ADVERTISEMENT

Williams Arena

You are conflating a conference run school administered event where the school pays the majority of the cost to an NCAA national event run by the NCAA and hosted by a university where the NCAA pays most of not al the cost.

I know you are new here, but Des Moin s also hosted the NCAA Wrestling Championships a while back.

Not all schools are Iowa, and even At Penn State and Ohio State Wrestling is big, but it is the third most popular winter sport behind Basketball and Ice Hockey.

Each school hosts the tournament in the venue that they have available. Welsh Ryan, Wisconsin Firldhouse, St. John’s Arena all have hosted Big Ten tournaments in the past and will again in the future.

Be thankful they do, there was a time not all big ten schools chose to host the event.

By the way, the Final Four this year will be in a really big stadium!

I don’t think you will see B1G at Wisconsin field house or St, Johns again and Welsh Ryan just got a major facelift so scrap that line of rationalization.

Dump might be a bit harsh guys, North western was way worse. We sat in row 13 and with the way the mats were set up at times it was EXTREMELY difficult to see our guys when they were not right in front of us. Sitting close to action is good and all for a dual but not so much for tournament setting. I might add that the 3 Minnesota fans that sat in front of us were fun went back and fourth with my son. That being said Minnesota fans as a a group are a disgrace to any school. I have never seen and I mean never seen a bunch of baboons act the way they did when a Iowa wrestler lost. They could have wrestler going same as our and they were just as interested or even more interested in hoping our guy would get beat. I thought the clown fans were bad. The section that we were in was very diverse with Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota fans. The Nebraska and Michigan people we dealt with were pretty cool, yeah they wanted to beat us but at least that's par for the coarse. But at least you could interact with them on a good level.

You guys complaining about this year are going to very disappointed if your able to make it to next years B1G tournament at the RAC (Rutgers Athleti Center)...I dont see how they can have more then 7000 seats with four mats and tickets are going to be difficult to purchase. Having the tournament in NJ is already buzzing in the tri state area. The RAC is not an arena but basically a HS gym on steroids..The upper deck bleachers are very steep. Theres nowhere to walk around. They should be holding it at the Prudential center to accommodate all the fans. The RAC is a perfect place for a dual meet and 5-6k fans but its going to be a nightmare for a sold out tournament.There is no doubt these tickets are going to sell at a very high price on the secondary market.

Minnesota fans as a a group are a disgrace to any school. I have never seen and I mean never seen a bunch of baboons act the way they did when a Iowa wrestler lost. They could have wrestler going same as our and they were just as interested or even more interested in hoping our guy would get beat. I thought the clown fans were bad. The section that we were in was very diverse with Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota fans. The Nebraska and Michigan people we dealt with were pretty cool, yeah they wanted to beat us but at least that's par for the coarse. But at least you could interact with them on a good level.

I was surprised how many Northwestern fans were in the stadium once Lee lost.....didn't know NW had such a big wrestling fanbase.

The rodents thought they were taking 3rd but then the Bull and Cassar crushed that hope.

You guys complaining about this year are going to very disappointed if your able to make it to next years B1G tournament at the RAC (Rutgers Athleti Center)...I dont see how they can have more then 7000 seats with four mats and tickets are going to be difficult to purchase. Having the tournament in NJ is already buzzing in the tri state area. The RAC is not an arena but basically a HS gym on steroids..The upper deck bleachers are very steep. Theres nowhere to walk around. They should be holding it at the Prudential center to accommodate all the fans. The RAC is a perfect place for a dual meet and 5-6k fans but its going to be a nightmare for a sold out tournament.There is no doubt these tickets are going to sell at a very high price on the secondary market.

Is the Big Ten just not paying attention to the sport of wrestling at all? How do they think this is a good idea. The two wrestling tournaments a year (big tens and NCAAs) that are going to easily sell out 15k seats and they are holding it in a venue a third of that size.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I thought the stadium was terrible. The concourse was so small you couldn't hardly walk. I hated it and I don't think the Big 10 should ever place it there again. Also, the Iowa fan section was stuck in the corner and all of the matches on day 1 were on the far side. It was terrible. I talked to a fan and he said when he saw the Iowa section, he started searching for seats from other teams and they were all in better sections, so he bought seats in the Ohio State section, so he could get a better view. I think it's horrible that the team that travels the best is placed in the worst section.

Gotta admit... the home crowd surely helped guys like Lizak, McKee, Bleise, and Skatz.

Ask me again in two weeks when they are without home field advantage.
I was wondering how you would spin it. I agree that they still need to perform in two weeks but even then if they do, you'll come up with something else. You have to admit right now that your takes on Lizak regressing and Iowa St. not improving took a serious hit this weekend :D

I was wondering how you would spin it. I agree that they still need to perform in two weeks but even then if they do, you'll come up with something else. You have to admit right now that your takes on Lizak regressing and Iowa St. not improving took a serious hit this weekend :D
Lizak got pounded by Suriano in the Quarters, then had a couple cupcakes before getting a FFT prior to DeSanto,, not the toughest path...

No they didn't! Regarding ISU... they had one champ at the absolute weakest weight of the ten. The Big 12 had multiple teams that took huge steps backward this season. SDSU/Wyoming/NColorado/Oklahoma/WestVa were horrible. ISU jumped them! Big Whoop. They finish top 20 and I'll reevaluate.
Regarding the Gophers... never underestimate the home crowd, sleeping in your own bed at nite, and the home environment. Lizak is still a R12/low AA right now. Probably a 7/8 seed, at best.

No spin here. I'm being extremely objective.

BTW: Are Gopher fans still pipe dreaming about getting Teasdale and/or Gross? Does either have an older brother on the roster. That seems to be their recipe.

Last edited:
Bahahaha. You and objective should never be said when you are talking about the Gophers or the Cyclones! ISU was an eyelash away from beating Iowa this year in the dual. Last year they had a 7-10 record that improved to 10-4 and qualified 9 guys to nationals after last year only qualifying 1. Yep, you're right they aren't improving everyone else is just getting worst ;)

Reactions: MNRodent
Bahahaha. You and objective should never be said when you are talking about the Gophers or the Cyclones! ISU was an eyelash away from beating Iowa this year in the dual. Last year they had a 7-10 record that improved to 10-4 and qualified 9 guys to nationals after last year only qualifying 1. Yep, you're right they aren't improving everyone else is just getting worst ;)
Look closely at their 10-4 record this year. They lost to every team with a pulse. Then look who they defeated. Wartburg and GrandView would have had the same record against that schedule.

BTW: I do give props to Dresser for one thing. He did manage to keep Gremmel out of jail and apparently out of trouble for the entire season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSeil
Personally, I love Williams Arena. I have season basketball tickets and when it is full and a good game, my (biased) opinion is it's the best sport/venue in the city to see a game. It's old school loud and awesome.

That said I was there Saturday morning and agree it's probably not the best spot to hold an event like this. When you have a sold out crowd there for an entire day (basically) it's just not really built for that. The concourses are too small. There's too many bleachers and obstructed view seats. The bathrooms, concession, etc are not really meant to handle that many people for that long.

The Target center would be much better. That could be tough to figure out too though. Target Center is obviously run for profit and besides the Timberwolves (who were in town this weekend) there are concerts and other events (high school especially this time of year) going on there constantly. I'm guessing the B10 would have to pony up fairly heavily to host it there and plan well, well ahead of time.

Anyway, I was really impressed with the crowds and had a great time watching the action Saturday. Fun event.

Here's the deal.

NON REVENUE SPORT B1G baseball plays their conference tournament championship in a MODERN, BRAND NEW, BEAUTIFUL VENUE in Omaha.

NON REVENUE SPORT B1G Women's basketball plays their conference tournament championship in a MODERN VENUE in downtown Indianapolis.

NON REVENUE SPORT B1G wrestling DESERVES to have their conference tournament championship in a MODERN VENUE in Minneapolis OR any city that wants to host it.

The B1G Conference made it happen in baseball and women's basketball.

It is time for the B1G Conference to make it happen for wrestling.

B1G Commissioner Jim Daleny is walking away with $20M next year as a going away present when he retires. So don't tell me there is no money to MAKE IT HAPPEN FOR WRESTLING. There's plenty of money and there's plenty of time to make it happen for wrestling.

The RAC next year for a B1G Championship where they try to host 14 fan bases??? Give me a break. It's embarrassing.

University of Minnesota has spent a lot of money on athletic facilities in recent years. I would imagine the next priority is to take a look at Williams Arena and the Sports Pavilion. They house M&W Basketball, Volleyball, Gymnastics and wrestling(maybe more). Obviously the financial hurdle is a challenge and finding somewhere to relocate the other teams on a temporary basis is another. Hopefully we are able to have a new venue in 14 years when it’s our turn again.

Great crowd though and I enjoyed the atmosphere. I didn’t really think of the negative things u guys mentioned until I read them here.

One fact check: Williams is not a third of the size of 15,000 seats as one poster suggested. At full capacity it is just under 15,000. Obviously some seats were lost due to configuration but not 10,000.

University of Minnesota has spent a lot of money on athletic facilities in recent years. I would imagine the next priority is to take a look at Williams Arena and the Sports Pavilion. They house M&W Basketball, Volleyball, Gymnastics and wrestling(maybe more). Obviously the financial hurdle is a challenge and finding somewhere to relocate the other teams on a temporary basis is another. Hopefully we are able to have a new venue in 14 years when it’s our turn again.

Great crowd though and I enjoyed the atmosphere. I didn’t really think of the negative things u guys mentioned until I read them here.

One fact check: Williams is not a third of the size of 15,000 seats as one poster suggested. At full capacity it is just under 15,000. Obviously some seats were lost due to configuration but not 10,000.
I think the 1/3 comment was in reference to Rutgers hosting it next year.

The next project is the Fieldhouse (indoor track across the street). Its a super old building too (wooden rafters).

Here's the deal.

NON REVENUE SPORT B1G baseball plays their conference tournament championship in a MODERN, BRAND NEW, BEAUTIFUL VENUE in Omaha.

NON REVENUE SPORT B1G Women's basketball plays their conference tournament championship in a MODERN VENUE in downtown Indianapolis.

NON REVENUE SPORT B1G wrestling DESERVES to have their conference tournament championship in a MODERN VENUE in Minneapolis OR any city that wants to host it.

B1G Commissioner Jim Daleny is walking away with $20M next year as a going away present when he retires. So don't tell me there is no money to MAKE IT HAPPEN FOR WRESTLING. There's plenty of money and there's plenty of time to make it happen for wrestling.

The RAC next year for a B1G Championship where they try to host 14 fan bases??? Give me a break. It's embarrassing.

Great points...How many fans will the B1G Womens basketball draw for their tournament? 1,500 a round? The B1G wrestling would sell out quickly at the 18,000 seat Prudential Center in NJ but they are having it at the 7,000 seat (and thats very debatable it will be that many with 4 mats) RAC. Just doesn't make any sense. Probably all of us pay for the B1G Network, Wrestling fans deserve better! About 50 years ago they had the NJ HS State tournament at the RAC but it would never return there because its too small. Or possibly have it at The Famous Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City (12,000 seats) and a great place to spend a weekend for fans. Tell Devaney he's only going to get 19.5 million next year!

Last edited:
Here's the deal.

Exactly. And wrestling becomes a revenue sport in the post season. (Bigs and NCAAs). They have market demand for 15k + seats, yet they're going to put it in a small venue at Rutgers? Doesn't make sense.

My son and I were there for every session. Bleacher seats at the very top of the arena. My ass and back were killing me after about 11 hours sitting on them; was not aware they were going to be bleacher seats.

The place is an absolute dump; signage is poor, the concourse areas with concessions are very cramped, tiny restrooms. Actually saw holes in the wooden stairs on my long long climb to my seats. Aisles are narrow and steep. Garbage venue. I honestly couldn’t believe how shitty the place was.

That aside enjoyed the wrestling.

I would have to say that the "BARN" ice cream with hot fudge was better then the ice cream at Craver ;) ;) ;) (please note the sarcasm)

Dump might be a bit harsh guys, North western was way worse. We sat in row 13 and with the way the mats were set up at times it was EXTREMELY difficult to see our guys when they were not right in front of us. Sitting close to action is good and all for a dual but not so much for tournament setting. I might add that the 3 Minnesota fans that sat in front of us were fun went back and fourth with my son. That being said Minnesota fans as a a group are a disgrace to any school. I have never seen and I mean never seen a bunch of baboons act the way they did when a Iowa wrestler lost. They could have wrestler going same as our and they were just as interested or even more interested in hoping our guy would get beat. I thought the clown fans were bad. The section that we were in was very diverse with Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa and Minnesota fans. The Nebraska and Michigan people we dealt with were pretty cool, yeah they wanted to beat us but at least that's par for the coarse. But at least you could interact with them on a good level.

Minnesota’s fanbase always earns the sportsmanship award.

Worst current venue in the B1G, but I said going in it was bad. I do think they've made some small improvements since the last time there. I guess I can't say worst from personal experience because I have never been to the RAC. It has been since '89 or '90 since I've been to Maryland, but I would assume they've updated since then, or theirs would be in the running.
As for the Target Center, I wasn't terribly impressed with it in '96, but it would be a huge upgrade over Williams. I've never seen the B1G tournament off campus anywhere though.
I can't believe Rutgers is getting the tournament already next year. Nebraska has been in for a long time and still hasn't gotten it. I think even the mighty PSU had to sit a whole rotation before they got it, and they had the good sense to put it in BJC when they got it. It shouldn't be allowed to be in a venue as small as the RAC. I guess I will be breaking my B!G streak next year because those tickets will be a hard get.

Funny that none of the Penn State fans are complaining about Williams Arena. Of course, their team didn't sh*t the bed .

Or did your Gophers shit the bed. You had every opportunity to steal third Saturday morning. Lugo takes out Ness and Young takes out Bleise. Hawks rose to the occasion and Gophers didn't.
And lets not forget how many forfeits you received. You had the perfect storm and came up short.

Funny that none of the Penn State fans are complaining about Williams Arena. Of course, their team didn't sh*t the bed .
That's because there were only 50 of them, and they didn't get shoved off in a corner out of disrespect. Hawkeye fans are resourceful though, we got decent seats in all the other school's sections.

We shit the bed on Day 1...agreed. Not enough bonus plus head scratching losses. However...

BTW...congrats to both of your teams for placing 4th and 5th.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
Yeah, we couldn't believe how much of a shithole that place was. The bathrooms were so narrow that guys were constantly having to manuver around each other. Good luck if you had to use one of the 2 stalls available. You were waiting in a long line so everyone could see. They need to take a bulldozer and just flatten that building and put it out of it's misery.

Yeah, we couldn't believe how much of a shithole that place was. The bathrooms were so narrow that guys were constantly having to manuver around each other. Good luck if you had to use one of the 2 stalls available. You were waiting in a long line so everyone could see. They need to take a bulldozer and just flatten that building and put it out of it's misery.

Wow, an Iowa fan complaining about stalling? :)

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
How about you keep up Chief. I never said what you're quoting so not sure why you're jacking around with the quote system.

Let me clarify for you. You said "Fact Check: Williams Arena is not 1/3rd the size of 15,000 as one poster suggested."

We were talking about Rutgers next year. Fran said there arena only holds around 5k. I said demand for big tens is >15k. Why hold it in an arena 1/3 that size.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: hawkssox1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT