ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Flipping Call Since 1972 Summer Olympics Gold Medal Hoops Game USA vs USSR

Re #2, yes it happened to IU 2 years ago in a tight one vs Cincinnati. Refs initially went to look for Fumble vs Incomplete Pass due to arm moving forward? During ensuing review, the Refs saw IU LB McFadden’s hand graze across the face mask of Cincy qb. Unbelievably, they called targeting to the head area and out of the game!! Refs totally ignored fact the Cincy OL had blocked him into the QB while airborne. This was mid-2nd qtr, when IU still led and hadn’t given up a first down at that point. So, unfortunately for #2, guess it can happen.

Re #2, yes it happened to IU 2 years ago in a tight one vs Cincinnati. Refs initially went to look for Fumble vs Incomplete Pass due to arm moving forward? During ensuing review, the Refs saw IU LB McFadden’s hand graze across the face mask of Cincy qb. Unbelievably, they called targeting to the head area and out of the game!! Refs totally ignored fact the Cincy OL had blocked him into the QB while airborne. This was mid-2nd qtr, when IU still led and hadn’t given up a first down at that point. So, unfortunately for #2, guess it can happen.
I’ve watched enough football to see some pretty unbelievable calls like the one you brought up. It is an extra level of bad though when it single handedly changes the outcome of the game, and potentially the conference championship game as well.

JFC, the sheep who are putting all the focus on that call and not asking KF about the fact that we had 127 yards of offense and 11 yards rushing... lol.
Have you seen the threads on this board the last few months (years)? Believe me, we have fans that are aware of and putting plenty of focus on the bad offense.

Reactions: Chuck C
This was the most corrupt officiating in Kinnick Stadium since 2005 Michigan. Just brutal.

A coach cannot challenge and force a review to make a targeting call. It says that explicitly in the rule book. But the refs did whatever Fleck wanted yesterday. He sure as heck was the reason that they went to the review booth.

From the rule book it says a catch after an invalid signal is not a fair catch.

Instant replay can be used to look for a fair catch on a kick. But the rule doesn’t say that you can use it to look for an invalid fair catch. If the words in the book are to be trusted as they are written, then they couldn’t review the arm waving and say that was an invalid fair catch. They could only say if it was a real fair catch and we tried to advance it.

If I was a lawyer I would absolutely be arguing that since the rule book says an invalid signal is not a fair catch and only a fair catch can be reviewed, the the refs were full of shit.

I actually remember that exact play you are talking about in Indiana-Cincy game.
I know exactly where I was at during USA-USSR basketball game.
Yesterday's loss sux.

I've seen so many blatantly criminal calls in sports in my lifetime it's hard to say which has been the worst. This one ranks up there with the, "Fail Mary" call in the Green Bay - Seattle game a few years ago and the game in 1990 when Colorado was given a 5th down to beat Missouri at the end of the game.

Reactions: Dauminator
Worst call is every time Brian Ferentz sends in a offensive play.

Longest play of 2nd half was a QB sneak

1. Is the call reviewable?
2. Can you review a call for one thing and then rule on another issue?
3. What is the signal for a fair catch?
4. Where is the decision made?
  1. Yes it’s reviewable. All scoring plays are. Had he gone down at the one it still could have been reviewed.
  2. Yes
  3. Hand above head, but this was for invalid
  4. Who knows. Wouldn’t be surprised if Witvoet was involved.
My snag is that all reviewable plays have to be indisputable and this is 100% interpretation. Since it was not interpreted that ways by anyone on offense, defense, officials, fans, commentators etc then there is no way to change that call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT