ADVERTISEMENT

Working in the private sector

Thomas Barnes

All-Conference
Feb 1, 2014
Denver, Colorado
What is it like? I have always worked in a government job and have recently thought about doing something for a normal company. Is it hard to get into sales or something like that? I have about a year and a half of college and did not graduate.

I do not hate my job but I would like to make a little more money to.

What is it like? I have always worked in a government job and have recently thought about doing something for a normal company. Is it hard to get into sales or something like that? I have about a year and a half of college and did not graduate.

You have an Edward Snowden look to you. I didn't think you should be trusted working in government.

Most private sector employers would prefer to hire someone who can handle making a thread on the first attempt.

I'd stick to the public sector.

You better stay put. The private sector requires hard work, skill, talent and results. You have demonstrated a lack of these pre-requisites.

Ha, a lot of people get by in the private sector by who they know not skills or talent. Depending on your job you may be at the mercy of shareholders and the job can be volatile. Yes, you may make a lot of money but you may not have job security and the benefits may be worse. I like it because there's lots of room for promotion and hard work/skills/talent tend to rise to the top.

Thomas Barnes, have you thought of working for the
Federal government? It pays well and has good benefits.
Take a Civil Service exam and your college background
will help you. In the Denver area, you have a U.S. Mint
and in Colorado there should be other Federal govt. jobs
available Good Luck!.

I worked 40 hours in 4 days this week and I produce results every day. I work hard and was looking for ideas, not insults!

No....a whole 40 hours!!!! JFC. I spent years working 60-80 hours minimum. That is what is required if you want to actually get ahead in the private sector.

Seriously, I gave you good advice....stay put in your cushy public sector job where little is expected. You will fail in the private sector.
Ha, a lot of people get by in the private sector by who they know not skills or talent. Depending on your job you may be at the mercy of shareholders and the job can be volatile. Yes, you may make a lot of money but you may not have job security and the benefits may be worse. I like it because there's lots of room for promotion and hard work/skills/talent tend to rise to the top.

False, and stupid. If I own a business...why would I pay someone who is not productive. Why would I sacrifice my income and business for a slacker.

This is a common narrative of the non-ambitious public sector workers who slide by on the taxpayer with little work and less talent.

Thomas Barnes, have you thought of working for the
Federal government? It pays well and has good benefits.
Take a Civil Service exam and your college background
will help you. In the Denver area, you have a U.S. Mint
and in Colorado there should be other Federal govt. jobs
available Good Luck!.

I'm thinking that Civil Service Exam will be a major hurdle for Thomas.

I can't figure out if this Barnes guy is for real... The only person that knows if Barnes is real, is Barnes....

14203-14977.jpg

Wow, you do not quit!! Is this part of your 80 hours of work?? I think you are lying. At least I do not make things up, plus there are times we go 50 hours a week when overtime is approved.

I rarely work 80 hours a week at this stage of my career. I have others to whom I delegate, now. Maybe when I include my side businesses, I still do sometimes.

I hope you can survive the times you actually have to work 50 hours in a whole week. That's oppressive.

You don't know what it's like out there!!! I've WORKED in the private sector....they expect results!

I worked in the public sector for 5 years. Recently I got offered a private sector job I couldn't turn down. I had a pretty good handle on things at my old job... 40 hours a week, great benefits. Now I'm swamped and on salary. I just went into work at 6 am this morning and have to go back in at 6 pm tonight due to running some testing.

Private sector will make you work, public sector can make you work if you're motivated. There are turds everywhere, just don't be one and you will succeed.

Reactions: coffhawk
If you are willing to work on commission alone, you can get into sales pretty easy. Good luck.

What type of sales?
I sell tax and cost mitigation services for a variety of companies. My main services are provided by a company called GMG. You can contact them to become a rep. You sell to businesses. You are selling a service that cost the client nothing upfront, they only pay if you actually find them tax saving. You don't personally run the tax audits, that gets done by a team of accountants and lawyers, you just present the service and follow up. You earn a percent of their savings, which routinely are 6 figure sums. A couple of deals a month makes for a pretty comfortable living.

http://gmgsavings.com

I sell tax and cost mitigation services for a variety of companies. My main services are provided by a company called GMG. You can contact them to become a rep. You sell to businesses. You are selling a service that cost the client nothing upfront, they only pay if you actually find them tax saving. You don't personally run the tax audits, that gets done by a team of accountants and lawyers, you just present the service and follow up. You earn a percent of their savings, which routinely are 6 figure sums. A couple of deals a month makes for a pretty comfortable living.

http://gmgsavings.com
Sounds interesting. Is it some pyramid scheme? I'm no expert on pyramid schemes, so I'll have to refer to my experts on pyramid schemes

Sounds interesting. Is it some pyramid scheme? I'm no expert on pyramid schemes, so I'll have to refer to my experts on pyramid schemes
Nope, you're an independant sales rep selling a service. You are not recruiting others to join you in a business opportunity.

Nope, your an independant sales rep selling a service. You are not recruiting others to join you in a business opportunity.
Saving business money on taxes sounds like conservative work. You sure you're not a closet leading conservative?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT