ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin school board votes to ban pride, BLM flags from classrooms

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007

'Teachers and administration will not have political flags or religious messaging in their classroom,' the superintendent says

The policy also includes banning teachers from including their preferred pronouns in email signatures.

"If you have a policy that says ‘nothing political,’ does that mean you can’t have a sign up that says, ‘Support our Troops’ or ‘Believe Women’ or ‘Save the Planet?’ By some people’s definitions, all of those things are political," said Christine Donahoe, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin.

Some people just don't get it.

"If you have a policy that says ‘nothing political,’ does that mean you can’t have a sign up that says, ‘Support our Troops’ or ‘Believe Women’ or ‘Save the Planet?’ By some people’s definitions, all of those things are political," said Christine Donahoe, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You will get it at some point...I hope.

The policy also includes banning teachers from including their preferred pronouns in email signatures.

I find this whole thing really strange.

This is not “getting politics out of our schools”. It’s removing a message they don’t like. I feel bad for the parents raising children that can’t handle being in a room with BLM flags

This is not “getting politics out of our schools”. It’s removing a message they don’t like. I feel bad for the parents raising children that can’t handle being in a room with BLM flags

Using pronouns is a political statement.

And BLM is a political organization. I'm surprised that there is anyone left that refuses to acknowledge otherwise.

You got that one right.

Good. School should be about learning and learning only. Fundamental education. There will be plenty of time in later life to have forced immersion into the current political quagmire of society. I'm very much against anyone, either right or left leaning, attempting to impress young minds.
I fundamentally learned about OPs mom in high school.

'Teachers and administration will not have political flags or religious messaging in their classroom,' the superintendent says

On its face…I have zero problem with this. As a matter of fact I endorse it. The more we can shield our kids from the stupid ass things we bicker about as adults in An educational setting - good. Somebody has to be the adult in the room.

But that’s not the point. They aren’t in school to handle a BLM flag, a Pride flag, an Elephant Flag or a Donkey flag.
It has nothing to do with the “ABC/123. K-3 has to give a solid foundation for learning the basics.

I don't have a problem banning everything political in this context - or at least setting a high bar where possibly political content is concerned.

I think the pronoun thing has largely become silly, but they should leave personal emails alone.

The pride flag has pretty clearly become political symbology.

Seems students can still wear these shirts or pins or display any of these? If that’s the case I suppose it’s a reasonable position.

It’s a statement of who is paying for the school.
iu

I don't have a problem banning everything political in this context - or at least setting a high bar where possibly political content is concerned.

I think the pronoun thing has largely become silly, but they should leave personal emails alone.

The pride flag has pretty clearly become political symbology.

They aren't personal emails.

But that’s not the point. They aren’t in school to handle a BLM flag, a Pride flag, an Elephant Flag or a Donkey flag.
It has nothing to do with the “ABC/123. K-3 has to give a solid foundation for learning the basics.

Where does it stop? Are they allowed to share Hawkeye gear? What about Nike stuff? Religious swag? Or those ribbons they wear during breast cancer Month?

Do they do the pledge of allegiance in that state? I have to roll my eyes every time I remember they still force kids to do that but you mix it with this BS and it’s kind of chilling

You only introduce more politics in school by making it illegal. One thing I don’t like raising my kids in Iowa is the lack of diversity and would fully support getting them exposed to more “politics”

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Good portion of this message board had a meltdown and attacked a kid wearing a maga hat and smiling.

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT