ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

So a highschool offensive lineman recruit has just as good of a shot to make the NFL if he goes to Iowa State as opposed to Iowa? Because I mean Iowa has a pretty good track record of developing Olineman and sending them to the league. Similar to what Iowa State is doing lately in basketball.
This is not hard to understand guy.

Prohm's track record is in developing guards/wings. The Iowa State puts guys in the NBA argument is not applicable for Foster. It's the equivalent of Kirk Ferentz touting Iowa's development to a star wide receiver recruit.

Reactions: hexumhawk
I havent seen Foster play in person, but he is 4+ inches taller than Niang and not a poor FT or 3pt shooter. I think Niang arrived at ISU a better shooter with some very crafty inside moves along with the ability to drive.

I don't think the comparisons are all that fair.

That's cool and all but I said Nunge not Niang

I just saw someone say he was a legacy recruit and I didn’t think that was the case.

Xavier's grandfather played for the Hawks. I believe maybe his mother did as well? No quoting me on that one... AJ Blazek is an in-law as well. LOTS of Hawkeye Nation connections here. I really do not think ISU would even be in the picture, if not for his girlfriend.[/QUOTE]

Xavier's Grandpa is Mark Fetter from South Tama. Played RB for the Hawks from '72-'75. Xavier's parents both went to William Penn - his Dad played basketball and his Mom played volleyball. A.J. Blazek is an uncle on the Fetter side.

Prohm's track record is in developing guards/wings. The Iowa State puts guys in the NBA argument is not applicable for Foster. It's the equivalent of Kirk Ferentz touting Iowa's development to a star wide receiver recruit.

What's McCaffreys track record (guard/forward/center doesnt matter)? Nader and Burton are both forwards and both likely owe much of their NBA careers to Prohm. Not to mention Niang (he was playing at an elite level before and after Prohm came).

What's McCaffreys track record (guard/forward/center doesnt matter)? Nader and Burton are both forwards and both likely owe much of their NBA careers to Prohm. Not to mention Niang (he was playing at an elite level before and after Prohm came).
LOL.

I’ve never seen a fan base jerk itself off so much over putting a bunch of benchwarmers in a professional league than Iowa State basketball fans. It would be the equivalent of Iowa putting exclusively backup and third string players in the NFL and bragging about how much of an NFL factory they are. So bizarre.

And let's just stop with this anyway. Nobody outside of Iowa thinks of either school as NBA talent developers.

Boston College has more meaningful players than Iowa and ISU combined, and that's like 2.

And let's just stop with this anyway. Nobody outside of Iowa thinks of either school as NBA talent developers.

Boston College has more meaningful players than Iowa and ISU combined, and that's like 2.

Again as I pointed out to someone else on here please refer to 1:39-2:14 of the video and please rephrase your comment. Remeber this dude is from Florida so it's very outside of Iowa.

So a highschool offensive lineman recruit has just as good of a shot to make the NFL if he goes to Iowa State as opposed to Iowa? Because I mean Iowa has a pretty good track record of developing Olineman and sending them to the league. Similar to what Iowa State is doing lately in basketball.

Lol. Please tell me you're not comparing ISU's NBA success with Iowa's NFL success. How much have you had to drink?

Niang and Nader both played only one year under Prohm. You're telling me he turned those dudes into NBA players in one season? Gtfo bro.

While we're at it lets crown the Murray State head coach as the greatest basketball developer of all time. He's solely responsible for turning Ja Morant into a lottery pick in one season!!

Yea ISU is better at putting players in the league than Iowa. But quit acting like Prohm is a developmental mastermind.

[QUOTE="IAHawk2011, post: 7007906, member: 11128"]I’ve never seen a fan base jerk itself off so much over putting a bunch of benchwarmers in a professional league than Iowa State basketball fans. It would be the equivalent of Iowa putting exclusively backup and third string players in the NFL and bragging about how much of an NFL factory they are. So bizarre.[/QUOTE]

This statement might be the best representation of Iowa state I have ever read.

Reactions: herkhatescy
Again as I pointed out to someone else on here please refer to 1:39-2:14 of the video and please rephrase your comment. Remeber this dude is from Florida so it's very outside of Iowa.

That guy dropped like 38 spots to a 3 star. He only had a couple other P5 offers and some of those dropped off like Florida after they got higher rated players. Let's not pretend you beat out a bunch of blue bloods for a blue chip there.

He's way lower rated than the two SF Iowa has on its roster with Pat and Joe.

Not once they are on scholarships. And they are.

Mark Fetter, a blast from my junior high Hawkeye radio past.

X is surely going the legacy route. I hope the kid understands there are going to be lots of girls between HS and Mrs. Right and several thousand willing supplicants reside in Iowa City.

Plus, let's be honest. The Iowa girls are cuter, obviously.

Reactions: Sumhawk
Xavier's Grandpa is Mark Fetter from South Tama. Played RB for the Hawks from '72-'75. Xavier's parents both went to William Penn - his Dad played basketball and his Mom played volleyball. A.J. Blazek is an uncle on the Fetter side.

Oskaloosa Hawk - You hearing anything around town, maybe from mutual acquaintances, you can share?

That guy dropped like 38 spots to a 3 star. He only had a couple other P5 offers and some of those dropped off like Florida after they got higher rated players. Let's not pretend you beat out a bunch of blue bloods for a blue chip there.

This argument has nothing to do with the point I was making. Good try though.

Reactions: Cydkar
Oskaloosa Hawk - You hearing anything around town, maybe from mutual acquaintances, you can share?

I'm not Osky Hawk but heard at the game Saturday from a tailgate neighbor from Eddyville that a waitress at the local diner overheard Xavier's girlfriend's second cousin felt he would go to either Iowa or Iowa State. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bottom line, nobody knows. The young man has kept it close to the vest. It is his prerogative to take his time. His Dad has been quoted as saying that the family doesn't know which way he is leaning. Hope he becomes a Hawk but if not the sun will rise the next day.

Patience is a virtue, we'll all know on the 11th.

Easy question, who would you rather play for, Steve Prohm or Fran McCaffery? If it was my kid choosing, it would be an easy choice.

Easy question, who would you rather play for, Steve Prohm or Fran McCaffery? If it was my kid choosing, it would be an easy choice.

I would much rather have a kid play for Fran. Prohm hasn’t really done anything of note after Hoibergs players left. They have a ton of roster turnover and internal issues it seems. Someone is always in trouble, fighting with a teammate, etc.

say what you want about Frans recruiting but he has a nearly ten year track record of kids graduating, mostly staying out of trouble, and his players love him.

It doesn't matter what he is rated, he debunked your statement.
Besides, he's higher rated than ANY of Iowa's current commits and had more P5 offers than all 4 combined.

But his opinion doesn't matter because Pat and Joe were higher rated...

Reactions: mtdew_fever
I'm not Osky Hawk but heard at the game Saturday from a tailgate neighbor from Eddyville that a waitress at the local diner overheard Xavier's girlfriend's second cousin felt he would go to either Iowa or Iowa State. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bottom line, nobody knows. The young man has kept it close to the vest. It is his prerogative to take his time. His Dad has been quoted as saying that the family doesn't know which way he is leaning. Hope he becomes a Hawk but if not the sun will rise the next day.

Patience is a virtue, we'll all know on the 11th.

Not sure how you got all of that out of a simple question not even directed to you,

None of that response means he hasn’t heard something given he resides, or is from, Oskaloosa with possible mutual friends or acquaintances. I recall in the past he’s passed along a few tidbits.

What the Foster’s are saying publicly versus privately to a few friends may very well be two different things. Of course I’m not asking him to betray anything said in confidence - that’s why I phrased it as “anything you can share”.

Last edited:

You're arguing with a moron.

Besides, he's higher rated than ANY of Iowa's current commits and had more P5 offers than all 4 combined.

Let us know when we are over on other people's boards bragging about our average recruits. THIS is the clear difference here.

I would much rather have a kid play for Fran. Prohm hasn’t really done anything of note after Hoibergs players left. They have a ton of roster turnover and internal issues it seems. Someone is always in trouble, fighting with a teammate, etc.

say what you want about Frans recruiting but he has a nearly ten year track record of kids graduating, mostly staying out of trouble, and his players love him.
Well some of turnover is related to kids leaving early for the NBA. Halliburton (who I believe you said when he signed there there was an MVC caliber player) will probably be the next to leave early.

Iowa has also had its share of turnover the last couple of years as well. They are not immune either, its the nature of things these days.

Kids play basketball for the fun, for competition, and for opportunities to win and to find a system that will help them expand their game.

I can see Foster choosing ISU so he wont get assaulted by Prohm though.

3633b12b-55a1-43fe-8892-435078ea3cb8-181206-mbb_ISU-003.JPG

Let us know when we are over on other people's boards bragging about our average recruits. THIS is the clear difference here.
Changing the subject is cute. I was directly responding to somebody else.

He didn't debunk anything. ISU got a 3 star recruit that had no better offers and he regurgitated the talking points Prohm and company sold him to justify his decision.

It's not like they beat out other good P5s because they are an NBA talent factory.

This isn't like the Theo Johnson recruitment where Iowa gets into the final 3 for an elite recruit against Michigan, PSU, Georgia and Alabama simply because Iowa is known for NFL tight ends.

Blackwell probably never heard of ISU until he got an offer.

ISU is a joke. If Iowa wins this year in basketball they'll have won 8 of the last 10 combined basketball and football games yet ISU fans still have the audacity to troll here.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Changing the subject is cute. I was directly responding to somebody else.
I clearly responded to your post, where you are bragging about a guy ranked #150 on our board. I didn't change the subject you dolt.

How did he debunk it?

Not sure how you got all of that out of a simple question not even directed to you,

None of that response means he hasn’t heard something given he resides, or is from, Oskaloosa with possible mutual friends or acquaintances. I recall in the past he’s passed along a few tidbits.

What the Foster’s are saying publicly versus privately to a few friends may very well be two different things. Of course I’m not asking him to betray anything said in confidence - that’s why I phrased it as “anything you can share”.

Take a chill pill skydog, just messing with you man. I doubt any friends know anything. I doubt many in the immediate family do either. Big decision and tough decision for the young man to make.

It all comes down to what Xavier feels is best for him. As a parent you give your children options, then it is up to them to decide. I admire how the parents have provided support through the process but are leaving it up to the young man.

ISU is a joke. If Iowa wins this year in basketball they'll have won 8 of the last 10 combined basketball and football games yet ISU fans still have the audacity to troll here.

That can't be correct. I think Iowa has beaten ISU only 2 of the last 5 in basketball.

Take a chill pill skydog, just messing with you man. I doubt any friends know anything. I doubt many in the immediate family do either. Big decision and tough decision for the young man to make.

It all comes down to what Xavier feels is best for him. As a parent you give your children options, then it is up to them to decide. I admire how the parents have provided support through the process but are leaving it up to the young man.

Agree.

Your second response is no more relevant than your first. All of your points in both responses are not in dispute and beyond the scope of my initial question aside from I think it's very possible that some friends and family members may know something; hence my question to OskaloosaHawk.

He didn't debunk anything. ISU got a 3 star recruit that had no better offers and he regurgitated the talking points Prohm and company sold him to justify his decision.

It's not like they beat out other good P5s because they are an NBA talent factory.

This isn't like the Theo Johnson recruitment where Iowa gets into the final 3 for an elite recruit against Michigan, PSU, Georgia and Alabama simply because Iowa is known for NFL tight ends.

Blackwell probably never heard of ISU until he got an offer.

"Nobody outside of Iowa thinks of either school as NBA talent developers."
Debunked on video.

The landscape of college basketball will continue to change with the transfer portal and the one-and-done ... I don't get too caught up in where a kid goes because in today's culture ... the chance that kid stays with you for four years will continue to decrease. Example: Having a kid come in and average 15.2 points for one season and then turn pro? Kid thinking he didn't get enough playing time as a freshman (hello transfer portal)?

The transfer portal allows coaches to rebuild quicker and gives average Joe's (i.e. Texas Tech, Virginia) just as good of chance to land in the Final 4. I think the days of seeing Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc., dominate will slowly come to an end.

As more schools will be faced with rebuilding on a yearly basis, this new landscape should allow a coach like Fran to not only make the tourney ... but make a decent run.

Have a bad season? Bring in 4-5 kids via the transfer portal and you might find yourself right back in the thick of things.

I'd love to see us land Foster ... but I don't think he makes or breaks Iowa basketball.

Reactions: Fan In Black
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT