ADVERTISEMENT

Would Kirk be open to a complete overhaul on offense?

HawkeyeGenius

HR Heisman
Nov 25, 2021
There are things that Iowa does that still would work. It's time for a new OC, QB coach, and OL coach. It's also time to hit the portal. Would Kirk bring in an outsider and let them have full control with some new ideas is the question.

Reactions: Wingman137
Who do you propose would overhaul the offense? Hire a real OC and that could be done but Brian isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
I know I'm in the tiny minority here...but I think the biggest problem in the program is Barnett.
If iowa had a good offensive line, maybe the QB play wouldn't have been such a horrible weakness.

We have two sophomore starters who should never see the field.

Kaleb Johnson looked good...even as bad as the blocking was. If we ran the ball effectively that hides our QBs a lot more.

A solid running game with our special teams and a rested defense probably has us at 10-2...and most would be pretty happy.

I know that doesn't address a major problem in the program but. Barnet needs to go....saw nothing from his unit that inspires confidence moving foward.

I know I'm in the tiny minority here...but I think the biggest problem in the program is Barnett.
If iowa had a good offensive line, maybe the QB play wouldn't have been such a horrible weakness.

Kaleb Johnson looked good...even as bad as the blocking was. If we ran the ball effectively that hides our QBs a lot more.

A solid running game with our special teams and a rested defense probably has us at 10-2...and most would be pretty happy.

I know that doesn't address a major problem in the program but. Barnet needs to go....saw nothing from his unit that inspires confidence moving foward.
My worry is with knowing how stubborn KF is, he's going to view any coaching changes as an admission of being wrong.

I think he's content with those 7-8 win seasons so his son and SIL have jobs.

Again, the problem is Barta is more worried about keeping the gravy train rolling and $$$ from the B1G office.
Changes need to be made, but I'm just not sure we see them.

Kirk could possibly bring in someone from the outside. It would be someone who is about ready to retire or should have retired some he can maintain control and pay them very little for another stale product!

He's gotten pretty comfortable shrugging and pointing out the success he's had the past 24 years as proof that nothing needs to change. The truth is he's sustained Iowa as a perennial 7-9 win program playing against a soft conference schedule, sprinkling in the occasional magical W against top-5 teams, and being a regular at the Outback Bowl. For a lot of fans that's enough and we should be thankful. For others, there's the question of how much better could we be if KF wasn't content with being a program that wins 7-9 every year but will rarely challenge for championships.

My worry is with knowing how stubborn KF is, he's going to view any coaching changes as an admission of being wrong.

Again, the problem is Barta is more worried about keeping the gravy train rolling and $$$ from the B1G office.
I agree with kirk being fine with 7-8 win seasons. He has kept his thoughts on the difficulty of recruiting to iowa...hell...is assistants are now saying it.

But he is off his rocker if he thinks Brian is the next coach. Anyone want to put a dollar amount on lost alumni donations that would cause?

My guess he is waiting to ride off into the sunset in the Rose Bowl.

That will never happen doing what they are doing.....this will end with a couple 4-8 type seasons

I would be ok with a demotion for Brian back to OL coach. He can even be considered co-OC for all I care. It wouldn’t look as bad.

But if we go this route, then we need to give a new OC control of the passing game. We can keep our run game. The reason it’s not as productive is because of the passing game. There isn’t a team in FBS that respects our passing game.

Kirk on offense...

iu

Reactions: Thunderlips71
What we will probably hear is how we are adding new twist and wrinkles to the offense and how Kirk is adapting some. That will be the narrative all spring and fall. Come early non conf we may throw in some new plays and “open” it up some more like Nevada game. But come conference play be same old offense. This even more so if Kirk keeps fredo around to run the offense.

Iowa football is bigger than any of us. It's bigger than Kirk and Brian Ferentz. Which is absolutely why big changes in philosophy need to be made. It goes back to that saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well the Iowa offense is broken.
Unfortunately, many fans have forgotten this. They think Kirk *is* the Iowa football program. They are convinced there are NO OTHER coaches that could do as well or maybe even better. They are petrified with fear because they KNOW when Kirk leaves the program will automatically become a 3-4 win team forever.

There are things that Iowa does that still would work. It's time for a new OC, QB coach, and OL coach. It's also time to hit the portal. Would Kirk bring in an outsider and let them have full control with some new ideas is the question.
No, send QB to East coast passing Guru and he'll sellout stadium again.

Unfortunately, many fans have forgotten this. They think Kirk *is* the Iowa football program. They are convinced there are NO OTHER coaches that could do as well or maybe even better. They are petrified with fear because they KNOW when Kirk leaves the program will automatically become a 3-4 win team forever.
You're exactly right. All we hear is how things could go back to the Commings and Lauterbur days.

I wouldn’t be surprised if BF took an NFL job. If KF has to replace him, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were with Paul Chryst, which wouldn’t be a change in philosophy.

• Sad
Reactions: hawkandroll
My guess he is waiting to ride off into the sunset in the Rose Bowl.
LOL. Then maybe he should have had his team prepared to play football yesterday. They beat a 3-win team at home and they are literally 1 win away. Those opportunities don’t come often, and I would bet that this season was KF’s very last chance.

Exactly. He can never admit he might have made a mistake about anything. "Just need to clean a few things up."

The issue with bringing in new assts is KFs age. Guys will know he's nearing retirement and might not be willing to do a 1-2 year gig?

There might not be any good solution to the current dilemma.

KF has 6 or 7 years on his buyout? He's no where close to retiring. He won't retire with that money on the table, easy job. Who wants to become irrelevant and tend a garden?

So Michigan is proving your point. If you can be more physical than your opponent than yes. However, we really haven’t had a solid, consistent running game in a long time. We’ve had some good individual linemen, but 160-185 yards a game is what I would consider a dominant run game, which then can open up the passing game. Not a o line guru and not around the program every day so no idea if our coach is that bad or our players are that bad. Or possibly both. You can’t consistently beat better teams being as bad as we are offensively.

Reactions: BigHawk
LOL. Then maybe he should have had his team prepared to play football yesterday. They beat a 3-win team at home and they are literally 1 win away. Those opportunities don’t come often, and I would bet that this season was KF’s very last chance.
As I mentioned...that will never happen. And we could play Michigan 10 times this year and never beat them. We don't have one offensive starter that would start for them. I suspect their reserves are better than our starters as well.

No.

Quite a simple answer.

Providing Kirk does not retire at season's end, (Which we all know he won't) then this is what I believe he needs to do. First, Either FIRE Brian, or what I would prefer, demote Brian to OL coach and give the current OL coach his walking papers. Second, hire the BEST OC with QB coaching experience he can find and turn the offense entirely over to him. If that means scrapping the Pro style offense so be it, as Kirk might want to learn that their are other forms of offense that have shown to be more productive in College football. Next, scour the transfer portal for QB's, offensive Lineman and WR's. I think Iowa should also, (if one is available) look for an edge pass rusher with some speed. Keeping Proctor would be a big deal, but if not, then we severely are in need of some tackles via the transfer portal. We need a new offense that does not require a QB to be in the system for multiple years to understand. That at the college level is stupid. If 130 other D1 schools are capable of starting a Freshman QB, Iowa should be able as well.

Providing Kirk does not retire at season's end, (Which we all know he won't) then this is what I believe he needs to do. First, Either FIRE Brian, or what I would prefer, demote Brian to OL coach and give the current OL coach his walking papers. Second, hire the BEST OC with QB coaching experience he can find and turn the offense entirely over to him. If that means scrapping the Pro style offense so be it, as Kirk might want to learn that their are other forms of offense that have shown to be more productive in College football. Next, scour the transfer portal for QB's, offensive Lineman and WR's. I think Iowa should also, (if one is available) look for an edge pass rusher with some speed. Keeping Proctor would be a big deal, but if not, then we severely are in need of some tackles.
Why do any of you think like this? What leads you to believe he’s going to fire his son and actually bring in an outside influence and open up his offense? Nobody at Iowa has the power to tell him what to do. We’ve done this to ourselves and given him a lifetime contract.

Reactions: Macbride79
I wouldn’t be surprised if BF took an NFL job. If KF has to replace him, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were with Paul Chryst, which wouldn’t be a change in philosophy.
We don’t need a change in philosophy. The problem is our dumpster fire of an offense can’t execute the ball control we need to be successful. We need better playcalls and better execution, and that starts with removing BF

Why do any of you think like this? What leads you to believe he’s going to fire his son and actually bring in an outside influence and open up his offense? Nobody at Iowa has the power to tell him what to do. We’ve done this to ourselves and given him a lifetime contract.
I did not say he would fire his son, I said he should, or at least should demote him to OL coach. GO back and read it again. I said this is what I would do. Good grief, dude, try the decaf. LOL BTW

I did not say he would fire his son, I said he should, or at least should demote him to OL coach. GO back and read it again. I said this is what I would do. Good grief, dude, try the decaf. LOL BTW
So you said either fire him or demote him. Again, I’m what world do you think that happens? Kirk has gone all in on this. To fire his son or demote him has got to come from Barta. And I don’t think he’s got the cahones to tell Kirk what to do.

So you said either fire him or demote him. Again, I’m what world do you think that happens? Kirk has gone all in on this. To fire his son or demote him has got to come from Barta. And I don’t think he’s got the cahones to tell Kirk what to do.
Just to clarify, Brian reports to Barta. That mean our incompetent AD “could” fire the incompetent OC. Buyout would be less than $1 million. If Kirk chooses to walk away at that point not a buyout.

Just to clarify, Brian reports to Barta. That mean our incompetent AD “could” fire the incompetent OC. Buyout would be less than $1 million. If Kirk chooses to walk away at that point not a buyout.
Do you think Kirk stays on if Barta plays the hatchet man on his kid? I’m serious here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT