ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin school board votes to ban pride, BLM flags from classrooms

It gets tiring chasing after your mobile goalposts. Climate change can be taught without politicizing it. Although I realize it’s impossible for you to not politicize even a bowl of breakfast cereal.
So clueless. “Politicization” is in the eyes of the beholder. That you don’t understand that isn’t surprising. An award-winning elementary book about a black student struggling to fit in at a white school is real-life and has been politicized right here on HROT. EVERYTHING is political to someone.

How can it be taught without politicizing it?

By not endorsing anything! That’s sort of the fecking point of this thread. Hey kids, here’s what climate change is about. Here’s some information collected by scientists in regard to it. Some believe this. Others believe this. The test over all of it is next Tuesday. Mmkay?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
So clueless. “Politicization” is in the eyes of the beholder. That you don’t understand that isn’t surprising. An award-winning elementary book about a black student struggling to fit in at a white school is real-life and has been politicized right here on HROT. EVERYTHING is political to someone.

Including breakfast cereal.

By not endorsing anything! That’s sort of the fecking point of this thread. Hey kids, here’s what climate change is about. Here’s some information collected by scientists in regard to it. Some believe this. Others believe this. The test over all of it is next Tuesday. Mmkay?

Centrists don't like this but "teaching the controversy" is *also* politicizing it.

How can it be taught without politicizing it?
science.gif

+
Not mentioning policy to kids
=

elmer-sheep.gif

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Wisconsin school board votes to ban pride, BLM flags from classrooms

'Teachers and administration will not have political flags or religious messaging in their classroom,' the superintendent says

The policy also includes banning teachers from including their preferred pronouns in email signatures.

Good.

Why would you specifically state that those flags are banned? Instead just state the flags that are allowed. This way you don't have to create an extensive list of banned flags like Nazi, Isis, Confederate, etc. Just say the American flag, all armed forces flags, state flag, school flag if you have one and the scouts flags if your school has scouts there.

Reactions: goldmom
What is the non-political version of climate change science? Is it non-political to state that science says climate change is happening and human activity is what's driving it? That's the science.
Is this political:

pnas.2006323117fig01.jpeg

Climate change is causing the Southwest to aridify. (Left) Since the 1930s, increasing temperatures have caused the percentage of precipitation going to evapotranspiration (ET) to increase at the expense of precipitation going to Colorado River flow, resulting in an unprecedented and still ongoing megadrought (shading) starting in 1999 (8). (Right) Higher temperatures have already reduced Colorado River flow by 13%, and projected additional warming, assuming continued high emissions of greenhouse gases, will increase ET while reducing river flow even more through the 21st century. Data on Left are 20-y running means from ref. 5, and data on Right are calculated from Representative Concentration Pathways (RCP) 8.5 multimodel Coupled Model Intercomparison Project–Phase 5 (CMIP5) ensemble temperature increases projected for the Upper Colorado River Basin combined with temperature sensitivity of −9.3%/°C estimated by ref. 5, assuming no change in precipitation.

Is this political:

pnas.2006323117fig01.jpeg

Climate change is causing the Southwest to aridify. (Left) Since the 1930s, increasing temperatures have caused the percentage of precipitation going to evapotranspiration (ET) to increase at the expense of precipitation going to Colorado River flow, resulting in an unprecedented and still ongoing megadrought (shading) starting in 1999 (8). (Right) Higher temperatures have already reduced Colorado River flow by 13%, and projected additional warming, assuming continued high emissions of greenhouse gases, will increase ET while reducing river flow even more through the 21st century. Data on Left are 20-y running means from ref. 5, and data on Right are calculated from Representative Concentration Pathways (RCP) 8.5 multimodel Coupled Model Intercomparison Project–Phase 5 (CMIP5) ensemble temperature increases projected for the Upper Colorado River Basin combined with temperature sensitivity of −9.3%/°C estimated by ref. 5, assuming no change in precipitation.

Seems to imply either major policy changes or migrations are needed. So if I disagreed with that, I might find it a bit political.

Teacher: Some scientists believe it’s because of this. Others believe it’s because of this. You’ll be tested on all of it. And allowed to make up your own mind.
LOL..."Some people believe sodium metal reacts with chlorine gas to make sodium chloride due to the transfer of a valence electron and the creation of an ionic bond. Others say it's magic. I have to teach you both because you will be tested on all of it. Make up your own minds."

Idiots.

LOL..."Some people believe sodium metal reacts with chlorine gas to make sodium chloride due to the transfer of a valence electron and the creation of an ionic bond. Others say it's magic. I have to teach you both because you will be tested on all of it. Make up your own minds."

Idiots.

Your responsive is asinine and you know it.

• Haha
It has EVERYTHING to do with it. It is at the core of it.

Bottom line: There is a way to teach kids about controversial topics without subscribing to a political belief. And without encouraging their belief in one. This isn’t difficult. The AP has been reporting about such matters for almost two hundred years walking, for the most part, right down the middle. Schools can be and should be exactly the same way.

• Haha
Bottom line: There is a way to teach kids about controversial topics without subscribing to a political belief. And without encouraging their belief in one. This isn’t difficult. The AP has been reporting about such matters for almost two hundred years walking, for the most part, right down the middle. Schools can be and should be exactly the same way.
Presenting the facts is how it's done. NOT pretending that every crackpot theory has merit. YOU make it political and then try to claim you're keeping the politics out of it. Can we teach stellar evolution or the Earth's geologic history or biological evolution without also including Genesis? It's an "alternative theory" ascribed to literally and faithfully by millions of people and you want all sides presented. So we also teach all the other creation stories?

And don't tell me that's "asinine"...it's EXACTLY what you're prescribing.

Yep. And when the facts are controversial, teach what’s most commonly accepted on each side of a controversial issue and allow kids to make up their minds. Simple stuff. No politics there, friend.
Since you edited my post, I'll ask you directly...are you seriously saying that Genesis should be taught in a biology class alongside biological evolution?

Since you edited my post, I'll ask you directly...are you seriously saying that Genesis should be taught in a biology class alongside biological evolution?

Genesis isn’t taught in public schools. There’s a reason for that. Parochial schools exist. Why don’t you answer a question to me to close your angle a little bit: What politically controversial topics are currently taught in public schools?

• Haha
Genesis isn’t taught in public schools. There’s a reason for that. Parochial schools exist. Why don’t you answer a question to me to close your angle a little bit: What politically controversial topics are currently taught in public schools?

How the Civil War is taught is still pretty politically sensitive. Less so in Iowa, but we were on the side that won.

Whoa! It's an "alternative theory". It is THE biggest "other side" in this country to the question of where we came from. Funny how when it gets uncomfortable for you, you bail on your beliefs. If you think teaching biological evolution isn't politically controversial after all the attempts to shoehorn Genesis into public schools through BS like Intelligent Design, you're either highly ignorant or pretending to be so.

FYI, you're "other sides" to climate change are just as bogus as Genesis.

I’ll concede I don’t understand how or why people want to change what pronouns they are addressed by.

I also don’t understand how that is a political statement.
Because only lefty wackos care what pronouns others address them by.

Where does it stop? Are they allowed to share Hawkeye gear? What about Nike stuff? Religious swag? Or those ribbons they wear during breast cancer Month?

Do they do the pledge of allegiance in that state? I have to roll my eyes every time I remember they still force kids to do that but you mix it with this BS and it’s kind of chilling

You only introduce more politics in school by making it illegal. One thing I don’t like raising my kids in Iowa is the lack of diversity and would fully support getting them exposed to more “politics”
Move to downtown Chicago, your kids will get plenty of diversity there.

There could be situations where you might legitimately want to use a pronoun. Like a real trans person being misidentified. Plus, it's their email, speaking for themselves.
Do you think if someone is addressed by a pronoun they don't prefer, they will melt?

Jim Crow and civil rights is ALL about politics. Folks like @Kinnick.At.Night would have you teach it without teaching why it happened. Like I said earlier, you're not interacting with deep thinkers in this thread.

That’s an interesting POV. When I was taught about Jim Crow and Civil Rights, “why” these movements occurred was explained clearly. Side A believed this. Side B believed this. This happened, then this happened. Here’s your test. And that’s how I’d teach it. Pretty damn simple for the non-obtuse. 😂

• Haha
How the Civil War is taught is still pretty politically sensitive. Less so in Iowa, but we were on the side that won.
I went to Catholic school in the South 50+ years ago and it was always plainly taught that slavery was wrong, the Confederacy was wrong, and the Union rightfully prevailed.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT