ADVERTISEMENT

Will the new Big 10 teams give more motivation to Kirk

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
The Pac 12 teams coming into the Big are noted for being pretty fast teams that may play more spread and 5 wide receiver sets. Normally Iowa plays those types of teams when they play OSU and in bowl games. I wonder if Kirk feels he needs to up the recruiting results for more speed, higher ranked recruits, especially to get a more high powered offense.

Before Hayden the hawk defense looked slower than many Big 10 opponents, then Fry started getting some speed on the back 7 on defense. Fry and Kirk never have had a stable full of fast receivers and even burner running backs. But they have been fast enough.

Will the hawks need to upgrade their speed somewhat and some other aspects with the new competition?

Do you know if Kirk goes on the recruiting road a lot or mainly meets with recruits when they visit?

The Pac 12 teams coming into the Big are noted for being pretty fast teams that may play more spread and 5 wide receiver sets. Normally Iowa plays those types of teams when they play OSU and in bowl games. I wonder if Kirk feels he needs to up the recruiting results for more speed, higher ranked recruits, especially to get a more high powered offense.

Before Hayden the hawk defense looked slower than many Big 10 opponents, then Fry started getting some speed on the back 7 on defense. Fry and Kirk never have had a stable full of fast receivers and even burner running backs. But they have been fast enough.

Will the hawks need to upgrade their speed somewhat and some other aspects with the new competition?

Do you know if Kirk goes on the recruiting road a lot or mainly meets with recruits when they visit?

Based on Pro days, combine times, & the NFL draft we gave one of the faster defense in college football.

As for the PAC 12, did they play much defense?

We definitely need to continue to up our recruiting game on offense in particular, but I think we’ll be ok!

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
I think they are always looking to upgrade speed/athleticism...The results are what they are.. Never thought they go after kids that don't atleast have some potential...some develop/some don't..I don't think the overall "philosophy" changes...They have obviously been "active" in the portal recently. The funds available will have a big impact on who they target/land.

My personal feelings suggest that Oregon and Washington's additions to the B1G were the nail in the coffin for Kirk. Couple that with how things are setting up this year. The portal has turned the sport into the wild west, the schedule is easy as it's been in years, the last year for divisions, being the front runner to win the west, and next year we'll have the addition of the new teams.

I think this will be Kirk's last hurrah. Get to the B1G; win and be the champs and play in the playoffs, or lose and play in the Rose Bowl. Not a bad way to end your 24 years of coaching.

I think it’ll make retirement come quicker. Sure he doesn’t enjoy what CFB has become.
That is an interesting take on the situation. Kirk will definitely know more about Brian's future after this season. If the offense does really well and Cade is staying around another year to up his draft standing showing consistently very good play then Brian is still here and Kirk may coach five more years to give Brian time to "settle" move to a head coaching job, etc.

If the offense sucks again then Brian might be gone (notice how Barta will not be around to enforce his contract items) and Kirk says the hell with it.

• Haha

I think it’s a great question/thought. No matter who is coaching the Hawks (Kirk for a few more years then whoever after that) I really feel coaching is the key. We will be able to get guys that have the speed, strength, etc. in my mind it is coaching them up to the next level which we do today. The next FB coaching change will be monumental to our success for another 15–20 years. Interesting times.

• Haha
I think they are always looking to upgrade speed/athleticism...The results are what they are.. Never thought they go after kids that don't atleast have some potential...some develop/some don't..I don't think the overall "philosophy" changes...They have obviously been "active" in the portal recently. The funds available will have a big impact on who they target/land.
This, Kirk has his set ways and are proven over the yrs. Execution is the key for everything n his mind.
Not much change but tweaking here and there.

• Haha
I think there was a coach recently that came into the BIG and talked about how the BIG would have to adjust to HIS offense. That didn’t work out so well for him. I think Iowa and the rest of the teams that actually play good D will be just fine.

scott_sad.gif

Will the new Big 10 teams give more motivation to Kirk​

Hilarious question. Had to be pulled kicking and screaming into the portal. Still has the worst OC in college football, KF's fault, not BF's, after being dead last in offense. Still won't commit to bringing in a dual threat QB although Iowa hasn't produced a pro style QB in his tenure. Iowa plays college football, win more college games and maybe a league title, just for a start.

• Wow

Will the new Big 10 teams give more motivation to Kirk​

Hilarious question. Had to be pulled kicking and screaming into the portal. Still has the worst OC in college football, KF's fault, not BF's, after being dead last in offense. Still won't commit to bringing in a dual threat QB although Iowa hasn't produced a pro style QB in his tenure. Iowa plays college football, win more college games and maybe a league title, just for a start.

I for one am super glad they irritate you so much. Makes it easier to be in here knowing some of you live & die by the decisions of a college football coach!

60% career winning percentage is the magic number for the Hall of Fame. To get there this year, Ferentz would need to be:

11-2 (somehow missing the conference championship and going to a non-playoff bowl)
11-3 (including conference championship appearance and single bowl game or semifinal loss)
12-3 (including conference championship appearance and national championship game appearance)

It would take one heck of a good year - but would make for a nice way to leave the program.

I think the style disparity is way over-blown and if anything it will be much harder on the minority (west coast teams) than the majority (existing B1G teams). First of all, nobody is going to scheme their way to dominance in this league. There are way too many really good players and coaches for that to happen. So these teams can trick themselves all they want but aside from a play here and there or maybe even a game every once in a while, but 99% of all the games are going to be won by the same metrics; who can run the ball, who can stop the run and the turnover margin. Second, the adjustment for a northern team like Wisconsin to go out west and play in California in any month is a hell of a lot easier than a California team going to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, MSU, etc. in November. Third, it is not going to be much of an adjustment for the existing B1G teams, if at all, for the "speed" of the west coast teams. There is plenty of speed, even at lowly Iowa, across the board at a lot of B1G teams. But, can those west coast teams battle in the trenches like they are going to have to, and not just to Iowa, but add in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois over the course of a full season? That will remain to be seen. Fourth, jet lag "ain't no joke" when traveling west to east across time zones. Is that the only factor I would consider if I were to be making a bet (which I don't)? Of course not, but it is just something else to add to the mix.

I think if Kirk is in the 11 win vicinity this season, he retires.

I think the longevity + new cfb landscape has him ready to head out. Just needs to end it with a bang.
I think he retires at the end of the season no matter what.

1. New AD

2. One last ride with BF

3. Expansion in 2024.

4. Growing NIL issues. Perhaps government regs.

5. He's 68.

I think he retires at the end of the season no matter what.

1. New AD

2. One last ride with BF

3. Expansion in 2024.

4. Growing NIL issues. Perhaps government regs.

5. He's 68.
If Brian doesn't obviously have a much better offense, he will bow out after the season. He won't make his Dad defacto fire him. I don't expect that to happen, because I expect a much improved offense on the field being driven by leadership on the field and much much better execution starting with the OL.

Kirk has nothing else to do, he has stated this. I expect him to check out around age 72 or 73 unless significant health issues present for him or Mary. I would suspect he would spend more time with grandkids when he retires since no other real hobbies.

Kirk Ferentz’s life revolves around family and football and retiring would leave huge void

3e823fd583177571bce0cd0ef806a7c3
Pat Harty brian-ferentz, Kirk Ferentz January 15, 2022

By Pat Harty
IOWA CITY, Iowa
– A few years ago, Kirk Ferentz was asked how he would spend a one-year sabbatical away from his job as the Iowa football coach.

Ferentz said he would probably spend the year touring the country and watching other college and professional football teams conduct their practices.

I remember thinking, ‘wow, Kirk’s whole life revolves around football.”

The fact that Ferentz would want to spend a year away from his job with his days still consumed by football says a lot about him as a person.

Because it seems pretty obvious that outside of his family, football is what matters the most to the 66-year old Ferentz, and it’s not even close.

His life is consumed by the game, and his family is so embedded in that lifestyle to where it’s easy to understand why Ferentz still wants to coach into his 70s.

Iowa announced an extension to Ferentz’s contract on Friday that will run through the 2029 season.
Ferentz will be 74-years old when the contract expires, and he will have spent 40 years as a member of the Iowa coaching staff, including 31 years as head coach, if he coaches through the contract.

News of the extension, which will pay Ferentz $7 million annually, not surprisingly drew a mixed reaction from Iowa fans.

Some were pleased to know that Ferentz has no plans to retire anytime soon, while others were concerned that Ferentz is only sticking around for personal gain, and to create a scenario in which his son, Iowa offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, will ultimately succeed him as head coach.

Kirk Ferentz never has said publicly that he wants his son to replace him as head coach, but it’s reasonable to think that he might want that to happen, and it would make no sense for him to say it publicly, especially with the Iowa offense the weak link to the team right now.

3462-300x167.jpg

Kirk Ferentz (left) and Brian Ferentz look on from the Iowa bench at Kinnick Stadium.

The Iowa offense would have to show significant improvement under Brian Ferentz for him to have a realistic shot at succeeding his father, or so it would seem.

Kirk Ferentz now has eight years remaining on his contract, and that will provide plenty of time for Brian Ferentz to fix the offense.

The extension will also help to withstand the negative recruiting in which other schools try to scare recruits about Kirk Ferentz’s age and about the likelihood of him retiring before they would finish playing at Iowa.
And while trying to pave the way for his son to succeed him as head coach might have been one of the motivating factors behind this latest extension for Kirk Ferentz, the biggest factor would seem to be that Kirk Ferentz doesn’t really have anything to retire to.

His life revolves around family and football, and his job makes it easy for Ferentz to enjoy both.
In addition to his son being his offensive coordinator, his son in law, Tyler Barnes, is also his recruiting director.
Some have accused Kirk Ferentz of nepotism, but this setup couldn’t have happened without the University of Iowa’s approval.

The timing of the extension makes sense with Iowa having won the Big Ten West Division and 10 games overall this past season. Iowa has won 10 games in two of the last three seasons.

The eight years on the new contract seems a little excessive, but that’s been a theme throughout Ferentz’s 23-year reign, especially since Gary Barta became the Iowa athletic director in 2006.

Barta seems to negotiate with the belief that Ferentz is looking to leave and already has one foot out the door, so it’s necessary to do whatever it takes to convince Ferentz to stay.

20201031_IOWAFOOTBALLVSNORTHWESTERN0026-300x210.jpg

Iowa Hawkeyeshead coach Kirk Ferentz puts his hand on the should of Iowa Hawkeyes running back Leshon Williams (4) as he kneels before their game against the Northwestern Wildcats Saturday, October 31, 2020 at Kinnick Stadium. (Brian Ray/hawkeyesports.com)

Ferentz also has vowed to fix the problems that caused the racial unrest during the summer of 2020, and this extension will certainly give him more time do that because a culture doesn’t change in just a year or two.
But again, the biggest motivator for this latest extension would seem to be that Kirk Ferentz has no interest in retiring because he still loves the daily grind of being a head coach and almost everything that comes with it.
The money is pretty good, too.

He also must have the blessing and support of his wife, Mary.

For some, especially those who love their job and are paid handsomely, the thought of retiring can be a scary and depressing.

Maybe coaching helps Kirk Ferentz stay young in ways besides his age.

It gives him a purpose and goals to achieve on a daily basis, whereas that wouldn’t be the case if he retired.
Ferentz isn’t an avid golfer, nor does he appear to have many hobbies or a desire to get into broadcasting as many coaches do after they retire.

It also seems that if Ferentz wanted to leave Iowa for a different coaching opportunity that he would’ve left by now because he’s had chances to leave, both in college and in the NFL.

Ferentz has dedicated most of his life to coaching football, and has taken his family along for the ride with great rewards and no resistance.

He also has won enough games to justify staying in coaching for this long as Iowa has a 63-25 record since the start of the 2015 season.

Kirk Ferentz is a football coach and a family man and he doesn’t seem interested in the slightest in seeing what life would be like without football. The thought might even scare him a little bit.
That’s what this latest extension seems to be saying more than anything else.

Motivate him to quit. KF wants nothing to do with a brutal conference schedule, especially the long road games. Playing at Oregon and at USC and even at Washington will be like playing at OhioSt. And we know how those go. Throw in Michigan, PennSt and Whisky. He is done. It’s going to be ugly. It’s 50/50 vs bad teams like Huskers and Illini, now this. Done.

Motivate him to quit. KF wants nothing to do with a brutal conference schedule, especially the long road games. Playing at Oregon and at USC and even at Washington will be like playing at OhioSt. And we know how those go. Throw in Michigan, PennSt and Whisky. He is done. It’s going to be ugly. It’s 50/50 vs bad teams like Huskers and Illini, now this. Done.

Oh it’s Dr Phil Douche? Howdy buddy? So KF is quitting when, I want a piece of that action.

Oh you we’re just being a douche canoe, who knew!

With the retirement of GB this year, the chances of Brian moving up to head coach are gone. All the headaches with NIL, the transfer portal, NCAA investigations etc are not in Kirks comfort zone. A good run this year and he bows out. Not sure he gives a sh#t about Hall of Fame recognition. Kirk coaches/lives with an old school set of values and thats what matters to him. Glad he's coached the Hawkeyes for as long as he has.

• Haha
Jees, I knew things had been too quiet around here once K------, got the boot, or did someone just say douche bag, douche bag, douche bag?

My personal feelings suggest that Oregon and Washington's additions to the B1G were the nail in the coffin for Kirk. Couple that with how things are setting up this year. The portal has turned the sport into the wild west, the schedule is easy as it's been in years, the last year for divisions, being the front runner to win the west, and next year we'll have the addition of the new teams.

I think this will be Kirk's last hurrah. Get to the B1G; win and be the champs and play in the playoffs, or lose and play in the Rose Bowl. Not a bad way to end your 24 years of coaching.
I'm with you. I think KF wins the West, wins the BCG, makes it to the playoffs, and rides into the sunset.

• Haha
So your actually saying he hasn’t changed ?
The OP asked if he would change his recruiting style and go for faster, higher ranked recruits on offense. I said I wasn't holding my breath there. Sure, he has evolved in ways but he's been very public about how confident he is in his formula working. I don't expect much to change there

• Haha
we are talking about the guy that waved the white flag on playing OOC games with West coast teams because they got boat raced everytime they went. I'm sure he is thrilled

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT