ADVERTISEMENT

Will the new Big 10 teams give more motivation to Kirk

Do you? What version of Kirk are we on? He may not be the first to adapt, but he adapts. How many transfers did we take this year?
Haha, do you really think he wanted to do that or was it a product of the heat he and his son got for delivering the worst offense in the modern p5 era that cost the team a west title?

That fake "new Kirk"in '15 proved to be temporary BS after he was getting similar heat after that lackluster'10-14 stretch...maybe he is different going forward but based on what he's been for most of his quarter century I voiced my opinion that I wasn't holding my breath

The way this season is lining up with no OSU or Michigan and most of the other west teams going through coaching changes if it's a good season I won't be surprised if it's back to "told ya so". Could be wrong. We shall see

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan
The whole topic here is '24 and beyond, not what happened in the last 5 years. Try to keep up. This is going to be a tough transition for a lot of you krusty old farts, that is no mystery
So
‘What might happen’ rather than what actually has happened. Curious on what you are basing your opinion on.
Some of you Nostradamus types better put some money on the betting lines. You can make millions with your predictions.

The Pac 12 teams coming into the Big are noted for being pretty fast teams that may play more spread and 5 wide receiver sets. Normally Iowa plays those types of teams when they play OSU and in bowl games. I wonder if Kirk feels he needs to up the recruiting results for more speed, higher ranked recruits, especially to get a more high powered offense.

Before Hayden the hawk defense looked slower than many Big 10 opponents, then Fry started getting some speed on the back 7 on defense. Fry and Kirk never have had a stable full of fast receivers and even burner running backs. But they have been fast enough.

Will the hawks need to upgrade their speed somewhat and some other aspects with the new competition?

Do you know if Kirk goes on the recruiting road a lot or mainly meets with recruits when they visit?
You don't think Kirk is motivated to win? Iowa ranks 10th in winning percentage over the last five years. He is ranked third all time for Big Ten wins. Kirk's a winner in my book.

So
‘What might happen’ rather than what actually has happened. Curious on what you are basing your opinion on.
Some of you Nostradamus types better put some money on the betting lines. You can make millions with your predictions.
My point is I don't know what will happen but what happened in the last 5 years of being in the west where they played Michigan twice and OSU once in the regular season is pretty irrelevant. JFC

Last edited:
Haha, do you really think he wanted to do that or was it a product of the heat he and his son got for delivering the worst offense in the modern p5 era that cost the team a west title?

That fake "new Kirk"in '15 proved to be temporary BS after he was getting similar heat after that lackluster'10-14 stretch...maybe he is different going forward but based on what he's been for most of his quarter century I voiced my opinion that I wasn't holding my breath

The way this season is lining up with no OSU or Michigan and most of the other west teams going through coaching changes if it's a good season I won't be surprised if it's back to "told ya so". Could be wrong. We shall see

I know you hate this but I really don’t see why you’re a fan of this team. There are a lot of pretty smart fellas on here, not named “you“ who have seen quite a bit of change in KF in the last quarter century. You however haven’t seen any….or explain it away with “he had too”…what the hell does that even mean?! It doesn’t count then I guess!

I don’t get it… if I hated a team and a staff as much as you appear to, I definitely would pick a different team to follow!

So

He’s angry, not sure why he even follows the team. I certainly wouldn’t, but then again, I’m much more positive in my general outlook of things than he appears to be.

• Haha
You don't think Kirk is motivated to win? Iowa ranks 10th in winning percentage over the last five years. He is ranked third all time for Big Ten wins. Kirk's a winner in my book.
Oh I know he wants to win as he is quoted saying it that they want to win every game. What I am talking about is upping his and his coaches game because some high scoring offenses are coming into the league.

Playing against high scoring offenses means your defense might give up 24 points or more so is Kirk really motivated to do some things to get a 60th to 50th ranked offense????

Oh I know he wants to win as he is quoted saying it that they want to win every game. What I am talking about is upping his and his coaches game because some high scoring offenses are coming into the league.

Playing against high scoring offenses means your defense might give up 24 points or more so is Kirk really motivated to do some things to get a 60th to 50th ranked offense????

I do get your point, with that said, I think he believes his system works against everyone when it is all working together… And considering the way, they dominated USC in the Rose Bowl it’s kinda hard to argue with him!

Offense, defense & special teams!

This will be KF last year he is too stubborn to change. KF knows after this year he won't beable to pad wins against the worst division of p5 football, also his hand puppet GB is gone, he knows his days are numbered. being ranked near dead last in offense every year aint gonna cut it after next year. Mark my words this will be KF last year.

• Haha
This will be KF last year he is too stubborn to change. KF knows after this year he won't beable to pad wins against the worst division of p5 football, also his hand puppet GB is gone, he knows his days are numbered. being ranked near dead last in offense every year aint gonna cut it after next year. Mark my words this will be KF last year.

Dr. Phil????????????????????????????????

• Haha

Hmmmm, but…ah, he has….changed?! Have you been in a cave?!

What a dope!

PS….the new AD likes him, a lot !

Bill Murray Punch GIF
Dr. Phil????????????????????????????????

• Haha
My personal feelings suggest that Oregon and Washington's additions to the B1G were the nail in the coffin for Kirk. Couple that with how things are setting up this year. The portal has turned the sport into the wild west, the schedule is easy as it's been in years, the last year for divisions, being the front runner to win the west, and next year we'll have the addition of the new teams.

I think this will be Kirk's last hurrah. Get to the B1G; win and be the champs and play in the playoffs, or lose and play in the Rose Bowl. Not a bad way to end your 24 years of coaching.
I agree this doesn’t help encourage KF to stay. He does not like playing West Coast games; college football is insane right now with realignment and NIL and transfer portal… Winning in the Big 10 is going to be harder than Big 10 West games - sprinkled with a few East games… I’m thinking KF has 2 … maybe 3 years left. New AD coming onboard … If KF has a great season this very well could be his swan song …

• Wow
I do get your point, with that said, I think he believes his system works against everyone when it is all working together… And considering the way, they dominated USC in the Rose Bowl it’s kinda hard to argue with him!

Yes, they beat an above avg USC team in the Holiday bowl.

Stanford's speed and power totally dominated the hawks in the Rose Bowl, it was a mismatch.

• Haha

Rose bowl?

Iowa has won a lot of games under Kirk, this is no longer the Big 10 west.

At least Kirk made moves in the Portal

• Haha

Stanford's speed and power totally dominated the hawks in the Rose Bowl, it was a mismatch.

Not going to check but what do you want to wager, we ended up with more players in the NFL (a speed league) than Stanford did. Christian McCaferry roasted us….and we played poor.

Way back 100 years ago when LSU beat Ohio State pretty handily, I want to say around 2007 that’s when the great speed of the SEC was especially prevalent or at least it was in the media. Yes of course they still talk about it, but it used to be a much bigger deal…

Anyway The point is I had grown extremely tired of hearing that so over the years I researched backwards and looked at those teams. I assure you Ohio State didn’t lose that game because LSU was faster, it is way over done in the media!!!

• Haha
More motivation for Kirk to jam it down the throat of these swiss cheese defenses.

Why try to beat them at their own game? Like Iowa will ever compete with USC or Oregon in the speed game, lol. Be who you are and do it to the best of your ability.

That being said, of course you try to get every Kaleb Johnson, Kaleb Brown, Cooper DeJean, Xavier Nwankpa you can get.

Run. The. Ball.

So some wins don't count.

The Rose Bowl was a crap sandwich consolation prize because they left it all in Indy at the goal line. It was CFP or bust and they had gotten the biggest nut punch ever imagined that night.

West Coast Football Game Start Times impacting Games

I am concerned when we play on the West Coast that we could see 7pm start times which means we are playing at 9pm Midwest time and ending the game around midnight. I believe Iowa currently has football practices in the morning so I would think our team would need to be in bed by 10pm or 11pm or earlier. Teams coming East playing at 11am would be at 9am their time and likely already up. Will Iowa need to change it's practice time?

The Iowa Arizona game in 2010 started at 9:30 Midwest time with temps likely 100 or over. Quite the advantage for Arizona. USC and UCLA both have 7:30 PDT start times for games in their first 4 games.

3 of the 4 Pac teams added are ranked in preseason for 2023 and UCLA was ranked at the end of 2022 so beating these teams will not be easy.

I believe how Kirk handles the travel and start times could be a major change.

Thank you for the laugh

The Pac 12 teams coming into the Big are noted for being pretty fast teams that may play more spread and 5 wide receiver sets. Normally Iowa plays those types of teams when they play OSU and in bowl games. I wonder if Kirk feels he needs to up the recruiting results for more speed, higher ranked recruits, especially to get a more high powered offense.

Before Hayden the hawk defense looked slower than many Big 10 opponents, then Fry started getting some speed on the back 7 on defense. Fry and Kirk never have had a stable full of fast receivers and even burner running backs. But they have been fast enough.

Will the hawks need to upgrade their speed somewhat and some other aspects with the new competition?

Do you know if Kirk goes on the recruiting road a lot or mainly meets with recruits when they visit?
Iowa probably has done better against the Pac 10 over the years under Ferentz than under Fry!

I think the style disparity is way over-blown and if anything it will be much harder on the minority (west coast teams) than the majority (existing B1G teams). First of all, nobody is going to scheme their way to dominance in this league. There are way too many really good players and coaches for that to happen. So these teams can trick themselves all they want but aside from a play here and there or maybe even a game every once in a while, but 99% of all the games are going to be won by the same metrics; who can run the ball, who can stop the run and the turnover margin. Second, the adjustment for a northern team like Wisconsin to go out west and play in California in any month is a hell of a lot easier than a California team going to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan, MSU, etc. in November. Third, it is not going to be much of an adjustment for the existing B1G teams, if at all, for the "speed" of the west coast teams. There is plenty of speed, even at lowly Iowa, across the board at a lot of B1G teams. But, can those west coast teams battle in the trenches like they are going to have to, and not just to Iowa, but add in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois over the course of a full season? That will remain to be seen. Fourth, jet lag "ain't no joke" when traveling west to east across time zones. Is that the only factor I would consider if I were to be making a bet (which I don't)? Of course not, but it is just something else to add to the mix.
Why do you think that? Look up the history of the Big Ten teams heading West. It's not good. Look at our even somewhat recent trips to not very good Arizona. Boat-raced. On another note I do agree that unless USC somehow manages to upgrade their sad defense they are not going to truly compete. He's had the player of the year/Heisman trophy guy the last 2 years and he's got 2-3 more losses coming this year. And I do agree w/you that it's just as tough for the West Coast teams heading East. However, especially this year, both Washington and Oregon are pretty physical teams. I think they will actually do better than the Cali teams moving forward, unless UCLA somehow manages to get their alumni involved in NIL and other things.

Arizona St, not Arizona, my bad. Point being it's not going to be any easier for either side to travel. While obviously the West Coast teams will not like the physicality and the cold the late night starts are also a much different animal for the Midwest teams. It's just so hard to compare teams, and basically almost impossible to compare Iowa to anyone these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT