ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin school board votes to ban pride, BLM flags from classrooms

I work in Madison from time to time and the City and State email headers have the pronoun request/requirement on them so this isn't a state deal. Seems pretty innocuous.

For some reason I can't open the article but I'm ok with a law against political images and symbols in a classroom as long as it's applied evenhandedly but not over aggressively.

I mean we don't need a picture of MLK being declared a political symbol and being banned.

Good. School should be about learning and learning only. Fundamental education. There will be plenty of time in later life to have forced immersion into the current political quagmire of society. I'm very much against anyone, either right or left leaning, attempting to impress young minds.

Perfect post.

Reactions: steelrain
They aren't personal emails.

There could be situations where you might legitimately want to use a pronoun. Like a real trans person being misidentified. Plus, it's their email, speaking for themselves.

It is not their email.

why is preferred pronouns different from including in your signature line the name you prefer to be addressed (nickname, middle name, pronunciation tip, etc.)?

you can quibble over whether it’s a personal or work email I suppose, but if they sent the email, it’s “their” email.

why is preferred pronouns different from including in your signature line the name you prefer to be addressed (nickname, middle name, pronunciation tip, etc.)?

you can quibble over whether it’s a personal or work email I suppose, but if they sent the email, it’s “their” email.
Right. I don't see a problem here. Not much different than a placard on a desk.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Where does it stop? Are they allowed to share Hawkeye gear? What about Nike stuff? Religious swag? Or those ribbons they wear during breast cancer Month?

Do they do the pledge of allegiance in that state? I have to roll my eyes every time I remember they still force kids to do that but you mix it with this BS and it’s kind of chilling

You only introduce more politics in school by making it illegal. One thing I don’t like raising my kids in Iowa is the lack of diversity and would fully support getting them exposed to more “politics”
Fake arguments do you no favors. 🙄

Now this is where the Jeff Bridges meme would actually be perfect.
iu

Good. School should be about learning and learning only. Fundamental education. There will be plenty of time in later life to have forced immersion into the current political quagmire of society. I'm very much against anyone, either right or left leaning, attempting to impress young minds.
You realize that "fundamental education" is about impressing young minds, right?

I still don’t see why or how any positional symbols, stickers, etc. make 2+2 not equal four...isn’t that what is important?

Fake arguments do you no favors. 🙄

I would contend these rules are built on fake arguments - just like most regulations were seeing from conservatives these days.

You all are threatened by rainbow flags and pronouns. I don’t see how Nike symbols are a reach.

And all these ideas seem to come from the same people that want to arm teachers

Last edited:
Hey look gold mom is being dumb again. Education is about a hell of a lot more than ABC/123.
Apparently you aren’t aware that only 40% of students in the fourth grade were considered “proficient” in basic math. (Nationsreportcard.com) So it would seem that every minute of K-3 should be spent not only on ABC’s but 1-2-3’s as well.
Pretty dumb, huh?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I would content these rules are built on fake arguments - just like most regulations were seeing from conservatives these days.

You all are threatened by rainbow flags and pronouns. I don’t see how Nike symbols are a reach.

And all these ideas seem to come from the same people that want to arm teachers

Who said they were threatened? Link?

On the topic of pronouns.
Wouldn't that be coverd with the associated title of Mr., Miss, Mrs., etc?

I don't really care, just haven't thought about that situation before.

You realize that "fundamental education" is about impressing young minds, right?
I am a independent and I don't like any political or sexual orientation propaganda in school. Keep MAGA, BLM, LGBTQ, GOP/DNC, etc. shirts, posters, flags et al out of schools. Anything politics or religion is poison to learning.
I still don’t see why or how any positional symbols, stickers, etc. make 2+2 not equal four...isn’t that what is important?
Hey look gold mom is being dumb again. Education is about a hell of a lot more than ABC/123.
I see we have an intelligent hillbilly entering the chat.
iu

Who said they were threatened? Link?

I don’t know man. If there’s not a threat it seems problematic to create rules for it. What other reason would you have? We hear all the time about tech companies infringing freedom of speech so I thought it was a big deal to implement this sort of government control.

And by the way - I don’t think either is a free speech issue and I’m glad to see this was done at a school board level, but if there’s no threat here I don’t know why you would support it

In our local community we had a group of parents harass and harangue a teacher who had a pride flag in her room. Same group lost their shit when the school asked 3 kids to stop wearing the Stars and Bars as a cape to school.

I have little faith that these type of stories are as altruistic and politically neutral as people hope they are.

Reactions: gohawks50
I don’t know man. If there’s not a threat it seems problematic to create rules for it. What other reason would you have? We hear all the time about tech companies infringing freedom of speech so I thought it was a big deal to implement this sort of government control.

And by the way - I don’t think either is a free speech issue and I’m glad to see this was done at a school board level, but if there’s no threat here I don’t know why you would support it
My granddaughter is a third grader and I can’t imagine anything in a classroom that’s outside of instruction in language, math, and science. She’s an 8 year old little kid and her parents are both agreeable to their children learning about the world and everything in it. But right now they want her to receive the best foundation for that lifelong education. Their first grader is a rambunctious little guy whose teacher will have her hands full with him and she’ll have no time to spend on anything but the basics anyway.

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT