs ARE in the B1G and SEC. Methinks you need to bring your perspective up to speed.

But past hires suggest ISU was never a desirable job. Taking a gamble on a Toledo coach that panned out doesn't count.

If I was an ISU fan, I would pray to all that is holy that Campbell doesn't leave.

With the current climate of college football, conference realignment, the most desirable jobs ARE in the B1G and SEC. Methinks you need to bring your perspective up to speed.
While I think you’re probably right, if teams like Iowa don’t use all their money and don’t take advantage of NIL, I’m not sure it’s the advantage you think it is.

Campbell isn't going to Nebbie, would never come to Iowa and probably isn't leaving the Aggers for anybody but maybe ND/OSU/Mich/PSU. The Aggers are going to make him King; build him a statue and name streets and buildings after him. Their concern should be on the performance of ND and PSU in the next couple of years and the possibility those jobs come open...which doesn't appear likely now but its a long season and things change at schools that expect to win championships.

First, I don't think Campbell likes Iowa very much, if at all (although he and Kirk seemed to share a cordial enough handshake after Saturday's game).

Second good money at ISU and is likely due to receive some nice raises as he has some nice seasons and other schools come courting.

Third, he likes ISU and living in Ames with his wife and children. If they are happy he will feel good about that.

Fourth, the near future membership of the Big 12 puts his program in a position to win plenty of games.

Fifth, while the Big Ten and SEC TV deals will allow their schools to pay coaches more, people have been known to turn down higher paying jobs, especially if there is a lack of talent and the possibility of a fast hook involved. If Purdue offered him more money, why the hell would he go there?

Sixth, as mentioned above he probably has a short list of schools he would leave ISU for. Obviously, to date none of them have offered Campbell or his agent a job.

Last edited:
You all are so full of yourselves thinking that either the Iowa or the Nebraska jobs are super desirable in today’s climate. Campbell leaves ISU FOR ONLY ONE OF THESE THREE ND, tOSU, OR MICH.
ND will be open after next season.

Well, if that’s true, then he won’t be leaving Iswho, since he won’t get coaching offers from those 3 schools.

Reactions: Thommystud

1. I wouldn't want him.
2. If you truly believe that he would only go to one of those three schools you're delusional. If that were true, he'd be the dumbest man on the planet.

Reactions: littlez
Campbell would be a fool to leave ISU unless it was an obvious upgrade. ISU doesn’t even expect a Conference Championship and wouldn’t even consider a National Championship. Winning your Super Bowl once a decade. 6 wins or more a year and you’re golden. Who would leave that? Plus he gets the best tap water in the state.

It’s also crazy to think he would turn down the Iowa job in this hypothetical situation. The expectations are a little higher but everything else is hands down better.
IMHO any coach would be a fool to turn down a program that has only had 2 head coaches in 40 some years, with marginal success. There’s a reason Hayden and Kirk never went to “greener pastures” when they had the chance. Job security!
If Campbell came in with his offensive staff and somehow convinced PP, Woods and some of the other talented staff to stick around, he’d have a hell of a team.
Of course this is all hypothetical and would never happen, but I could see him being successful here, and that would be absolute agony for ISU fans, which I’m fine with.

• Haha
Reactions: Goldencard
Thanks. We've had a rough time here the past few weeks. I really needed a good laugh...

ND will be open after next season.
Could be open even before this season ends. New head coach is 0-3 and no coach has ever started 0-3 in his career at ND. Campbell is like KF at the beginning of his career with a little bit of success, that bright shiny new penny. Gotta strike while the iron is hot. And before B12 gets relegated to G status as a league once more conferences re-align.

• Haha
Reactions: Goldencard
Could be open even before this season ends. New head coach is 0-3 and no coach has ever started 0-3 in his career at ND. Campbell is like KF at the beginning of his career with a little bit of success, that bright shiny new penny. Gotta strike while the iron is hot. And before B12 gets relegated to G status as a league once more conferences re-align.
B12 looks good IMO. The playoff expansion saved their ass.

only thing that will matter is making the playoff and the Big12 path is beating Baylor and Oklahoma St.

they’d a hell of a lot easier than Iowa’s path will be in a couple years.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
I think it will be interesting to see what Campbell decides.
With the proposed playoff alignment it seems to me that ISU will have a much easier path to the play-off than Iowa or Nebraska or anybody in the Big 10 besides OSU, Michigan, and perhaps PSU, and USC. There's just more blue bloods in the Big 10, but if you win the Big 12 you are in. Baylor doesn't seem that insurmountable.
That said I think the disparity in revenues between SEC and the Big 10 and the rest of college football will have long term implications. These schools will have advantages in exposure, facilities, ability to pay staff, and benefits to players, but it will take time to realize these benefits.

Iowa State just becomes more of a stepping stone. The proven coaches will work themselves into Big Ten and SEC jobs and the up and comers not so well known will need to go through the ranks on the way up and Iowa State will be a mid job on the way to the top level.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT