ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be updated player weights for spring ball?

brace-yourselves-huge.jpg

Curious about him, Plumb, TL, and McDonald

It's too bad a lot of these OL recruits that Iowa's been getting take 2-3 years to gain the needed weight to compete. It has played hell on the depth of the OL.

Curious about him, Plumb, TL, and McDonald
Are you talking about Jayden McDonald? I think 230-235 is the max we would want him and he was about 12 pounds away last fall. Forgot about Plumb. It may take him a good couple years before reaching 300, unfortunately. If he could be at 280, that would be great, but maybe that’s not realistic.

It's too bad a lot of these OL recruits that Iowa's been getting take 2-3 years to gain the needed weight to compete. It has played hell on the depth of the OL.

Well, considering both are tackles started as freshman over 300 pounds and Ezra Miller, Tyler Endres, Josh Volk, and Elsbury are all over 300 pounds before they step on campus this literally makes no sense. Plus, it's not like bringing guys in and putting weight on them has worked..
except Yanda, Scherff, and Ike Boettger who are all on NFL rosters.

Linderbaum looks like a traditional Iowa boy that were gonna love then throw in his well known mean streak ....can't wait for him at center

I'm pushing 300 after adding some winter weight. Probably be down a couple pounds by the start of the season. #staytuned
It was a rough, tough winter for sure. I couldn't get outside for my long runs due to ice and sub-zero temps and it effected my mood.... added about 24 pounds during the past 4 months (to 192) whereas I typically add only 5-10 over the winter months. I've got some work to do this Spring.

Dillon Doyle doing DB snatch. Linderbomb do look more swoll up.
Could see young Doyle grab that Mike spot earlier then most would think. I could see him as the next Josey Jewell. Better athlete then people think, big kid already, and grew up immersed in Hawkeye football.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Could see young Doyle grab that Mike spot earlier then most would think. I could see him as the next Josey Jewell. Better athlete then people think, big kid already, and grew up immersed in Hawkeye football.
Very possible. Has the intangibles and the attitude of a coaches kid. I think he can be that guy.

Not a fan of the phrase: “(he) could be the next _____”

We’re still waiting on the next Bob Sanders and Chuck Long; maybe they’re already in the roster.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
Not a fan of the phrase: “(he) could be the next _____”

We’re still waiting on the next Bob Sanders and Chuck Long; maybe they’re already in the roster.
There will never be another Bob Sanders and Chuck Long, whom I love btw, gets way to much hype. I mean, I could check down and throw to Ronnie Harmon and look at least average

Reactions: cmhawks99
Yeah, all Chuck Long did was finish second to Bo Jackson in the Heisman. Totally overrated. The Lions ruined his chance to have a good pro career.

Reactions: dbrocket
I'm curious about Riley Moss. IMO, he's a modest weight gain and some experience away from being a damn good safety. Who else has stepped in out of nowhere to start as a true freshman for Kirk Ferentz? That kid is special. Mark it down.

Just saying he was surrounded by the best weopons in Iowa history- he was good, I know. But cmon, look at that offense

Helverson, Happel and Flagg the best weapons in history? Harmon was an all timer, 2nd leading rusher had 309 yards and was the fullback. People would be railing about having two possession receivers.

Helverson, Happel and Flagg the best weapons in history? Harmon was an all timer, 2nd leading rusher had 309 yards and was the fullback. People would be railing about having two possession receivers.
Flagg and marv cook, Quinn Early too cmon dude that team was stacked. Defense too

Leading receiver
Scott Helverson 53 catches
Bill Happel 50
Ronnie Harmon 49 catches
Mike Flagg 25 catches
Robert Smith 17 catches
Quinn Early 16 catches
Clark, Hudson, Baylees, Cotton, etc. 35 catches
Cook 0 catches

Loved all of those guys, that team but to say Chuck was great because of the loaded talent is misguided. If the internet was prevelent can you imagine some of the chatter about having two possession receivers as your primary guys? That team was great as a collective unit. Everyone doing their job well.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Well, considering both are tackles started as freshman over 300 pounds and Ezra Miller, Tyler Endres, Josh Volk, and Elsbury are all over 300 pounds before they step on campus this literally makes no sense. Plus, it's not like bringing guys in and putting weight on them has worked..
except Yanda, Scherff, and Ike Boettger who are all on NFL rosters.

You're only telling a very small portion of the story there. The Iowa O-line roster is full of guys trying to gain weight to compete at the position. Notice I also said depth of the OL. It's been clear over the past 5-6 years our OL depth has been lacking. That tends to happen when you have a bunch of guys at OL in year 2 or 3 that still need to add 15 - 30lbs. What does Scherff, Yanda, or Wirfs and Jackson have to do with anything I said? I will ask you this why did Wirfs and Jackson have to start at OT so early into their careers before they were even ready to start at OT? Guys like Scherff, Yanda, Bulaga and Reiff never had to do that. They were able to get broken in at other spots along the OL.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
You're only telling a very small portion of the story there. The Iowa O-line roster is full of guys trying to gain weight to compete at the position. Notice I also said depth of the OL. It's been clear over the past 5-6 years our OL depth has been lacking. That tends to happen when you have a bunch of guys at OL in year 2 or 3 that still need to add 15 - 30lbs. What does Scherff, Yanda, or Wirfs and Jackson have to do with anything I said? I will ask you this why did Wirfs and Jackson have to start at OT so early into their careers before they were even ready to start at OT? Guys like Scherff, Yanda, Bulaga and Reiff never had to do that. They were able to get broken in at other spots along the OL.

Your point is so poorly made its laughable. Scherff played 10 games as a freshman, Bulaga played 7 as a freshman and then all 13 as a sophomore, and Reiff played in all 13 games as a freshman. These guys all saw the field early because the best players play. Wirfs and Jackson are NFL guys, that's why they started at an early age, just like James Daniels as well. We won the Joe Moore 2 years ago, and have recently had 2 running backs with 1000 yard seasons in the same year.

You sit there trying to pick apart the o-line play without mentioning Greg Davis being a horrible OC, and the fact we have had such poor WR talent in the last 5 years that teams just stack 8 in the box against us and we can't punish them for it. Our WRs are finally coming back around but it has taken time.

We also have very average at best RB talent right now, with a lot of youth at the position.

It's honestly like you have no idea what your talking about, I'm simply baffled by the amount of complaining about the o-line on the message boards lately. The pass pro was good last year, the run game still needed work, but due to a lack of any WRs creating separation and young RBs, I just don't see how it's all the o-line's fault.

No. Recruiting misses and attrition have led to Iowa's current poor OL depth.

OL is always a developmental position. Few 18 or 19 year-olds are ready to compete at the B1G or FBS level physically, technically or mentally at any school. Dudes have to grow into their bodies and minds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT