ADVERTISEMENT

Will SP get WR help?

Petras was much more accurate by eliminating the high throws and the occasional throw short and into the turf. I havent re-watched the game but there did seem to be some drops. I think some of it is Ragaini, KJohnson and some others have not been practicing at and only recently. Then to go out under the lights it was probably difficult.

But as you said, when when the passing game is so suspect, the receivers really need to catch about everything they get two hands on.

I think he will get help from the WRs. Getting guys back and getting the timing back in a rainy, delayed game had to be a bit tough. The question is will he get more help from the Oline.....that is where it is needed the most. If we can run the ball and pass protect life gets a little better.

It was Nevada, period. Petras is bad, and our receivers probably wouldn’t play for any other team. Conference play is going to be ugly.
This x100….just like Kirk wanted all the sunshine and rainbow bros are talking about how Petras really improved!

It was one of the worst football teams to ever step foot into Kinnick. If Petra’s plays well the next two weeks…then we can talk.

• Haha
Reactions: pistachio1999
SP was much more accurate against Nevada. Not accurate at all against SDSU and ISU. Yes, the receivers, as a unit, weren't good - exception being "the III" with a great TD catch on a fair thrown ball.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
SP was much more accurate against Nevada. Not accurate at all against SDSU and ISU. Yes, the receivers, as a unit, weren't good - exception being "the III" with a great TD catch on a fair

SP was much more accurate against Nevada. Not accurate at all against SDSU and ISU. Yes, the receivers, as a unit, weren't good - exception being "the III" with a great TD catch on a fair thrown ball.
The catch by Ragaini was the best catch of the day. He took the ball out of the defensive backs hands.

Reactions: pink shizzle
This x100….just like Kirk wanted all the sunshine and rainbow bros are talking about how Petras really improved!

It was one of the worst football teams to ever step foot into Kinnick. If Petra’s plays well the next two weeks…then we can talk.
You guys bitched like little kids he couldn't hit an open receiver, so why the F does it matter who they played in that case. Open is open right? He hit them.

Now say, will Petras get any help from the WR’s & read this post aloud… & let that simmer on low heat for a while..
I’m more prone to think that Iowas QB & WR development and Offensive game plan is more the issue than receivers helping the QB.. Charlie transfers and is not only starting but also racking up a bunch of yards and receptions this year ..

if SP wasn’t loved by and in love with KF and BF so much could he have maybe decided to pack it up after a couple very sup par years and have done something similar as far as QB rating go??? 🤔 We’ve seen QB regression before this isn’t new, it’s not just the WR’s being able to help the QB..

You know...I noticed something the other day watching good teams. When their QBs drop back to pass...he's not running for his life. I thought that was the norm...but I guess it's only Iowa. Honestly, in all seriousness, I watched Stroud go through four progressions and still had time. Same thing at Michigan...Penn State.

You Petras haters are like alcoholics. You keep going back to the same monkey on your back (Petras). You need to look at your real problem...our offensive line has completely sucked.

An offensive line against a team like Nevada should be able to give the QB time to throw...go through multiple progressions...and deliver it. They had three sacks and several QB pressures. None of those sacks were on Petras...all of them were complete whiffs by OL and a back responsible for blitz pick up. I saw 7 complete whiffs in the passing game Saturday...that's seven times an OL failed to get a hand on the defender across from him...never mind getting beat...or a guy working his way through your block...they never touched them. It's also happening in the run game.

Use your eyes...channel your anger where it belongs...give Petras a break as long as he plays like he did against Nevada.

Brecht looks like a good athlete but he also looked pretty lost out there as a receiver. On those long balls he had no idea how to track/adjust to the flight of the ball. Hopefully he can improve upon that going forward.
Yup, as did J-Johnson in limited action….😎

Reactions: jonesy5960
You know...I noticed something the other day watching good teams. When their QBs drop back to pass...he's not running for his life. I thought that was the norm...but I guess it's only Iowa. Honestly, in all seriousness, I watched Stroud go through four progressions and still had time. Same thing at Michigan...Penn State.

You Petras haters are like alcoholics. You keep going back to the same monkey on your back (Petras). You need to look at your real problem...our offensive line has completely sucked.

An offensive line against a team like Nevada should be able to give the QB time to throw...go through multiple progressions...and deliver it. They had three sacks and several QB pressures. None of those sacks were on Petras...all of them were complete whiffs by OL and a back responsible for blitz pick up. I saw 7 complete whiffs in the passing game Saturday...that's seven times an OL failed to get a hand on the defender across from him...never mind getting beat...or a guy working his way through your block...they never touched them. It's also happening in the run game.

Use your eyes...channel your anger where it belongs...give Petras a break as long as he plays like he did against Nevada.
Agreed. Take the name off the jersey and I've bashed my fair share of SP however give some credit where it's due.

We all know Nevada is bad, however a casual observer watching the QB play and not having 2 years of SP scar tissue might say "QB isn't too bad, OL doesn't do much for him, threw some good balls and WRs either dropped a few or didn't help him in their route running."

This season all comes down to OL play IMO. If SP continues to get hit, pressured and is frantic due to pressure, then he doesn't set his feet, locks onto target #1 and we see what we have seen before. If we decide to stop the OL rotation, put Elsbury at LG and maybe slide Colby back to RG and maybe insert Plumb at RT perhaps we can improve. This snapping business has got to stop too, either my eyes are tricking me or a few guys leave on the snap, then another OL a second later and then finally Jones and SP after that. Is this taught or something that QB whisperer brought over from Wisky since I've seen their OL do this too?

His OL is bad. Spencer is also bad. Both of these can be true.

Will SP give anyone help at this point he should now by feel if he need to step up in the pocket or roll out of it. It not like he hasn't had a bad OF line for most of his career here at Iowa.

You keep saying this nonsense, and it isn't true. Keegan Johnson, Bruce IV, and Brecht all were well-rated recruits coming out of high school, and are still very young.
I'm not going to be as negative as the poster you are responding to, but although these guys might be great athletes, they were not exactly highly sought wide receivers out of high school. Aside from Nebraska, none of these players had any other B1G offers and the only other P5 offers came from Kansas, ISU, and Kansas State. Brecht was rated as the 107th WR and Bruce was the 21st ranked athlete. Keagan was the 49th ranked receiver in his class. Now they might all end up being very good, but right now they are not. As you said, they are young. KJ is still learning and still looks hampered physically. Brecht looked totally lost out there trying to track/adjust to the long balls that a better receiver would have caught. Bruce is still learning as well and is currently ranked as the 388th best receiver on PFF. I actually think he might end up having more success as a return man than a receiver.

The bottom line is that the person you responded to is not entirely off base. Iowa doesn't really have a go to receiver right now and there are very few P5 programs with a weaker WR corps than Iowa right now.

It’s not the same kids. I think there are two current starters that started on the Citrus Bowl line?
Hmm...I'd have to look but wasn't this the Citrus Bowl OL? 3/5 are the same as today or maybe 2/5 if you include Plumb.
LT - Plumb
LG - Shooter
C - Linderbaum
RG - Colby
RT - DeJong

I think maybe Ince was in there somewhere and is a big loss.

You guys bitched like little kids he couldn't hit an open receiver, so why the F does it matter who they played in that case. Open is open right? He hit them.
Yep. Open is open. Against Michigan there won’t be guys open for a plethora of reasons, mainly because Michigan has a defense like we do. That’s where we need big plays.

Hmm...I'd have to look but wasn't this the Citrus Bowl OL? 3/5 are the same as today or maybe 2/5 if you include Plumb.
LT - Plumb
LG - Shooter
C - Linderbaum
RG - Colby
RT - DeJong

I think maybe Ince was in there somewhere and is a big loss.
Richman in place of DeJong I believe. 3 starters from that game are playing today plus DeJong getting plenty of minutes last year and this one. The Kentucky game was a head fake with their players being out and these guys simply haven't developed like people had hoped. The only solid player from that line was Linderbaum. Losing him and inserting Jones has only highlighted the problems with the rest.

Brecht looks like a good athlete but he also looked pretty lost out there as a receiver. On those long balls he had no idea how to track/adjust to the flight of the ball. Hopefully he can improve upon that going forward.
I'd agree. I was really hoping to see him high point those balls, and they were obviously making an effort to use his size. As you said though he didn't track the balls well in the air, or make any type of play on the ball.

Can anyone pinpoint why they were so effective against Kentucky and just absolutely lost this season?
Tyler Linderbaum blocked two or three guys every play. Honestly...he's missed big time...but the two new starters...Jones and Stephens have really struggled...and others, Dunker/De Jong have also struggled. Like others are saying...Colby is out of position and playing like it...Richmond got hurt in camp and is just rounding into playing form.

I think we have to get to this group:

Richmond
Elsbury
Jones
Colby
Plumb

Or

Richmond
Dunker
Elsbury
Colby
Plumb

Honestly...I like the second group best...but Dunker has struggled against Nevada a bit. He's got the best upside...and I'm just not sold on Jones at center. He needs to play through the whistle...and maintain leverage and stay with his blocks.

Are we seriously talking about Petras being a good QB now after one AVERAGE game against a JV team after 10 horrible games in a row prior to that? Listen I hope it continues, for him personally and for the team - but my goodness the fickle group of Petras supporters are all of a sudden back out in full force it seems. We just need to level set here… 1) it was one game. 2) It was Nevada. 3) It was an average game for a QB. 4) every QB in the country has WRs that occasionally drop balls and an OL that might ask him to move around in the pocket. 5) he still has not led a score drive of consequence. He11 2 of the 3 TDs against Nevada were solely a result of Kaleb Johnson long runs.

The WRs and OL are not going to play perfectly. Just like we are not asking Petras to play perfectly. A 65% completion percentage should not be a high bar, yet here we are.

I could see your point if you said offenses, you lost me with team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT