ADVERTISEMENT

Wyatt Henson in the transfer portal

We all would hate to see that, but why would progams get dropped? I just don't see it.

NIL doesn't increase program costs, if anything it can reduce it. There is already only 9.9 scholarship limit for a wrestling room of 35. Seems like the other 25.1 would have a chance to be better taken care of.

Do you think a school being a little less competitive in terms of Ws & Ls or Championship team points justifies them getting dropped?

Do you think current University Presidents currently care about the on-field performance of non-revenue sports?

I think coaches will coach the student athlete in front of them, and the student body, alumni, and fanatics of a given non-revenue sport will continue to support the student athletes of their team.
I think, but do not know, that some programs will get frustrated with the inability to move up the ladder and improve their lot. As amateur athletics morphs further and further towards professional sports I think there will be drops, inside and outside of wrestling, at various programs.

I think, but do not know, that some programs will get frustrated with the inability to move up the ladder and improve their lot. As amateur athletics morphs further and further towards professional sports I think there will be drops, inside and outside of wrestling, at various programs.
I guess anything is possible.

Small school D1 conferences (SOCON and MAC) have already complained about RTCs as a competitive advantage that they don't have resources for.

Still, I don't see why some amount of less or more competitiveness would tip the scale to drop any non-revenue sport, including wrestling.

Do you think with Under Armour money, the University of Maryland would like to use NIL to move up the ladder?

Why should their hypothetical ability to move up be outweighed by another moving down? I mean when one goes up, another must necessarily go down.

Others have already said only a half-dozen or so teams have a realistic chance of a podium finish each year. I don't see why NIL $ would change that.

Reactions: Yellow Snow
I guess anything is possible.

Small school D1 conferences (SOCON and MAC) have already complained about RTCs as a competitive advantage that they don't have resources for.

Still, I don't see why some amount of less or more competitiveness would tip the scale to drop any non-revenue sport, including wrestling.

Do you think with Under Armour money, the University of Maryland would like to use NIL to move up the ladder?

Why should their hypothetical ability to move up be outweighed by another moving down? I mean when one goes up, another must necessarily go down.

Others have already said only a half-dozen or so teams have a realistic chance of a podium finish each year. I don't see why NIL $ would change that.
I agree with the bolded in your quote. The same basic number of teams will be in play for podium finishes, but NIL $ allows for 5-6 teams to shake out differently each year if the school REALLY wants to. Legally.

I guess what I am saying is that there is nothing holding ASU back, or ISU for that matter from barging into the conversation now. Within the rules. Pay the guys and win.

Thought of this quote by the Badger QB Mertz when Bucky might get Caleb Williams from Oklahoma -

“It’s a coach’s job to find the best player,” Mertz said. “What am I going to say? `Aww, no, I deserve this?’ I don’t deserve anything. I’ve got to prove it every day, prove it’s my job. And that’s what I’m going to do. That’s what I’ve always done.”

Last edited:
Thought of this quote by the Badger QB Mertz when Bucky got Caleb Williams from Oklahoma -

“It’s a coach’s job to find the best player,” Mertz said. “What am I going to say? `Aww, no, I deserve this?’ I don’t deserve anything. I’ve got to prove it every day, prove it’s my job. And that’s what I’m going to do. That’s what I’ve always done.”

Though I agree with the sentiment, I couldn’t be more confused. Williams is going to USC, not Wisconsin.

Reactions: dunkej01
MatScouts updated Senior Big Board:
#3 - Swiderski
#14 - Gaitan
#19 - Rojas
#77 - Euton
#85 - Perryman

That is the class as of now for ISU.
Nice haul. Like I said, Nebraska football gets elite recruits every year. Fidone was the #2 TE recruit in the country and in the top 2-3% of all recruits last year.

Though I agree with the sentiment, I couldn’t be more confused. Williams is going to USC, not Wisconsin.
Yeah they it was rumored for awhile he was looking at Wisky. Bad typing on my part. ** fixed

Nice haul. Like I said, Nebraska football gets elite recruits every year. Fidone was the #2 TE recruit in the country and in the top 2-3% of all recruits last year.
Bad example. He’s been injured the whole time he’s been there.

From a poster on our board, these are the teams that have been in contact. Any info on what way he may be leaning?

Teams that contacted Henson right away.

Iowa State
Nebraska
Mizzou
Arizona State
Wisconsin
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Reactions: Trapper85 and mcpat
Henson registered for the us open at 61kg. Maybe there’s more to the transfer than just woods coming in because if he’s wrestling 61 you would think he’d be right in there to start at 33 for at least next year
Doesn’t Woods have 2 years still? Not sure 133 would be a lock for him either, how does he compare to schriever?

Reactions: el dub
Doesn’t Woods have 2 years still? Not sure 133 would be a lock for him either, how does he compare to schriever?
Yeah woods has 2 years left but Murin is done after next year so it could of been possible to go shriever, henson, woods the next year. And when it comes to Henson Schriever I have no real clue but I think most were assuming Henson was slightly better

Reactions: NCHawk5
Not sure if this was discussed but is it possible Henson was planning to enter the portal before the Woods news? Could explain how they had a full scholarship to give Woods (although no clue how much scholarship Henson was getting)?

Reactions: Gobblin
How do we know how much Woods is getting?

He said he got a full ride in the Bader interview.

Edit: I guess it’s possible the scholarship was coming from somewhere besides the 9.9, but that would probably raise even more questions about the “poaching” stuff if Brands had that figured out the day Woods hit the portal…

He said he got a full ride in the Bader interview.

Edit: I guess it’s possible the scholarship was coming from somewhere besides the 9.9, but that would probably raise even more questions about the “poaching” stuff if Brands had that figured out the day Woods hit the portal…

Thanks for the explanation. My guess is that a Stanford grad might do well from an academic scholarship standpoint. It’s hardly a state secret that academic scholarships are available at colleges and universities. Often significant. Total speculation here but I’d bet dollars to donuts it’s a combo of athletic and academic that gets him there.

How much wider do you think it can get? Penn State scored nearly double the amount of points as the 4th place team.

As long as Iowa is one of those top 4-5, and other schools don't drop their programs, why should we care?
Because now the other teams don’t even have a chance. If they actually develop a kid who turns out to be an AA as a jr the few big schools can just swoop in and pay him lol. In football it’s horrible. It’s time to blow up the ncaa. P5 about to do their own thing anyway.

Because now the other teams don’t even have a chance. If they actually develop a kid who turns out to be an AA as a jr the few big schools can just swoop in and pay him lol. In football it’s horrible. It’s time to blow up the ncaa. P5 about to do their own thing anyway.
Here's a weird on on the NIL front. Sean Clifford is starting an agency to represent college players in NIL deals. As PSU quarterback, he represents other athletes from other schools in pursuing NIL deals. How does that not turn into poaching other players to PSU. How does that affect his play? What if one wide receiver is his client? Would an NFL team want a receiver's QB to be his agent when he would benefit directly from his client and potential passing target's incentives? What a mess.
How would you guys feel if you found out Drake Ayala was now represented by Sean Clifford? Not very good if it were me.

Here's a weird on on the NIL front. Sean Clifford is starting an agency to represent college players in NIL deals. As PSU quarterback, he represents other athletes from other schools in pursuing NIL deals. How does that not turn into poaching other players to PSU. How does that affect his play? What if one wide receiver is his client? Would an NFL team want a receiver's QB to be his agent when he would benefit directly from his client and potential passing target's incentives? What a mess.
How would you guys feel if you found out Drake Ayala was now represented by Sean Clifford? Not very good if it were me.

it would leave room for influence but my biggest concern is pairing ayala with another guy who hurt his shoulder in iowa city

• Haha
Reactions: wyldhawk9

I guess I probably should have said something like "what are the chances"... Of course it's possible. But him entering the portal the day after Woods committing certainly makes it look like it was due to Woods...

I guess I probably should have said something like "what are the chances"... Of course it's possible. But him entering the portal the day after Woods committing certainly makes it look like it was due to Woods...
If you decide to leave immediately after something like that happening, you’re either irrationally reactionary or already had a foot out the door and this confirmed your feelings of leaving. Going with the 2nd…

I would not feel any different about this situation than if their tax preparer went to Michigan or their lawyer went to Cornell or their dentist Ohio State. 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you decide to leave immediately after something like that happening, you’re either irrationally reactionary or already had a foot out the door and this confirmed your feelings of leaving. Going with the 2nd…

Fair, but didn't he transfer twice while he was in high school (and I'm not saying Wyatt is the one making all of these decisions)?

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Which is why this sport, maybe even above football and basketball, will become the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers.
The Giants, Nats, Braves, Cubs & Royals have all won WS in the last 10 years. Not apples to apples as Baseball is nothing like college wrestling...where 1 team, and 1 team only dominates...and will for the next 2 years. The 5 or 6 other teams have been battling for 2nd place.

The Giants, Nats, Braves, Cubs & Royals have all won WS in the last 10 years. Not apples to apples as Baseball is nothing like college wrestling...where 1 team, and 1 team only dominates...and will for the next 2 years. The 5 or 6 other teams have been battling for 2nd place.
You are missing my point on how revenues get distributed and why there are scenarios where Oakland has less of a payroll than that of 1-2 star players on the teams I mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT