ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

I don't go to Cyclone Fanatic, but the consensus on Cyclone Report is that he'll probably go to Iowa City....family connections, style of play, etc. Although -- just as on this board -- there is speculation about what the signing of the Murray twins might mean, if anything.

I don't think any of the people who actually have information about this post on internet message boards.:)

Read on another site that Fran will take both Foster and Ogundele if they commit. He must know some things about the numbers we don't.

JBo plays, JW to NBA, Till's schollie for one year, Pemsl grad transfers, Garza has a great junior year and declares, Connor switches to baseball. Fran is dealing with a lot of variables which he may not even know.

Would love a post, pf, two wings, sg and pg in the class. Only time will tell.

I have no idea. However, the most reliable posters who have "In's" with the staff and normally break news and know stuff are reporting it. They never miss. Same people reported Murray Twins would commit to Iowa a day before it happened and a day before anyone even knew they were being recruited by Iowa.

Okay, so who are those people?

Read on another site that Fran will take both Foster and Ogundele if they commit. He must know some things about the numbers we don't.

JBo plays, JW to NBA, Till's schollie for one year, Pemsl grad transfers, Garza has a great junior year and declares, Connor switches to baseball. Fran is dealing with a lot of variables which he may not even know.

Would love a post, pf, two wings, sg and pg in the class. Only time will tell.

He can easily move both of his kids off scholarship if he wants.

Do you think Foster thinks his game is more like Cook's or more like Niang's?
Since Foster is listed at 7' , Cook at 6'9" and Niang is 6'7" ish maybe 6'6", I don't think either. Can't think of any ISU players like him. For the Hawks may have to go back to Brad Lohaus for somebody with that length that has some range.

Would love to see Foster come to Iowa and become a Brad Lohaus/Reggie Evans hybrid

Since Foster is listed at 7' , Cook at 6'9" and Niang is 6'7" ish maybe 6'6", I don't think either. Can't think of any ISU players like him. For the Hawks may have to go back to Brad Lohaus for somebody with that length that has some range.

Would love to see Foster come to Iowa and become a Brad Lohaus/Reggie Evans hybrid

He's more like Bullard than Brad.

But I'm not talking about what his skills are, but rather how he perceives them.

He's more like Bullard than Brad.

But I'm not talking about what his skills are, but rather how he perceives them.

I was going to suggest he might be more like Michael Payne, but already more filled out, and you could hope he could play defense like Ryan Bowen. I don't see the Evans comparison at all. Then again I have only seen his film, not him playing a whole game in person.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest he might be more like Michael Payne, but already more filled out, and you could hope he could play defense like Ryan Bowen. I don't see the Evans comparison at all. Than again I have only seen his film, not play a whole game.
The only Reggie Evans comp. is that they both play basketball.

I would say Foster is a stretch 4 and now a Power Forward. Huge difference. BTW I have never seen Iowa State fans so convinced that any recruit is going to Iowa State. Not to mention most insiders are saying Iowa State. I am not even talking Crystal ball picks from people who are not even from Iowa. Ill stick with my Iowa State pick. I know to much on this one.

I always felt like Foster might would up going out of state. If his final two are Iowa/ISU, isn't kind of odd that he's holding out for 3 more weeks? He knows everything he'll need to know about these schools, they've recruited him for 4 years.

If he's as much of an ISU lock as you say he his, one would think he would just commit instead of stretching the process out another 3 weeks

Reactions: mtdew_fever
His uncle is former Hawk OL AJ Blazek IIRC.
Nile Kinnick's dad played for Iowa State. Brett Greenwood's father and uncle were stars at Iowa State. Your kickoff guy's dad was one of the best kickers ever to play for Iowa State.
All of the players you mentioned have one thing in common - they had relatives with ties to Iowa State but they went to Iowa, not the other way around:)

All of the players you mentioned have one thing in common - they had relatives with ties to Iowa State but they went to Iowa, not the other way around:)
Mark Gannon's brother started for Earle Bruce. My point was just that while family ties probably is a major factor, it isn't something that always holds true.

Equally strange to compare Niang and Foster.

Foster's game is closer to Garza's than Niang's or Evan's.

The most comparable player is likely actually Nunge. Tall fairly athletic post with a decent midrange jumper.

Reactions: BBHawk
I havent seen Foster play in person, but he is 4+ inches taller than Niang and not a poor FT or 3pt shooter. I think Niang arrived at ISU a better shooter with some very crafty inside moves along with the ability to drive.

I don't think the comparisons are all that fair.

The most comparable player is likely actually Nunge. Tall fairly athletic post with a decent midrange jumper.

My Cyclone fan neighbor keeps sending me this. I don't think Xavier is that focused on the NBA.

QUOTE="Hawks2405, post: 7006323, member: 8396"]This place will implode if Fran doesn’t get Foster. I get it if he were to choose Kansas or another blue blood, but ISU? Yikes, that would sting.
[/QUOTE]
What does hoiberg players have to do with prohm?

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
This NBA roster thing is a big heaping spoonful of "who cares." Funny, I don't see virginia on here, which has been one of the best programs in the country the last several years. Funny, I don't see Michigan State on here, consistently one of the best programs in the country over the last 20 years. I don't see Louisville, or Gonzaga, or Syracuse.

I do see Texas, and UCLA, and Indiana, programs that get lots of high caliber players, but haven't been really good in about a decade. Call me a hater, but I don't think Texas did anything particularly special with Mo Bamba to put him in the NBA.

Finally, of ISU's 8 rostered players, only one plays meaningful minutes. This isn't like Iowa football alum who are pro-bowlers year in and year out.

This "but our NBA players" response is a shiny narrative that doesn't mean much when you look behind the gloss.

Who cares? Recruits care! Do you want to make millions playing in the NBA after college or do you want a 9-5? Prohm has showed an ability to get players to the league at a FAR superior clip than Fran.
Recruits also aren’t stupid. You think he just glanced at that and says, “yup, they got more nba guys”? He knows both teams and coaches well. If foster plays and trains hard, he’ll make the nba if he decides to go to drake.

Reactions: anon_wic6m41528ao4
His parents didn't go to Iowa did they?

I just saw someone say he was a legacy recruit and I didn’t think that was the case.[/QUOTE]

Xavier's grandfather played for the Hawks. I believe maybe his mother did as well? No quoting me on that one... AJ Blazek is an in-law as well. LOTS of Hawkeye Nation connections here. I really do not think ISU would even be in the picture, if not for his girlfriend.

Recruits also aren’t stupid. You think he just glanced at that and says, “yup, they got more nba guys”? He knows both teams and coaches well. If foster plays and trains hard, he’ll make the nba if he decides to go to drake.

So a highschool offensive lineman recruit has just as good of a shot to make the NFL if he goes to Iowa State as opposed to Iowa? Because I mean Iowa has a pretty good track record of developing Olineman and sending them to the league. Similar to what Iowa State is doing lately in basketball.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I have no idea. However, the most reliable posters who have "In's" with the staff and normally break news and know stuff are reporting it. They never miss. Same people reported Murray Twins would commit to Iowa a day before it happened and a day before anyone even knew they were being recruited by Iowa.

If they "know" that he is a Cyclone, then why wait until November 11th to announce his decision!? XF is not a flamboyant primadonna here. He is not out to get attention, otherwise he would be doing just that. And saying, "look at me".

I see none of that from him. He is a humble cat for sure. Which makes me like him even more. He does not seem like the ISU type(s)... Quite the opposite really.

But if his puppy love gets the better of him, and he wants to follow his GF, then I guess we are screwed.

So a highschool offensive lineman recruit has just as good of a shot to make the NFL if he goes to Iowa State as opposed to Iowa? Because I mean Iowa has a pretty good track record of developing Olineman and sending them to the league. Similar to what Iowa State is doing lately in basketball.

You're comparing Iowa's NFL talent development to ISU in basketball?

Who outside of maybe Morris is doing much more than holding a clipboard and passing out towels to the starters?

Iowa has several All Pros and a couple future HOF NFL players on active rosters.

Most people outside of Ames can't tell you a name of an ISU NBA player.

I’ll admit to ignorance regarding scholarship rules but aren’t they year to year?

B1G guarantees 4 year schollies to players that were recruited to the school with a scholarship so that would only apply to Patrick since Connor walked on his first year.

Patrick could give up his scholly if he wanted to for Fran to add another player.

ADVERTISEMENT