ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

The landscape of college basketball will continue to change with the transfer portal and the one-and-done ... I don't get too caught up in where a kid goes because in today's culture ... the chance that kid stays with you for four years will continue to decrease. Example: Having a kid come in and average 15.2 points for one season and then turn pro? Kid thinking he didn't get enough playing time as a freshman (hello transfer portal)?

The transfer portal allows coaches to rebuild quicker and gives average Joe's (i.e. Texas Tech, Virginia) just as good of chance to land in the Final 4. I think the days of seeing Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, etc., dominate will slowly come to an end.

As more schools will be faced with rebuilding on a yearly basis, this new landscape should allow a coach like Fran to not only make the tourney ... but make a decent run.

Have a bad season? Bring in 4-5 kids via the transfer portal and you might find yourself right back in the thick of things.

I'd love to see us land Foster ... but I don't think he makes or breaks Iowa basketball.

But, with the exception of Uthoff, Fran has shown he is either unwilling to dabble in the transfer portal or ineffective at getting contributors to come to Iowa after entering the portal.

But, with the exception of Uthoff, Fran has shown he is either unwilling to dabble in the transfer portal or ineffective at getting contributors to come to Iowa after entering the portal.
I think Fran won't have a choice but to get more involved in the portal. Every coach will be dabbling more and more in the portal ... Yes, is still comes down to "recruiting" a kid to come to your school ...

I'm not Osky Hawk but heard at the game Saturday from a tailgate neighbor from Eddyville that a waitress at the local diner overheard Xavier's girlfriend's second cousin felt he would go to either Iowa or Iowa State. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Bottom line, nobody knows. The young man has kept it close to the vest. It is his prerogative to take his time. His Dad has been quoted as saying that the family doesn't know which way he is leaning. Hope he becomes a Hawk but if not the sun will rise the next day.

Patience is a virtue, we'll all know on the 11th.
Please resist. That routine ceased being funny years ago.

I think Fran won't have a choice but to get more involved in the portal. Every coach will be dabbling more and more in the portal ... Yes, is still comes down to "recruiting" a kid to come to your school ...

Pretty much every P6 school is doing it now, including blue bloods like UNC, KU and UK.

So a highschool offensive lineman recruit has just as good of a shot to make the NFL if he goes to Iowa State as opposed to Iowa? Because I mean Iowa has a pretty good track record of developing Olineman and sending them to the league. Similar to what Iowa State is doing lately in basketball.
I have a hard time seeing how this is relevant. It seems the large majority of NBA players didn’t require much development in college as compared to football. College for basketball seems like it’s just a mandatory stepping stone because of the rules where college for football players, especially lineman, is a necessity.

Reactions: anon_wic6m41528ao4
I would much rather have a kid play for Fran. Prohm hasn’t really done anything of note after Hoibergs players left. They have a ton of roster turnover and internal issues it seems. Someone is always in trouble, fighting with a teammate, etc.

say what you want about Frans recruiting but he has a nearly ten year track record of kids graduating, mostly staying out of trouble, and his players love him.

LMFAO! Prohm has internal issues? You just had a senior transfer out from your program and may very well be a starter for the Kansas Jayhaws on a top 5 team in the country and your fanbase just brushes it off. And you claim the players love him? Come on man!

When Prohms players leave early it's for professional basketball.

I have a hard time seeing how this is relevant. It seems the large majority of NBA players didn’t require much development in college as compared to football. College for basketball seems like it’s just a mandatory stepping stone because of the rules where college for football players, especially lineman, is a necessity.
It really is an apples and oranges comparison

LMFAO! Prohm has internal issues? You just had a senior transfer out from your program and may very well be a starter for the Kansas Jayhaws on a top 5 team in the country and your fanbase just brushes it off. And you claim the players love him? Come on man!

Isnt it pretty well documented that there were big time chemistry issues in the ISU locker room last season?

Well some of turnover is related to kids leaving early for the NBA. Halliburton (who I believe you said when he signed there there was an MVC caliber player) will probably be the next to leave early.

Iowa has also had its share of turnover the last couple of years as well. They are not immune either, its the nature of things these days.

Kids play basketball for the fun, for competition, and for opportunities to win and to find a system that will help them expand their game.

iowa has bad players leave. ISU has good players leave.

That guy dropped like 38 spots to a 3 star. He only had a couple other P5 offers and some of those dropped off like Florida after they got higher rated players. Let's not pretend you beat out a bunch of blue bloods for a blue chip there.

He's way lower rated than the two SF Iowa has on its roster with Pat and Joe.

This dude has pounded his chest repeatedly that the Murray twins were being "looked at" by Auburn. Offer extended? No. Official visit? No. Just sniffing around though because Bruce Pearl was probably trying to do their Dad a favor.

Follows this up by completely discounting the fact that Dudley received scholarship offers from Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Marquette, Iowa State, etc...Were they commitable at the time he chose Iowa State? Reports are probably not. Who cares. Those schools priorities changed as they began to fill their class.

This dude has pounded his chest repeatedly that the Murray twins were being "looked at" by Auburn. Offer extended? No. Official visit? No. Just sniffing around though because Bruce Pearl was probably trying to do their Dad a favor.

Follows this up by completely discounting the fact that Dudley received scholarship offers from Florida, Florida State, Ohio State, Marquette, Iowa State, etc...Were they commitable at the time he chose Iowa State? Reports are probably not. Who cares. Those schools priorities changed as they began to fill their class.
lol

lol

What's McCaffreys track record (guard/forward/center doesnt matter)? Nader and Burton are both forwards and both likely owe much of their NBA careers to Prohm. Not to mention Niang (he was playing at an elite level before and after Prohm came).
lol

It’s not about nba minutes. It’s about nba paycheck. Also, do you suppose Ferentz let’s recruits know he can get them to the nfl better than Michigan when recruiting them? Yes he does. So does Prohm

Coaching is no where near as important in basketball.

Why are so many isu posters on IOWA boards?

I actually post on both ISU and Iowa boards and have kids at both universities. My daughter at Iowa is on the Club Soccer team so follow sports there too. I went to ISU undergrad and grad school thus my username and rooting loyalties, but I hope my posts here are respectful and not trolling.

My late uncle was an Iowa grad so I grew up going to games with him (he always wanted a designated driver as he enjoyed tailgating) and he would take me to the football game when at Kinnick and I would take him when it was at ISU. I worked in the same office with Steve Waite for years too.

I actually post on both ISU and Iowa boards and have kids at both universities. My daughter at Iowa is on the Club Soccer team so follow sports there too. I went to ISU undergrad and grad school thus my username and rooting loyalties, but I hope my posts here are respectful and not trolling.

My late uncle was an Iowa grad so I grew up going to games with him (he always wanted a designated driver as he enjoyed tailgating) and he would take me to the football game when at Kinnick and I would take him when it was at ISU. I worked in the same office with Steve Waite for years too.

Good post. There are actually a lot more dual fans (aside when we play each other) than the vocal minority may suggest.

And of course no Iowa hoops fan will ever forget Waite’s 3 point play against against Georgetown to send IA to the Final Four.

Neither Rivals or 247 show an offer from OSU, Marquette or FSU for Blackwell.

ISU has adopted a model that bring success if an institution is willing to sail under the skull and cross bones. The ship doesn't change but the crew is almost always new.

Of course they have locker room issues. The locker room is full of malcontents, locker room lawyers, semi literates and petty criminals. Not the typical forum for esprit de corps.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Looks like hearsay in all of your links. And when you actually go to his 247 profile through your link, none of the schools that he said offered him list offers except IA State. Sounds like it was wishful thinking on his part.

Looks like hearsay in all of your links. And when you actually go to his 247 profile through your link, none of the schools that he said offered him list offers except IA State. Sounds like it was wishful thinking on his part.

I'll take him for his word that those schools offered. Nonetheless he blew up in the summer circuit and received major interest from several top 25 caliber basketball programs. Hes gunna look dang good in that frontcourt with XF!

Interesting. 247 says no FL offer, but they do list OK State (not OH State) as does Rivals. The link was for a supposed OH State offer.

Honestly, who cares?

Why do we need to engage in a silly pissing match with Cyclone fans over one of their recruits?

Reactions: Cydkar
When comparing Iowa and ISU, one coach has a conference winning percentage of 48.6% and one has 48.8%. One inherited NBA players and one inherited a total pile. You tell me who the better basketball coach is.

Oh, Lawd. You've just invited those itching to start the "my conference is tougher than yours" diatribes to come out of the woodwork.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT